Day 04: I never left, I merely hid

How About Now? Is It Enough?

“Lee Geum Ri… was it?” Taeyeon whispered to herself after hanging up on the phone call. The elevator opened with a ding and she stepped in.

The reflective corners of the metal walls showed a Taeyeon like no other. No cameras have captured the expression she wore as the hold on a certain beverage tightened. The less dominant hand took it from the other in fear that the feelings were becoming more and more evident. Must it have been a second later, there would have been an apparent evidence of unknown malice.

“Just what do you want me to do?” She whispered again and her voice echoed a heavy weight on the walls. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

Ding! There it was. Her cue to enter once more. With the opening of her metallic confines, she strode in the room, attracting attention she never garnered before. Though there was certainly no question that the leader of one of the Hallyu stars would turn this much attention to herself, there was a different wave around her. Who the people saw was SNSD’s Leader Kim Taeyeon yet she wasn’t SNSD’s Leader Kim Taeyeon. She was someone stronger.

Her eyes found a pair of overwhelmingly caring and loud eyes but at this time, exhibited a feeling that reflected a fraction of her own, and the owner seemed to feel the different air around her but didn’t voice it out.

“He’s inside.” Tiffany said, while holding up the cup of caramel coffee the man in question brought for the other American-born member.

“You shouldn’t say it like that, Fany. People are going to think we’re recording a mystery scene.” She said, showing a grin filled with unexpected mirth yet it also held something that coursed through her whole body. It was terrifying yet so alluring that it was like seeing death face-to-face.

“You look… different, Tae.” Tiffany said, switching back to her usual self, a fraction of Taeyeon’s emotions no longer reflecting. Sadly, it had no effect in bringing SNSD’s Leader Kim Taeyeon back. That worried Tiffany tremendously and silently prayed that this would not be as apparent to the other members as it is to her.

“Really? I’m the same as I had been for a long while now. Your eyes must be playing tricks on you, Fany. Still sleepy from your nap from earlier?” Taeyeon said, letting the question float as she walked past the doors, followed by still worried Tiffany.

She found Sooyoung, Hyoyeon and Seohyun talking to some guy. She glanced behind her to see Tiffany walk beside her. She looked around and found Yoona and Yuri at the other side of the room. Footsteps alerted her to movement to her side and found Sunny looking at her with discerning eyes. She offered a smile that seemed to put Sunny and Tiffany at ease. That is, until her eyes finally noticed a pair that she was meaning to see. SNSD’s Leader was gone again.

“Tae-”

“What happened to Yoona and Yuri?” She asked, her leader character unexpectedly apparent.

“Yoona acted a bit weird earlier so Yuri was calming her down.” Tiffany somewhat filled in.

“Weird? What do you mean?”

“It was about Geum Ri oppa.” Sunny answered this time. Before anything else could be spoken, Taeyeon walked straight towards the small huddle, not looking at the pair of eyes that found hers the moment she stepped in the room. She made sure that her heels clicked gracefully and gradually sounded louder to make her presence known. The shikshin noticed first.

“Oh, Taeyeon-ah! Did you get me something?” Sooyoung asked, walking over to her. Sunny and Tiffany watched from afar. Taeyeon offered an apologetic smile.

“Ah, mian. I only bought coffee.” Sooyoung pouted but gave her a smile.       

“I’ll buy something then. I’m getting hungry.” Sooyoung said as she looked around. “Did you see any stores around her?”

“There were some downstairs, but don’t buy anything that will spoil your appetite for today’s dinner.” She reminded, keeping up the leader character.

“I won’t. Manager oppa will come with me, right Manager oppa?” Sooyoung looked at their manager expectantly and Manager Oppa just sighed.

“Alright. Taeyeon-ah, tell the other girls to meet me and Sooyoung at the parking lot so we can go when you’re ready.” With a nod, Manager Oppa accompanied the shikshin to the elevator. This interaction successfully directed the attention to her. The air was heavy around them. Seohyun and Hyoyeon could somehow feel it and they excused themselves to go to Sunny while Tiffany went to check on Yoona and Yuri.

