2

Flying Without Wings

When the bell rang, signalling the end of the first period, DongHae immediately turned to face his seat mate who was trying so hard to not look back at him. Still wearing that brilliant smile, the brunette finally speak, "So, HyukJae-ssi, what is your second class?"

 

"History," the other replied shortly, as he tries to focus on assembling his things.

 

"Oh, I have that too!" DongHae replied happily, eyes shining even brighter as he collected his things too. "Do you mind if I walk with you to our next class?" He asked.

 

"Um---I," HyukJae started, about to turn back and look at the angel when he was suddenly pushed out of his chair by a couple of his classmates; male and female alike, as they all tried to talk to the new kid. Used to this kind of treatment, HyukJae just stood up on his feet, shouldering his bag before casting a glance at the center of attention then he walked out of the room. When the brunette looked to the person he was speaking to earlier, what he found was Hyukjae's back already walking out the door. So in a flash, he collected his things, bid his apoligies and was also out in no time, catching up to the other.

 

"Hey! HyukJae-ssi!"

 

Hearing his name being called out, the said person looked back only to have his breath be knocked up when an unexpected weight was thrown straight at him. He barely had time to adjust as he dropped his things, his arms going around the slim waist. Before he could even realize what happened, he looked down to be greeted by the most mesmerizing brown eyes and an adorable pouting face of a brunette who was staring at him with almost moistened eyes.

 

"You left without me," the brunette whispered pitifully.

 

And before HyukJae knew what he was doing, he lifted his other hand and patted the mop of brown hair, which was exceptionally soft, and answered, "I'm sorry."

 

In a flash, the bright smile returned and he placed a soft peck on HyukJae's cheeck before moving away to help the stoned redhead pick up his things. Not understanding what happened, even more so, why he acted that touchy with a stranger, HyukJae stoop down to grab his things and made a run out of it.

 

The brunette, however, just giggled as he watched a frantic Hyukjae before whispering to himself, "You really are cute."

 

*

 

HyukJae tried to get away from that absurd new student as much as he can, but coinsidentally, they both have the same classes and they both seat beside each other in each of it. It was not helping that he kept on remembering that soft touch of the other's lips on his cheek, especially seeing his face so close; those deep seat of brown eyes and those---

 

"Stop it, Hyukjae!" He hissed at himself and before he could berate himself more, a silent giggle caught his attention and he turned to glare at his seatmate; who was the cause of all his misery.

 

"What?" He barked in a whisper, not wanting to have his attention called by their teacher.

 

"Nothing," DongHae whispered back, but it was obvious it was nothing by the way his eyes were twinkling and trying hard not to crack up. "You're just cute, HyukJae-ssi."

 

That was it. HyukJae decided that he definitely hated this guys as he looked away with a scowl, feeling his face heating up. He just hoped that the brunette wouldn't notice it.

 

*

 

Just like any other school day, Hyukjae was very much relieved to get out of that place; especially now that he had one more reason to hate going to school.

 

And that was no other than Lee Donghae.

 

He never would have thought that he will meet someone as eccentric as the brunette. Who the hell ate chocolate only during lunch break? Or who could answer a college calculus in less than half a minute? Even that chemistry formula that looked like came from another dimension with all the unfamiliar symbols. In short, DongHae was one smart kid. Not even that, the brunette even seemed to charm each and every one in their school with his light aura and bright smile; HykJae even saw Siwon and his pack approaching the brunette in one of the class they shared together and they were all cooing at him which was seriously out of character and it creeped the hell out of him.

 

All in all, Donghae was the kind of kid that is loved by everyone in an instant.

 

So it really boggled his mind why this said kid try so hard to get his attention.

 

Despite the fact that they will be seat mates the entire day, he also ate lunch with him, and even walked out of the gate with him. HyukJae was only thankful that they do not go to the same street since he was starting to feel really uncomfortable with all the stares he's receiving from the entire student body.

