3

Flying Without Wings

not proofread :P

 

"So, why don't you talk too much?"

 

A quirky question was popped up when an uninvited person settled himself down on the trimmed grass. It was lunch time and HyukJae was peacefully eating his packed lunch (since his cooking is more edible than that of the food the canteen sells) under a shaded tree at the school garden. After hours and hours of trying hard to ignore a cheery seatmate, he finally managed to get away from him to have a quality time with himself; he doesn't really appreciate being in the receiving end of those hidden glares sent his way whenever the transferee talked to him so now, he is trying to be invisible. But no matter where he goes; the broomcloset, even inside his locker (believe him, he really tried getting away from DongHae) the other always and without a doubt could find him. And now, for the umpteenth time this day, he was once again cornered that he can't do anything but frown at his food and grumbled, "Because you talk too much."

 

"Oh."

 

There was that down tone in the brunette's tone that tempted HyukJae to look up at his seemingly stalker, but he forced himself not to indulge such temptations; he believes it could be really dangerous.

 

"So, why don't you talk too much?" DongHae asked again, reverting back to his cheery tone as if HyukJae did not answer his question.

 

With a heavy sigh, the redhead put down his lunch and leaned back on the tree. "I don't have anything to say."

 

"Your eyes tell otherwise," came the reply.

 

And that made Hyukjae to turn his face to the left to find brown eyes already focused intently on him before asking, "What?"

 

"Your eyes," the brunette began, "they tell too much than what you intend to say. They have those depth that other people do not understand because you don't see things the way other people typically do. You stay quiet in the sidelines, watching people pass you by but in reality, you are studying them; assessing their moves, their reactions. Your eyes see too much, and they say too much so you don't really have to verbalize them. Because I know. Because I can see your eyes--- and they are beautiful."

 

*

The sun has set. The moon starting to give its presence accompanied by those tiny twinkling lights littering the sky. It was trully a magnificent sight.

But that view was rendered irrelevant by a certain someone who sat infront of his desk, a mirror at hand as he scanned his face. He is wearing a frown; both from trying to decipher the words from earlier as well as trying to search for what DongHae had said.

 

"My eyes look normal," he muttered to himself, his frown deepening. WIth his free hand, he placed the tips of his thumb and forefinger on his eyelids in order to open his eyes more---a rather silly action. "Beautiful? Almost all Korean citizen have the same eyes as I had. If you ask me what beautiful eyes looked like it would be a chocolatey brown eyes that crinkle when you smile and would---"

 

but that train of thought was cut when HyukJae realized he was picturing DongHae's orbs.

 

*

Meanwhile, at the 52nd floor of a five star hotel, a certain brunette sat at the center of the bed. His expression was akin to that of melancholy as he stared down at the crude basin they call anamniseis made of stone right in front of him. Beside him, his white lion was sprawled also staring at the anamniseis, its tail swishing and his big head resting at the lap of the other. Inside the basin were pictures of a place they call home; pictures flashing right before their eyes as if watching a slideshow.

 

"I hate seeing this, it makes me want to go back home," Bada grumbled, and DongHae chuckled as he ran a hand over the lion's brilliantly white hair.

 

"I share the same sentiments. But you know we can't be back yet," the brunette said, feeling sorry for his guardian. "If only I could send you back---"

 

"If you thought that I would actually leave you down here alone, then you are sorely mistaken. I am your guardian, DongHae. Guardians don't leave their masters alone in a place as dangerous as this," BaDa cut him off before he added, "especially because you are a prince."

 

With that, DongHae gave a mildly harsh tug at the hair of the lion as he grumbled, "I hate it when you remind me that."

 

"I have to, since you tend to forget," BaDa retorted before swishing his tail too hard that the tip hit the brunette's cheek for revenge.

 

"You know I could never forget, BaDa. Never," the brunette said in that very low tone, sadness starting to eminate from his body that got the lion to nuzzle his head at the other's stomach. He hated it when DongHae felt this way. Not only because as a guardian, he is compelled to feel whatever emotion his master was having, especially the negative ones, but because he knew that he could never do anything to erase the pain of the past.

 

The images on the old basin disappeared with a flick of the brunette's hand before he laid his back on the bed, BaDa's head automatically resting his head on the other's stomach.

 

"You're homesick," the lion pointed out, watching the other's expression.

 

"Hmm. Maybe. Maybe not," was the vague reply before DongHae closed his eyes and allowed himself for a restless slumber.

 

*

 

"What do you like?"

 

And yet came another one of those random question the brunette would ask him when they are alone. Somehow, the tree they sat down the day before became a common spot for both of them to just---talk (though DongHae did most of the talking, really.) But in a way, this day seemed to be a good day for Hyukjae because he actually found himself wanting to answer that question.

 

"I am fascinated with angels."

 

*

 

DongHae tensed for a moment when he heard those words. In reality, he is not expecting to produce a legitimate answer from the redhead; he has gotten used to the low grumbings, nods of approval and that slight complaining that he was caught off guard. But, he was especially shocked by the answer.

 

"Angels?" He tried to keep his tone neutral, to sound as if that did not affect him at all. "Why angels?"

 

"Well, long story short, my mother told me I had a guardian angel."

 

"And...you believe her?"

 

"Of course I do. I knew my angel's there somewhere, watching over me."

 

And DongHae found himself unable to look away from the other. HyukJae wearing that small smile on his lips, something that never occured in the days DongHae wached him closely. His expression turned into that most gentlest face as he looked up at the sky with a peaceful aura surrounding him. It was odd, the other thought, he never would have thought something as mundane as a certain human could actually look--- magical. He'd seen other creatures; nymphs, elves, griffins and other sorts and had gotten used to their varied uniqueness but something about this HyukJae screamed for something more; more than what he came here down for.

 

And as DongHae's heart made a sudden skip, his bellies fluttering in that pleasant but unknown way, he forcefully looked away.

 

He suddenly felt scared.

 

_____________________________________

I am starting to enjoy this story. Woder if it's because of the fantasy genre that I get to throw out random imaginations that I have? >:)

BTW.

anamniseis - memories (GK.) <---actually got this from Harry Potter; the Pensieve, though made it look more oldish.

Hope you liked it! <3

Ta-Ta!