 “Annyeonghaseyo, SNSD’s Leader, Kim Taeyeon-ssi. It’s a pleasure to meet you.” The young man greeted as he offered his hand for a handshake.

“Ne. You must be Lee Geum Ri-ssi. I’ve heard about you from the girls. Thank you for helping Jessica at the airport.” She said, accepting his gesture and shook his hand with a gentle air.

“It’s nothing, really, Taeyeon-ssi.” Geum Ri said as if he was shy because of the acknowledgement. They let their hands fall to their sides. They were both smiling but one of them smiled but did not smile.

“Here.” Jessica looked down to see a familiar logo of her favorite café.

“Oh, is that for me?” She asked Taeyeon.

“Well, I’m handing it to you, aren’t I? Here.” Taeyeon said, reaching for Jessica’s hand so she could pass the beverage. It was warm but Jessica unconsciously felt shivers down her spine at the contact of Taeyeon’s skin.

“Thank you, Taeyeon.” She said as it was polite to do so but she felt uncomfortable. There was something off. The smile Taeyeon directed to her was warm that it was unsettling. It’s not that it was rare but it has been rarely directed at her. Taeyeon turned, planning to go to the others after making an impression she longed to make in a while now, but paused when Geum Ri spoke.

“So, Jessica-ssi. Would you like to eat something with me?” Geum Ri asked with his ever-innocent-looking but kind smile. Jessica was about to answer when she felt a warm hand pull down one of hers and held it tightly. Jessica didn’t look at it but looked at the new Kim Taeyeon that stood next to her. Meanwhile, Geum Ri seemed to not realize what happened and just waited patiently for the girl’s answer.

“Um, can we eat together next time? I had plans with my members today.” She informed him as she felt the warmth on her hand spread elsewhere. Whether or not Geum Ri was disappointed didn’t show on his face. He wore an understanding expression that put ease to Jessica’s mind.

“Of course. If you have time, please give me a call.” He said before taking a bow to the other members and bidding goodbye.

“See you all again.” He said, meant to address everyone, positive energy exuding out of his smile before walking out the doors.

“Do you have your stuff ready?” Taeyeon spoke, breaking the silence that hung between them.

“Ah, yeah. I’ll get it.” Jessica made a motion to one of the rooms.

Jessica thought that this could be a chance for her to think about what just happened but strangely, Taeyeon didn’t let go of her hand and walked with her to get her bag. When she got it, Taeyeon gently took it from her and carried it. As they walked back, Yuri and Yoona were already with the group and Yoona looked like her usual self.

While some of the members talked normally with each other on their way down, some of them remained silent, especially the two oldest members. The hold on Jessica’s hand didn’t falter, exerting the same gentle but secure contact as it had always since earlier. It didn’t change when they met with Manager Oppa and Sooyoung, when they got out the building where Tiffany walked next to Taeyeon as a conversation continued between them, when they got in the van and ‘accidentally’ sat next to each other. It still remained the same while they were in the elevator on their way up the dorm. Jessica didn’t know what this was but decided that it was best to discuss this later.

“Ah, we’re finally home together, all of us.” Sunny voiced out as she entered the room, even snuggling at their couch as the other members remove their jackets.

“Ya, Lee Soonkyu! Hang your jacket in the closet.” Taeyeon said, her voice lighter than it was before, containing a bit of humor in them.

“Ah, I’m too tired. Can you hang it for me?” Sunny meant it as a request with little aegyo and Taeyeon laughed, then proceeded in picking up the fallen coat. Taeyeon was still holding Jessica’s hand so Jessica was beginning to wonder how the girl was going to accomplish it.

“I’ll do it, Tae.” Tiffany said, taking the coat from Taeyeon.

