The Bet

Not So Much Like A Fairy Tale

It’s been four years since that day I had my heart torn into pieces. It’s been four years since Lu Han left me by myself, crying. I understood why he did not comfort me, why he did not say ‘no’ when I told him we should break up. That time, my greedy self wanted to call out to him. I wanted him to wrap his arms around me and stop me from crying. I wanted him to tell me that he’s not going, that I’m wrong for thinking he does not love me. But I knew better. I appreciated it more that he left me alone because it would have been more painful if he stayed. He loved somebody else and I had to accept that fact.

It did not take me too long to move on. In fact, just a year was enough. It just took a year for us to be back to being best friends. As if nothing happened between us. Honestly, I liked it that way. I realized we were just meant to be friends and nothing more. I also grew close with Jessica. She became one of the closest friends I have. As I got to know her, I realized why he fell for her, why he’s so much in love with her. Truth to be told, if I am a guy, I would have wanted her for myself.

They were happy. They still are and that’s all that matters.

It’s also been four years since the two of them got back together and now, they finally decided to take the next step in their lives. They are getting married. Lu Han proposed to her six months ago and she happily accepted it. They are so happy and yet, I don’t feel jealous at all. Or maybe, I am. A little bit. They are on their way to their happily ever after while my own fairytale haven’t even started yet. I do get lonely sometimes, especially when the three of us were together, spending our free time catching up with each other’s lives. Sometimes, Lu Han will bring with him his annoying co-worker slash best bud aside from me, whom I think pledged to ruin my perfect day all the time he’s there. Lu Han probably thought he’s helping me so I wouldn’t feel so out of place but that’s not really the case. I appreciated his effort though.

Today, I was with Jessica in a coffee shop, waiting for her groom. I accompanied her earlier to fit her wedding dress because the said guy cannot make it. I always end up being the chaperone of the bride whenever the groom isn’t there and you’re the bridesmaid anyway, as what he would always point out every time he asked me to do things for him. It actually makes me happy knowing that the couple trusted me not to ruin their perfect wedding but I have a life too. I’m busy with my own job and I have a lot of deadlines to meet seeing how the music industry is flourishing and most companies are in need of new songs. It also adds to my loneliness as a single woman. I want to get married too. I can honestly prepare everything this very moment for my dream wedding. Too bad, I don’t have a groom and it would be so embarrassing to get married to myself.

“I know what you’re thinking.” I heard Jessica said. I looked at her and raised an eyebrow. I watched as she put her mug down after sipping her coffee. She was smiling at me. Not that genuine kind of smile but that I’m-going-to-tease-you kind of smile. “Why don’t you just date Sehun?”

I knew she’s going to bring up that annoying guy again. Sehun is the co-worker slash best bud of Lu Han after me. The same guy who see to it that my day is ruined every time. I don’t really understand why this idiotic couple always paired the two of us together.

“Oh please. What made you think I’m going to date him?” I rolled my eyes at her. She just laughed at me.

“He’s not that bad, Juhyun.” She coolly said. “Haven’t you seen him staring at you with those longing eyes all the time?”

“What?” I nearly choked. “He never stares at me with those longing eyes you’re saying. He just stares at me whenever he’s pestering me.” I pointed out and that’s true. The guy doesn’t do anything besides teasing me or degrading me all the time.

“Oh my gosh. Lu Han’s right. You’re the most oblivious person in the world.” She exclaimed. I scoffed. I am not oblivious. I don’t really just pay attention to things or in this case, person, I dislike.

“How about we make a bet?” She suddenly proposed. I looked at her incredulously. I do not like this idea of a bet but I motioned for her to continue. I can at least hear what she’s going to say. “You’ll have to ask him out if I prove you he’s staring at you all the time.”

I laughed. It’s just absurd. How can she prove something that doesn’t happen, anyway?

“And if you fail?” I asked her.

“I’m going to postpone my wedding with Lu Han.”

“What?!” I shouted, gaining the attention of the people in the coffee shop. Jessica had to apologize to them on my behalf. She glared at me as she told me not to shout.

“How can you bet something like that?” I asked her.

“Easy.” She smirked. “Because there’s no way I’m going to lose.”

“I’m not going to lose either.” I grinned. “I would never date him even if he’s the last man on earth.”

“The feeling’s mutual, Juhyun.” That voice. I instantly knew it’s him, Sehun. I do not even have to turn around to really check if it’s him. That mocking voice of him is forever imprinted in my head. I just rolled my eyes and mouthed an ‘I told you’ to Jessica. She just shook her head before she stood up and gave Lu Han a hug and a kiss on the cheek. They took a sit beside each other after and that leaves the annoying Sehun to sit in the empty seat beside me. I do not even dare to look at him.

