when a mommy and daddy love each other

Drabbles and Whatnot

Jongdae comes home to find Kris on the couch, head between his knees. The younger man drops everything. “Is everything okay? What’s wrong? Is–”

 

Kris’ head pops up. “Jihoon is fine. He just got home from school.”

 

“Oh. Then–”

 

“He asked me where babies come from.” Kris looks downright devastated.

 

Jongdae frowns and lowers himself onto the ground. “And? What did you say?”

 

“I didn’t know what to say, Jongdae!” Kris almost shouts, eyes frenzied. “He’s still a baby! I had no idea–I can’t just–”

 

“Babe, calm down,” Jongdae says quietly, rising to his feet. “I’ll handle this.”

 

“Ohmygod I love you.”

 

Jongdae pats his husband’s face. “I know.” And then he struts his way into their son’s bedroom.

 

It’s a really nice bedroom, if he says so himself. Queen bed and all, walls collaged with motivational posters and long quotes; it’s a very nice bedroom. Jongdae slips in through the cracked door and jumps onto the bed, sighing into the freshly cleaned duvet.

 

“Dad!” Exclaims the boy on the other side of the room, turning in his chair. “What are you doing?”

 

“C’mere.” Jongdae waits until the mattress shifts before looking up. “You’re not even going to cuddle with me? Oh, right. I forgot. Second graders are too old for cuddling.”

 

The boy sighs and shifts until he’s against Jongdae’s side. “What is it?”

 

Jongdae runs his fingers through short, thin hair. “Dad told me you had a question, Ji.”

 

Jihoon looks up. “Yeah. He didn’t answer it though. Are you going to?”

 

“I sure am.” Jongdae looks up and there’s Kris in the doorway. The man sends him a grateful smile and a thumbs up before leaving. “So, what’s the question?”

 

“Dad,” Jihoon begins, eyes big, “where do babies come from?”

 

“Well, when a mommy and daddy love each other very much, they have .” Jongdae doesn’t beat around the bush.

 

“?”

 

“Yes.”

 

Jihoon screws up his face. “What is that.”

 

“ is life,” Jongdae states, face serious. “Especially with your dad. God, that man can go for hours. But, we only have when you go to a friend’s house. Which you need to do more often.”

 

“But wait,” Jihoon mumbles, forehead creased, “then where did I–”

 

“Surprise! You’re adopted!” Jongdae’s pretty sure that crash means something just broke but he’s not going to dwell on it.

 

“Oh,” the boy nods to himself, “yeah, that makes sense.”

 

“What? Why?”

 

“Because you and dad have blonde hair,” he reasons, “and I have black hair.”

 

Jongdae purses his lips to keep from laughing. “You are absolutely right.”

 

“But then, if makes babies, and only mommies and daddies have babies, then why do you and dad have ?”

 

“Good question,” Jongdae pats the boy on the head, “well, is something you usually do with someone you love. Or someone you think you love. Like when I was in high school and I thought I loved girls. But then I met Luhan and college and wow. That was an eye opener.”

 

Jihoon wriggles upwards until he and Jongdae are eye-to-eye. “So wait. You don’t just have with one person?”

 

“Nope,” Jongdae answers, “in fact, before I met your dad, I had with… um, I had with a lot of people. And I was good at it. I could have made a living out of it, I was that good. Like, if was a truffle, I was the chocolate ganache. That. Good.” Jongdae is very hungry. He could go for a truffle or ten. “But then I met your dad and he was okay. And I can live with okay if it comes with breakfast in bed, shy smiles, and family values.” And money, but that didn’t come till later on so Jongdae only includes that when he’s talking to trophy wives dinner parties. That’s also when he brings up the size discussion and, since he has Kris, he always wins. It’s fantastic.

 

“So, you and dad...?”

 

“Ji, honey, when you’re old enough you can go out and have with anyone you want, but just remember, homouality and abstinence are the only sure forms of birth control,” Jongdae prefers one over the other. “Any questions?”

 

“I don’t think so?”

 

“Right. So, in summary, moms and dads have , makes babies, but when moms and moms, and dads and dads have it does not. Also I am the best. Capiche?”

 

“Capiche.”

 

“That’s my boy. Now, what’s your homework?”

 

Jihoon groans, “but daaad.”

 

“No buts, Jiji.” Jongdae thinks he can hear cries of anguish from the kitchen but he’s not completely sure.