“Ah, thanks.” Jessica casted a questioning look at Tiffany to which the girl obviously paid obliviousness to. She didn’t know what to do but she followed Taeyeon’s lead which was down in front of the couch that Sunny was laying down on. They sat there next to each other with the comforting noise of laughter and conversations from the other members. Though it certainly made Jessica miss her days in the dorm, she was more concerned with what Taeyeon was thinking.

“Taeyeon, let’s cook dinner.” Hyoyeon said from the kitchen. Finally, both to Jessica’s relief and disappointment, Taeyeon let go of her hand.

“Alright, coming.” With that, Jessica was left in the middle of her extended family. She felt movement from behind her and found Sunny reaching over to her as she lay down at the couch. Tiffany moved to sit next to her and as if reading each other’s mind, they rested their heads together.

 

Dinner was like any other SoShi dinner, full of love and laughter as well as happiness and comfort. It had been a while since Jessica had a night like this together with the other members. It was certainly one of the things she loves, being part of So Nyuh Shi Dae, a group of nine girls.

Since it was a family dinner, they had a lot to eat and certainly the two that cooked the feast wouldn’t want to be the ones washing the dishes. Strangely, Yoona and Yuri volunteered to wash the mountainous pile of dishes. The other members applauded them for their bravery.

Jessica stood up from the middle of the living room.

“I’m going back to my apartment with Krystal. Thank you for the nice meal, guys.” The members could feel the sincerity in her words and they smiled but they didn’t want her to go again.

“Could you stay tonight?” Sooyoung asked as she holds Jessica’s hand and swings it lightly as if to whine at Jessica.

“Yeah, by tomorrow, we will all have our different schedules. We won’t even get to meet up for the rehearsals for the Marchen fantasy in a month.” Hyoyeon added.

“Please, Jessi. Could you stay here tonight?” Tiffany had a pout as she held on Jessica’s other arm and imitated Sooyoung’s whining by swinging her arms lightly.

“Ya, let go of my arms. They are starting to hurt.” Jessica said with a smile on her face even though she complained about the two’s adorable aegyo.

“Please~!” The two whined even louder. She looked around to see Seohyun absorbed in her book and Hyoyeon just watching them with a smile with Sunny. She was looking for a certain someone to help her since they did argue about it last time but Taeyeon wasn’t around the room. Thinking there was no point, she sighed and sat down in the middle of the two. The two looked at her expectantly.

“I’ll think about it.” She said before standing up again and going to the room that she used to share with Sunny. She giggled at the groans she heard from the two and the laugh Hyoyeon and Sunny shared.

There was no change at all. Other than the absence of her personal things, everything in the room was the same. Well, save for the different sheets in Sunny’s bed. She dropped on her bed and inhaled the fragrant scent. She smiled at the scent, thankful that the members washed the sheets and kept it clean since she left.

There was another scent in the sheets and she knew it was familiar. The scent was calming and it slowly brought a heavy feeling on her eyes. She felt her body sore all over as her tense body relaxes on the bed. In a few seconds, she feels herself flying off to a peaceful sleep.

“…” There was the opening of a door but Jessica didn’t want to open her eyes.

“Ha… are you sleeping already?” Jessica couldn’t answer because of her sleepiness but kept a part of her mind listening to whoever this was. She feels her bed shift and a hand caresses her hair in the most soothing way.

“… I’m sorry, Jessica.” Jessica frowned though she didn’t know if this was a dream.

“Haha… Why are you frowning? Are you mad at me?” The sad voice continued to speak. Jessica felt her hand twitch before warmth engulfed it. It was familiar warmth.

“Hn… Taeyeon…” She voiced out though she wasn’t awake at all. The hand tensed.

“Jessica? Are you awake?” She could hear the almost fear in the voice but she still didn’t answer. When she felt the warmth moving away, her hand clasped on the warm hand that held her lovingly.

