Chapter 01

The Laws of Attraction: Between the North and South Pole

Magnolia clouds dotted the sea of blue sky, specks of black- which represents the birds,  occasionally flying across the magnificent sky, so vast and wide, no one knows where the end is, no one knows if there is even an end to the sky. A young girl gazed out of the glossy window, watching the clouds chase after her, almost as if it was mirroring her direction. A black Lamborghini came to a halt as neatly dressed man in his late twenties stepped out of the car, wearing a suit. Opening the door to the passenger seat, a black haired adolescent stepped out, her head bowing slightly in acknowledgement and gratitude.

“Thank you. Pick me up at 3:30 PM. If I’m late, I will notify you by text message.”

She politely spoke, slinging her leather satchel on her right shoulder before entering the school grounds. All clad in the school uniform, she tugged at her navy blue blazer as a gust of wind blew in her direction, her jet black hair flying almost as elegantly as she made her way towards the row of lockers in the hallway.

Who is she? Baek Sumin, the only child of internationally recognized lawyers of South Korea, Mr and Mrs Baek. Mr Baek is the CEO of Baek Law Society and intends to hand it over to his capable daughter, Sumin, once she graduates from law school. At the moment, Sumin is studying at an elite high school in the Gangnam district, a school which only accepts the smartest- or richest pupils and aims to continue generations of wealthy people, with or without the brains. It is Sumin’s last year in high school and she will be taking the college entry examination at the end of the year and hopefully get into a good law school after graduating from high school.

Although time may pass quickly, it is only the first day of the new year, Sumin’s first day as a senior, the senior batch’s last year in high school.

As Sumin strolled confidently down the hallway, she nodded at the greetings from the juniors or even her classmates. Being consecutively voted as the class president each year, she was undeniably the most reliable and capable student in school. She wasn’t the prettiest, but that did not matter to her at all. For all she wanted now, was to get into a good law school, take over Baek Law Society and become Seoul’s best lawyer, perhaps even South Korea’s, if she can. Sumin is all about education and career- trivial matters at the moment like beauty, popularity and romance are at the pit of her priority list. She will not allow any of that to get in the way of her success.

First lesson- Mathematics. Opening the door of her locker, Sumin scanned the neatly arranged books for her Mathematics text book and swiftly took it out without messing up her orderly display. Shutting the door, she turned down the hallway into the classroom for her first lesson. She was just that organized and punctual; perhaps it was because she is a perfectionist, but the quality and perfection of her work always made her seemed almost robotic, she does so well, it may not seem humanly possible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Six consistent knocks echoed down the hallway as the teacher paused, glancing at the tiny window on the door to see a familiar face, a goofy grin plastered on his face.

“Open the door.” Mr Lee’s voice boomed, glaring with his arms akimbo as he waited for the student to enter the classroom.

Raising his eyebrow, he took small steps towards the smiling student.

“As usual, Mr Byun? Why are you late?” He demanded, with the whole class watching.

A couple of boys at the back snickered and some girls looked expectantly at the boy, feminine giggles escaping their glossed lips. Sumin had no idea why or how this situation was humorous, in fact, it was the complete opposite- it disrupted the lesson. It was supposed to be a bad thing, right? Well, apparently these seniors, who acted more like kids, found it funny. It couldn’t be that she lacked a sense of humour, could it?

The boy took off his cap and rewore it, with the front facing the the back. "Well, you see, Mr Lee, I had to-"

Frowning, she tuned out whatever the boy’s excuse was and proceeded to complete the next mathematical sum. He was always late, he never missed lessons, but he never turned up on time. Sumin would have taught him lessons of punctuality but she couldn’t care less. As usual, the only thing she yearns for in life now, was to be a lawyer, a successful lawyer and heiress to her parents’ law firm.

“Oh and Baekhyun, you are not to turn up late starting tomorrow. I have contacted your parents.” The teacher announced nonchalantly, returning to the lesson after hushing the eruption of laughter from the boy’s immature friends.

Baekhyun took a seat at the back of the classroom with his friends and bits of chatter ruined the peaceful atmosphere before he even interrupted with his annoying knocks on the door, although there was an interesting rhythm to his knocks.

Sumin knew who he is; son of the Byuns, rivals of her the Baeks. She knew very well who he was, she grew up with him. Not technically together, but they have been studying in the same school ever since preschool. They were sent to Seoul’s best schools, of course. She was sure her affinity with this boy would end once she qualified for law school. He wouldn’t be able to qualify, judging from his current academic results. Not that it matters, they weren’t friends, maybe acquaintances, classmates, but definitely not friends. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's note: 

Thank you for subscribing! The first chapter is up and this chapter is solely to show the readers the huge contrast between the two characters, on how different they are, be it their mindsets or social circles etc. Though this chapter is short, I hope it helps to clarify and show what I mean by the attraction between 'north and south poles' since Sumin and Baekhyun are completely different, like north and south poles! I will try to make this story realistic and un-cliche, but do bear with me, since I am a new authour, after all! Thank you all. :-)  Wait for chapter 2!