My Lifeguard

Adventures of KittySoo and Kai

 "Wake up! Wake up!" Kyungsoo jumped on the unmoving lump buried under the covers, giggling to himself.


"Ugh." A muffled groan came from under the covers. It was much too early for Kai to be up.

The Sun was barely up, light tendrils of sunlight peeking through the gaps in the curtains. Today was a special day. The day where Kim Jongin goes for his first day of work. Finally.

How did he get a job at long last, you ask. Long story short, his childhood swimming lessons seemed to have paid off, landing him a job at a local swimming complex as a lifeguard.

"It's too early." Kai complained, rolling to his side, trying to avoid the relentless bouncing of a certain car hybrid on his bed.

"But Jongin! It's your first day of work!" Kyungsoo whined in his ears, reaching under the covers and trying to heave him out of the bed by dragging him by the hands.

"My job?" Kai's ears perked at the words. He totally forgot that his job started today. There goes the thought of him snuggling with Kyungsoo on the sofa and watching mindless dramas the entire day - he gave a long sigh at that.

Sluggishly, Kai shoved off the covers, nearly shoving off Kyungsoo in the process and dragged his feet to the washroom with a still bouncing cat hybrid on his tail. How Kyungsoo could be so energetic early in the morning was a mystery to him.

When he asked him, Kyungsoo's cat ears would perk up before flattening itself on his skull and he would look on the ground, replying shyly  "Because I can see you again." This never fails to make Kai smile giddily to himself.

When he finished washing up, he entered the dining room. On the table sat two plates of delicious French toast with eggs and sausages. He thinks that Kyungsoo would make the perfect housewife.

However, what made him really smile was the person sitting down behind one of the plates.

"Morning, baby." Kai send his trademark smirk at Kyungsoo, who flushed pink and huffed at the nickname.

"I'm not a baby, Jongin." Kyungsoo stabbed his sausage and stuffed it in his mouth. "I'm older than you."

Laughing, Kai leaned over to ruffle Kyungsoo's hair, scratching the base of his ears on the way and earning a little purr from the kitty.

After finishing their breakfast, which never disappointed, by the way - Kyungsoo was a natural at cooking, Kai changed into his lifeguard attire. It consisted of only skin-tight black swimming trunks with the word "lifeguard" printed on the left. Throwing on a pair of trousers and a plain t-shirt, Kai was ready was his first day.

"Bye, Soo. I'll be back in the evening." Kai pressed a chaste kiss on Kyungsoo's forehead.

Kyungsoo's eyes widened dramatically, clutching at Kai's shirt and preventing him from leaving.

"But I thought I could come with you!"

But I thought cats hated water. After a few minutes of hesitation and Kyungsoo giving him the puppy eyes, he relented.

"I hope you know I'm working at the swimming pool." Kai said over his shoulders, hands occupied with digging through his drawers to find his extra pair of trunks for Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo had no idea what a swimming pool was, but he was as hell wasn't going to be left at home without Kai.

"Of course I know what it is." Kyungsoo insisted. "I really really want to go."

Finally finding the extra trunks, Kai threw it to Kyungsoo, who obediently changed into it and gleefully hopped onto the car with Kai, on their way to the pool.

 


-



The swimming pool. A hole in the ground filled to the brim with splashing water. It's almost impossible to not get wet there and Kyungsoo definitely hated getting wet.

Maybe he regretted a teeny weeny bit when he saw the huge pool in front of his eyes.

Beside him, Kai shrugged off his clothes, leaving on only the pair of lifeguard trunks and urged Kyungsoo to do the same.

Staring at the wide expense of tanned skin, Kyungsoo willed himself to look away and nearly combusted on the spot when Kai caught him staring.

"Like what you see?" Kai teased. Grabbing a hold of Kyungsoo's small hands and dragging it down his defined abs.

Kyungsoo squeaked at the contact, jerking his hands away, making Kai's shoulder shake with laughter.

"D-don't do that!" Kyungsoo pouted, fidgeting with the material of his shirt.

"All right, all right." Kai grinned, still trying to stifle his laughter. "You have to strip down to your trunks too you know."

