at 6:00

at 6:00

The clock flashed four red digits. 10:30.

In Kim Junmyeon’s world, the moon was shining among the dark, starry sky, above a city that never slept. However, in Zhang Yixing’s world, the sun had only been up for about four hours in the bright, cloudless sky, above a city that wasn’t real.

Yixing slipped into the bedroom he shared with Junmyeon; a smile lit up his face when he saw his lover covered underneath their blue blanket. A tuff of dark hair stuck out near the pillows. He strode towards the sleeping man and pulled the covers off, admiring the milky skin Junmyeon wore. The light was peeking through the spaces of their blinds, and it helped highlight Junmyeon's other features.

“Get up, Junmyeon,” Yixing told him as he sat down on the bed. Junmyeon dropped an arm over his eyes and grumbled. “I made breakfast. The traditional way.”

At this, Junmyeon brought his arm down and squinted at Yixing. The corners of his pretty lips quirked up. “Sounds good,” he said as he moved around on their bed, “give me five more minutes.”

Yixing frowned a little, not wanting to waste any time—whether it be one minute or one second—because he knew. He knew that this wasn’t real, and he knew that Junmyeon was going to be gone at six o’clock sharp tonight, and he knew that he wouldn’t be able to see Junmyeon until next time—whenever next time was.

He also knew that Junmyeon only loved him in this world.

“Are you really that tired?” Yixing sighed and pushed himself off the bed. Soft, strong hands grabbed his hips to pull him back and Yixing turned his head to look at Junmyeon, who was now attached to his hip. “I thought you wanted five more minutes?”

“Don’t leave me,” Junmyeon mumbled.

Yixing knew that he would never leave him, even if he would desire to. He was stuck.

His heart pulsed faster as he eased himself back onto the bed. But instead of sitting down like he previously did, Yixing lied down beside Junmyeon. He wrapped his arms around the latter and let him bury his face in his neck, inhaling deeply.

“I’ve missed you,” whispered Junmyeon.

“Me too,” Yixing whispered back. The back of his nose started to sting and there was a lump quickly forming in his throat; Yixing blinked rapidly in order to shove his tears away. He cleared his throat to get rid of the stupid impasse.

“I can’t go back to sleep,” Junmyeon laughed, oblivious to the overwhelming emotions that the other was experiencing. He lifted his face and pressed a chaste kiss on Yixing’s chin. “What’s the agenda for today, XingXing?”

“You’ll see,” Yixing smiled. Junmyeon pressed another kiss on his chin.

And that was another arrow sent through his beaten heart.





“What else do we need?”

Junmyeon carefully placed the cans inside the cart and watched fondly as Yixing checked off the items on their grocery list. Despite his weak memory, Yixing was able to get things done using other methods like this; and Junmyeon loved him for that.

“We still need ketchup,” Yixing told him, focusing on the piece of paper in his hand. “And tomato sauce.”

“Are you making spaghetti for dinner?” Junmyeon asked. “I wouldn’t mind eating some.”

Yixing pushed a smile on his lips, looking troubled. It was a good thing that Junmyeon began pushing the cart or else he would’ve seen the strained expression he had. He swallowed dryly. Junmyeon never ate dinner in this world because he was always gone by six. Perhaps Junmyeon never noticed.

But then again, why would he?

“Yeah, I’m planning to make spaghetti tonight,” Yixing replied instead.

He wished that Junmyeon could eat dinner with him.





“Where are we going?” asked Yixing curiously. The older was pushing him into the passenger’s seat of their car.

“We’re going on a date,” the latter told him with a wink. He closed the door for Yixing and hurried towards the driver’s seat.

Spontaneous decisions and actions were things that defined Junmyeon—and he loved it. Yet sometimes, this side of him was something Yixing would like to punch. (Not today; today appeared like a good day.)

“Is there any occasion?” Yixing asked, although he was eager. He hadn’t been on a date with Junmyeon for ages!

“Just wanted to bring you somewhere special,” Junmyeon answered as he shut his door. Yixing never nagged, so Junmyeon was quite surprised at the enthusiasm that he showed while he was driving. He asked multiple questions, intrigued and excited, about where they were going and what they were doing. The place wasn’t that far, probably fifteen minutes away, and when they stopped in front of an animal shelter, Yixing couldn’t help but be surprised.

“This is our date?” Yixing asked. He didn’t know what he was feeling; disappointment or happiness? He loved animals, don’t get him wrong—but he expected to go somewhere . . . romantic.

“We’re picking up someone first.” Junmyeon pulled him out of the car, taking his hand in his.

