Chapter 29

Don't Love Me

Important stuff at the end!


Kai and I sit in the waiting room of the ICU. My head is tucked under his chin and his arms are wrapped around my frame, pulling me closer to his body. His gestures are comforting but they cannot stop the horrible queasiness in my stomach. Saemi, my poor baby. It kills me to know that she’s lying in pain as doctors tediously extract fragments of glass from her skin.

 

    Out of the corner of my eye I can see Taehyung curled up in the fetal position in front of Saemi’s door. He hasn’t moved an inch since we got here.

 

    A nurse steps out of the room and Taehyun shoots up. “How is she?” he demands. “Can I see her?”

 

    “She’s resting,” the nurse says firmly. “Now, what happened to the patient? How did she get like this?”

 

    Kai and I look at Taehyung expectantly. It takes him a moment before he tells us miserably, “Saemi and I were arguing over something in our project. My arm knocked into her dresser and a picture frame fell to the floor. The glass got everywhere and when she tried to jerk away she rolled right on top of the pieces...,”

 

He trails off, swallowing. “I’m sorry. This is all my fault. I’ll cover the hospital bills.”

 

    “There’s no need to do that.” I inform him frostily. “We’ll call Saemi’s parents-,”

 

    “Don’t!” Taehyung exclaims. “You... you can’t.”

 

    I scoff. “Why? Are you afraid her parents will get mad at you? That you’ll actually get in trouble for once in your spoiled, prosperous life?”

 

    “Sojin, calm down,” Kai murmurs in my ear, gently my hair. I exhale, sinking back down to the chair.

 

    “Ask her yourself,” Taehyung tells me in a low voice. “Saemi wouldn’t want her parents here. It’s not like they would come, anyway,” he adds softly.

 

I narrow my eyes at him, but before I can ask him what the hell he means by that, the nurse exclaims, “Enough! We shall wait until the patient wakes up, and then ask her.”

 

Taehyung sinks back down and buries his head in his hands.

 

“She’ll be fine,” Kai murmurs, tenderly kissing me on the forehead. “Don’t worry.”

 

My face reddens. “You didn’t have to kiss me,” I exhale.

 

“I didn’t have to. But my kisses have healing powers. They’ll make you feel better.”

 

Despite the tense situation that we’re in a smile spreads on my face. “I think they worked.”

 

“Good.” Kai burrows his face in my hair.

 

“Thanks for staying with me,” I tell him softly. “I appreciate it.”

 

He cracks a slight grin. “Can I have your number now?”

 


 

A few hours later, Saemi wakes up from her sleep. Kai, Taehyung, and I race into her room. She is sitting upright in her bed, propped up on a few pillows. Although her face looks very pale and there’s an IV tube attached to her arm, she’s alright for the most part.

 

“Saemi! Are you feeling alright?” I pull her into a huge hug. “Do your legs hurt a lot?”

 

“The doctors numbed my legs, so I can’t feel anything. I can imagine how much it’s going to hurt in the morning though.” She laughs.

 

    “The patient had extremely deep cuts.” the nurse informs me. “We had to surgically extract a few glass pieces which had penetrated especially far. She’ll have to use a wheelchair for a few weeks until her wounds heal.”

 

    Saemi’s face darkens. “How much will it cost?” she asks the nurse.

 

    From behind me, Taehyung says, “It doesn’t matter. I’ll pay.” He brushes past me and walks towards the side of Saemi’s bed. Her face blanches.

 

    “What are you doing here?” she says in a quiet voice. “It’s late. You should go home.”

 

    “Are you stupid?” Taehyung murmurs. “Why would I leave you? This is all my fault.”

 

    Saemi shakes her head. “It’s not. You knocked into my dresser on accident. Stop beating yourself up over it.”

 

    “Excuse me,” the nurse cuts in. “But will Kim Saemi’s guardians please follow me to discuss our payment plan?”

 

    “Saemi, tell me your parents’ number,” I say, pulling out my phone. She winces.

 

    “I said I’ll pay,” Taehyung growls, glaring at me. “This is my fault.”

 

    “Don’t do that,” Saemi protests.

 

    “You know what?” I hiss. “If you don't want to call her parents, then fine. I’m taking care of her bills."

 

    And I stride out of Saemi’s hospital room.


    When I return, Kai is standing outside of Saemi’s room.

    “Taehyung wanted some alone time with Saemi,” he shrugs. “What is it with those two?”

 

    I shake my head. “Saemi has something that she’s not telling me.”

 

    The door opens, and Taehyung is wheeling Saemi out of the room. She is lying back in her wheelchair, looking a tad flushed. “Thank you so much,” she tells me, wrapping her arms around me.

 

    After the nurse gives me a few instructions on how to take care of Saemi, the 4 of us leave the hospital. “I’m leaving,” Taehyung says, and starts to wheel away Saemi with him.

 

    “Whoa, whoa, whoa!” I grab the side of Saemi’s wheelchair. “Where are you going with Saemi?”

 

    He shoots me a death glare. “She’s coming with me.”

 

    “Oh, really? What if you screw up again and she gets hurt? And it’s late! Saemi has to sleep!” I yell. Kai gently places a hand on my shoulder.

 

    “Saemi’s staying at my house,” Taehyung informs me, and my jaw drops.

 

    I decide to appeal to my intern instead. “Saemi! Are you listening to him?”

 

    She doesn’t reply for a while. Finally, she looks up at me and says, “It’s alright. I’ll make sure I don’t get hurt again.”

 

    “Are you kidding me? No, Saemi, I’m going to take care of you properly. Taehyung is your age. Do you really think he knows how to take care of injured people?”

 

    “He’s done it before,” she says softly. My eyebrows shoot up.

    “Fine. But if you get hurt again, don’t say I didn’t warn you.” And I storm away from her, tears pricking at my eyes.


A/N: Are you sensing something deeper between Taehyung and Saemi? And oooh look's like Sojin's alone in her apartment now alright ;)

I started another fanfic called Mindless. It's with Onew and an OC! It's kind of creepy and different (Onew is a psychopath) and I'm excited to be writing something like this! Click here to see it. 

ALSO SOME AMAZING READERS MADE SOME FAN-ING-TASTIC POSTERS AND I'M CRYING THEY ARE AMAZING!!

BABY_ZELO15 

 

balloon_

 

smileb at Mochi & Mochi   (REQUESTED)

THEY LOOK AMAZING AND I STARTED TEARING UP WHEN I SAW THEM