3/3

If You Were Never in EXO

“I got in! I’m going to the states!” Suho said excitedly.

            “That’s great, Junmyeon!” Yixing was jumping excitedly as he grabbed onto Suho’s sleeve.  Kyungsoo was patting his friend on the back and everyone was around Suho as he talked excitedly about the school he’d be going to in the States, and how many adventures he was going to have.  He was talking to Kyungsoo about how he should visit him and they could go to New York together like they promised.  He was so excited he didn't even notice Sehun watching from the sidelines, like his world was collapsing. 

           

            Sehun didn’t know where the time went.  When Suho declared he’d been accepted they had two months.  But EXO’s promotional activities kept him away from his hyung.  They’d only met twice.  This was his third time seeing Suho and possibly the last before his hyung would go to America. 

            Sehun was currently in bed with Suho.  They were both staring up at Suho’s bedroom ceiling.  School was over and Suho was currently living at home before he would travel across the world. 

            “You know what’s weird?” Suho said out of the blue.  Suho didn’t turn to see if Sehun was awake or not.

            “Remember that time we first met and you were rude to me when you greeted me?”

            Sehun nodded but Suho didn’t turn to face him.

            “I really thought you were an arrogant kid back then.  But there was something about you when we got to know each other.  The truth is, I liked you Sehun.  When we were trainees, training together, I started liking you.  But you’re so expressionless you know? I thought you hated me.  And then you debuted in EXO and I made myself throw away my feelings for you.  I did…until Luhan told me to visit you that time.  And then we became friends…and then I started liking you again,” Suho turned to him at this point, “You’ve grown into a great person, Sehun.  I don’t know how I came to be at this point but…I’ve fallen in love with you.”

            Sehun was frozen on the bed. 

            Suho was inching towards him and then Sehun felt Suho’s lips on his.  Suho’s lips were slowly moving against his but his were still frozen, unsure of how to react.  Slowly Suho ended up on top of Sehun. 

            “Do you want me to stop?” Suho asked. 

            “No,” Sehun said silently.  He moved his face forward to meet Suho’s lips once again.   

           

            “Please don’t go,” Sehun begged Suho. 

            “I’ve already paid for housing, tuition, my plane ticket…Sehun I’m going whether you like me to or not.  But I really wanted your support.”

            “You’re not supposed to go.  You’re not supposed to leave me.  You’re supposed to---“

            “Sehun stop saying what I’m supposed to do or not do.  This is my life. You don’t know the path I’ll take and I don’t even know!  Sehun, I’m so glad that you thought I was supposed to be EXO’s leader a long time ago.  It brought us closer together.  But you continually insisting that I’m EXO’s leader is just plain ridiculous. It’s getting old,” Suho looked tired. 

            “But it’s true.  You said you believed me!”

            Suho sighed, “Maybe in another life.  Maybe in another life you and I are in EXO together and I get to live out the dream I always wanted.  Maybe in another life you and I hate each other or whatever you say we did.  But,” Suho grabbed Sehun by his shoulders, “This isn’t that life, Sehun.  I’m not going to be an idol.  I have to make new dreams now.”

            “Why do you have to make them in America?”

            “Because if I stay here then I won’t be able to move on,” Suho put a hand on Sehun’s, “Hey.  We’ll always have that night together.  We’ll always be friends.” 

            And just like that he was gone. 

 

“If you could wish for anything what would it be?”

            Sehun looked over at the interviewer, “I wish I could go back in time and fix things.  I’ve made a lot of mistakes in my life.”

            “But we all make mistakes. It’s how we learn.”

            “I know.  That’s why I wish I could go back in time.  I only know now what I did wrong.”

 

            “I think I might be sick,” Sehun said weakly as Baekhyun came into his room to check up on him.

            “No you’re probably just depressed,” Chanyeol stuck his head in. 

            “Fine you can stay in for the day.  We’ll be able to do the interviews without you BUT you have to promise you’ll be able to do our schedules tomorrow,” Baekhyun stated.

            “Promise,” Sehun stuck out his pinky finger and Baekhyun linked them, making a pinky promise. 

            Sehun buried himself deeper into his blankets when he heard the door close behind the other members. 

            “I wish that things would go back to the way they were before.  I wish I could take back what I said. I wish Suho was the leader of EXO.  I wish for my old life back,” Sehun prayed silently underneath his blankets.  He stayed under them for 10 minutes before he pushed them off just to peek at the bed across the room.  When he saw the blank walls, he couldn’t help bursting into tears. 

           

            Rabbit’s paw.

            Rubbing lamps.

            Birthday wishes.

            Lucky pennies

            Shooting Stars

            Four leaf clovers 

            Wishbones  

 

            Nothing worked. 

 

            He was on his last hope.  He had a wishing well in front of him.  He had a lucky penny in his hand and he leaned over the railing to see how deep the well was.  He’d done his research.  In all of South Korea, this well was reported to have the most granted wishes.  He’d taken a train and a bus and was way outside of Seoul but it was nothing to him.  He was on his last lifeline. 

