Chapter 3

Tell Me Now

 

Chanyeol did enjoy Baekhyun’s company and he was almost disappointed when his phone lighted up because of the call from the hospital. If it weren’t for Kyungsoo, he almost believed that he wouldn’t have left Baekhyun’s apartment, leaving his new friend in such an unrespecting way. He didn’t miss the latter’s disappointed, if not angry, stare at him but he could do nothing so he quickly brushed it off. Kyungsoo’s body was unstable again and now he was in a critical condition. He was stumbling to the hospital, almost crying and pulling his hair out in frustration if he didn’t remember he had promised Kyungsoo, his Kyungsoo, that he would be strong for the both of them.

To him, Kyungsoo was his everything. He didn’t know either what were Kyungsoo and him, but did besfriends kiss? All he knew that he loved Kyungsoo and as cliche as a romance novel, he would die for him.

Kyungsoo’s doctor just opened the door of Kyungsoo’s room after checking in on him with a nurse cradling documents of Kyungsoo’s medical record in her hands when he noticed Chanyeol. He almost lunged forward at the doctor and shook his shoulders, asking how was Kyungsoo if the doctor didn’t pacify him with a reassuring dimpled smile. Dr Zhang informed Chanyeol that Kyungsoo had been treated and he was back to his normal condition, only needed to check in on him more often.

Chanyeol opened the door slowly to Kyungsoo’s room, wiping his tears quietly and putting on a forced smile. He had to be strong in front of his bestfriend even though he couldn’t see him, Chanyeol believed Kyungsoo could hear him though. Grabbing a chair on his way and putting it beside Kyungsoo’s bed, Chanyeol then cradled his bestfriend’s hand and kissed it softly, as if afraid of hurting him.

“Soo, how are you?” His voice was a little bit cracked in the end and his eyes b with tears. He let out a long sigh to calm himself down and carressed Kyungsoo’s hand lovingly. “Did you miss me? Don’t ever do that again. You’re scaring the hell out of me.” He chuckled quietly.

Chanyeol planned to stay there for a moment, savoring the silence engufling them with his lips on Kyungsoo’s hand resting in his. His eyes never left Kyungsoo while remembering beautiful moments he had with his bestfriend.

 

--

 

Baekhyun was tightening his scarf around his neck and pulling it to his nose, burying half of his face into it. He no longer used his crutches. The doctor freed him from it earlier because his ankle was getting better faster than they thought it would be, much to his delight. Winter was in front of his eyes and the day is getting colder and colder, it wasn’t that he hated cold, but cold made him want to snuggle in his blanket forever with a cup of hot tea and a good movie to watch. If it weren’t for his future, he would rather sleep in his warm apartment than walking in the cold weather to the city library.

Baekhyun was in his usual spot by the door when he noticed a tall lanky figure walked slowly through the crowd and then stood still in front of the florist. Chanyeol. He sighed, remember the unpleasant event the day before. He thought sleeping it off would make him forget it, but it didn’t. Sleeping it off just made him think more clearly about it and he really could understand whatever Chanyeol’s reason to leave him like that was so important. After waking up and thinking about it, he remembered the look on Chanyeol’s face told him that the taller was a little bit panicking and the call seemed so urgent. He decided to just ask him if he were okay later when he was done with his books.

After half an hour, Baekhyun was done reading and he automatically looked at the sidewalk accross him. Chanyeol was still there, the hem of his ped oversized black jacket was swaying a little bit because of the wind. He wondered whether or not he was cold with his body exposed to so much wind. He gathered his stuffs and tucked the books back to its place before walking outside the library, didn’t even notice that his pace was getting faster and faster.

It was when he was crossing the street with a little crowd when Chanyeol noticed him. Baekhyun could see the surprised expression across his face before it changed into a, if Baekhyun didn’t understand wrongly, guilty expression. Chanyeol walked towards the end of the zebra cross, apparently waiting for Baekhyun. Baekhyun walked slowly, preparing himself to whatever the taller would tell him and whatever he was going to tell to Chanyeol.

“Baekhyun.” Chanyeol said, rather shakingly. He himself didn’t know whether it was because of the cold or the guilt pooling in his chest. He noticed the latter walked off to him with obvious uneasy expression that made him relieved, at least he wasn’t the only one who was a little bit nervous with this encounter.

