The Confirmation

Not So Much Like A Fairy Tale

“So how was the date last night?” I knew Jessica would be the first one to call me this morning. She knew about last night and I regret telling her about it.

“It was fine.” I told her before munching my toast. I was having my breakfast when she called me.

“Just fine? Oh, come on, Juhyun. You know I won’t be contented with that. I want the details!” I can seriously imagine her going hysterical about something as trivial as a date. I sighed and told her I’d tell her what happened later that afternoon. We’re going to meet anyway because we’re going to the venue of her wedding. I laughed when she told me I was just avoiding the topic. She might be right because somehow, I don’t really want to tell her what happened. There’s something about it that made me want to keep it a secret. I don’t really want to tell her the weird feelings I got last night when Sehun and I held hands. I wanted to keep it to myself until I find out what I truly feel about him.

All I know is that it was weird. Everything is. For months, I thought I hated him. But just one night―it only took one night to change that mindset I had. He’s not what I assumed him to be.

He’s different.

And I sort of like it.

But I knew better than to get involved with him.

----

 

After that night, I haven’t met him even once. I haven’t seen even a strand of his hair. He was not avoiding me―I am the one doing the avoiding-thing. I don’t want to meet him just yet. Avoiding him was easy to be honest. I was busy with my job―playing the piano, composing, writing lyrics―it’s never easy. I spent most of my time in the music studio. It worked fine for awhile. I was able to get him out of my mind for hours but then the thoughts of him would all be coming back when I finally go home.

Avoiding him might be easy but keeping him off my mind was not easy at all. He’d be the only one I’ll think of whenever I’m alone and I’m not that much into my job. I know I’m starting to like him but it scares me. It scares me a lot.

I sighed as I quickly packed my stuff. I looked at my watch and noticed that it was already ten in the evening. I’ve been staying until night just to meet my deadlines and it was honestly tiring me out. I wasn’t even able to help Lu Han and Jessica in their wedding preparations. The couple had been very understanding though and Lu Han finally admitted he’s causing me too much trouble. That’s actually one of the things I liked about this setup.

I stood up, turned off the lights and left the room. As I close the door behind me, I noticed a man leaning on the wall just a few meters away from me. It took me a second to realize it was Sehun. I almost dropped the folder I was holding when he turned sideways and looked at me.

“What are you doing here?” I asked, stuttering. He frowned at me. I watched him as he stood up straight and began walking towards me until he’s just a feet away from me.

“Why are you avoiding me?” He looked so serious and the tone of his voice matched his expression. I looked away as I bit my lip. What am I supposed to tell him anyway?

Well, maybe, I just had to deny it. “I’m not avoiding you, Sehun.”

He laughed. Not like the way he laughed when we had our date. His laugh back then was genuine―out of true happiness. But now, his laugh sounded so bitter in my ears.

“Ah. So you’re going to be like this. First, you avoided me. Second, you denied that you were avoiding me. Then I’m going to insist you really are avoiding me. Third, you’d say you’re just busy with stuff then you’re going to expect me to just let it go. And last, you’re still going to avoid me.”

Yeah. That was my plan but I knew right then, it won’t work on him.

I let out a sigh and stared at him straight in his eyes.

“If you knew I was avoiding you, then why did you even bother to come here?” I asked him. He was taken aback judging by how he opened his mouth to say something but wasn’t able to let any words out so he kept it shut right after. “I’m going.”

Then, I left.

-----

 

Two weeks and he didn’t show himself up again. Jessica had been trying to knock some sense to me by pestering me all the time. It seemed liked she was taking over Sehun’s duties for a while. But truthfully, I prefer Sehun’s way of pestering me rather than hearing Jessica whine all the time with that high pitch voice of hers. I felt like I’m going to be deaf if I stay with her for one more day. I pity Lu Han for that. He’s going to spend the next years of his life listening to Jessica whine.

“Seriously Juhyun, you guys are meant to be together! Trust me! Or you want to make another deal with me?”

