The sacrifices they make.

How to Appreciate Somebody

“Hyung, can I go?”

 

I asked Onew hyung. We bother were in the kitchen, me sitting at the table and him on the stove.

 

Here I am, leaning on my elbows watching Onew hyung. Here’s the kicker- Onew hyung is cooking! Actually, he’s baking, but isn’t it the same thing? Making food is making food. Whatever.

 

And I’m bored and a little afraid for my life.

 

I have never witnessed hyung cook or bake and he asked me to follow him to the kitchen.

 

Why did I ever agree?

 

“Oh look! They should be done by now,” Onew hyung grinned and put on Key hyung’s oven mitts. They were a light pink with cartoon kitties on them, just to let you know.

 

He opened the oven and I covered my nose instinctively. The kitchen-if not the dorm, was flooded by the disgusting smell of…cookies?

 

I removed my hand and carefully sniffed the air. Yeah, it smelled like cookies all right.

 

“Hyung, you made cookies?!” I blurted out just when hyung pulled them out, causing him to drop them. Thankfully the tray landed on the oven door (was it a good thing?).

 

Hyung sighed in relief and put the undisturbed tray on top of the oven and closed the door. “Ah, ne Taeminnie.” He grabbed a spatula and lifted the cookies off the rack. “It was either cookies or chi-chuh…” hyung gulped and forced a smile. “Chi…chicken. B-but its okay. I know you…guys don’t want that.” You are so right hyung.

 

From this angle, Onew hyung looked like one of those Food Channel chefs. His cookies smelled good too, chocolate chip! They didn’t look burned...but were odd shapes.

 

No no no Taemin! Don’t be fooled. Just like that one saying, uh, ‘Don’t be a book without a cover’

 

Oh wait no. That’s not right. ‘Don’t read books without a cover’

 

‘Judge every book your encounter?’

 

That just doesn’t sound right. Ugh, whatever. Things don’t always look as they seem!

 

There, way easier than that book mumbo jumbo.

 

“Uh, hyung, I should get going…” I said quickly slipping away from the table. The return of Tae-ja has arrived!

 

“Chamkkanmanyo Taeminnie!” Onew hyung called out to me just as I was opening the door. Should I stay or should I go? My escape was one step away. Just.so.close…!

 

I sighed and retreated back to the kitchen, not bothering to take off my shoes. Taking my time I turned the corner. “Ne hyung…?”

 

Onew hyung was hurriedly shoving his cookies into a brown paper bag. I gulped. It looked like a packed lunch. After putting half the rack into the bag he folded the top and put it in my hands. “My friend taught me how to make cookies so I thought I’d practice,” he told me as he escorted me to the door.

 

Oh, please no. I don’t want to eat this! “B-bu-but hyung! Don’t you think you should save some for everyone else?” I asked in desperation. Who knows what hyung put…what he did…how he made these.

 

Hyung shook his head and opened the door for me. “It’s okay! There’s enough for them right here.” He smiled. “Besides you can share those with your friend downstairs.”

 

I sighed. “…Fine. Well I’m going.” I stepped out just as his words sunk in. My friend downstairs?

 

I’m not seeing any of my friends, I’m just heading to the benches to talk to-oh.

 

“What? Wait hyung! How do you know-“ “Tell me how the cookies are! Bye!” he shut the door in my face, locking it and setting the extra chain lock in place.

 

I banged the door. “Yah! Yah hyung! She’s not even-“ “La la la la la~ I can’t hear you!” hyung answered from the other side. You’reso mature hyung. “La la la la la la, by the way you should stop banging on the door. The neighbours might call the landlord!”

 

 

Ugh, hyung!

 

“Uh, hey.” I sat down on the bench without really looking at her, my eyes on the apartment building.

 

Could hyung see me-us from there? How did he know?

 

“Hello.” She replied making me look at her. Then I noticed the paper bag in my hands. Right.

 

“Um…here.” I slid the bag across the bench to her. How awkward, but I just want to get rid of these possible-mutant-chemical-X-cookies, if they can be called cookies then.

 

She glanced at the bag oddly then lifted her eyes to me. She didn’t look amused. “I don’t drink, Taemin.”

 

My eyes went wide and my mouth dropped open. Did she actually think that was in the bag? Well I kind of don’t blame her. it was a little sketchy.

