The Liar, the Witch and the Tug of War (part 3)

Stealing G-dragon

 

 

-- Just pull at the opposite ends of a rope until one drags the other over a central line. 

----------------

 

The Tug of War

 

 

After rushing out the ladies' room, I went to look for Jiyong. I need to tell him the truth about his "perfect fiancee".

Let's see…Where could he be? He is not dancing nor drinking... I went out to look outside and there he is, smoking.

"Ji--" I was going to call him when I noticed he wasn't alone.

"Please babe, make an effort to be close to her… She's usually shy with strangers, so you need to be the one to approach her." I heard him say.

He is talking in english since his fiancee, Kiko, doesn't speak Korean well.

"I have no qualms being friends with her…but she seems awkward to me." his fiancee said.

I heard Jiyong chuckled. "She's awkward with everybody, that's one of her charms."

I didn't hear her answer.

"Don't tell me, you're jealous of her?" Jiyong chuckled, as if it was so ridiculous to get jealous of me.

"You wish!" she answered back with a hint of irritation in her voice which made Jiyong laugh.

"You know very well how much I'm deeply under your spell, right?" he said but I didn't hear any answer from her. "I love you,  babe~" he cooed.

Those words struck me like lightning. I realized how stupid my plan was. I forgot one important detail, he is madly in love with her. Confronting him and telling him the truth about his fiancee will not make him say, "Oh, thank you Dara for telling me, what a good friend you are~" but instead, it will hurt him bad and I'll end up as the villain.

What should I do?

I really don't know. All I know is, I can't just leave my best friend under that wicked witch's spell and let her devour him later on. Right now, I have to pull him away from her claws. Here it goes... 

Charge!

"Jiyongie~ There you are. I was looking for you all over the place." I said making my voice extra cute. "Minji is sad right now because you were only partying with your Japanese friends…" I said in Korean and took a glance at the girl on his left when I uttered the last words. I wrapped my arms around his, ready to drag him away. "Let's go!"

"Ah…wait--" Jiyong was about to protest but I drag him as fast as I could, not letting him. I saw him looked back to his fiancee and shouted he'll be back.

Hmmm... Let's see about that.

 

 

"Jiyong-oppa!" Minji called.

"Finally…" CL said. She handed Jiyong a gift. "Here...but where is Kiko?"

Jiyong looked at me before he answered. I turned my head to avoid his gaze.

"She's… outside taking fresh air." he said. "What's this?" he asked curious at the gift.

"Just a little something we bought to congratulate you guys…" CL answered.

"Thanks, Chaerin-ah." he said giving her a hug.

"Oh no, it's not only from me but from all four of us. Dara-unnie was actually the one who came up with the gift." she said.

Jiyong's smile went wider and came over to me to give me a hug. "Thanks, Dee." he whispered. I just gave him a meek response.

When I looked at him, he looks like a kid opening his christmas gift. It is a promise bracelet that I especially asked the manufacturer to make, custom made for them. His eyes brighten up upon seeing the pair of bracelet.

"This is the best!" he exclaimed. "Kiko will love this." 

I bet.

 

 

Tired from dancing, I sat down for a while. I removed my shoes and found blisters on my feet. I was about to fix the band-aid I put on it earlier, when I felt someone sat beside me. I immediately put my shoes back on.

"What are you doing?" Jiyong asked, leaning closer to see what was under the table.

"Nothing." I told him hoping that he will move his body away. But to my dismay, he didn't. He moved his face closer to mine, and continued his prying. "I don't think so... You are hiding something." I can smell the alcohol from his breath. This is dangerously close. I unconsciously held my breath and instead of answering him, I stare blankly at him.  I suddenly felt conscious of his stare that my heart starts pounding loudly. I can almost hear it and I'm afraid he will hear it too, so I push him away. 

"I was just teasing you. Here take a drink, you must be thirsty." he said giving me a glass of martini.

"Where is your fiancee?" I asked while composing myself.

He was scanning the place and didn't find her. "She probably went outside again with her friends." He casually said. Then he leaned forward and grab the glass of wine on the table.

"Don't you find it hard to communicate?" I asked curiously. He glanced at me before he leaned back with his drink on one hand. 