“You scare me sometimes…” The voice continued on, its tone, a little lighter and less sad.

“Were you surprised earlier? I’m sorry if you felt uncomfortable.” The voice was apologizing again and for some reason, Jessica didn’t like it. She held the hand tighter.

“I don’t understand… ha… I used to understand you just as well as Tiffany does.” The bed shifts once more but the warmth spread around her this time.

“I’m sorry… I’m really sorry, Jessica…” Jessica feels a drop of water on her cheek before hearing some sniffling and deep breathing. The warm hand that was on her hand shifts to caress her cheek, at the spot where a drop of water fell.

Jessica’s eyes flutters open but remain daze.

“Taeyeon…” She calls out as she reaches out to the girl lying beside her. Though she was in a daze, she could make out the surprise in the girl’s face.

“Jessica! I- um…” Taeyeon stuttered but noticed the dazed look in her eyes.

“Are you asleep?” Taeyeon asked softly but Jessica’s next action made her tense up. Jessica, who had been facing Taeyeon as she laid on her side, used one hand to prop herself up slowly and tried pulling Taeyeon closer to her. Her hand made its way around Taeyeon’s shoulder and when Taeyeon didn’t move, Jessica placed her hand behind Taeyeon’s neck and guided Taeyeon’s head to her chest. Taeyeon’s eyes widened.

“J-J-J-Je-Je-s-shi-k-ka.” Never had Taeyeon stuttered so much in her life that she pronounced the English name with a thick Korean accent.

‘So… soft…!’ Her face expressed so much that it was unreadable but two apparent ones are embarrassment and a kind of frustration. It didn’t help that both Jessica’s arms secured her, making her unable to break free especially if she wanted to get away without waking the girl. She was red as the blush made its way to her cheeks. She tried to focus on something else. Her arms wrapped around the sleeping girl’s waist and Taeyeon moved closer.

Dugeun… Dugeun… It was safe to say that Jessica’s heart beat was slow and calm; it was the opposite of Taeyeon’s right now but it seemed to comfort Taeyeon’s very own. She closed her eyes to focus on the beating of the other girl’s heart.

“…Hn…Tae…yeon…” At the call of her name, she snapped her eyes wide open but didn’t move. ‘Is she awake?’

“…why?...” Jessica mumbled. ‘She sleep talks now?’

“Why… did you… leave?” As soon as those words left Jessica’s subconscious, Taeyeon closed her eyes.

“I’m sorry… but I never left… I merely hid.” She said before moving upward to bury her face in Jessica’s neck and holding onto her. Before Taeyeon slipped into her own subconscious, she wondered how Jessica would react in the morning to see the two of them sleeping in each other’s arms in the same bed. She decided to worry about it when it happens but surely, Jessica will be confused. She better give a straight answer if she wants to save this. But a question still lingered in her mind before she fell into a warm and deep slumber. ‘Will I be able to tell her?’

 

A/N: Hey guys! Annyeong~ Missed me? Thank you for those who supported the petition and stuff. I am really thankful and I decided I was going to update today no matter what happens but I could only update one. I decided to do this one because DoRS is ending soon and I want to prepare my mind for it. My mind was on this story so I couldn’t right DoRS the best way that I could so I updated this one today. This chapter came out because I was feeling a bit hurt in a personal way. I wanted to express something and this chapter was a fraction of it.

I would like to continue thanking you guys for loving this story and reading it. It’s great happiness to see people reading my stories and sticking long for the next chapters. Thank you very much.

It’s kind of late now so I will address other things at the next chapter like the people who upvoted the story. I have a lot of things to do but I wanted to give you guys something for helping. Those of my AFF Friends and Subscribers, I thank you very much for helping with the petition. For the readers of this one, here is the next chapter. For DoRS readers, I’ll have the next chapter by next week. I’m wrapping up DoRS in two more chapters. Thank you once more. See you all later. ^-^v