Black Tie

Incomplete Marriage

 

Halmeoni said nothing as the lift took us up the many levels to my office. The elevator door opened and I quickly made my way into my office, my grandmother following right at my heels. As soon as the door opened I rushed to my desk, picking up the drawing board and placing in underneath the desk.

“Why are you walking so fast?” she sighed, entering the office slowly.

“It’s messy,” I smiled weakly, “I just want to tidy it for you.”

She raised an eyebrow but sat down on the couch. 

“Halmeoni,” I sighed, “What brought you all the way here? Aren’t you supposed to be resting in the holiday house?”

She placed her handbag beside her slowly and turned to me, “What’s that on your desk?”

I frowned and quickly pulled the pencil case of drawing equipment down, “Nothing, I was just trying my hand at drawing.”

She frowned and got to her feet, “You have never drawn anything your whole life.”

I laughed weakly, “Um… its a new hobby I picked up.”

She shook her head, a firm hand landing on the packet of rotoring pens.

“Rotoring pens, aren’t these what architects use?”

My eyes widened, I tried to grab it from her, but she lifted it up to her weak eyes, “Halmeoni,” I sighed.

She turned to me, her eyes filled with anger, “Changmin-ah,” she frowned, “You need to stop working so hard. Just because you fired the lead architect you don’t have to force yourself to come up with a new design.”

I smiled at her, “Halmeoni,” I said gently, walking to her side, “I’m okay,” I placed my arm around her shoulders.

She whacked my arm gently, “No, you’re too stress. It’s not your responsibility to draw a new design, go and hire another architect.”

I nodded obediently, “Yes, Halmeoni,” I gave her my best reassuring smile.

She nodded, “Good, go take some time off, spend time with a girl.”

I grinned, “And who is going to work for me?”

“Leave the hotel to me, your grandfather and your sisters, we can take care of everything whilst your parents are in China.”

I raised an eyebrow, “That is very generous of you Halmeoni, but…”

“No,” she cut me off, “No buts, I want you to go out, relax, eat, you still love eating right?”

I nodded.

“Good, go spend time with a girl, I want you to spend time with her.”

I raised a brow, “So you finally agree?”

She nodded, “I’ve always agreed, she’s not leaving anymore, you can spend as much time as you want with her.”

I frowned, why was she being so easy and when had Seung Ni decided to leave.

“I’ve organised a dinner party tonight, black tie,” 

I nodded, “Have you told her yet?”

Halmeoni laughed, “Of course I have told her.”

I grinned, “That’s great.”

She tapped my arm lightly and dragged me over to the couch, “It makes me so happy to see you and her together.”

I smiled, “I have one more meeting this afternoon, but I will be there as soon as I am finished.”

Halmeoni nodded, “It starts at 7:30 tonight.”

I grinned, “I’ll be there at 7:00.”

 

I put the black tie around my collar, a smile on my face. My grandmother had finally accepted her, I grinned at my reflection. Black tie event? She was going to love this. I wonder what sale item she’ll pull out for tonight, Emilio Pucci? Prada? Alexander McQueen? Sass & Bide? I couldn’t help smiling. I placed my cufflinks on and ran out to the chauffeur driven Bentley. The Bentley pulled up at the entrance of our hotel, I couldn’t help smiling as my door opened and I made my way to the function room. I found my grandmother in the centre of the crowd, happily entertaining the many guests. All from rich families, all influential in Seoul. I tried my best to smile politely as I crossed into the centre of the crowd. 

“Halmeoni,” I smiled.

She excused herself politely and turned to me, “Changmin-ah, why are you so late?”

I smiled apologetically, “The meeting was long, I had to go back home and change too.”

She nodded, bring a hand up to my jaw, “You look very handsome.”

I nodded, “Has she arrived yet?”

She nodded, “Of course, she’s talking to the Kims over there, you go on ahead.”

I smiled and made my way towards Jaejoong and his family, a waiter passed and I picked up two glasses of champagne on the way.

“Changmin!” Jaejoong grinned, coming over to hug me. 

I grinned, “Where is she?”

Jaejoong frowned, “You’re fiance?”

My eyes brightened, “She told you?”

Jaejoong growled, “I can’t believe you didn’t tell us, that’s the second time we had to find out after.”

I smiled apologetically, “Sorry.”

He grinned, “I’ll take that,” he took my glass of champagne, “Come,” he grabbed my shoulders.

“Mr Kim, Mrs Kim,” I greeted, into a formal bow.

They smiled back. 

“You’re fiance is quite funny,” Mrs Kim laughed, grabbing her by the arm.

My jaw dropped, in front of me stood Yeon Hee, a smile on her face.