"Love is like music, it transcends language barrier." He stated in a pompous manner. I can't help but twitch my eyes in annoyance.

I was honestly asking seriously here. 

"In translation, less talk just ? Right?" I said blatantly that made him spilled his drink.

"Dara!" he scolded.

I can't help but laugh out loud at his state, he was all red from coughing and I can see the wine dripping from his nose.

"Oh my gosh! Jiyong are you ok?" I didn't notice Kiko was already inside the premises. She rushed immediately to Jiyong's aide, caressing his back. 

Jiyong settled after a few seconds. "Don't worry, I'm ok."

"You want some water?" she offered.

"No..no…I'm good." 

"He'll live." I commented. But Ms. Kiko didn't like my side remark as she threw me a death glare.

"Do you want anything?" she asked his boyfriend. 

"I think I need to grab something to eat." 

 

 

We accompanied Jiyong to the buffet table. I tagged along because I'm starving already. I didn't get a chance to eat ever since I left home.

"Honey, here eat this. It tastes good." Kiko placed something on his plate.

As I saw the food, I put it back on the table. Kiko was giving me an incredulous look so I gave her one too.

"What is your problem?" she was exasperated.

I was about to answer her, but Jiyong beat me to it.

"I'm allergic to it." he said.

Kiko's irritation turned to embarrassment. "Oh~ You never told me that." she said feeling quite betrayed.

"I'm sorry. I didn't get the umm… opportunity to bring it up. It's not really fatal… It's just that….umm… I get….umm... rashes and... itching." he said struggling to explain. 

"Here, Ji. This is your favorite." I butted in... just for fun.

All night I've been tailing the couple. I know it sounds immature but I'm afraid for Jiyong's safety.

I can't believe she doesn't even know he's allergic to shrimp. Really, what do they only talk about? and they said they want to marry? What are these kids thinking?

---

Somewhere along the line, I lost the couple...

"Hey, have you--"

"Jiyong oppa went outside just a while ago." CL answered.

"Oh thanks."

I was about to go where the exit is, but turned back to face CL. "How did you know that, I was going to ask--" 

"where Jiyong oppa is?" she completed the question for me with a smirk plastered on her face.

"Because you're so obvious, unnie." Minji answered instead of CL.

I look at her, "Obvious?" I asked, oblivious.

"You obviously wanted Jiyong-oppa's attention." CL answered for Minji this time.

"Bom unnie said you and Kiko are playing tug of war." Minji added.

"T-tug of-what?"

"Tug of war. Both Kiko and you are pulling Jiyong oppa on opposite directions, pulling him to come to your side, thus the tug of war." CL explained even demonstrating the tug of war with Minji's help. Both of them pulling me on opposite ends. 

"I'm not playing a silly game." I denied with arms wide open. Minji and CL are still holding my arms.

"But aren't you curious who will win?" Bom interjected. Suddenly appearing from nowhere.

"What?" 

Ignoring my presence, Bom started acting like an MC. "Who will he choose? The cutie best friend for several years or the y girl friend for several months?"

What is this, 'Ideal Type World Cup' or something?

"Isn't it obvious? Of course it's Dara unnie. They've been together longer." Minji started.

"But...we can't disregard the fact that Kiko is the fiancee and Jiyong oppa is known for his loyalty. I will not deny the existence of this certain bond uniquely between Dara-unnie and oppa though." CL commented.

"That's why it's Dara unnie!" Minji concluded.

"But Minji, we can't be sure unless oppa said so." CL said.

"So, Dara. What do you think?" Bom turned to me.

"I think it's absurd."

"Actually, you pulling a 180 degrees turn is more absurd. What happened to you? I thought you want him to be happy?" 

'Yes, I do...but she's not with her...she'll end up hurting him.' I wanted to say it to Bom but---

"Guys we need to go. Kiko has an early flight tomorrow to Japan." Jiyong suddenly interrupted. 

I noticed him holding Kiko's hand. "Bye!" he said in a rush. I remained still on my spot while watching them leave hand in hand, walking through the crowd.

 

'who will he choose?' Bom's voice echoed in my head.

 

 

I want to know….