Yixing furrowed his eyebrows (thank god his bangs were hiding his eyebrows), finally settling on disappointment rather than happiness. What exactly did Junmyeon mean by date?

The temperature had gradually dropped since this morning and their not-so-thick coats provided them limited warmth, causing them to hurry into the warm building. They were greeted with barks and meows, almost running into a young man who was chasing a little puppy around.

“It’s just a nice shower!” screeched the young man. The puppy replied with a small bark.

“I’m sorry about that, sirs,” said an employee. He was about Yixing's height, with dark cropped hair and pale skin. His half-smile was handsome, and his eyes twinkled mischievously. They both glanced at his nametag.

“It’s alright, Chen-sshi,” Junmyeon said. Yixing nodded in agreement, wondering who in the world they were going to pick up from an animal shelter.

“We’re here for Yifan.”


Chen raised his eyebrows; he didn’t comment and merely nodded his head. “Follow me. Have you already filled out the forms?”

“Right,” Junmyeon blinked and dropped Yixing’s hand. “They’re all in the car. I’ll be back in a second,” he said. He smiled at Yixing and the younger watched him in bewilderment. What was happening?

“What forms?” Yixing asked when Junmyeon exited the building.

“Adoption forms,” he answered. He tilted his head. “Didn’t he tell you?”

The door opened and Junmyeon rushed in with papers in his hands. His hands were cold when he handed them to Chen.

“We’re adopting?” Yixing asked him. Junmyeon was smiling as he nodded—and then, it suddenly clicked. Adopting a pet?

“An addition to our family,” Junmyeon informed him. Yixing let out a grin that reached his eyes, and Junmyeon slipped an arm around his waist. “After this, I promise to continue our date.”

Chen, a little uncomfortable with the lovey-dovey couple, simply smiled at them and continued on. “As I was saying,” he said, “follow me. Yifan’s been ready for a couple of minutes now.”

They headed further into the room, entering a back room where a golden retriever sat in the midst of the messy room. There were wallpapers hanging off the walls, chairs lying upside down, and some dog food scattered all over the floor.

Chen took in a sharp breath and laughed nervously. He waved his hands in front of him as he caught sight of the couple’s astonished expressions. “This isn’t how it typically looks, believe me. We had difficult clients to handle a few days ago and we’ve been trying to fix this mess during our breaks. It’s not going well, as you can see,” he chuckled again.

He gestured for the golden retriever to come closer.

Its beady eyes passed Chen, glanced at Junmyeon, and stared at Yixing for the longest time. Yixing felt somewhat uneasy with the penetrating stare that the dog was giving him, but eventually, Yifan made his way towards Chen.

“He’s not like the normal, outgoing types,” Chen explained to them as he rubbed a spot behind Yifan’s ear. “He keeps to himself for the most part, but he’s a fun fella once he’s used to you.” He kneeled down and murmured to Yifan about his new “parents” and how he wouldn’t see his “friends” for a while. The two heard his whimpers (Yifan understands what he’s saying? Yixing thought to himself) and Junmyeon was nearly tempted to break it off; but he wanted someone to be with Yixing while he was gone. 

“Come here, Yifan,” Junmyeon suddenly said as he kneeled down on the floor. He opened his arms and grinned widely at the dog. “Welcome to the family.”

Yixing kneeled down as well, next to Junmyeon, however, he didn’t open his arms because Yifan scared him a little. Yifan must’ve smelled his fear (was it true that dogs could smell fear?) since he moved towards Yixing and onto his lap, burying his nose in his collarbones. Yixing almost fell down at the unexpected act but he felt Junmyeon wrap his arms around him and Yifan and everything seemed fine.




Yifan snuggled at the bottom of their feet.

After the initial meeting with Yifan (and nearly two hours of a How to Deal with Yifan lecture from Chen), Junmyeon proceeded on with his plan—which was to bring Yixing and Yifan to a park. It was chilly now; but they couldn’t care less because it was the thought that counted, right?

To his delight, Junmyeon had packed a picnic basket without him knowing—complete with a picnic blanket and sandwiches, and a camera.

Right now, they were lying down on the picnic blanket, looking up at the sky and watching the sun as it was ready to set.


“How do you like it?” Junmyeon asked him, slinging an arm around Yixing’s waist to pull him closer.

“I love everything,” Yixing whispered. He turned his head to smile at Junmyeon. “Thank you. I guess you planned this thoroughly, huh?”

“I’m already planning the next date,” remarked Junmyeon thoughtfully. He sent his lover a gentle smile. “Are you happy?”

“As long as you’re here, I’m happy,” he replied, taking into account what was going to happen tonight. He hoped that Junmyeon would catch onto it.

But he didn’t.


