In-between

In-between

Today, I woke up early and made you lunch; three rice balls shaped into a cute bear face.  I placed it on your desk in secret, hoping you’d know it was from me.  I later returned to find an empty desk and the lunchbox untouched.  I went outside and found you sitting by yourself with a sandwich in hand.  That night, I tore out a piece of paper from my notebook and wrote, ‘I love how you’ll eat anything I cook for you and pretend to like it even though you don’t.’

I wanted to cheer you up with a bouquet of orchids.  I waited outside your class as I held them behind my back.  I couldn’t help but smile as I imagined your face light up.  Staring down at your shoes, you walked right past me.  That night, I tore out a piece of paper from my notebook and wrote, ‘I love that you smiled and said orchids are your favorite even though they're not.’        

I saw you walking alone after school.  I stayed behind just to make sure you got home safe.  I noticed a familiar scent in the air; rain.  Completely soaked, you continued to walk.  Wanting to shield you from the rain, I quickly ran to your side.  Without saying a word, you started to run.  That night, I tore out a piece of paper from my notebook and wrote, 'I love that you don’t mind walking in the rain even though you hate being sick.'    

Looking into a jewelry store window, I remembered a ring you stopped to look at over a dozen times before; a ring you wanted so desperately, but one I could never afford.  I looked for it in the display window, but it was gone.  That night, I tore out a piece of paper from my notebook and wrote, 'I love that you never ask for anything even though it might be something you really want.’

I slipped a note into your locker to meet me after school.  You always look tired so I made a CD of songs I thought would help you sleep better at night.  It had all the songs I listened to before bed.  I waited and waited, but you never showed.  That night, I tore out a piece of paper from my notebook and wrote, ‘I love that you’ll listen to the music I like even though you have no interest in it at all.’

I stopped by the theater to pick up tickets for the movie we planned to see.  To my surprise, the movie was no longer playing.  That night, I tore a piece of paper from my notebook and wrote, ‘I love that you’d watch a movie with me even though it wasn’t what you wanted to see.’        
      
Tonight, I can’t stop thinking about us.  All this time I never told you how much you mean to me, how much I care.  Tomorrow will be the day.  It has to be.  I tore out a piece of paper from my notebook, but left it blank.    

------------------------------------

I missed you today.  I desperately wanted to say the words I was too scared to say out loud.  Wandering aimlessly, a strange feeling came over me and I was drawn to a place I had never been before.  A graveyard.

As I entered, I saw a figure of someone sitting on the ground.  I wanted to walk away, but I couldn’t.  I was drawn to this person.  As I got closer, I realized it was a girl.  Her face was covered by her hair.  I had no idea what to do so I stood there, silent and unmoving.  All of a sudden, she spoke.        

“Yuri, do you remember that week?  I’ll never forget it.  You tried so hard to impress me, but something always went wrong.  Your rice balls were terrible, but knowing it came from your heart, I ate it all.  You really should label your salt and sugar,” she said with a laugh.  

“The orchids were beautiful and the look on your face was so cute, I didn’t have the heart to tell you I was allergic.  I’m glad we didn’t walk home together that day; I couldn’t stop sneezing!”  

She paused for a moment before continuing.  “Do you remember the time we walked home from school late at night?  It rained and neither of us had an umbrella.  We ran as fast as we could, but the next day I came to school with a cold.  I was miserable the entire day, until you surprised me with the ring I always wanted, but knew you couldn’t afford.  I immediately put it on only to find that it was a size too big.  I finally got it back today.  It’s perfect,” she said as she held up her hand, the ring sparkling in the sun.

“I couldn’t stop laughing when you said a guy showed up to claim my CD.  I remember telling you I switched lockers the day before, but I guess you forgot.  I’m glad you didn’t give it to him because I listen to it every night.  I love every song and now I can’t seem to fall asleep without it.”    

“I could see the disappointment in your face the moment you realized we missed the last showing.  You kept apologizing, but I didn’t care what movie we saw.  Just being with you was all I really wanted.”  

“Do you remember what you promised?  On the last day, you were going to confess something to me.  Something you were too afraid to say for six days.  You made me wait a week, you dummy.  And now you’ll never be able to say it.  So just for today, I’ll say it for you.  What you wanted to say to me.  What I’ve always wanted to say to you."   

She placed her hand on the tombstone in front of her and said, “I love you.”  

Hearing those words, I felt warmth I had never felt before.  I knelt down and wrapped my arms around her.  Today was the day.  Today, there was no notebook.  I closed my eyes and whispered, “I love you too……..Tiffany.”