Chapter 1

What It Takes

Lights filtering through the blinds is one thing. Your friend and flatmate banging on the door in the crack of dawn is another. Kyungsoo groaned and wonder why Jongdae is so determined on annoying him so early in the morning. He rolled to the side and noticed, oh, it's nearly seven thirty. Maybe he should get up. Sleepily, he sat up and rubbed his eyes tiredly. He blinked, still feeling a bit groggy.

  Honestly, Kyungsoo had tried to avoid classes in the morning. He tried to get those classes around 10, the earliest, but some of the subjects he took clash with each other if he doesn't. He sighed, wondering when will school really end.

  "Kyungsoo wake up!"

  "Yeah, yeah," he mumbled in reply. 

  Somehow waking up in the morning is quite hard, he has to push himself just to get up. Then, going to the bathroom to wash his face and force himself to face the splash of cold water because the landlord decided to cut off the water heater for a while to save money. Wide awake by then, he pushed himself through the doors where Jongdae was trying to keep Baekhyun awake long enough to finish breakfast.

  His purple haired friend rested his face on his propped up hand, eyes threatening to close before snapping back up at the voice of Jongdae's who was busy reminding him of things he does not want to think about then.

  Jongdae looked up to see Kyungsoo still in his shirt and pyjama pants, " Sit down. I made some French toast if you want. There's also some cereal if you like."

  Kyungsoo nodded, vaguely wondering how the blonde could be so chirpy at this time. Or maybe it's just because he stayed up late last night playing a game.

  He took a seat and ate a piece of French toast. He can't help but be amused when Baekhyun's hand slipped and his chin hit the table hard enough to shock him awake. Jongdae handed a glass of cold water, teasing him. Baekhyun grumbled and shoved him, pressing the cool glass against his skin.

***

  After a shower, Baekhyun had slowly gone back to his usual annoyingly chirpy self. He smiled brightly and chattered on about the day, complaining about their music professors. The three friends had decided on taking music course, planning to form a little trio of their own soon. Baekhyun being the one most excited and a true believer in it, while Jongdae and Kyungsoo were more practical. Jongdae had taken up language classes to be multilingual enough to be able to travel around with no problem, starting off with Mandarine while Kyungsoo was slowly and quietly studying to take over his family's business.

  Singing was their passion, the one dream wished to come true. The three friends made their way to the music building, having History of Music first, they are in no rush whasoever. Professor Park was very laidback, knowing that not many really anticipate his class. But he was still strict when it came to homework. It didnt matter if the student miss a class, as long as they did his homework.

  By the time the three reached the class, there were already scribbles and notes filling half of the whiteboard and a drawing of what was supposed to be an icon who discovered a piece of music. Professor Park spared a glance at them before returning to the lesson. Some of the students seemed to be taking notes while others decided to either catch up on their sleep or try to keep awake.

  Baekhyun hummed happily leading them to their seats at the back. Kyungsoo noticed how he was trying hard to keep on that smile and just face the professor. He eyed around the class, noticing a familiar black cap a few rows in front next to a blonde. Jongdae seemed to notice too and immediately was by Baekhyun's side. He started talking about the drawing on the board, starting a guessing game of who it was supposed to be. Kyungsoo decided to join in, tilting his head wondering if its a man or a woman with short hair.

  "Hyung!"

  Kyungsoo ignored the hushed whisper, thinking it was for someone else. But the person kept calling and it was beginning to distract him. Yes, history is boring, but exams is coming up soon and- ow!

  He turned to see a familiar tanned guy with brown locks grinning at him. The younger gestured for him to look down. He arched an eyebrow in question, glancing down to see a pen and an eraser on the floor by the foot of his chair. His eyes narrowed at the eraser, suspecting it as the thing thrown to the back of his head.

  He bent down and picked up both the pen and eraser, slamming the pen on to the table, though not loud enough to catch the class' attention, but held the eraser glaring at the culprit. Jongin smiled sheepishly at him, while his cotton candy coloured hair friend snickered by his side. Kyungsoo threw the eraser at him as hard as possible and grinned victoriously when it hit the younger right at the nose.

***

  "I can't believe you actually did that," Jongin grumbled afterwards, rubbing his nose. "I didn't even threw it at you that hard."

  They were now walking just the two of them since Sehun left immediately after class, claiming he has to meet his tutor whilst Baekhyun and Jongdae has composing class after this. Kyungsoo had decided to take it in the afternoon, not liking the idea of having two consecutive classes right before lunch.

  "I didn't even know you take Music History," Kyungsoo said, ignoring the younger's complaint. He had it coming.

  "I need to complete it this year to fulfill the credits," the younger told him. "If I want to perform for the Spring Break Music Festival, I need to pass Music History. I'm not even sure how those two even come together."

  "You're performing?" Kyungsoo asked, surprised.

  "Yeah, me, Sehun, Taemin and maybe Lay hyung," Jongin said, excitedly. "Eunhyuk hyung agreed to help us with the choreography. It'll be our first performance with that many people around."

  "It's not like you haven't perform in front of an audience before," Kyungsoo told him, knowing the younger was too proud to admit he's nervous.

  "But there'll be more people coming this time. And I heard there'll be talent scouts coming too," Jongin said, before adding quietly. "I know I'm younger than most but it's still possible."

  Kyungsoo knew how badly he wanted this. He also knew how his parents felt about it. If Jongin did get scouted, he'd finally be free of the reigns of his family and prove them that he could be a dancer, a good one at that.

  "You'll be fine," he repeated, automatically. "If you're not scouted then, there'll be more agencies around."

  Jongin nodded silently before breaking out into a grin, throwing an arm around Kyungsoo, "Aren't you going to be performing hyung? It's been a while since I heard you sing live."

  "No, I have no intention of performing anything this year except well in class," he replied, firmly.

  "That's too bad," Jongin said. "I would love to hear you."

  Kyungsoo glanced at him, suspiciously. The way he said it made him sound as if he knew something Kyungsoo didn't.

***

  The cafeteria wasn't a big place, but it had nice enough food that Kyungoo simply bought to bring back home. He also made sure to get some for Jongdae and Baekhyun knowing neither would bother coming down to the cafeteria themselves if they could help it. When he reached their flat, he held his books in one hand, his bag slung on to his back and a plastic filled with three meals holding on to his wrist. He fumbled for his keys before managing to make his way inside.

  He could see the familiar magenta and dirty blonde close together in the living room. They seemed to be talking about something important. While Jongdae seemed hesitant, Baekhyun was downright excited.

  He set the food on the table, before going to his room to toss his bag on to his bed. He got back out to see Jongdae unpacking the food and getting the utensils. Baekhyun took a seat, holding in his hand was a familiar flyer.

  Kyungsoo didn't dare ask, but Baekhyun was already turning to him, excitedly.

  "We're performing at the music festival!"