I rolled my eyes at her. “Yeah, because the last time we made a deal, I ended up having a date with Sehun and these stupid feelings suddenly came out of nowhere.”

“Aha!” Her eyes twinkled as if she won the lottery. “So you do admit you’re having weird feelings for him. You like him!”

“That was not the point!” I yelled but she doesn’t get scared. I didn’t even sense a hint of nervousness in her. Instead, she was smirking at me. I just raise my hand, admitting my default. She giggled and it was really annoying me more. Thankfully, she stood up and got her bag.

“I’m leaving. I’ll call you tomorrow so you better pick up your phone, okay?”

Now, I just have to make sure my phone will be off tomorrow.

-----

 

That did not work. Jessica found a way to contact me. That was through Kris, who was working with me for another song. She called him because I wasn’t picking up and I told her I did that on purpose, I was about to drop the call when she suddenly began to cry or whine hysterically. I even had to put away the phone from my ear because she was too loud.

“Sehun was sick! And he’s alone. He needs you to be there, okay? This is an emergency, Juhyun. He’s really sick. Lu Han and I can’t visit him because we had an appointment with our parents. He can get really weak according to Lu Han so please go to his apartment and take care of him. Please, Juhyun.” She cried. It almost made me laugh how she uttered every word as if a train was following her from behind. I sighed and told her I’d go and check him out. Not check him out but check if he’s fine or if he needs to be sent in the hospital. After I drop the call, I told Kris I need to go because of an emergency. He just smiled at me and told me he’d try to finish the song and send it to me later. I thanked him before I left.

It took me half an hour to arrive at the address Jessica texted me. Yes, I opened my phone after that call. She had called me almost twenty times and sent me a lot of text messages asking me to pick up the phone. She can be really irritating sometimes but I still love her. She’s like the sister I never had.

It took me another few minutes before I finally pressed the doorbell but it only took him less than a minute to open the door. He looked fine―I mean, he looked like he wasn’t sick at all. I wasn’t even surprised when I saw him looking healthy. It’s like I knew he’s okay all along but I still came for him anyway.

“You’re not sick.” I stated as a matter of fact.

“No, I’m not.” He said. “Is that what they told you?”

I nodded. “So you were expecting me to come?”

“No, not really. After what happened, no. I wasn’t expecting you to come.” He stepped aside and motioned for me to enter. “But do come in.”

I started walking and instinctively, I looked around his house. It isn’t that big but it isn’t small, just enough for someone who lives alone. The walls were painted white and a few painting were nailed at some parts. There are also quite a few windows around, making the whole house looks bright because of the sunlight from outside. He took me at the living room and asked me to sit on the sofa.

“Have you eaten yet?” He asked me.

“No. But that wasn’t the reason why I came.” I told him when he stood up and was about to go somewhere. He stopped, turned around and looked at me like he’s amused. A smirk made its way in his lips.

“Why did you come, then?” He asked me.

“I―” I gulped. “I honestly don’t know. I knew you weren’t sick but I still came. I don’t know, Sehun.”

I stood up and grabbed my bag. “Maybe, I should just go. Sorry for wasting your time.”

I began walking past him but stopped when I felt him grabbed my arm.

“You’re not going to go until we clear things out.” He said―his voice stern. It wasn’t a request but an order and I knew I needed to stay. I turned around and faced him. He pulled his hand back and put both his hands on his pockets.

“What are we?” He asked me.

“We’re not friends.” I told him. “We never are. Acquaintances, maybe?”

“That’s what we are before the bet and the date happened. I was asking what we are right now.”

I paused to think. What exactly are we? That, I don’t have any idea what.

“I honestly don’t know. What do you think?” I asked him back.

“I don’t know. That's why I’m asking you.”

“Tell me what you feel, then.” I don’t know how and where I got the courage to ask him that. He seemed like he was expecting that question though.

“It’s exactly the same way you feel, Juhyun and I bet you know how hard it is to say it out in words.” He said coolly. I nodded in understanding. I knew exactly what he was saying. “But I can show you.”