 

And another thing that was seriously irrational, that despite the fact that he feels awkward having DongHae cling to him, he does not really despise it. In fact, if he was being honest with himself, he kind of liked it. It was as if he was drawn into DongHae and he just lets him do whatever he wanted without even snapping once at him.

 

And it was weird, really.

 

But he can't help having a small smile on his lips as he made his way home.

 

*

 

On the other hand, the brunette was all smiles, as usual, as he had a handful of grocery bags. As the lift came to a stop, he stepped out and walked towards the door of his apartment. Seeing that he had a lot on his hands, he just let that bag of groceries float in the air as he got his bag to retrieve the card key. When he got it, he swiped the door open before getting in, followed by his grocery bags which settled themselves on the kitchen counter.

"Bada-yah, I'm home," he shouted gleefully and he giggled as he heard pats of foot steps coming from the second floor of their loft.

 

Setting down his things, he made his way to the kitchen and put on a blue apron before starting to make dinner. Just then, his companion arrived.

 

"Are you seriously trying to tell me you can cook?" An indignant tone said, and DongHae looked up to see his friend change to his original form.

"Well, I could say this is a fair surprise. I thought you said you won't reveal your real form while we're down here?" DongHae asked, as he finished washing the vegetables.

 

"Technically, we are at the 52nd floor of the most highest hotel in Korea so we are not down. And second, how could you expect me to stay in that tuny bundle of fur. My magic gets really irritated when it is trapped in that small container," the other replied annoyingly, scrunching up his nose as he remembered that feeling.

 

"Who told you to be a Maltese? It was your choice which by the way, if I may point out, quite ironic of you. Really, BaDa, you could have chosen to be a cat of some breed and yet you morphed into a dog? You are impeccably impossible," DongHae snorted, miticulously slicing he ingredients for their dinner.

 

"Hmph, whatever or whoever I transformed for is none of your concern. Besides, I did told you I once dreamt to be a dog when I was a cub," the lion replied haughtily.

 

"Exactly. Ironic," the brunette replied.

 

"Tsk. I like you better when you were a child."

 

"I like you, too, better when you were a cub," DongHae retorted before sticking his tongue out childishly.

 

"Oh you---"

 

"By the way, Bada, I met him today," DongHae said excitedly.

 

"You did? So, what was he like?" The other asked, getting curious.

 

"Well, he was all she ever told us to be. He is abit of an out cast in that school and a shy type too. And he talks less and all that.But he was really sweet and gentle. He even patted my hair---and you know how much I love my hair getting patted so I kind of---umm," DongHae hesitated, peeping at his companion before turning his attention to his task.

 

Bada squinted his eyes and replied, "You what? What did you do this time, DongHae?"

 

"Isortofkissedhim?"

 

"Sorry, what?"

 

"I sort of---kissed him?"

 

"What?!" The lion growled, making the lights flickered from the immense power before they switched back on.

 

"It was just a peck on the cheek! I swear...I just---I couldn't stop myself and I---I was---" DongHae tried defending himself, and he was starting to shiver from Bada's sudden outburst. And when the other see the state of his angel, he took a deep breath of walked towards the brunette, nudging his side with his furry head.

 

"I'm sorry for growling...I'm just...You know we can't be that touchy with humans, DongHae, especially you. What if anything happened to you? Your father would have my head as a decoration," Bada said, trying to shake those negative thoughts he made himself away.

 

The brunette sighed and patted the lion's head affectionately, "I know. I'm sorry, Bada. I won't do it again," he said softly.

 

When all of that was put behind them and DongHae's dinner turned out to be delicious, BaDa finally asked, "So, how did it feel to kiss him? Even if it's just on the cheek?"

 

And with that, DongHae turned into a squealing girl as he reported to the lion every part of his day and Bada confirmed that even though he had seen this angel grow up, he never saw DongHae's smile to be so brighter than it was before. Especially when the redhead's name passes his lips.