            “Hyung.”

            “Sehun it’s like 3 in the morning here.  Why am I doing this again?  This doesn’t even make sense.”

            “Hyung.”

            “It’s freezing and I don’t even have a scarf. It’s winter.  How about if I freeze to death?  Jeez the things I do for love.”

            “Hyung,” Sehun said more loudly. He waited but all he heard was Suho’s huffing and puffing as he walked, “What did you wish for back when we saw that shooting star.” 

            “I wished for you to be happy.  To live with no regrets.”  There was silence before Suho continued, “I care so much about you, Sehun.  I wouldn’t do this for anyone you know: getting out of my house at three in the morning just because they told me to.”

            “I know,” Sehun laughed, “Are you there?”

            “Hold on.  I see the Charles River now.  I’ll be there in five minutes.  Can you tell me why I’m doing this again?”

            “I just want to see if I can fix things.”

            There was an angry grunt and Sehun could tell Suho was angry, “I told you to drop this, Sehun.”

            “I know,” Sehun looked at the coin in his hand, “I promise this is the last time.  I swear to you.” 

            “You better,” Suho stated, “I’m here.”

            “Do you have a coin on you?” Sehun asked, “We have to throw it in at the exact same time with the same exact wish.”

            “I still think this is insane.  How would this even work?  I’m throwing a coin into a river, not a well.”

            “This well will do everything,” Sehun looked down the well and rubbed the ledge for good luck, pleading that this would work. 

            “Okay.”

            Sehun froze.  This was it.  If this well didn’t work then nothing would.  He’d have to give up.  He promised Suho.

            “Sehun?”

            “Okay.  On the count of three?”

            “Is that after three or on three?” Suho asked.

            “On three,” Sehun said uncertainly.

            “Well are you sure or not?  You don’t sound sure.”

            “I’m sure!” Sehun took a breath, “One….Two…Three!” he made his wish and threw the coin in the well.  There was a silence on the other line.

            “What’s supposed to happen?”

            “I don’t know,” Sehun was biting his lip, “I don’t think it worked.”

            Suho let out a breath he didn’t know he’d been holding, “I’m sorry, Sehun.”

            Sehun fell onto his knees and put his forehead against the well. 

            “Even if it didn’t change anything,” Suho began, “I’m still happy.  I don’t have to be an idol.  I like where I am now,” Sehun could tell he was smiling.  And even though Sehun was happy that his hyung was happy, he was miserable. 

            “I love you, Sehun.”

            “I love you too hyung.  I wish you were here.”

 

            Sehun shot out of bed when he heard someone banging on his door. 

            “Go away!” Sehun shouted.  He fell back into his bed and tried to forget that there was a world outside his bedroom. 

            “Sehun, I’m sorry.”

            Sehun’s eyes widened.  That was Suho’s voice. 

            He ran to the door and flung it open.  Suho stared back at him with apologetic eyes.  His hair was shorter and a dark brown.

            “I shouldn’t have yelled at you.  If you want to go out with your friends it’s not my place to say you can’t.  Um…just here’s something for you to eat.  I’ll sleep on the couch tonight.”

            Sehun pushed the bowl of food to the floor.

            “Sehun! I—whoa!”  Suho couldn’t finish what he was saying because Sehun was hugging him like he wanted to merge their bodies together.  He was pushing Suho forward down the hall and Suho fell back onto the couch in the living room with Sehun falling on top of him.

            “Hyung.  I’m sorry for being a brat.  I’m sorry for causing so much trouble.  I’m a bad person.  I promise to make it up to you.  I promise to be the best maknae there ever was.  I’m sorry,” Sehun was nuzzling into Suho’s chest.

            “Where is all this coming from?” Suho asked, “Uh…Kyungsoo?”

            Kyungsoo was passing by the kitchen and shrugged his shoulders as he got a bag of snacks and headed back to his and Jongin’s room.

            “You have no idea what I’ve been through,” Sehun wrapped his hands tighter around Suho. 

            “Um…it’s only been an hour.  Did you leave the house?” Suho raised his voice but Sehun was moving his head from side to side.

            “No.  I just realized how much you mean to me, hyung.  You’re a great leader you know that?” Sehun looked up.

            “I know that,” Suho laughed smugly, “Nice to know you finally appreciate me, maknae.”

            “I love you hyung.”

            “Um…okay.” 

             His Suho didn’t love him, at least not in the way the other Suho did.

             

            “Uh what are you doing?” Suho shouted as he shot up in his bed.

            “Can I sleep here tonight?”

            “What’s wrong with your bed?” Suho grunted, but he moved over nonetheless. 

            “I like it here,” Sehun got under the covers.  He turned to Suho but the leader was facing the wall.  His breathing was normal and Sehun assumed he was already sleeping. 

