1

Flying Without Wings

not proofread

 

Remeber, Hyukjae-ah, you'll never be alone. Even when I am no longer beside you, never feel like you're by yourself. There's always someone watching over you for me. Okay, darling? Don't be sad that I can't be with you anymore. Because you have someone.

 

You have your guardian angel.

 

That was the last time HyukJae ever talked to his mother. He was so young back then; only 7 years old when then had that conversation. And as a young kid, the only word that stuck to HyukJae was Angels. Ever since then, he's been obssessed with those mythical creatures. He collected figurines, posters and decorated his room with anything related to angels. For the kids his age, he was deemed odd because he's not into mainstream; while kids in the neighborhood go to clubs and parties, Hyukjae chooses to stay locked up in his room and just being with his angels; while kids in his school loved Katy Perry and P!nk, Hyukjae was more into classical and relaxing music; and while kids go around hooking up with strangers, HyukJae would more likely be in a relationship with his angels. And so, that's the reason why there's really no one that gets close to him; he's got no friends and no social life. But he's contented with that because he's not alone.

 

He have his angels.

 

*

 

"Oi, Lee Hyuk-Freak!" One of the jocks called out as HyukJae was walking at the corridor to get to his math class. Just like any ordinary day, he ignored those bastards who have nothing but their arrogance and just walked straight; not even glancing at their direction. But then, he was suddenly tripped and he was on the crowd; his books scattered and he let out an annoyed sigh as he started picking up his stuff.

 

One hand stoop down and got a hold of Hyukjae's book mark; an angel bookmark and then there were snorts everywhere as they made fun of it. "You're such a freak, Lee Hyukjae. Why would you have something as gay as this?" Siwon, the leader of the jocks, mocked as he looked at the object with ridiculousness. The other jocks laughed around as they passed the object and started doing this stupid dance as they mocked Hyukjae who was still picking up his books. When he finally stood up, he stared blankly at his usual bullies and snatched his precious book mark at the hands of YunHo and said, "Don't touch it. You'll make it dirty with your filthy hands."

 

Now this isn't an unusual occurence.

 

HyukJae hates violence.

 

But when they started messing with his collection; he forgets this fact and his tongue just can't hold back any retort that he's bitting back. The jocks knew this and it makes it more thrilling to make fun of Hyukjae because he answeres back---and the fun is in that, really.

 

"What did you say?" Siwon asked menacingly, that evil smirk on his lips as he walked towards his prey.

 

Hyukjae stood still, before looking up at his bully with piercing eyes and answered, "I said, you're so filthy I don't want to look at you."

 

"Why you---!"

 

But the bell suddenly rang just as Chansung was about to struck him and students started running to their respective rooms. When the crowd became busy, Hyukjae used this opportunity to get away from those worthless kids and go to his class.

 

*

The trees were blowing softly, the spring wind playing with the leaves as they rustled from the branches. He was lying under the shade of a tree and the surrounding was so quiet that Hyukjae could just stay here and sleep. He was at his secret hideout; a meadow just a few meters away from the school. It was completely hidden and it seemed like no one discovered it besides him so it's safe to say that it's his place only.

 

Sitting up, he got his sketch pad from his back pack and his pencil case and started to draw.

 

It has ben his escape from the world. Doing nothing but scribble lines in his sketch pad and draw anything that's related to angels; it was enough to put him at ease after hours of putting up with school work, people and his life. Never once did Hyukjae asked his dad for attention; he was too busy working as a chief police to care for his son. And he's got no sibling to talk to or to care about. His mother passed away when he was so young that he can't even remember her face properly if not for her photos in the house. He's used to this feeling. But he never felt alone. Because he isn't. He's got his angels. And that's the only thing he cared about the most---

 

The sudden rustling of the bushes caught his attention and he looked away from his almost finish drawing and stared at one direction with squinting eyes. After a few seconds of complete silence, he reluctantly went back to his drawing---only to look back when he heard twigs breaking. Standing up immediately, he dropped his sketch pad and slowly approach the moving the bush with cautious steps. There was another rustling and he picked up whatever was within reach, which was at that time, was a rock. He raised it above his head, thinking that it's a rabid animal and he prepared himself to strike. But what he didn't expect was when a white fur ball suddenly came running out of the bush, but when he took sight of Hyukjae with the rock on top of him, the puppy adorably wagged his tail and sat down on the grass, staring at Hyukjae.

