It's our path

It Happens

 

Seung Hyuns fist landed on the table, the old wood whined from the blow. “An arranged marriage?” Joons voiced echoed in the room. Seung Hyun growled.  “Come on man.” Joon came to stand beside him, “You know we’re all bound for that eventually.” He looked behind him, the other two boys nodded, “It’s how all our lives are going to play out.” Dong Woon stepped in, Seung Hyun let out another growl and turned around.

“I know.” He gave up. “Do you know who she is?” Joon asked,

“Lee Eun Hee.”

For a while the room was silent, Dong Woon felt his jaw tighten. Joon caught his glance, only Joon knew, the other two didn’t. Dong Woon could see, hell anyone could see Joon was worried, “Are..are you sure?” he asked, his eyes never leaving Dong Woons.

Seung Hyun nodded.

Something flashed across Woon’s eyes. Anger? Jealousy? Sadness. Then he sighed, it wasn’t Seung Hyun’s fault, he didn’t even know. The muscles in his neck relaxed, simultaneously  he let out a quiet sigh. Calm yourself, take this in strides. Go talk to her, a voice told him. Go to her, go now. She needs you.


 I liked that path between the main building and the gymnasium, the one that cut through the forest. “You’re kidding right?” Soo Jins face was pale, “I’m not.” I muttered, “But what the hell!” she exclaimed, “They can’t do that!” her eyes widened at my silence, “They can.” I said after a while, “It’s important for the company.” She fell silent.

I had thought the situation over at least a dozen times since my parents first told me. “Well who is it?” she asked, she wanted to know, but at the same time, she didn’t want to know at all. She didn’t want to give up her best friend to some guy. I knew it all too well. “You’re gonna love him” I began, “He’s really good looking, in fact. I think you know him.” I said cautiously. Because it was true, we knew him. We spent every day since kindergarten with him. “I..I do.” She was confused. I nodded, “Seung Hyun oppa.” I said quietly. The silence following my confession seemed to last an eternity. The coffee shop seemed to grow louder as Soo Jin took it all in. then she relaxed, “Well at least you’ll be rich. And he’s hot.” I scoffed “You’re the same.”

I opened my eyes, “You’re sitting on my bench.” A voice said. I smiled, “Does it have your name on it?” the voice chuckled, “Same answer?” it asked, “Same question.” I replied, “It wasn’t a question.” The voice rebounded. “Oppa!!” I whined. He smiled, but only so I caught it, “Is it true?” He sat down beside me. Trying not to look at me. I knew it. I was silent for a while, what he meant, the arrangement, did they already discuss it? “Ne.” I said quietly. “And you agree with it?” his tone shifted, but only slightly, “It doesn’t matter.” I answered, he looked at me then, “Mwo?” another shift. “Don’t do that, you know this too. It doesn’t matter what either of us want. It’s a merger opportunity, this might as well be a business transaction. Like giving money, or suppor-“

“In return for a life?” he paused cutting me off. “A miserable life, at that, with someone who doesn’t care in the least for you?” he was angry. Clearly, I was too. I sighed, “Dong Woon-ah, this isn’t set in stone. There hasn’t even been a marriage meeting yet. Why are you like this?” there was that silence again. That silence that seemed to drag on for hours when it could have lasted just seconds, that silence that meant he was thinking, that silence that scared me because I didn’t know what would happen when it was broken.

“Mianhe.” He said at length, “I was over reacting.” We’d been friends since we were little, but so were him and Seung Hyun. Awkwardly, Seung Hyun didn’t seem to know that first bit of information. I had thought, being friends for so long, there were times when I wasn’t sure how far our friendship extended, whether we had crossed the friendship line into a new breed of relationship. I loved him, I’ve told him before. But in a way that wasn’t romantic love. We made that much clear to each other. It was a lifetime promise, the kind I had with Soo Jin. That we would take care of each other. No matter the circumstance.