 

“H-hey! It’s not…I didn’t bring that-“

 

“I don’t do drugs either.” She said, looking disappointed. She looked at me, he eyes spelling out ‘SHAME.’ She thought I would bring, let alone have those things? Its illegal!

 

“I didn’t bring any of that!” I snapped, irritated. “Those are cookies Onew hyung made.”

 

She looked at the bag, unconvinced. “Oh really…?”

 

“Really.”

 

She picked up the bag, peering inside. She dug in and pulled out a misshapen cookie. “They look weird.”

 

“Err, yeah. But hyung told me to share…so they’re yours.” Please, please take them.

 

She looked back and forth between the cookie and me, eyes narrowed. Stop be suspicious, your eyes scare me. After a while she gave in. “Okay. Well that was nice of him.” And she proceeded to take a bite.

 

I stared. I couldn’t help it. Her reaction is what I’m looking for. Will she spit it out? Cough? I hope she won’t choke or anything-oh crap. I’m getting anxious, maybe I shouldn’t have given it to her! Dammit Taemin! Even if you barely know her, this isn’t how to treat a girl. Key hyung would be so angry with me if he found out I gave a girl Onew hyung’s lethal cookies!

 

“You look like you’re having an intense debate going on in your head.” Her voice snapped me to attention. She was chewing on the cookie. “It’s painful to look at.” She mumbled taking another bite.

 

I ignored that, my attention on her eating. “You’re eating them?!”

 

She raised an inquiring eyebrow. “...Yeah?” I blinked and pointed an accusing finger at the cookie. Wasn’t she supposed to explode or turn into a monster? “How can you eat them?”

 

“What? They taste fine despite looking like a five year old slapping them on a tray.” She furrowed her eyebrows her nose scrunching up too. “Better than what I can make.” It was actually kind of cute-but you didn’t hear it from me!

 

She sighed. “I guess you can’t judge a book by its cover.”

 

THAT’S THE QUOTE I WAS TRYING TO USE EARLIER. ASLKFHDGHSDNKVGHWEGKLN.

 

I shook my head. How the in the world did I not remember that?

 

From the corner of my eye I could see her nibbling on a second cookie. If she hasn’t started spitting it out maybe hyung’s cookies weren’t half bad! “Hey, can I have one?”

 

She looked me over. “No.”

 

“What? I gave those to you!” I shouted. She didn’t flinch. “Exactly.” She replied simply.

 

“But there’s like 6 left in there!” and those were big oddly shaped cookies, mind you. “You can’t possibly eat them all!” She shrugged. “I’ll get hungry later.” This…this girl! Is she even a girl? She’s so rude. What girl eats all that in one day anyway!

 

Hmpf. I whipped out my mobile and started a message to Onew hyung.

 

You’re cookies are a hit.

 

I stole a glance at her, eating the cookies. I could smell them from here. The sweet, sweet chocolate chips~

 

I’m beside a glutton. I hope you’re happy. Send.

 

“Here.” She held out a cookie towards me.

 

“W-what?” she glared at me.

 

“Do you want it or not? If not, more for me-“

 

“No! I want!” I took the cookie from her. She shrugged and looked away.

 

Silently, I cheered. I can taste hyungs chocolate chip cookies! Wait. I looked at the cookie closely and gasped. It barely had any chocolate chips! Is it even a COOKIE? It’s just baked cookie dough!

 

“Keke!” oh no she didn’t! I saw a small smile hiding behind the cookie on her lips, her eyes glinting with mischief. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. She gave this to me on purpose! Evil, pure evil I say. I take back calling her cute.

 

I took a bite of the cookie, and to tell you the truth it tasted pretty good even though it lacked choco chips!

 

But…this is a different side of her I haven’t seen. She had a sense of humour, and dare I say has a fun side to her.

 

I smiled. You keep surprising me,  .

 

 


 

heyo sorry I haven’t updated ! this chap is longer so I hope it compensates? ^^; I’ve been busy with family trips so I haven t started writing until today. But I’m working on the next update!

keke now you know the her/your name now ;D

@GimmeSugar: thanks! I thought it would be best to have be told in Taemin’s POV :D I hope you enjoy the update!

@GottaLoveEm: LOL I have no idea! But I wouldn’t mind if it was Jjong staring~ haha. Isn’t Taemin always? 

 

 

*giggles*