“Changmin!” Jaejoong hissed, “I know she’s pretty, but gees, close your mouth.”

I did a double take, “Yeon Hee…” I gasped.

“Changmin-ssi.”

Jaejoong rolled his eyes, “You’re acting like you’ve never seen her before.”

I frowned, grabbing Jaejoong by his arm, “What did you call her?”

Jaejoong pulled the glass of champagne out from his mouth, a frown on his face, “You’re fiance?”

I shook my head, “No, she’s not my fiance.”

Jaejoong raised a brow, “Then what’s this party about?”

I frowned, turning around to look at the function room, there was a table on the stage with a cake and two glasses of coloured champagne. 

Jaejoong grabbed me, “What’s going on?”

My jaw dropped, “You tell me.”

Jaejoong pulled out a silver and black envelope from the inner pocket of his blazer, “Look,” he pushed the piece of cardboard into my hand.

“You are formally invited to join our family to celebrate the engagement of Shim Changmin and Lee Yeon Hee.”

The cardboard slipped from my hand, “How’d you get this?”

Jaejoong shrugged, “It was sent to my office this morning.”

I brought a hand up to my head, this can’t be happening. Halmeoni, she had planned this. Yeon Hee? Yeon Hee has become my fiance, it’s all announced.

“Hey, are you okay?”

I shook my head, “Jaejoong!” I hissed.

He frowned.

“She’s not my fiance,”

Jaejoong lifted the invitation to my eyes, “And what about this?”

I slapped the back of his head, “Hyung,” I sighed, “You know about Seung Ni and I.”

Jaejoong bit his lips, “Yeah, that did cross my mind.”

I rolled my eyes, “I have no idea what’s going on here.” I tilted my head at my grandmother, “It’s her doing.”

Jaejoong’s eyes widened, “Ohhh…” he whispered back, “When you’re parents are gone too.”

I growled.

“Changmin-ssi,” Yeon Hee called softly.

Jaejoong and I quickly whipped around.

“Yeon Hee!” Jaejoong said happily.

I raised a brow, but he turned back to me confused. I sighed, pathetic.

I remembered the glass in my hand, “Champagne?”

She smiled, “Thank you.”

“So, what happened to going back to Australia?” I brought a hand up to my head, trying to hide my annoyance.

“You’re grandmother told me not to go, she told me that we’ve been arranged.”

“Again?” I choked.

She frowned, “Pardon?”

“Ha…” I tried to laugh, “Arranged?”

She nodded, “You’re family likes to work like that. First Seung Ni, then me, but to be honest.”

I smiled.

“I’m happy about this.”

“Shim Changmin and Lee YeonHee to the stage please.”

I turned around, already on the stage were my grandparents. Yeon Hee grabbed my arm and we went to the stage together, the crowd opening up for us.

“I thank everyone for coming tonight,” my grandmother began, “I am very grateful that you have come to celebrate the engagement of my grandson to beautiful Miss Lee. Yes it is unexpected, but love is unexpected, none of us will know when it has hit us.”

I couldn’t keep the scowl of my face. She passed the microphone to Yeon Hee.

“Changmin and I first me two years ago. I was young and naive, so was he. He…” she turned to me with a smile, “He changed me. Last year, I thought that I was strong and foolishly left him to return back to Australia to be with my family. I’ve realised my mistake now, and have to say that I am very happy to know that I will become his wife.” She grinned and turned to me, grabbing my hand, “Changmin, I promise to be a good wife and make you a good meal every night.”

I swallowed hard, pulling my hand away from her, “I’m sorry,” I said trying my hardest to steady my voice. “When Yeon Hee left me, she broke my heart, I thought that I wouldn’t be able to get back to my feet. So instead of finding help, I chose to bury myself under the hectic workload of the hotel. I neglected my parents, my grandparents, practically everyone around me. Eventually I became an arrogant jerk. For that I am sorry.” I bowed, apologizing, “But then this one girl pushed her trolley into my leg, unexpectedly she was the same girl whom my parents have arranged me to. She changed me, she mended my heart, I no longer work so hard. I take time to attend charity events, not for publicity but sincerely because I want to help and because of that, I’ve proposed to her.”

The crowed swooned.

“However,” I said loudly, over the commotion, “Yeon Hee is not that girl, and despite her loveliness I cannot marry her. Cheomsahamnida.” I bowed again, handed the microphone to my gaping grandmother and ran out the function room.

 

I ran up the stairs to the guest room, where Seung Ni had moved into. She wasn’t there, but on the bed was an apple crumble and a note. 

“I got tired of waiting for you. I’ve gone to visit my parents. Here’s an apple crumble, don’t look in the bin! I’ve burnt too many. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

I smiled, at least she had no idea what was going on.