Library Meetings are Always The Best

Sewing Her Love

As Miraculous Monday came to an end, students carried their worn out backpacks (from the regular eroding of it against their weary backs), home. What a day... And there's still Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday to go.

That night Suzy slept... Pft. She didn't sleep a wink. The day's events had scarred her too much.

FLICK... FLICK... FLICK... Every couple of seconds, the fluorescent light of the top right hand corner bedroom in 165 Woo-Seung street, would flicker repeatedly (and creepily) as if the circuit was broken. The cause of this repetitive flicker of the lights were not down to technical reasons. It was the occupant of the room itself. Kim Myungsoo tended to do this often. Even as a young 6 year old boy he'd play with the light switch till his heart's content. I guess it's a sort of disorder. Though there isn't really a name for Flicko-Lighthimus disorder, is there? Oh wait... There we go! Anyway, the point is Myungsoo would do this every time he had a sleepless night. Often he'd do an all-nighter, just FLICKING THE LIGHT! Once when he was 11 he managed to cause a power cut throughout the whole street, because of his flicking! His parents had to make a PSA for their son's disorder, Flicko-Lighthimus. Back to the point, the real real reason why he was doing this really really annoying action was because he was dazed. Dazed like a deer in the headlights. He was truly stunned. That his Suzy was such a flaring flame. Her inner light shone bright and the glow it gave out drew Myungsoo in. Even more so than the fleeting fluorescent light hung loose in the centre of the ceiling. That day he saw something new in his crush, and it couldn’t have made him fall any harder. Not that he was going admit it. Especially not to the other girl in his life. The same girl who had texted him 23 times nonstop in the past hour, Park Jiyeon. He wasn’t sleeping well and she knew. Of course she knew, she lived across the road. And that gave her the advantage. An advantage which hacked away at her energy, for even at 1:17AM she couldn’t close her eyes to sleep as he weren’t doing so either.

At long last when the clock’s hand 4:56AM both fell to a deep slumber, waking up late for school the next day.

 

A new day, a new start... Or is it really? She hid in her sanctuary - per usual. He shook the looks aside to focus on his accommodating companion for once. Everything was the same, nothing changed, not until the Korean Literature teacher ordered him to her territory.

Myungsoo strode along the corridors, with nothing but nonchalance oozing out of him. It wasn’t his first time to the library, but it was the first in ages. Slowly, he neared the dreaded place; his heart held to a stop. As if it was stuck in a pit of sticky tar he’d long gone forgot to get out of. Almost like the hovering ghostly depiction, his hand hesitated over the handle. After two quick puffs of long needed breath, Myungsoo jammed the door open the slightest bit. He was exasperated, yet he hadn't done a thing at all. Within a few trots into the enclosure, with shelved walls reaching heights of a majestic citadel hall, Myungsoo felt small for once. It was grand for sure.

 

“It’s a shame people don’t come in here.” Still in awe of his surroundings, the words dripped out his lips. He lifted up a hand to unconsciously wipe away at his mouth, as if he was scrubbing away the literal words he spoke that were left dribbled on his face.

 

After finding his wings, Myungsoo finally swept over to the librarian’s counter and pointed out the books he needed. The lady behind the desk, square in facial features, round in the glasses she wore and stout in her stature sent him scurrying towards a corner in the far east wing of the library.

 

As soon as he felt he’d escaped from the scrutiny of the woman’s screwed eyes, Myungsoo heaved his relief into his collapsing chest, almost toppling over if he hadn’t had his hand leaned against the tall oak shelf. A book nearly fell out its place, but his quick reflexes dismissed him the danger of rupturing any noise that may disturb others around him. Not that there would be of course - the place was after all, abandoned.

 

But what was the likelihood of coming straight face-to-face with the only other inhabitant of this derelict hall - minus the librarian - within a matter of 5 minutes. Trust me, Myungsoo was as surprised as you. More than anything, Suzy had a quaking too.

 

Her heart surged to as she her quivering feet to face the source of the

bustling. It was a little too late to back away in secret now.

 

“Suzy.. L-lo-”

 

That didn’t mean she couldn’t back away once he saw her. The departure would only be sweeter.