Feeling utterly stupid at his position, Hyukjae threw the rock to the side and dusted his hands on his slacks before he kneled down to stare at the white dog who's still looking up at him. The dog barked and Hyukjae felt a smile tugging on his lips as he patted it's head softly, liking the soft fur under his palms.

 

"Hey there, pup---are you lost?" Hyukjae talked to the dog as he squat on the ground, right next to the dog. The dog barked twice before he jumped at HyukJae's lap and his hands.

 

"Bada-yah!" Someone shouted---somewhere near the hidden meadow that Hyukjae stood up, scooping the pup in his arms as he walked forward again---the bushes starting to rustle for the second time. The dog started thrashing in HyukJae's arms, barking continuously that Hyukjae had to look at the dog and shush him as he listened further for an intruder. Walking a step forward, HyukJae braced himself for what comes next. But then, he was up for another unexpected outcome when what came out of the bush were brown hair, crawling on all fours. Hyukjae stared at this weird person for a second before the said person paused from crawling out when he came close to HyukJae's feet. Slowly, the stranger looked up and what HyukJae saw made his breathing hitch---

 

Brown eyes are staring right back at Hyukjae, and he felt his heart beat increasing as the creature suddenly showed him a toothless smile before he was up to his feet. The stranger rubbed his eye and reached out to HyukJae. The action made the latter take a step back, feeling that weird sensation at the pit of his tummy as this intruder suddenly pouted and took a step forward.

 

"Umm---Mister?" The person said, his voice sounded so soothing and velvety in Hyukjae's ears that it was almost like a lullaby. "Can I have my puppy back?" He added, reaching out both arms to Hyukjae.

 

 

HyukJae looked down at the maltese on his arms and quickly gave it to the intruder. But as he was doing so, their hands accidentally brushed against each other and there was that electric shock that ran through Hyukjae that he got his eyes wide. When he looked up and met the brown orbs of the other, he was mirroring Hyukjae's expression, which means he felt it too.

 

"Did you---"

 

But HyukJae didn't listen to his words as he swiftly took a step back, grabbed his bag and ran out of the meadow. The boy left behind watched at the other curiously, before he stared at his hand that felt that tingling sensation the moment their hands touched and there was that adorable grin on his lips as he said,

 

"Found you."

 

*

 

It was yet another day. A common and unusual day. And as HyukJae walked at the school ground with that same blank expression, all he wanted to think about was the very typical morning---yes, it is a very normal day...nothing's wrong---

 

But everytime he thinks how he hated the people around him since day one, how he thought that he;d have to encounter his bullies in a while but then everytime he thinks all the things he hated like any other day, this thoughts would always revert back to those brown eyed angel. Yes, angel. Ugh, he hates himself that it felt so natural to call that stranger an angel. He wanted to bang his head on the wall the moment he woke up because he just had a dream about that person...his face was so clear, almost like it's a 3D and all he did was memorize the other's face, the twinkle in his eyes and the brilliance of his smile and when he woke up, he just hates himself. He's a stranger! He doesn't even know if they'll see each other again. So with that annoyed sigh, he stomped his way to his first class.

 

*

 

Class started just like it always does and as the teacher entered and put the class in order, Hyukjae rested his chin on his palm and looked in front boredly. But as the teacher said,

 

"We have a new student. Come in."

 

His eyes were glued to a new figure entering the room, and as the newcomer faced the class, he felt his heart skip a beat as he was once again looking straight into that sweet smile and brown eyes.

 

"Hello. I'm Lee DongHae, nice to meet you."

 

And in a split second, Donghae's eyes landed on HyukJae's surprised ones and his smile only widen as his eyes looked at him with recognition and when the teacher told him to sit at the empty seat just beside Hyukjae, the brunette happily complied and skipped to his assigned chair. HyukJae tried so hard to not look at his right where a certain person sat down beside him. There was that force telling him to look to the side and when he allowed himself to do so, it was as if his oxygen was cut off when DongHae was smiling directly at him.

 

"So, you're Hyukjae?" he asked with that sweet voice.

 

"Y--yeah," the other replied and looking away.

 

"Thank god you're HyukJae," DongHae muttered under his breath as he smiled to himself, staring at the shy person beside him with adoring eyes.