KyuMin's Story

University Together

KyuHyun ran past hundreds of people, fidgeting with his backpack the whole way. As he got closer to the park, his smile became wider. When he finally reached his destination, he was full-blown giggling. This is not how he usually is.

He looked around, and emited literal rays of sunshine when he sees a boy sitting on a nearby bench. The boy was reading a book, seemingly unaware of his surroundings. He jogged over, and when he got within earshot, he called out.

"Min!"

The boy looked up, startled. His expression morphed into one of excitement when he realized it was KyuHyun. He stood up, giving the taller boy a tight hug. "Hi Kyu! How---Oh my. Someone's out of breath," He laughed, and KyuHyun could only flash a sheepish smile.

"I ran over here. The whole way. F-From the station." KyuHyun breathed out phrase by phrase. The other boy appeared amused. "Why? I told you we could spend the whole afternoon together."

KyuHyun smirked. "Oh, you don't have a clue." He opened his backpack and started to rummage through it. "SungMin, I present to you.... this. Tadaa!!" He fished out a white envelope, adorned with tiny gold cursives.

SungMin's mouth fell open, and the two shared an understanding look before they jumped in utter excitement. "You got accepted into SM Uni!! got accepted into SM Uni! Oh my gosh---"

"We're gonna attend the same university. Together!!" They both squealed at the same time.

 

KyuHyun passed SungMin the letter so he could look at the contents. He flipped it around, smiling until his cheeks hurt. "It's the exact same one I got last week. I can't believe it. Well, I can, actually. You're too smart for your own good," He started, but when KyuHyun puffed his chest up in pride, SungMin continued, "I take that back. I take that allll back. You're an idiot, through and through."

The taller male pouted, receiving a hearty laugh in return. "I've got something for you, to commemorate this," He fished out a file containing a few pieces of carefully folded paper. "This," He unfolded the documents and pointed to a specific code, "Is the code for the latest StarCraft PC game."

Although he seemed as if he just presented the universe's secret on a piece of golden paper, SungMin could not understand the sentiment. He tilted his head to one side, receiving the paper slowly. "T-Thanks?"

KyuHyun wiped an invisible tear from his eye. "You're welcome. If you really like me, you'd invite me over to play with you sometime too." SungMin could not find it in his heart to explain that he does not game, much less reject the gift. His friend (and secretly, his crush) seemed to have put in a lot of thought and effort into securing this gift, so he was going to learn to play it, even if it takes him countless of sleepless nights.

"Coincidentally, I also have a little something for you," SungMin flashed a small smile, relieved that he did not come empty-handed. KyuHyun watched expectantly as SungMin inserted the file into his bag, taking out a small paper bag instead. He gently pushed the paper bag towards the younger boy, a dusty pink blush covering his cheeks.

In a tiny voice, he said, "I... I don't know if you'll like it, but... I've saved up for this for so long. Then, I realized that this could potentially be a congratulatory gift, in case you got the offer. And if you hadn't received the acceptance letter, which I doubt would have happened, I would have kept this gift until Christmas."

KyuHyun smiled fondly at the shorter male, finding the other so utterly endearing. He muttered a thanks before opening the paper bag. He reached in, and felt something extrememly soft and furry. What he pulled out of the bag was a pink bunny keychain, the size of his hands. He it hesitantly, not knowing what to do with something so seemingly delicate. "D-Do you like it?" He looked at his (secret) crush, smiling reassuringly. "Of course. Thank you. I... I'll make sure to use it". The grin on SungMin's face practically guaranteed the bunny's life. The bunny henceforth will be worshipped and appreciated every single day.


"That was SUCH a funny movie!" KyuHyun giggled over dinner. They have had lunch, watched a good movie, and is now having a casual dinner in a family restaurant. KyuHyun nodded in agreement as he took a sip of his milkshake. "I loved it when the main character scared the shiz out of the kids!"

SungMin knocked his head back in laughter. "YES! When he dropped from the freaking sky!" He shook his head at the mental picture, stuffing his face with fries to stop himself from laughing loudly.