 

“Suzy!” He called louder, still hushed in his tone, afraid to anger the librarian still hidden at the front.

 

She meandered faster and faster, away from the familiar jingle of his voice. Only that urged

him to run forth towards her.

 

“No, Suzy wait!” By now he had long gone forgotten the task at hand: twas to collect the so called books he needed to pass his Korean Literature class. The echo of his thudded soles stayed compact within the constraints of the two shelves walled around them. The sound would have been typical to a normal library, but this wasn’t any library meeting. Each step equaled to an aftershock of an earthquake. With the swirling emotions coiling around and squeezing her innards thin, Suzy  barely noticed her laces had come undone on the left shoe.

 

Naturally, matters took its own course and she tripped. Not disgracefully of course. Her fall was slight and delicate. Not a rag doll’s competent dropping to the floor, rather a fragile porcelain doll, cheeks painted pink. And like the porcelain doll, Suzy didn’t fall without a scratch. She wasn’t a rag doll, who could easily brush off a scuff. Well, at least not here. She knew this, and she despised herself for letting this mental scratch appear in front of him.

 

His hefty steps slowed down in the event of her tripping over. Cowardly, like before, his hand hovered, unbeknownst of what to do in a situation that called for his comforting. Eventually, he crumbled to his knees, breaking that barrier he held for so long. Despite claiming he liked her, Myungsoo had never broken the proximity of space. He may act cozy with Jiyeon, but he never touched anybody else yet alone trespass their private bubble. Funny thing is though, being dim as he was he could see that invisible bubble that protected Suzy for so long, pop so suddenly.

 

Crouched over in the exact position as her, he brought out a hand to pat her shoulder. Silence shrouded them. They sat like this for a while before Suzy’s small voice pulled off the quiet blanket.

 

“S-sorry.. For Monday. For calling your name so carelessly Myungsoo-ssi.”

 

“No, no.” He shook his head fervently, both hands now planted on her frail frame. “I liked it.” He muttered. “I should be the one sorry anyway. I’m sorry I didn’t stop her.” Midway through his string of apologies, she turned to face him. He sped on undeterred. “I’m sorry I didn’t even notice the fact you didn’t want to join me for lunch.” He hung his head in shame. “I’m sorry.”

 

She considered her next words for a bit, nipping the skin of her lower lip before she spoke again. “I accept your apology. Since your faults are longer than mine!” Chuckling so happily, she broke the stifling atmosphere. His hung head shot up to confirm the sounds he heard. Was this real? Was she really laughing so comfortably in front of him? Noticing she’d stunned the other she stopped. Only for him to burst into a similar guffaw. Their laughter soon died down.

 

“You laugh so beautifully, Suzy.”

 

She stood up, his hands strangely finding their way to her’s to help her up. In a sudden

morose state she slipped back her hand, away from his touch.

 

“I would like to hear you laugh more often.”

 

A second or two later, the moment passed.

 

Composing herself after the fall: tugging her skirt down, smoothing her shirt front, twisting the bow that tied around her neck, Suzy asked him calmly. “What books are you looking for Myungsoo-ssi?”

 

“Please… just Myungsoo will do.”

 

She paused briefly. “What books are you looking for Myungsoo?”

 

An Introduction to Classical Korean Culture: From Hyangga to P’ansori.” He recited, enunciating each syllable loud and clear.

 

With a small smile she beckoned him to follow. Not without him stopping her quick, bending down again to now tie her untied shoelaces. As he did this so focused, her smile could only grow wider, in spite of her mind scolding her to stop. He stood back up and she hid her face away. Not sparing a moment to rush him between the shelves to find said book.

 

When they did finally find it, Myungsoo led them to a small study table in the open eye of the librarian. Luckily, the woman was nowhere to be found. Suzy said she was on her lunch break. With the bulky book before him his fingers hesitated over turning the first page. Once again! What Myungsoo requested next was something so preposterous to Suzy of Yesterday, it was almost phenomenal Suzy of Today easily made the change in mind so fast.

 

“Yeah… sure, I’ll tutor you.”