I looked at him strangely. He stepped forward, pulled his hands out of his pockets and placed them on my waist. My eyes widened when he leaned in. His face was suddenly inches away from mine. I placed my hand on his chest, stopping him from getting closer to me but he just smirked and pulled me against his body. His arms were now wrapped around my waist.

“What are you doing?” I shouted, obviously trying to hide my nervousness. “Don’t you know you’re invading my personal space?”

He laughed that laugh I like the most. It was so carefree and genuine. I should probably remind him to smile and laugh often.

“You don’t sound like it bothers you that much.” He pointed out. I blushed and turn my hands into fists against his chest. I was embarrassed and I need to find a way out of this awkward position.

I stepped on his foot and as expected, he let go of me and screamed in pain as he hopped around.

“Why did you do that?” He yelled.

“To prove you it bothers me so much!” I stuck my tongue out.

“You!” And we began running around his living room like we’re kids. He told me stop but I just continued running away from him. I like this better. We’re like tom and jerry―always fighting, always trying to beat the other out. But that’s just us and I really like it that way. I zoned out for a moment and the next thing I knew he was already in front of me. I quickly stepped backward but ended up tripping because of my bag which ended up on the floor when we began running around. I was falling literally when I felt a pair of strong arms around me, stopping me from falling further. Then I realized we actually ended up lying on the sofa.

“Are you okay?” He asked me.

I laughed. “You did not really save me, okay? It was the sofa.”

He laughed with me. “And I thought I can actually tell you that you owe me one.”

“Not gonna happen.” I grinned but he already stopped laughing. And just like what he did earlier, he leaned in. I knew what’s going to happen next and I can’t or rather I won’t have any excuse now. I closed my eyes and then the doorbell rang.

“Not again.” He groaned. I giggled. He glared at me before he pulled himself up and walked towards the door while mumbling things I don’t really understand. I stood up and followed him. Sehun blocked the door so I wasn’t able to see who the person is but then I heard Jessica and I knew they were the soon to be married couple.

“So are you two together now?” I heard Jessica asked.

“Yes. Now, go.” And Sehun closed the door angrily. He, then, turned around and was quite surprised to see me standing there.

“The idiotic couple?” I asked.

He nodded. “You call them that too?”

“Yes. It fits them.” I grinned. “And when did we get together?”

“We’re not?” He asked in confusion and tilted his head sideways.

“We’re each other’s nemesis.” I chuckled at my lame joke.

“You asked me before why I can’t be like Lu Han.” Sehun suddenly said.

“Yeah, what about it?” I don’t know why he suddenly brought that up. I remembered I asked him that question once before when he doesn’t want to stop teasing me. I remembered I told him how nice Lu Han is and how my best friend isn’t really annoying.

“Because he’s stupid.”

“He is?”

“Yes, he let you go.”

I looked down as I remember how I cried so much because of Lu Han. I smiled because it does not hurt anymore.

“So I can’t be like him. I can’t be too nice to you. I’d rather be your enemy forever. I won’t be like him. I won’t let you go.” He said sincerely and I felt like my heart will burst any moment right now. I looked up and stared at him. I saw him grinning. “So can we have our first battle now?”

“What battle?” I asked. He walked towards me before he whispered, “The best kisser.”

Then he kissed me.

And I kissed him back.

He isn’t exactly the prince charming I was looking for. He was too far from my ideal guy but I still want him. I don’t know how it happened but I like him a lot. I like that he’s different. I like the fact that he isn’t perfect because it’ll be burdensome if he is. I just realized it now. I don’t really need a guy who fits all my standards. All I need is someone who’d make me feel complete and that’s what he’s good at.

Our story isn’t exactly like a fairytale. There are no rude witches who casted a spell on either one of us. There are no bad queens and intolerable step-sisters. There are no missing glass shoes. There are no poisoned apple and dwarfs singing songs. It was just Sehun and I. We are each other’s curse and there’s no way it’ll be broken.

 


It's finally over. I hope you guys like the ending. ^^