            “Can I hug you, hyung?” Sehun whispered.  Suho didn’t reply and Sehun took that as a yes and wrapped his arms around Suho. 

           

            “Sehun, get up,” Suho was poking Sehun’s cheek. 

            Sehun pushed the hand away, “Few more minutes.”

            “No! Now,” Suho threw his blankets on the ground.

            Sehun got up immediately, “Oh yeah!  We have a schedule today!”  

            Suho eyed him tiredly, unsure of what to do with this eager obedient Sehun. 

            “You must’ve hit your head last night.”

            Sehun smiled at him, “No I’m just happy you’re here.”

            Suho raised an eyebrow, “What’s wrong with you, maknae?”

            “I love you.”

            “Stop saying that,” Suho shivered. 

 

            “Kyungsoo yah!” Suho exclaimed as he entered the dorm. 

            Sehun looked up from where he sat on the couch. 

            “What is it hyung?” Kyungsoo asked from beside Sehun.

            “SM town concert in New York!” 

            Sehun smiled and jumped up.  He jumped in joy and hugged Suho and Kyungsoo, who were already hugging.

            “Uh…Sehun what are you doing?” Suho asked from between Sehun and Kyungsoo.

            “I’m just happy for you hyung!”

            “Sehun what’s wrong with you?” This time it was Kyungsoo who asked him. 

            “I can’t be genuinely happy that you two will finally fulfill the promise you made with each other since you were trainees?”

            “What the?  Do you read our magazine interviews?” Kyungsoo shook his head and headed towards the bedroom, “I’ll tell the others the good news.”

            “So what’s the real reason you’re acting like this?” Suho turned to Sehun.

            “What?”

            “You know! Acting all nice all of a sudden.  Behaving like you should’ve done in the first place.  Come on, Sehun.  I know I can’t perform miracles.  But here you are, a completely changed maknae!”

            “The real reason?” Sehun pretended to ponder by scratching his chin. 

            Suho tilted his head to the side, “You’ve changed.  Something happened.”

            “Something did,” Sehun agreed, “I realized how horrible I used to be.”

            Suho raised his eyebrows, “And what made you realize this?”

            Sehun looked down and silently said, “Losing you…twice.”

            “What was that?”

            Sehun looked up and stared into Suho’s eyes, “I love you hyung.”

            “Shut up.”  

 

They were in the van back to the dorms.  Sehun had his head on Suho’s shoulder.  The leader was looking out the window.  Sehun was listening to the music coming out of Suho’s headphones.

            Suho’s sudden intake of breath made Sehun look up at his hyung.

            “What is it?”

            “I thought I saw a shooting star.”

            “It’s a satellite, hyung.  You always think those are stars.”

            “Yah, smart ,” Suho pinched Sehun’s nose. 

            “Hyung?”

            “Yeah?”

            “If you could wish for anything what would it be?”

            Suho pondered for a second, “I wouldn’t wish for anything.  I’m already living my dream.  I always wanted to be an idol and now I am one.  I get to set a good example for kids out there.  I wanted to make good friends and have good experiences.  I wanted to do something I loved doing and I am; there’s nothing more I could wish for.”

            Sehun smiled. 

            Suho looked down at him, “What about you?”

            “I wished I could be with you.”

            “Wished?” Suho wondered.  He turned to Sehun, “And what do you mean by that?”

            “I love you hyung.”

            “…”

            Sehun sighed in contentment and put his head on Suho’s shoulder again.  Maybe this Suho would never love him.  But he was content to have the leader maknae relationship with this Suho.  His Suho.  His Suho who slept in the bed opposite his and complained whenever the door or window was left open, the one who occasionally sang in the shower, or cracked annoying nonsense jokes and smiled at the stupidest things.  The leader who would take care of him and protect him while he slept, the leader of EXO. 

Sehun could learn to be content without this Suho loving him as long as they were both in EXO together.  Because this Suho was living the life he was supposed to. 

            Sehun was about to close his eyes when Suho inhaled.

            “I love you too, Sehun…I did ever since we were trainees.”  

 

tumblr_mw06mfsd9Y1qhcu2ho1_250.giftumblr_mw06mfsd9Y1qhcu2ho2_250.gif

Thank you everyone for reading this story!!!! It amazmes me how much support I got for this story!!  I never knew there were so many seho shippers out there!  Seriously I didn't post that many chapters to this story and I got so many subscribers and upvotes!  Believe it or not this is my most upvoted story!  haha!  Thank you for all the readers, commentors, subscribers and upvoters!!! People who upvoted I gave you some karma to show my appreciation!!!! 

Hopefully you all can continue loving seho!!! (hey i might have a new seho story coming out soon ;D)  

Hope you guys weren't disappointed!  

Thanks again everyone!!!! <3 

Bye Yeom 

Toshi out <3  

 

ALSO: for those of you who want a downloadable PDF of this story just PM me your email and I'll email you the PDF