The Monkey Mascot II

The Monkey Mascot

It’s been a week since I last saw him. I guess he’s busy with his girlfriend- good for him. At the very least, I hope I gave him the confidence to get her back. I’m not a mascot anymore, but I still can’t stay away from that damned wheel…

 

Sooyeon thought looking out of the window and sighed.

 

Damnit, Sooyeon! Isn’t it time for you get over it with?

 

“Stop daydreaming! We’re late.”

Jessica, her friend who is also an office staff like her slightly shake her.

“Oh! Right! Sorry!”

 

Man, being an office staff really blows! But… It’s the only way I can think of to forget –

 

They were about to reach the meeting room when Sooyeon saw a familiar figure standing in the middle of the way. He looks lost.

 “Excuse me, miss? Sorry for the bother, but I haven’t seen the gentleman monkey mascot anywhere… the person inside was a good friend, you se-”

 

God! It’s him! Luhan! He’s never seen me outside the suit, he doesn’t know who I am.

 

“The suit’s being repaired, actually, but the person insi-”

“This is a restricted area, sir. Furthermore, I don’t see how mascot and their wearers are any of your business. Please leave.”

Sooyeon cuts Jessica mid way, looking as serious as possible but her heart is aching.

“Oh, um, I see.”

“Er. Sorry about that, but my colleague is right. Sorry.” Jessica continued.

 

Go ahead. Hate me. Like you said, you’re got to move on. Stop living in the past.

 

 Sooyeon watched him walk away sadly.

“What’s with you? He was asking for you!”

Jessica asked her, confused.

“We’re late. Let’s go.”

Sooyeon ignored her question and walked away.

 

“Sooyeon? Is there something wrong? I’ve never seen you like this before! Sooyeon? Sooyeon!”

 

Sooyeon heard her friend but she just keep on.

 

Luhan. You have to move on just like I did.



“Sooyeon! C’mon! It’s just this one time! I’ve got so many suits to repair! Sides, it’s not like you haven’t done is before…”

Taeyeon said. She put both of her palms together in a begging style.

“But I’m done being a mascot!”

Sooyeon whined like a kid, who did not get candies.

 

“It’s just this once! I’ve been so busy since you transferred! Please, pretty please??”

“I can’t ask Tiffany.. she’s meeting her boyfriend tonight! All I’m asking is that you put it on one more time!” She continued when she saw Sooyeon not giving any reaction. She looked at the monkey mascot lying there at the corner of the room…

“Oh alright! But only this once, hear?”

“Loud and clear!”

 

Taeyeon said happily smiling.

 

Sooyeon. You can do this! It’s just one day.



 “ It’s one thing taking on all the responsibility when you know you couldn’t handle it! It’s another to involve me and Sooyeon!”

 Sunny said to Taeyeon when they were making their way to Taeyeon’s car, holding bags and bags of costumes.

“I said I was sorry. Just this once!”

 

Luhan who happens to pass by, heard them. He decided to ask them about the mascot. Just to try luck.

“Excuse me, miss? Do you know the guy in the gentleman monkey suit?” Luhan asked.

“Guy?” Taeyeon asked confused.

“I don’t recall a guy wearing the suit…” Sunny said.

“Sorry, Sir. But the person who wore the suit was actually a girl! Friend of mine. Her name’s Sooyeon. She’ll be working tonight too… She’s at the staff room now.”

 

Taeyeon said pointing at the staff room’s direction.

“Thanks a lot.”

Luhan said before dashing to the staff room.



Meanwhile, at the other side, which is at the staff room, Sooyeon is thinking of a plan to tell Taeyeon that she couldn’t wear the mascot.

 “On second thought, Sorry, Taeyeon… I don’t thin-”

“You’re the staff member from yesterday, aren’t you?”

A voice from her back said, which startled her. She turned back and saw Luhan there. Looking at her.

 

Oh no.

 

“Uh- I-”

Without thinking, she ran out of the room.  On the way, she even knocked into a blonde girl.

“Sorry.”

Sooyeon managed to apologize before splinting away.

“HEY WAIT!!!”

Sooyeon could hear him but she never spend a second for a glance.

 

~O~

 

 “Luhan?”

“Jiyeon. Did you see her?”

“Huh?”

“That woman… She must have misunderstood… I need to see her again…”

Luhan said before crying onto Jiyeon’s shoulder.

“Eh?”


~Meanwhile~

Sooyeon was sitting on a bench outside the fair.

 

Why did you come back? Why can’t you have stayed with your girlfriend? All we have in common was just the Ferris wheel. Hell, he even thought I was a guy! I was such a fool to think we could… I’ve had enough. Best to leave this all behind. Yeah that’s it.

 

She thought.

 

“Why did you run?”

Sooyeon was shocked to hear a voice asking her.

“I beg your pardon?”

She looks up and saw her… Luhan’s ex-girlfriend.

 

Wait… Oh crap! It’s her! She must be pissed! She doesn’t look angry, sad, more like- oh no. Has he- Did he?

 

“Uh, I don’t want to cause any trouble! See you- or not!”

Sooyeon quickly got up and was planning to run away from Jiyeon.

 

She must have followed me here! I can’t get in their way anymore…

 

“You like Luhan, don’t you?”

 That question made Sooyeon stop in her tracks. Sooyeon was confused at the sudden question.

“Huh?”

“It’s my entire fault, really. I was never a good girlfriend… And you were. You were everything I couldn’t be.”

Sooyeon could see tears forming in Jiyeon’s eyes.

“You’re his friend, you can’t abandon him now, especially…” Jiyeon continued.

“What? What is it? What aren’t you telling me? What’s the matter with Luhan?”

“I can’t exactly explain it, but Luhan’s immune system is falling apart… He’ll stay here only a few months more… After that, he’ll need extensive treatment overseas… All he wanted to do before he leaves was to see you…”

 

Se-see me? Luhan…

 

Tears are falling down Sooyeon’s eyes continuously. She couldn’t explain what she is feeling.

 “Hey there! Wow, you look great!”

Luhan said smiling like an idiot at Sooyeon. She’d finally decided to meet up with him.

“Th-thanks.”

“Let’s go.”

They are riding the Ferris wheel today. I think he didn’t know that I knew he will be leaving.

 

To make things worse, I’ve misunderstood. He’d never got back with his girlfriend. I was such a dummy… How can I tell him what I feel??? I have to, otherwise I’ll spend the rest of my life wondering… All right, Sooyeon, you can do this…

 

She thought as she stares at Luhan’s side profile. Slowly swallowing her saliva, she gulps and took a deep breath.

 

It’s now or never.

 

“Luhan?”

“Hmph?”

 

“Oh to hell with it! I like you Luhan! I really do!”

 

Sooyeon said looking at him hopefully.


 

Dumdumdum~ It's not the end yet. LOL