GONE

GONE

Inspired by JIN’s Gone, starring EXO’s Xiumin and Kim Yookyung

Darkness, sounds, textures, pain...

Do you know how dark is the darkness? I bet other people did not know enough; whatever would their answer be, I will disagree. People like me know the best. Because I do not know what light is. My Science tutor said that the light have 7 colours, as the rainbows. Are they beautiful?

I am not really good in Science, although I like knowing things. But knowing and seeing is different. I am different. I’m blind.

I heard the tires screeched to a halt. “I’m home”, I sighed at the thought. I started to count, as usual.

“1, 2, 3, 4, and.....5.” At that instant, the car door opened. I clutched to my cardigan and got out. Start counting, again.

I don’t like people hovering around me like I’m a child, a porcelain doll; a burden. They did not say anything though, but I can feel their rough handling. I am a bother to care. So I came up with the counting of step, since as long as I remember that I could count to a few hundreds. Now I can walk around the house unattended. But I still can feel eyes burning right up into me each time.

I walked right into the front door and the maids opened it up for me. “I’m so glad to see you, miss.” I can feel the smile of the familiar warmth of voice; Mrs. Oh. Turning my head slightly to her, I bid her evening and carry on inside. Father is waiting.

Born with one less sense, people said that other senses would be more gifted. I know it is true because right then, I could feel a gentle touch surrounding me; I know it by heart. A new person was looking at me.

_______________________________________________________________________________

“PRAPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!”. The sound of the wood meeting the piano was overwhelming, but I did not falter. Should I falter instead? This might end faster.

“14 years of your life as my daughter is seriously a waste! Still why should I still care? Huh!” The intense atmosphere fade away, as the sound of my father’s steps continue to put more distance between us. It is not we were close at the first place. I breathed.

My father hated me. Of course he did; I am the reason why his beloved wife died. She was his wife, the love of his entire life and I am only his daughter. Plus, it is my fault I’m born blind; I couldn’t be perfect. I couldn’t force myself to be a pianist like him. I couldn’t be perfect because I am not. I’m impaired.

Kneeling, I scanned the carpet with my hands. The candy container toppled over just now.

The new person was staring at me...

When I sat back on the piano bench, I know that it was not my father that sat beside me afterwards. Soon, beautiful melody filled the air. I knew the piece; it was one that I heard for a few days already. I heard from Mrs. Oh that father took a student recently. It was odd because father would the last person to have a mentee under him, but I figured that he is my replacement. Father gave up on me. It hurt, but I’m glad. This boy is gifted.

Soon, the melody stopped. And the boy seemed rushed and for a quick second, I cannot feel him near me anymore. A constricted feeling touched me, but I can’t stop smiling. Yes, I was smiling.

He introduced himself to me as Kim Minseok. I really liked his voice when he was telling me all the random things he thought I should know about him. But he did not ask about me, and I am glad for that. He told me that he came to the house on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday to practice with my dad. I smiled along his stories.

I would be waiting for the days he comes over.

_________________________________________________________________________________

“The coast is clear. Let’s go, let’s go!” I stayed put. I am still confused of where he is taking me. I cannot count the steps because he was too rushed.

“Aish, I forgot. Come.” And I felt a warm hand encircling mine at that instant, pulling me with him.

As we settled down on the bench, I know where he brought me. We were sitting under the gazebo at our backyard. I heard the birds chirping, felt the gentle wind caressed my cheeks and the smell of freshly cut grass.

I could tell that he is staring again; my hands still in his. And slowly, I brought my hands to his face.

I giggled inside. His face was smooth; velvety under my fingertips. His eyes, nose and mouth was perfect. I took my time and finally, I pinched his cheeks. They were like steamed buns for me. He hissed.

“Auuuwwwww~why do people always does that? My cheeks hurt, you know?” I could feel his pout. Chuckled, I brought my hands back to his cheeks and gently caressed them. Once I felt his smile, I pinched them again.

And we laughed.

I wished we could still be laughing then. But then he guided my hands lower, on his chest. His heart.

That was weird. I knew enough to know that his heart is not good. Not figuratively, but literally. It was beating the wrong may. I heard him groaned a bit and took out his bottle. He said it was candy, but I knew it’s not. The sound of the bottle was too depressing for me to hear. I may not see, but I know.

Suddenly, he was ripped away from me. His bottle dropped and in a second, silence and coldness engulfed me instead, replacing his warmth. I knew it was because of father.

In my hands, was Minseok’s bottle.

Before, I did not really pay any attention to the exchange of night and day, the months or the seasons. But right then, I am counting the days Minseok would come over.

Now I know the feeling of missing someone. It was not quite the same with longing like I had for a mother. It was more ..... endearing. I missed his laughed, his voice, his stories. I miss Minseok.

That night was the 7th week I started missing Minseok. I knew that if he gonna come, he would be during the day, but I was still hoping. And he did come.

I heard the front door creaked open. I stood up in an instant. He played the piano again, the song when we first met.

“GAAAAAAAAAANNNNGNGNGGGGGG.” The song stopped at a painful note. I did not realised tears running down my cheeks.

“Please, play for me.”

“Please, play for me.”

“Please, play for me.”

“Please, play for me.” I chanted in my head and more tears came rolling down. I stood there, waiting for him.

And then the familiar sound again treated my ears again.

I smiled.

-THE END-

 

HUHUHUHU....i shouldn't be doing this right now. I still have 2 papers of exam to go. But I can't help myself... :'(

Sorry for the grammar mistakes and if this is not up to your expectations. Enjoy! :)