Brown Eyes

The Two Liars

Kai’s eyes fluttered open as the sun shined directly into his eyes. He rolled over and saw that his roommate had already gone. He rubbed his eyes as he grabbed his phone to check the time. What? It’s only seven o’clock, where on earth could he have gone?, he wondered. He yawned as he got out of bed and walked over to his desk. There was a paper he hadn’t left there. He picked it up and read it aloud, “Good morning. Going out for the day, so don’t worry about me.”

He scoffed and crumpled the paper up before he tossed it into the trash.

Kai showered and dressed himself since he had a morning dance workshop class that he had to teach at eight.

As he left his room he almost collided with Baekhyun. “Hey Kai!” Baekhyun yelled. How is this guy always so happy? Even at seven in the morning, insane, Kai thought to himself before he smiled and greeted his friend. Baekhyun and Kai were friends for years, despite them being complete opposites. “Where’s Seungri-ssi?” Baekhyun asked as he tried to peek into their room.

Kai purposely blocked his view and laughed, “Are you trying to replace me?”

When he saw how flustered Baekhyun was, he laughed even more before he continued, “He left me a note saying that he’d be gone all day. Why?”

“I thought we could hang out, but I guess not. Now I have nothing to do.” Baekhyun said, unconsciously pouting. Kai chuckled and draped his arm around his friend’s shoulders. “You can attend my dance class, Mr. Singer!” Kai said as he dragged Baekhyun down the hall with him but before they got far Baekhyun wriggled his way out of Kai’s grip. “I think I’ll go visit my grandmother in the hospital instead, later Kai!” Baekhyun shouted as he waved at Kai before he ran down the hallway in the opposite direction. Kai shook his head, that kid, he thought to himself before he continued walking down the hall.

 

 

Room 203-Park Seungri

Gyuri read the sign on the door three times. Although she missed her brother, she couldn’t help but hesitate to enter his hospital room. Seeing her brother in the hospital with his oxygen mask and all the tubes connected to his body made her feel uneasy, she’s never seen her brother so vulnerable before. She sighed before she forced a smile on his face and entered his room.

He was asleep when she entered and she didn’t want to wake him up so she sat by his side as he slept. She felt bad that she hadn’t seen him for about two weeks, since they pretty much only have each other, he must’ve been lonely.

She remembered the last time they had talked.

 

Flashback: Two Weeks Ago:

“Oppa!”, Gyuri shouted at her brother. “The doctor said you need the surgery!”

“If I don’t go to school I’ll lose the scholarship.” he said, not paying his sister any mind.

“Is the stupid scholarship more important than your health?” she yelled at him, finally getting his attention. Tears were now b her eyes, and she couldn’t fight back anymore. Two tears fell as she directed her gaze away from her brother. Seungri walked over to his sister and wiped her tears as he gazed into her eyes, tears beginning to brim his eyes too.

“This scholarship is important for the both of us. If I graduate from there I’ll be able to get a good job!” Her brother said never averting his eyes.

The two stayed in silence for a few minutes. They both knew that this surgery was important, and this scholarship was important too.

“I’ll go for you.” Gyuri said looking up at her brother.

Seungri couldn’t but laugh at his sister’s suggestion. “That’s crazy. Stuff that only happens on Tv!”

“How is it crazy? We look exactly alike!” she said, determination now evident in her voice.

Seungri was worried. When his sister is determined there’s no way to stop her. He shook his head. “A girl at an all boys school? If you get caught you know how much trouble we’ll get in?” he asked, not really expecting an answer. “I won’t get caught. Oppa, you need to get this surgery to survive!” she said.

“What about you? You need to go to school too.” he said, curious about her answer.

“I’ll use you excuse, since you won’t need since you’ll be in school.”

Seungri sighed as he looked at his sister and began to shake his head.

“It’s crazy, but it just might work.” she said, she could tell now he was slightly convinced.

He sighed. “If it ever gets hard for you, then you tell me, and leave, okay?”

Gyuri smiled and nodded at her brother before she ran over and hugged him.

 

Gyuri snapped out of her thoughts when she saw her brother’s eyes begin to flutter open. “O-o-oppa! How do you feel?” she asked as she got closer to her brother.

“Better now that I see my dongsaeng!” he said smiling cheesily.

“Yah. You’re only four minutes older than me!” she said smiling back.

“Yeah, so you’re younger.” he said as he tried to sit up.

Gyuri quickly helped him up, he looked so much better than he did two weeks ago.

She informed her brother on the new friends “he’s” made, the classes, and about his rude roommate, Kai.

Seungri was excited learning about everything, he listened to each of his sister’s words and asked a few questions in-between. The two ended up talking for about five hours straight. After her brother ate his lunch she decided to head back to the school.

When she got on the bus there was one seat left, and she sat in it. Some drunk ahjussi must have wanted it too because he was pissed and ordered her to get up. She didn’t see why she should since she got their first though but before she could answer the man pulled her up by her collar and punched her. The next thing she knew, she was on the ground and felt him kicking her on her back a few times and stopped all of a sudden. She was in so much pain, and didn’t even have the strength to look up to see why he had stopped.

 

“Are you alright?” she heard someone question her as she felt her body being lifted off the ground. She looked up to see brown, worry-filled eyes staring at her, but the eyes seemed familiar. She knew she saw them somewhere before and then it hit her, it was Kai.