Suddenly feeling self conscious, Kyungsoo shook his head unwillingly.

"Come on." Kai reached over to Kyungsoo, attempting to lift up his shirt, only to have Kyungsoo quickly dragging it down and jumping out of his grasps.

"Kyungsoo... If you don't take it off I'll be sad." Kai faked a frown. It was partly true, Kai really did want to see Kyungsoo shirtless. Blame his erted mind.

Biting his lip, Kyungsoo inched his hands to the helm of his shirt. He was stuck in between a rock and a hard place. Kyungsoo didn't want to take off his shirt nor did he want to see Kai sad.

Deciding that Kai was more important, Kyungsoo shut his eyes tight, scrunching up his whole face in the process and yanked his shirt off, throwing it to Jongin who was smiling like a kid who got his candy. In this case, his candy was shirtless Kyungsoo.

"You can go play in the water while I do my job, okay?"

Kai got into position in his chair while ushering Kyungsoo to the edge of the pool.

However, Kyungsoo went over to his side, plopping himself down beside the chair.

"But I want to accompany Jongin." Kyungsoo tilted his head and giggled.

Jongin couldn't say no to that, so he let Kyungsoo sit there, as long as he didn't bother him with his job. He didn't want to get fired on just the first day for not doing his job properly and slacking off.

After a few hours, Kyungsoo was really bored of looking at the others play in the pool and he had smoothed out his tail only a thousand times already. He  was now tracing the tiles he was sitting on. Realizing Kyungsoo's boredom, Kai urged Kyungsoo to go play in the water again.

"Go on. I'll be right here." Kai gently pushed Kyungsoo forward, only to have Kyungsoo not budging an inch from his spot on the ground.

"I don't want to play." Kyungsoo muttered.

Kyungsoo always likes to try out new things. Kai sensed that something was wrong.

"Soo, are you scared of the water?" Most cats were scared of the water, so it was a perfectly good guess, Kai thought.

"N-no of course not!"

"Sure?" Kai asked unbelievingly, raising in eyebrow.

" I'm not scared! L-look I'll go stand there!" Kyungsoo raised his hand and pointed to the edge of the pool.

Heart palpitating in his chest, Kyungsoo I gingerly inched his way to the edge of the pool. Feeling a sense of pride and a rush of adrenaline when he stood at the edge, water lapping at his feet.

"Look, Jongin! I'm touching the water, I'm not scared." Kyungsoo breathed heavily and smiled until his teeth showed.

However, his joy was short lived. A clumsy horse hybrid that was just running by was not looking where is was goings and bumped into Kyungsoo, pushing him into the water.

"Yixing! Watch where you're going!" A pale man came running into the area, seeing the horse hybrid, Yixing staring unmovingly at a spluttering cat hybrid, not knowing what to do.

Kai, who was alerted by the commotion, immediately jumped on the job. Recognizing that one flailing in the water as Kyungsoo, Kai grew worried, diving into the water and wrapping an arm around Kyungso's waist.

"Shh, it's okay now." Kai whispered into the frightened cat hybrid's ear, smoothing out his hair.

Kyungsol clung onto Kai's body, chest to chest and arms wrapping themselves over his neck.

After a few moments, Kyungsoo was sufficiently calm. Chest heaving in exhaustion.

"You know, this pool is shallow enough for us to reach the bottom." Kai stated, seeing Kyungsoo turn red in embarrassment.

"I-I guess I was scared if the water." Kyungsoo muttered, face buried into Kai's shoulder.

"You don't need to be scared, Soo. I'll protect you. I'm your lifeguard after all."

 

-

 

Wow over 100 subbies with just the foreword is more then I ever dreamt of. Thanks so much, guys. This is my first time writing a oneshot so I hope it was okay and up to your standards. If you have any requests please pm me. More requests mean more ideas = more frequent updates! However, next week I'm really busy at a child care centre so I'll most probably put up another oneshot the week after next:( Sorry. Please leave what you think about this oneshot below :) 

Btw if you haven't already, please check out this story that my best friend and I are writing!:)