Even as Life Gets Hard, Love Remains

Even as Life Gets Hard, Love Remains

 

 

Everyday it was the same routine. Wake up, brush teeth, wash up, eat whatever crap they had left in the kitchen, take a few bills from the wad of cash they had left and head of to work to make a living.

 

-

 

Luhan and Yixing were best friends from a very young age. They had it better when they were younger, but now they left home. They came to a different country to follow their dreams. It wasn't working out to well though. They were poor as hell, barely managed to even get a small apartment and were basically living off of cup ramyun and few pairs of clothes. Nonetheless, they've stuck together. They've been together from the start, there's no separating now.

 

Luhan was the first to find work. It was at a coffee shop. He had a cute face and that's what the cafe needed, so he got his uniform on the spot and thumbs up saying 'you can start tomorrow.' Luhan was relieved. After weeks of searching, he finally got something. The pay wasn't as good as hoped, since two people were to be maintained, but it was better than nothing.

 

Yixing just couldn't find work. He tried and tried, but they all let him down. He felt like . He didn't know what was wrong with him. He was willing to work hard, he knew how to cook, he could play the guitar and piano, but 'no, I'm sorry' was all he heard. And so after all this lost hope, he just took his guitar with him, sat on the side of the road near Luhan's work place and plays and sings. Bills and coins dropped every now and then into his guitar case, and he's grateful, but he wanted a real job. He couldn't just depend on the elder, he wanted to help out too.

 

He picks up Luhan from work every day. They walked side by side, shoulders brushing now and then as they carried on silently. It was comforting, the silence they walked in, it always was. They reached the small apartment with a sigh and walked in, removing their shoes near the doorway.

 

"Hungry?"

 

Luhan nodded, and Yixing headed to the kitchen to make some ramyun, as usual. Luhan sat on the floor near the kitchen, stretching out his legs from a long day at work. "How was today?" Yixing just nodded and took out the few bills he managed to make that day. Luhan smiled. It wasn't much, but he was grateful the younger was trying his best. "How about you?" Luhan nodded, "Alright, I guess." Yixing gave him a small smile. "Here, eat up." he laid down two bowls ramyun on the floor, their makeshift table, and handed a pair of chopsticks to the elder, holding onto a pair for himself. Luhan sighed at the sight of the same old noodles but thanked his best friend nonetheless. He needed to eat and get some sleep, to wake to same damn routine once more.

 

They finished eating in a rather awkward silence, but both of them didn't seem to notice. Yixing cleaned up the bowls and kitchen, while Luhan washed up first.

 

Luhan was out by the time Yixing finished tidying up the small place and went to wash up next. Luhan stripped off his clothes and dove under the thin blankets. 'You're doing this for your dream, Luhan. You can do it.' He tried cheering himself up, but it's much easier said than done. Yixing finished up after awhile and he was surprised to see Luhan already asleep. They usually talk late into the night about anything and everything.

 

"Lu.. You're already asleep?" The was no response. "Oh. I guess so.." Yixing stripped off his clothes and laid down on his side, Luhan's back facing him. "I.. I'm sorry, Lu.. I'll try harder tomorrow." he whispered before closing his eyes and turning on his other side. Luhan's eyes were closed, yet a tear still escaped.

 

Luhan woke up the next morning with a sigh. He got up, brushed his teeth, washed up a little and put on his uniform. He smelled it and figured he'd have to hand-wash it when he got back. He sighed once more. He went to the kitchen and Yixing was already there preparing some leftover bread he had brought from the cafe. "Thanks Xing, I'm going!" he grabbed a slice, gave the younger a small smile and left in a rush. "Wait, I wanted to.. ask you about yesterday.." Yixing mumbled to the empty room. "Ah, he's probably just busy and stressed.." Yixing nodded to himself. He ate a piece of bread and put the rest away for later.

 

He quickly wore his hoodie, grabbed his guitar and left in search once more after locking the door. He went store to store, asking each owner if they had work, but nothing. His Korean is not good enough, he doesn't suit the store's requirements, they're not hiring.. He's heard it all, and he is so tired. He's tired of being rejected day in and day out, he sick of it. He bows politely saying he understands and leaves the store, frustration through the roof and his grip on his guitar tight. He finds a spot near the corner of block and takes out his guitar, the only thing that'll give him peace in this unfair world and he plays. He plays what he feels. His rage at the world, at himself, at Luhan for not being there yesterday, at his future that he doesn't know what to expect, and his rage at his mom who said, "You'll be fine, everything will work out." He played that day, until his fingers hurt and dry tears ran down his face.

 

-

 

Luhan's day wasn't the best either. He got an order wrong, broke two glass cups and dropped some coffee on a customer. He was literally a mistake away from being fired. He took a deep breath, 'You're doing this for your dream, Luhan. Our dream. Think about Yixing.' He gritted his teeth and closed his eyes, anger at himself forming deep in his gut. He couldn't afford to lose this job. He wouldn't. "Luhan!" He took a deep breath. "I'll be right there!" He finished off the day's work mistake free, determination firing within him. He put he apron up, pulled on his hoodie and reached for the door. Yixing was already there. He suddenly felt weak, his determination diminishing.

 

He walked out and gave Yixing a small smile. The younger returned it and the started walking in direction of their place. They weren't in sync though, Luhan walking a little behind. They walked in silence. When they entered their apartment, Yixing grabbed Luhan's wrist. "Lu, talk to me." Luhan's every frustration at himself and every last feeling of anger crashed on him at that very moment.

 

"What's wrong?"

 

Luhan looked at Yixing with a bitter expression. "You know what's wrong, Xing? I can't ing do this anymore! I can't ing act like everything will be okay. I work my off, and everything I do is wrong. I don't even know if I'll be able to keep my job. I-" Yixing let's go of Luhan's arm and yells. "I know, Luhan! I know what it's like to feel like you can't do anything. I roamed around there all ing day and all I heard was I'm sorry and no. And you know what? I'm gonna try again tomorrow and the day after, until I get a ing job. You know why, Luhan? Because I believe in us."

 

They were both crying, the younger wiped his face with the back of his hands irritably and continued, "I want to help make our dreams come true, Luhan. We're poor, I know. We don't have , I know. But we have each other, Lu. And if you don't believe in yourself, how are we gonna make this work." Luhan sniffled nosily, "I'm sorry, Xing.. I'm really, really sorry." He extended his arms and Yixing walked into them. The elder buried his face in the younger's shoulder and sobbed silently. Yixing patted his head gently whispering, "It'll be okay.. We can make this work."

 

-

 

They went to sleep in each others arms that night. They were each other's safety blanket. They can overcome anything as long as they're together because even as life gets hard, love remains. Their friendship ran deeper than love. They yell and scream at each other, they lose hope in themselves, but at the end of the day what gives them hope is each other.

 

-

 

They celebrate when Yixing finally finds work a month later. It's progress. The rings on their fingers, tying them together with the strongest friendship, is their promise. They'll get through this together, no matter how long it takes. It's their dream and nothing, not one, single, ing thing can get in the way of that. Not one.

--

I hope this was enjoyable! It was really interesting writing this one since it was a little out of my usual fluff so yeah, I hope it was good enough ahh. Please leave me some comments, I really would appreciate that! <3