Step 3

Behind These Blurred Lines

“Here’s your last order.” Rainie said, placing a chicken sandwich in front of Hyungsik. He grinned, before catching Peniel’s eye and becoming solemn. She avoided looking at Peniel, who she knew was staring at her with a puzzled look on his face. Turning with her tray trembling slightly in her shaking hands, she crashed into someone standing behind her.

“Rainie!? What are YOU doing here?” Minah shrieked, patting and brushing her clothes as if to remove imaginary dirt.

“I work here.” Rainie said calmly, picking up the tray that had fallen to the ground. “And don’t worry, I was just leaving.” She turned and swiftly walked away. She could hear Minah fangirling about BTOB behind her and rolled her eyes.

After she had finished a couple more orders and the fangirls had started clearing out, Papa came up to Rainie.

“You can leave for the day now, I think we can handle the rest of the customers.” He smiled at Rainie, handing her a twenty dollar bill.

“Oh, I can’t have that, I was just helping out.” Rainie asserted, gently pushing the money back towards him.

“I insist! Please, take the cash, you deserve it, dear.” he replied, opening her palm and placing it in her hand. “Also, I was wondering if you would like to work here permanently. I know it’s hard for kids your age to find decent jobs, and I promise I’ll pay you well.”

“I would love to work here, Papa!” she smiled from ear to ear and gave the tiny old man a hug.


Rainie pulled the apron off her body and hung it on the rack next to the kitchen door. Grabbing her jacket, she walked into the bathroom. Inside a stall she shut the door and sat down on the toilet, closing her eyes in thought.

Why did Sungjae suddenly want to see her? After he had debuted he had cut off contact with her, never calling, never visiting. Whenever he came back home he only looked at her with a silent mouth and unseeing eyes. Rainie wasn’t sure if she should try to rekindle their relationship, or just leave it the way it was. 

A fly buzzed above her head, flying suicidally toward the bright light on the ceiling. Would attempting to talk to Sungjae be like the fly’s attraction to the deadly light? The fly emitted a final zap before falling to the ground, dead.


The bathroom door closed with a creak behind Rainie when she stepped out into the restaurant hallway, headed toward the front door. She still had no idea what to do about the whole Sungjae situation, and she was starting to develop a migraine.

“Rainie?” someone called to her left.

Turning towards the sound, she found herself face to face with Peniel, who had a worried look upon his face.

“Yes?” she replied hesitantly.

“Sungjae wants to talk to you.” he said as he handed her his phone.

She was relieved to see that it was a phone call, and not a video chat. Seeing Sungjae’s face would just make her headache worse.

“Hello?” she asked, holding the phone next to her ear. Peniel moved a little ways from her, giving them some privacy.

“Rainie? I’m really sorry, but Mom gave your room to my manager, so you’re going to have to find somewhere else to spend the night.” Sungjae answered, his nervousness showing in his voice.

“Fine.” she breathed. Rainie knew something like this would happen.

“Look, Rainie, I really just want to clear things up with you. Do you think you can meet me at the bubble tea shop we used to go to tomorrow at noon?” he whispered.  

He sounded anxious, and somehow that calmed her down. It was nice to know she wasn’t the only one feeling hesitant and a bit scared of how their parents would react.

“Sure, I’ll see you then.”

She hung up after he said goodbye and gave the cellphone back to Peniel, who looked extremely uncomfortable. He opened his mouth to say something, then decided against it.

“Thanks for letting me use your phone, Peniel-shi.” she mumbled, barely over a whisper.

Rainie could just see the gears in his head turning and rotating, trying to get a grip on the situation. He nodded an acknowledgement and left her standing alone, with only her unsure feelings for company. 


After standing, unmoving, for what seemed like hours, she shook her clouded head and pulled on her jacket. Where would she stay tonight? Usually she just headed over to the park and slept under the slide, where she used to hide as a child, but it’d be too cold for that tonight.

“Ah, Rainie-ah you’re still here? Do you need something?”  Papa said, walking towards her while removing his apron.

Rainie hesitated. “Actually, yes, I was wondering if you had anywhere I could stay for the night…I don’t have anywhere to go.” she said, playing with her hands in embarrassment.

“Why, of course! In fact, we have a spare bedroom you could use.” Papa smiled kindly at her, taking her arm to lead her up the stairs.

“Are you sure?” Rainie asked.

“Definitely, it’s been a while since our children have visited, and our home feels so lonely once the customers leave.” the old man answered, gesturing to the door to his right. “Here’s the bedroom. There are already sheets and such on the bed, and I’ll get Mama to bring you some towels and toiletries.”

“Thank you so much, Papa!” Rainie grinned, bowing deeply.

“You’re very welcome dear.” he replied.

After Papa left, Rainie opened the door before her gently and stepped into the room. It was a cute one, painted pink and blue, with adorable little knick-knacks placed on every open space. Rainie laughed, the mirror on the dresser beside her was covered in sayings and quotes, all written in lipstick. This must be Papa and Mama’s daughter’s room. It was sweet how she had already grown up but the elderly couple still kept her room the way it had been years ago.

Rainie moved forward and sat down on the bed. The blankets under her felt soft and comforting, and she smiled to herself. There was soft knock on the door, and Mama walked in with a large basket in her arms.

“Here, dear, some things you can use. You can just wear some of my daughter’s clothes to sleep, they’re in there.” she said, handing the basket to Rainie and pointing to the dresser Rainie had noticed before.

“Thank you so much, Mama, I really appreciate you letting me stay here tonight.” Rainie said, finding it hard to express her complete gratitude.

“Oh, we’re just happy to have you here. If only you would stay here every night and keep us company, Papa and I would love that.” the little old lady chuckled, patting Rainie’s hand.

“Maybe, maybe.” Rainie said back politely. She didn’t dare begin imagining such a wonderful thing.

“Well, I really do hope you decide to stay. In the meantime, sleep well. You’ve had a long day.” said Mama before she turned and left the room.    

“I agree.” Rainie whispered to the empty room. “I agree.”

 

A/N: Thanks for being so supportive! <3 I really appreciate your nice comments. Sorry for making you guys wait so long for this, I wasn't sure what to write.... >.< I hope this chapter wasn't too bad.