“Hi, Chanyeol.” Baekhyun smiled. The taller noticed that the smile was indeed beautiful and rather blinding, just like Kyungsoo’s.

“I’m sorry for—“

“It’s okay.” Baekhyun cut off. “I understand. You looked a little bit panicked, no, very panicked yesterday. Is everything okay?”

Chanyeol ducked and scratched the back of his neck. “Yes. I’m okay.”

Even though Chanyeol was covering it, Baekhyun didn’t miss the exhausted and pale face in front of him. “Are you sure? You look.. terrible. Did you even have sleep Chanyeol?” He looked at Chanyeol with an observant look. Didn’t believed in Chanyeol even a bit. “You know you can tell me anything. If you want of course.”

Chanyeol stared at Baekhyun, prolly mulling over whether or not he should tell Baekhyun. He sighed before deciding maybe telling Baekhyun would be completely okay. He was always kind to him anyway. “Can you come with me?”

Baekhyun was a little bit confused with the offer but he nodded anyway. Even though he was no longer using his crutches, he still had a few days forlough and he would use it as well as possible before going back to his routine in EXO so he would not go to work today. He was surprised though when the younger tugged his wrist and led him to a direction Baekhyun didn’t even notice where. He was too mesmerized with the small contact that sent a tingling sensation all over his body. The cold on his face suddenly changed into warmth and he was 100% sure his face was getting redder. He let himself be led by Chanyeol and kept walking behind him. His gaze was fixed on his wrist where Chanyeol’s hand was holding him strongly yet it felt soft and comfy.

“Where are we going actually?” Baekhyun tore his gaze from Chanyeol after stumbling at random things on the sidewalk several times. He was still walking behind Chanyeol, trying to keep up with Chanyeol’s long pace.

“I’d like you to meet someone.” Chanyeol slower his pace a bit when he realized the shorter couldn’t keep up with him.

 

--

 

Baekhyun was blank when Chanyeol brought him to a hospital not too far from the city library. Chanyeol’s pace was slow but sure though so he just walked beside the taller, still with the grip in his wrist.

“Chanyeol what are we—“ Baekhyun’s words were halted when Chanyeol stopped in front of a door, most likely a patient room, and slipped his grip off. Baekhyun glanced from the door in front of him with a label name “Do Kyungsoo” to his wrist and he resisted the frown threatening to showed up on his face.

The younger sighed before opening the door, didn’t bother to answer Baekhyun’s question. Baekhyun once again following Chanyeol walked into the room and the sight greeting his eyes was making his frown show up immediately. A beautiful man was lying peacefully on the white bed. His complexion was as white as snow and the broken white comforter covering him was a complete match with his skin. His hair was cut short and in some places Baekhyun could see twitches, almost covered with growing hair. Despite his pale lips, he still looked so adorable and Baekhyun thought a man as beautiful as Do Kyungsoo didn’t deserve to lie on the hospital bed like that, struggling with the pain in his body. He should be outside, doing many things and made people fall the beautiful face of his.

Baekhyun opened his mouth before shutting it again, not knowing what to say. The sight in front of him was making his heart wrenched. He averted his gaze to Chanyeol who was now standing beside the bed. He approached Chanyeol and stood beside him. Now that he could see Chanyeol’s eyes, he felt his heart ached more than before. The gaze was full of fondness and longing. The silence was engulfing them for a few minutes, both of them was at a loss of words. Chanyeol was busy Kyungsoo’s hand in a circle while Baekhyun was thinking of what to say.

“He’s beautiful.” Those were Baekhyun’s first words.

“He’s Kyungsoo.” Chanyeol finally tore his gaze from Kyungsoo and stared at Baekhyun instead. “He’s my...” He turned his head toward Kyungsoo again and gulped. “Bestfriend.”

Somehow Baekhyun could see that Chanyeol and Kyungsoo weren’t just bestfriends, or at least Chanyeol thought Kyungsoo was more than his bestfriend. He just nodded at that, once again didn’t know what to say and silence immediately embracing them again, saved for the sound of the machines around Kyungsoo’s bed.

This time it was Chanyeol who broke the silence. “Kyungsoo this is my new friend, Baekhyun. Baekhyun this is Kyungsoo. My bestfriend.” Chanyeol smiled slightly before tugging Baekhyun’s hand and putting in on Kyungsoo’s hand, attempting a handshake.