 

 

"Wait Jiyong!" I called out. He probably didn't hear me because of the loud music.

 

 

…..who will he choose...?

 

 

I ran after him and managed to tugged the sleeve of his jacket but in doing so, I stepped on a wrong foot…

 

 

……Is it me?

 

 

 

 

"Dara!!!" 

 

----

 

I am now inside my room, lying on my bed with a bandage on my right foot. 

"I can't believe you…What were you thinking?" Jiyong immediately started scolding me after the doctor left.

 

I know…what was I thinking?

 

"Buying that 5-inch heel shoes when you can't even walk at 2?"

 

I just don't want to look too short next to your fiancee, that's all.

 

"What do you have to say for yourself?" he asked, obviously mad at me. Instead of answering him, I cover myself with my blanket. "Dara?!" he frustratedly called out. 

Next thing I knew, he was lying next to me.

"What stupid stunt were you trying, huh?" he said, now his voice is more gentle.

"I was actually trying the head spin, but then, I forgot you need to use your head not your ankle to spin."

He just laughed at my ridiculous answer. "You're not going to tell me the real reason right?"

I nodded. "I need to save my pride…if there's any left."

"Don't worry you got lots of them. But then again, if you count how many times you've lost it all these years, I'm not so sure..." He said earning a glare from me.

I assumed a sitting position and hit him hard with my pillow. "Ouch, that hurts."

"You deserve it." I said. Instead of backing down, he grabbed the pillow beside him. Hence, a pillow fight ensues. The fight didn't last long as we both easily lose our energy and so we agreed for a truce.

While silently resting on the headboard, Jiyong spoke, "Dara, please get along with Kiko." 

I turned to him, my mouth remained shut.

"The president is actually against the whole thing…" he confessed. Jiyong placed his arms above his head. "He said that I need to stop playing Romeo before a big scandal breaks." He scoffed.

I remained silent.

"Dara... I might just leave the company."

That made me froze, for a moment, I thought the world stopped.

"Are you crazy?! That's like a career suicide! You know they will not let you go unscathed." I exasperated. "You're willing to risk everything just for her?" I asked failing to hide my contempt for his fiancee.

He turned to face me for his answer but his phone suddenly rang. He stood up and answered the call instead, leaving me alone in the room. I don't have to ask to know the caller.

 

"I have to go, I need to send Kiko early to the airport. " Jiyong said as soon as he came back in the room. "Her flight is…" he looked at his watch "…actually, 5 hours from now." 

What if I ask you to stay, will you?  I wanted to ask him that but because I'm a coward I opted for the immature one.

"You're just leaving me like this?" I bitterly said. 

"I called Bom to come over." he reasoned out.

"I can't walk Jiyong! How do you expect me to function?!" I lashed out.

 

"Hey guys! I'm here!" I heard Bom yelling from the living room.

"I need to go, Dara." he reluctantly said. "Bom is here to help you. I'll come by tomorrow after sending Kiko to the airport."

I didn't answer giving him the cold shoulder. 

I'm mad, definitely. Mad at him for choosing her. Mad at her for taking him away. Mad at myself for being so weak.

 

___

 

"I lost the tug of war, huh?" I mumbled.

"Huh?" I didn't notice Bom is already at my face.

"I said, I want to eat ramen!"

"I can't believe you are giving me work right after I got here." She complained.

I sighed, I just need to get stronger...

 

-------------------

As I was eating ramen...I decided to text Jiyong to apologize. I acted like a brat, I even forgot to say thank you...I hope he arrived home safely... I opened my phone and a text message from an unknown number was there.

   ---the text---

    I'm warning you. I'll use simple english so you will understand. 

    Back off! Jiyong is mine and I hate people taking what is mine.

    If you don't want to get hurt, hands off! !

 

I squinted my eyes and clutched my phone. This is official. Child's game is over. This is war.

I carefully placed my chopsticks on the table.

"Bom, I need a plan."

She looked at me with a scrunched face. 

"A plan for what?"

"Stealing the dragon."

 

-----------------

 

They say, all is fair in love and war.

 

 

 

 

 

 

So be it.

-------------------

 

-- Now ladies, let's play the tug of war!