The truth

I think you've enrolled me in the wrong college

 

Sujeong and Junhyung sat down by a pond in their school garden. Sujeong stared at the kois in the pond as she thought about Kikwang.

”Did I really misunderstand him? No, I’m very sure he’s cheating on me. What other excuses could there be?”

Junhyung looked at Sujeong and asked, “so, what happened between you and Kikwang? You both acted like you knew each other.”

“Er… It’s nothing. He’s just an old friend.”

“You sure? You seem like you’re bothered. If there’s anything, you can always approach me. I’ll try to help.” Junhyung smiled as he placed his hand on Sujeong’s shoulder.

Sujeong jumped at Junhyung’s touch. She lost her balance and her body was tilting towards the pond.

“Ahhhh!” Sujeong shrieked as she flailed her arms.

“Be careful!” Junhyung held Sujeong by her waist and pulled her towards him.

Before the both of them could move away, Sujeong was already lying on top of Junhyung. They looked at each other in shock, eyes wide opened. Sujeong quickly got off Junhyung and sat down beside him, blushing.

“Yah! Junhyung! What do you think you’re doing! Taking advantage of our new classmate?” Doojoon shouted, pointing at Junhyung as he walked towards them with Yoseob beside him.

“No… It’s not that… Sujeong and I were just chatting.”

“Chat? What about? Sujeong, did you tell Junhyung about Kikwang?”

“No, Yoseob oppa! There’s nothing about Kikwang I could talk about, right?” Sujeong signaled Yoseob with her eyes. Yoseob understood and covered his mouth.

“Ah… So there’s really something going on between the both of you,” Junhyung said as he leaned back and gave Yoseob a glare.

“Look what you’ve done, oppa!”

“So, Sujeong and Kikwang had a past?” Doojoon asked, shock, as he looked at Yoseob.

So, Sujeong told Junhyung and Doojoon how she had met Kikwang and Yoseob and the fact that they dated.

“Well, you can’t blame Kikwang for ignoring you. It wasn’t his fault,” Yoseob sighed.

“What do you mean? He cheated on me!” Sujeong yelled at Yoseob. She was getting madder by the second.

“What? Who told you that? Kikwang didn’t tell you what happened?”

I must have mistaken him, Sujeong thought as she stared into space before returning her attention to Yoseob.

“I guess he couldn’t bring himself to tell you. His father had a terminal disease. He spent most of his time with his father and even neglected his studies. He stayed by his father’s side until his last breath. Since then, he was a changed person. He didn’t interact much and cooped himself at home all day long,” Yoseob sighed.

“Wh.. When did his father die?” Sujeong asked, biting her lips.

“On this very day. 3 years ago. He’s going to visit his father’s tomb later.”

What… Isn’t today the day I broke up with him 3 years ago? On the day his father died! Omo…

Immediately, Sujeong ran towards the school building and into the classroom block. Sujeong was about to enter the classroom but a tall figure was blocking her.

“Oppa…” Sujeong looked up and stared into Kikwang’s eyes. Their bodies were only a few centimeters away.

“I’m sorry about just now. I have to leave now. Annyeong.”

Sujeong refused to budge.

“Oppa, please hear me out. I didn’t know what happened to you 3 years ago until just now when Yoseob explained everything to me. All along I had misunderstood you. I thought you were cheating on me. I’m so sorry to hear about what happened to your dad…”

“I’m glad the misunderstanding is cleared. I have to go now.” Kikwang avoided eye contact with Sujeong and stared at the floor as he spoke. He shifted his way around Sujeong and went out of the classroom. Sujeong looked at Kikwang walking away from her. She could not help but feel helpless.

So this was how he felt when I dumped him 3 years ago…

Sujeong felt that she had to stop Kikwang from leaving. This was her chance.

“Oppa! I still love you!” Sujeong blurted out her inner most feelings. Everyone in the corridor turned to look at Sujeong and started whispering amongst one another. Kikwang stopped in his tracks and slowly turned around. He saw Sujeong standing a few metres away from him. There was an expression of uncertainty on her face. She was uncertain of what Kikwang would react. Sujeong bit her lips as she stared deeply into Kikwang’s eyes. Kikwang took a hesitant step forward. His eyes showed a confused Kikwang.

“Sujeong… Mianhae…” Kikwang turned his back towards Sujeong and ran as quickly as he could towards the school entrance.

Sujeong fell to her knees and tears started to streaming down her cheeks. She had her eyes fixed on him as he ran away from her.

He left me…