The Wringer

Pandora

“You have a visitor,” a nurse said in monotone as she opened the cell door. My eyes widened and I quickly sat up. Nobody has come to visit me in years. My parents stopped visiting after the first year they put me here. Who could it be?

“Well are you just going to sit there dumbly? Come on now,” the nurse said rudely as she ushered me to the visitor’s room. The visitor’s room was small; there was a table in the centre with two chairs on either side of it. The nurse opened the door and I walked in. Sitting in one of those chairs behind the table, was a man I recognized. I let out a small gasp. He looked at me coyly. He had one leg crossed over the other and was wearing a well-tailored suit. His top hat was sitting atop the table. He had full lips, and brown hair. His eyes were intense and he had a small beauty mark near his left eye. He was a mirror image of myself.

“Jongsuk…” I whispered.

He stood up from his seat and took my hand. “Darling, it is so wonderful to see you again.”

“You have thirty minutes,” the nurse said before leaving.

“What are you doing here?” I asked, the shock evident in my voice.

“To see you of course!” he exclaimed with a grin. “Come now, we have a lot to catch up on.”

He sat down and gestured for me to sit as well. I sat on the chair opposite of him.

I placed my arms on the table and leaned forward. “How did you get here?” I whispered.

He also leaned forward. “Well, you see, when you left Pandora, things became slightly, messy.”

“You didn’t answer my question. How did you get here?” I asked sternly.

“Aren’t you glad to see an old friend? I mean, I was quite surprised to find you locked up in this hellhole. I think you should be grateful to see a friendly face, don’t you?”

“I don’t know what you’re doing here, but leave, now,” I said.

“Now, now, don’t be so rude to an old friend. I’ve come to tell you urgent news.”

I cocked my head to the side. “And what would that be?”

He giggled and shook a finger. “Ah, but what would be the point in telling you right away? Tell me, how are you feeling dear? I know you’ve been locked up a while. Don’t you feel…mad?”

“If by mad you mean angry, then yes I do, very much,” I replied. I knew Jongsuk, he liked to play games, and he loved asking questions upon questions. It was hard getting information out of him even if he was the one delivering it. In Pandora, he was called The Wringer.

“Actually, by mad, I meant insane, crazy, you know? The reason you are here,” he laughed. His laugh echoed through the walls.

“I’m not in the mood to play one of your games Wringer, just tell me what you want,” I said.

“Now child, I cannot just give away information for free.”

“You were the one who came to me, I am not seeking information,” I replied.

He smiled wickedly and sat back in his chair.

“I see you’ve grown up. You’re not so naïve anymore,” he mentioned. “Well, I guess I shall tell you the reason I’m here. I’ve urgent news from Pandora, from the Queen herself.”

“The Queen?” I asked taken aback.

He nodded frantically. “Yes, yes,” he his lips. “You see, the Queen is no longer the Queen.”

“What do you mean she’s no longer the Queen?”

“Exactly that. She is no longer the Queen.”

“And?”

“And what?” he replied.

“What’s the urgent news from the Queen?” I asked exasperated.

“Ah, yes. The Queen said, and I quote, ‘Go fetch that wretched Earthling girl that came here years ago.’”

“That’s all she said?”

Jongsuk nodded.

“What do you need me for?”

“Well, you see, a few months ago Pandora went into civil war. The Queen’s forces were battling the forces of,” he leaned in and whispered, “the Sorceress.”

I had never met the Sorceress, but I had heard many tales about her while I was there.

“The Sorceress has powerful support behind her,” he continued, “her army overthrew our beloved Queen and took over the land. Our Queen lives in exile, she does not have her magic, or enough support to defeat the Sorceress.”

“What do you want me to do?” I asked slowly.

He giggled again. “Silly girl! The Queen wants you to defeat the Sorceress.”

My eyes widened from shock.

“She w-wants me to defeat the Sorceress?” I asked stuttering.

“Yes, come now we shan’t waste any more time.” He took out his pocket watch to check the time and quickly stood up from his seat.

“How are you going to take me? I can’t leave here! I’ve been here for years!” I shouted.

“Yes. That’s right, you have been here for about 4 years, I think it’s time you get some fresh air, don’t you?”

He placed his hand in his suit pocket and took out a familiar necklace with a blue tube on the chain.

“I believe this belongs to you.” He placed it in the palm of my hand. I just stared at it.

“Well, go on now, open the portal,” he urged.

I shook the blue tube up and down a couple of times. The static blue portal appeared.

“I see you still believe. After you,” he said gesturing to the portal.

I closed my eyes and jumped in. I can’t believe I’m doing this again.