“I’m always here for you,” Junmyeon replied, finger tracing a pattern on the left side of the younger’s chest. “And I’m always there.”

Yixing stayed silent, dark eyes leaving Junmyeon’s and averted on the tiny space between them. Fingers grasped his chin and pulled his face up, and soon he was feeling warm lips against his, moving softly and lightly—yet it sent sparks of fire down to the tips of his fingers and toes.

Junmyeon pulled Yixing tighter against him, never breaking the kiss, and Yixing puts his elbows on either side of his head to balance himself on top of the older. He didn't know how he managed to be on top, but he didn't mind. Junmyeon's hands pressed into his lower back, fingers trying in vain to touch his skin, and then

He suddenly remembered.

Yixing abruptly broke the kiss, eyes searching for his phone to check the time (damn it, he should’ve worn that watch that Junmyeon bought him—but he couldn’t find it).


5:45.

“We should go home,” Yixing said, forcing a laugh as he started to hurriedly pack up.

“Huh? What’s wrong?” Junmyeon asked, hoisting himself up on his elbows and watching Yixing clean up their space.

“It’s almost six—and I need to make dinner. Spaghetti, remember?” Yixing said with a tiny smile. It was all he could do; if he smiled widely, he was certain that he would start crying—or perhaps his lips would start shaking. It was almost time for Junmyeon to go, and he didn’t want to—

“Our day isn’t over yet,” Junmyeon pouted. Yixing wanted to throw the basket at him and yell, Yes, it is! But he didn’t.

“I have so many things to do,” Yixing sighed. He didn’t, and he hated lying to Junmyeon, but he hated suddenly seeing his world disappear in less than five seconds. He hated it.

“Alright, alright,” Junmyeon said. He pushed himself up from the carpet and folded the red plaid blanket. “It’s a good thing we live close,” he said.

“A very good thing,” agreed Yixing. It wasn’t long until they were heading back to their home.





5:54.

“Go take a bath,” Yixing told Junmyeon as they entered their home with multiple grocery bags and Yifan.

“Eh? I can help you—“ 

“It’s fine,” Yixing told him. He headed to the kitchen with Junmyeon in tow. Yifan set out to explore his new home as soon as they came into the threshold. “Keep away from the kitchen because I’m going to make something special for you. I’ll try to make something for Yifan too. It’s like a celebration for our new family member.”

Junmyeon laughed, placing the bags on the kitchen counter. He trapped Yixing in a hug and kissed his forehead. “You’re so cute, you know?”

His heart thudded with joy and pain, and he turned around to kiss Junmyeon on the lips. “Thanks,” Yixing answered with a genuine smile. He glanced at the time on his phone again. 5:57. “Now go upstairs and keep away from the kitchen. I’ll call you down for dinner.”

“Are you sure—“

“Junmyeon,” sighed Yixing, utilizing a playful façade. He ushered Junmyeon out with a last kiss. “Don’t come in until I tell you to.”

“Got it, sir,” Junmyeon saluted with a laugh and walked into the living room. He heard Junmyeon call Yifan, followed by a bark, and then footsteps up the stairs. Yixing heard noises coming from the second floor, heard the laughter that emitted from Junmyeon and the loud barks Yifan sent him; he tried to ignore them, all the joy that was happening upstairs—along with the terrible feeling blooming inside his chest.

Three minutes. He had three minutes with Junmyeon and he was going to make spaghetti.

He was only boiling the pasta when his phone rang with an alarm. His alarm tone was a theme song of a drama that he and Junmyeon watched for an entire day a few months ago. Yixing didn’t need to check his phone to know what time it was.

It was 6:00 and he was confident that Junmyeon was gone.

His vision grew blurry as he continued to make their dinner. He bit his lip while the back of his nose stung. He pressed the heels of his palms onto his eyelids and forced the tears to stop. Maybe, just maybe, Junmyeon was still upstairs with Yifan. But the laughter was gone, and all he could hear was Yifan's confused whimpers. Despite the hasty change of atmosphere, Yixing still hoped that Junmyeon was still in this world.

Although sure enough, when Yixing finished making their dinner at 6:25 and called him down to the kitchen, only Yifan came in.

Yixing ate his dinner alone and left a plate of spaghetti in the microwave.




Junmyeon woke up to the sound of his alarm clock.

The sky was still dark but he knew it was morning. He didn’t need to check the time to know that it was 6:00. He had a nice dream last night, like some other nights, and he had a feeling that it was with the same person again.

Too bad he couldn’t remember anything about it.


a/n: i tried my hand at (fake) angst again and this happened; btw, here's the resource for that image. (im sorta citing sources omfg what)