After the two boys gulped down their meals, SungMin took a look at their receipt. "How should we split this? Are we sharing the extra chips or should I pay? I don't mind either way," He smiled, and KyuHyun, who paid for them first, scoffed.

"This one's on me, Min". His offer was met with resistance: "No! We're friends; there's no reason for you treat me today! If anything, I should be treating you!" When KyuHyun denied the suggestion, SungMin continued to veto, "If you treat me now, it'll soon become a bad habit. I don't want to burden you like that!"

KyuHyun grinned. "I don't mind. Let me treat you for life". SungMin blushed at the implication, mumbling, "And how do you know we'll be friends for life?" KyuHyun arched an eyebrow as he pondered on an appropriate reply. He decided, they've both been friends for only a few months, but the bond they share is already so precious to him. He knows he trusts SungMin with all his heart, and he was going to tell him. Oh boy, he was going to tell him.

"Kyu...?" SungMin prodded when the boy sitting across him suddenly got lost in his thoughts. At his prompt, the taller boy jolted back to reality, looking straight at him with a direct, unwavering gaze. SungMin shifted under the new, intense attention. "Yes...? Kyu, is everything okay?"

KyuHyun in a deep breath, and in the calmest, quietest voice he has ever produced, said: "I like you. I love you. Will you go out with me?"

SungMin gasped, completely not expecting that question. In shock, he could not find it in himself to produce a coherent reply. The other boy seemed to have interpreted his response negatively, biting his lips nervously. "I-If you don't have an answer, I can wait. A-And if... if you don't want to, I... can you... can you just forget I ever said anything?" The words seemed to physically stab him, but he delivered the statements nonetheless.

"I..." SungMin gaped, his brain overworking. "I... Oh goodness. I'd never---I didn't think you'd... me too. Yes. Kyu, I want to go out with you!! I want to hug you longer, kiss you and spend much more time with you. Thank you thank you, I love you too." He breathed, the words leaving his mouth subconsciously. "And I'd be more than glad to be able to spend my university years with you".

The both of them shared an ever growing smile, happiness radiating from the core of their beings.


A few nights later, in SungMin's house...

KyuHyun is presently trying to teach his boyfriend the mechanics of Starcraft, and it was not going well. SungMin laid his head on the table, an irritated sigh escaping him involuntarily. He looked up at his taller boyfriend, his expression filled with pure exasperation. "I can't do this".

"Of course you can!!" SungMin simply pouted, unable to absorb the encouragement, as much as he wanted to. He just wasn't cut out for this. He didn't enjoy the game as much as KyuHyun hoped he would, and he felt bad. Looking for comfort elsewhere, he noticed the bunny keychain strapped to KyuHyun's small backpack on the corner of his desk.

He cupped it in his hands, smiling softly as the soft fur provided all the cosy comfort he needed. KyuHyun watched in amusement, switching his attention between SungMin and the exciting game on the PC.

A lightbulb moment happened, and KyuHyun's grin could beat the Cheshire cat's.

"Min, I have an idea!" The older boy looked up at him, confused. "I realllyy, really want to the play the game. And you really like this keychain," He started, lightly brushing SungMin's hands with his long fingers.

SungMin continued to stare at him, intrigued. "How about... What would you say if we swapped our congratulation gifts?" SungMin's eyes widened, as if the wonderful idea has flooded his whol mind. KyuHyun chuckled at the reaction.

Soon enough, SungMin was nodding vigorously.

And moments later, he finds himself secured on KyuHyun's lap, watching his taller boyfriend slay in the virtual world. He nestled further into his lover's body, enjoying the warmth and comfort as he cradled the bunny keychain.

The both of them were silently smiling, all for the right reasons. Both content, happy to have compromised. There are going to be more days like this, where one, or both, would have to give in to find a middle ground, but they didn't sound so bad. Eternity doesn't seem so long when I get to spend it with you. The thought coursed through both their minds, but neither voiced out the thought, slightly fearing he would get laughed at for the cheesy phrasing.

However, what did happen was another shared look between the two, which resulted in wide, wide smiles.

It seems like the KyuMin couple can expect a very fun year together in university, together, and they can't wait.