“So how was the wedding dress, babe?” I heard Lu Han asked Jessica. And that’s when it started. They began acting lovey-dovey in front of Sehun and I. I just rolled my eyes and decided not to stare anymore. I felt like puking just hearing all those mushy stuff he never get tired of saying and that giggle Jessica would always let out every time he’s like that. Fortunately, my phone rang signaling that someone’s calling me. I excused myself and shifted on my seat before answering the call.

“Hello?” I greeted the person on the other line.

“Juhyun? It’s me, Kris.”

“Oh, Kris? What’s wrong?” I glanced at the couple and they are staring at me curiously. The two of them know Kris. He’s actually a co-worker of mine. We usually work together. I composed music, he wrote the lyrics. He also confessed to me just a year before but sadly, I can’t accept his feelings. Lu Han and Jessica were there when he told me he liked me and although I don’t know why, the two weren’t really fond of him. He’s a good guy though.

“You know that song we composed three months ago?” He sounds like he’s excited of something and that made me feel excited too, like something big happened.

“What about it?”

“It was chosen as the title track of Shinee’s next album!” He exclaimed. My eyes widened. For the first time in my life as a composer, a song of mine was chosen as the title track. Usually, my songs are just included in an album but never as a title track so this is really such an achievement for me.

“Oh my gosh. Are you sure?” I asked him, wanting him to say that I’m not just hearing things.

“Yes! Come here at the office. We need some papers to sign!” The call ended. I quickly fixed my things and bid my good bye. I don’t even get the chance to answer Lu Han’s question because I basically sprinted my way out of the coffee shop. Today is a happy day.

--

Night came and I finally got home. I thought it would be over once we signed the paper but it’s not. The company asked us to revise some parts of the song and we have to work on it almost immediately. Once we were done, our boss decided to throw a party for Kris and I. We went to a bar together with some of our colleagues and spend some time there. Since I’m not really fond of drinking, I ended up helping my so-called boss and friends so they can go home safely. Even Kris, whom I thought doesn’t really drink, ended up getting wasted.

I throw myself to my bed. I’m too tired to take a bath before sleeping or even change my clothes. I just shook my shoes off before I began crawling under the warmth of my blanket. I was about to sleep when my phone rang. I decided not to answer it but it just won’t stop, so in the end, I grabbed my phone and answered the call.

“Hello?” I answered coldly.

“You lose.” It was Jessica. I don’t understand what she’s talking about, though.

“What do you mean?”

“Our bet, remember?” Oh, right. We made a bet. “You lose. So you have to ask him out on a date. I’m going to send you the proof after this call. Good night, sweetie. Enjoy your date with him!” I heard her giggling before the call ended. I groaned. How did I lose?

A few minutes after the call, I received a video from Jessica. I bit my lip as I pressed play. The video showed me holding my phone and talking to someone on the other line. I assumed it was recorded when I was talking to Kris that afternoon. Then the video suddenly focused on Sehun, who was beside me. He was staring at me. He still had his usual cold expression. It’s as if he doesn’t care about anything in this world and yet, his eyes were expressing something different. It’s like he was pissed off or mad about something I don’t have any idea what. I heard my voice when I told them I must go. His head turned sideways as if he’s watching me go. Then the video suddenly shook. I assumed Jessica put down her phone so she won’t get caught filming Sehun because the video showed nothing but I can still hear them talking.

“You’re jealous, aren’t you?” It was Lu Han’s voice.

“What? No!” I nodded. That’s right. Sehun isn’t jealous. Why would he get jealous, anyway?

“The two of you are so stubborn, do you know that?” I heard Jessica’s exasperated voice. I let out a chuckle. “It’s obvious that you like her, you know?”

“She’s not my type, Sica. She’s not as pretty and y as Miranda Kerr.” Ouch. That hurts. My blood started boiling in anger. Who the hell is he to say that? I know I am not pretty or y but does he really have to say such things about me?

“She may not be your type but she obviously caught your attention.” I can hear Jessica sighed. “Don’t worry. I won you a date with her.”

That’s when the video ended. I quickly called Jessica. She picked up after two rings. I told her the video doesn’t prove anything. But then she asked me if I saw Sehun staring at me. I said yes, because he really did. I quickly pointed out that he’s staring at me because he’s mad―mad that he wasn’t able to ruin my day.

“But he still did look at you. A bet is a bet, Hyunnie. You lose so you have to do it.

 


This is supposed to be a oneshot but I decided to split it in two parts. I just really want to post something right now because I'm too happy, and I'm wishing that by updating this, I'd be able to share my happiness with you guys. The SEOHAN moments last night are really amazing. After a long time of being so deprived, we now get something from them. Anyway, I'm on the process of writing the next and probably the last part of the story. Please wait patiently for it. ^^