The Beginning

Pandora

“Mommy, I’m going to play in the backyard,” I shouted.

“Okay dear,” my mother said.

I walked out of the house with three of my most precious dolls in my hands. I went over to the tree stump and began to play with my dolls.

“Do you want some tea?” I said making my voice a bit higher.

“Yes please that would be lovely,” I said changing my voice.

I continued to play with my dolls when I heard a strange noise. It sounded like a tree had just collapsed on the house. I turned around to check if my house was okay, it was in perfect condition. I decided not to pay attention to it and returned back to my game. After several minutes I heard another noise. This time it sounded like static. I stood up with one of my dolls in hand. I decided to go investigate.

“Let’s go find out where that noise is coming from Jade,” I said to my doll.

I walked around my backyard in detective mode. I felt like I was in a movie. That’s when I noticed a light shining behind the shed.

“What could that light be?” I asked my doll.

I walked over to the shed and carefully looked behind it. My eyes widened and my jaw dropped. I was shocked to see what was before me. It was a blue circle that was spinning in the ground.

“Woah…Jade do you see what I see?”

I made my doll nod.

“What do you think it is?” I asked my doll.

I crouched down and put my hand over it. I examined it carefully. I was about to stand up but my feet lost balance and I fell inside. I screamed at the top of my lungs and clung onto Jade tightly. Where were we going? All I saw was the same blue static as I was falling. I closed my eyes. After a few minutes I felt myself hit something hard. I opened my eyes and realized I was on the ground. Where am I? I looked around the place and there was long green strands of grass. And by long, I mean longer than my head, almost the size of trees. There was a pathway going through this grass.

“Should we follow the path Jade?” I whispered.

I walked along the path holding Jade tightly to my chest. After walking several minutes I heard something rustle in the grass. I quickly turned around.

“Who’s there?” I said nervously.

I heard more noises coming in the grass until something jumped out at me. I screamed and shut my eyes. When I opened them I saw a woman in front of me. She looked like a magician. She had a black shiny top hat, a suit with tails, and white gloves. She looked at me and smiled.

“Don’t worry I won’t hurt you,” she said gently.

“W-Where am I?” I asked.

“You’re in the forest of course,” she replied as if it was obvious.

I shook my head. “No, I’m not from here.”

“Oh, well then you are in Pandora,” she said.

“P-Pan…” I stuttered.

“Pandora,” she repeated.

“Pandora?” I said.

She nodded. “Where are you from?”

“Earth,” I said.

“Wow you’re the first Earthling we’ve had come here. I thought Earth didn’t exist,” she said amazed.

“What’s your name?” she asked.

“N-Nana,” I stuttered again.

“How old are you Nana?” she asked.

“I’m eight.”

“How did you get down here?”

“There was a strange blue circle thing that was in my backyard,” I explained.

I stared at her. “Why do you look like a magician?”

“Because I am one,” she said.

“Really? Can you show me a magic trick?” I asked excitedly.

The lady stared at me and made my doll disappear.

“Ta-da!” she said happily.

“What did you do to Jade?” I cried.

“To who?”

“My doll!” I yelled.

“Calm down kid, your doll is right here.”

The lady took off her hat and pulled out Jade. She handed her over to me and I hugged Jade tightly.

“What’s your name?” I asked the lady.

“Jupal,” she replied.

Jupal started walking away.

“Where are you going?” I asked trying to catch up to her.

“We’re going to my house,” she said.

“Where’s your house?” I asked.

“You’ll see.”

We walked for a while.

“I’m tired. Are we there yet?” I whined.

“Almost,” she replied.

I felt my stomach growl.

“I’m hungry,” I complained.

Jupal turned around.

“You complain a lot kid,” she said. She picked me up and carried me the rest of the way.

“We’re here,” she announced as she put me down.

“Woah…This is your house?” I said astonished.

Jupal nodded proudly.

Her house was a deck of cards stacked together. It looked like it would fall over any second.

“Let’s go inside,” she said holding my hand.

We went inside one of the cards; it was a giant ace of spades. The doorway was the giant ‘A’ in the corner of the card. We went inside. There was a lot of magician stuff. There were slides for stairs.

“Woah this is so cool!” I exclaimed.

I ran to the slide.

“How can I go on here?” I asked.

Next thing I knew I was lifted up into the air. I began to laugh. I was placed on the slide and slid down. There were a lot of twists and turns and it was very high. I screamed hysterically all the way down. Once I was down the slide I stood up to catch my breath.

“That was so much fun!” I said happily running toward Jupal.

“I’m glad you liked it,” she said.

“Is everyone here a magician?” I asked curiously.

“No,” Jupal replied.

“Do you have a lot of friends?” I asked.

“No,” she said again.

“Why not?” I asked in confusion.

“People here are very distant with each other kid. It’s better that way.”

“How come?”

“You ask a lot of questions kid. Shouldn’t you go back to your land?” she asked.

“Yes I should! Mommy and Daddy will be so worried! But, how do I get home?”

“That’s not a problem.”

She opened the palm of her hand and the circle static thing showed up.

“That’s called a portal. You can go through different worlds with it,” Jupal explained.

I nodded in amazement.

“If you ever want to visit Pandora again just shake this,” she said handing me a necklace with a little blue tube on it.

She put it around my neck.

“Please visit soon,” she said.

“I will Jupal,” I said.

I smiled and waved at her.

She also smiled and waved goodbye before I went through the portal.

I clung onto Jade as I went up the portal at high-speed. I felt like I was spat out from the portal. I landed on my bottom in my backyard. It was sunset.

“Nana come inside, it’s dinner time!” my mother opened the door and yelled.

“Coming,” I said.

I stood up and grabbed my dolls. I checked behind the shed and the portal disappeared. I headed inside the house. I guess my parents never noticed that I left. I can’t wait to tell them everything that happened.