“Hi, Kyungsoo. I hope we could be good friends.” Baekhyun smiled too and shook his hand several time, then put it on his side slowly, as if afraid of breaking it.

 

--

 

They were sitting on a bench in the hospital park. Chanyeol’s long legs stretched and rested on the rim of a little fishpond, almost touching it to the water.

“Kyungsoo had this accident three months ago. We planned to pay a visit to Soo’s grandmama’s grave and he wanted to bring her flowers. Kyungsoo was always closed to his grandmama. So close because his parents were always going on a business trip ever since he was a kid and left Soo with his grandmama. He was smiling so brightly when he crossed the street from the city library to the florist. I knew he was happy because he was going to meet his grandmama. He likes to talk to her grave, talking about everything and he never spills even a drop of tears, even though the day after the visit I would always find him with big puffy eyes. He was, is, tough. I was standing in front of the florist waiting for him, watching him crossing the street. Too bad his smile was so blinding that I couldn’t even see a car speeding toward him, and then it just happened. I was so stupid, I regret it. Kyungsoo was so great and happy at that time but that stupid driver of course had to hit him with his stupid car and I was an idiot who didn’t even warn him.” Baekhyun could see Chanyeol’s face was b with tears. He then looked up to keep the tears from spilling. “It’s been three months since the accident and he is in coma. No signs of him waking up. He’s suffering from a major concussion.” Chanyeol rubbed his hands to his face and Baekhyun could see tears flowing from the gaps of his fingers. The older put a reassuring hand on his shoulder and Chanyeol’s body suddenly  trembling hard. “I was stupid Baekhyun. I didn’t even warn him about the car. I was too- I was too blinded by his happy smile. He was so beautiful. What have I done Baekhyun? Why it must be him? I stand there in front of the florist everyday to see if there ever be someone who has the tragic fate like Kyungsoo. I just can’t believe it.”

Baekhyun stayed silent, waiting Chanyeol to pacify himself. It was heartbreaking to see Chanyeol breaking down in front of him. “It’s not all your fault Chanyeol. Everybody can be unaware sometimes.” He wanted to sob too. His heart ached because of Chanyeol’s words, Chanyeol’s cry, Chanyeol’s state which was so vulnerable and weak.

The older kept circles on Chanyeol’s shoulder as he waited the latter to pacify himself. A few minutes later his cry was coming to a halt and his breath even. Chanyeol uncovered his face and started wiping his tears before looking at Baekhyun with a serious face.

“This is why I left you yesterday, Baekhyun. I’m sorry. I got a call from the doctor that Kyungsoo’s condition was dropping, fortunately doctor Zhang could treat him quickly enough and he was back to his stable condition. I’m so sorry.”

Baekhyun shook his head. “It’s okay Chanyeol. Really, I understand.” Baekhyun offered a reassuring smile. The taller was more than relieved that Baekhyun let it pass.

They stayed in silence for a while, taking the nice view surrounding them and let their stress relieved a bit.

“Chanyeol.” Baekhyun said. His voice wasn’t so loud, didn’t want to startle the now calmed down Chanyeol beside him. “What if I become, you know, Kyungsoo’s substitute? I wanna be your bestfriend while Kyungsoo is in this state. I know I maybe can never be as nice as Kyungsoo and it’s not that I want to replace Kyungsoo or what. I just- I just want to help you out. I don’t want you to suffer from this alone.” As weird as his request was, Baekhyun really wanted to be Chanyeol’s company. He scratched his nape, embarrassed at his weird request. “I know it’s weird. Being bestfriends isn’t an instant thing like this, but I can always listen to you when you need to pour your heart out. I can be there whenever you need me. I  promise.”

Baekhyun was relieved and he let out his breath, suddenly feeling suffocated because he didn’t even realize he was holding his breath all this time, when Chanyeol nodded his head after a minute or two staring at Baekhyun with an unreadable expression.

“So, Chanyeol, a plate of pannacotta and hot green tea at my apartment today?”

Chanyeol smiled at that, tugged Baekhyun’s wrist and didn’t let it go all the way to Baekhyun’s apartment. The taller ended up sleeping on Baekhyun’s apartment couch while the latter busy in his kitchen, not knowing that he had been so tired.

Chanyeol was so grateful because when he opened his eyes, a warm friendly smile was flashed just before his eyes. There was no loneliness washing up his in chest.

 


so this is it, chapter 3.........

i dunno......

comment plsssss^^