Attentive

Ever After

 

 

“Nana, are you okay?” Kris softly asked Nana as she looked so pale when she’s coming out from the toilet. He walked to come to her and helped her to reach their bed. His wife let out a sigh once her back touched the matrass, closing her eyes as she tightly holding on her husband’s hand.

“Let me rest for a while” she whispered, too tired to speak loudly.

Kris let out a deep breath. He caressed her cheek and kept checking on her condition. Her body temperature was normal and she didn’t show a sign of being sweaty. Guess she’s just tired. 

Every morning, Kris got used to see this view but at some point, she looked paler compared to the other day, making him feeling all blue. His wife got pregnant; they just knew it when she’s on her fifth week and they couldn’t be happier than this. But now that she’s on her ninth week, the pregnancy symptoms started to show and Kris couldn’t stop feeling worried.

They’re living in Hong Kong, just the two of them, and this was her first time having a baby. Kris couldn’t see her struggling like this all alone, but he has works to do as well as her, so he couldn’t stay for such a long time at home to watch on her. But the past four weeks after her pregnancy, he started to experience her drastic changes though.

Nana would always only have tangerine scent around the house, because other scents made her feeling nausea and if she’s feeling like that, she should be coming to the toilet as soon as possible to throw up. And when she’s throwing up badly like that, she would be a cranky woman he ever knew. She would be more sensitive towards everything he said, they even almost got into fight last week just because Kris felt kind of tired and didn’t want to buy her the burger she’s been craving for. He offered her to do delivery order but she didn’t want it. She wanted to go to the place and because of his rejection, she cried like he’s been doing such a violent action towards her. Thank God, the next day she realized that she’s being like a crazy woman and asked for his apology. He understood her, of course, but at some points, her crave and her swing mood made him crazy also.

“Baby, do you feel like eating something? You only had dumpling last night…” Kris asked Nana as he caressed her side, kissing her cheek just to make her feeling better.

She shook her head, still closing her eyes.

“Do you want to sleep now?”

“I have works to do…” she sighed, touching her stomach. Kris followed to place his hand above hers, continued kissing her cheek. She smiled upon his action.

“Let me just call the office, I’ll take a day off. And you are going to have a rest also” he said, about to move to get his phone but Nana held him.

“Kris…” she called him, looking at her dearly husband. “Honey, go for work. I’m sorry I haven’t prepared your clothes and your breakfast as well, but I’ll try tomorrow… And I-“

Kris kissed her cheek and caressed it. “You’re alone here and I don’t want to leave you by yourself, not in this condition. I can’t leave you while you’re looking like this…”

“I’ll be fine. It’s usually like this, Kris. Let me sleep for a while before I get ready. Take a bath, please. You probably get late for work today…” she assured him.

Kris looked at her, again in this condition, he has to leave her. He cursed himself for not having a lot of time for her. How could he let her be weak like this?

“Can’t I just stay with you, hmm?” he buried his face on her neck, tickled her. She let out a laugh, a small sign that made him feeling a little better, at least she’s not all that sulky or worst, feeling tortured.

“You have to work, Kris. Please?” she pleaded to him as she looked at him.

“Ten more minutes, let me stay with you” he decided as he spooned her from the back, kissing her neck.

“Ok, ten more minutes. Promised me you’ll work after this, ok?” Nana weakly said. To be honest, being hug like this felt so good and comfortable, but no, this is not the right time to feel all comfy and be lazy on the bed.

“Hugging you like this felt better compared to going to work, Baby…” Kris whispered on her ear.

“Nice try” Nana let out a chuckle, responding his words.

“Yes, Ma’am. I’ll go for work. Now close your eyes…”

Kris pecked her neck again, before he closed his eyes to join her enjoying her morning rest. He really wished he could make ten minutes prolonged into ten hours…

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------   

 

“Kris…”

“Hmm”

“When did I start to like tangerine scent?”

Kris looked at his wife who was arranging flowers at the pantry. He’s been having his morning coffee this Sunday while checking the news on his iPad. Nana looked better today, with her hair made into soft bun and she comfortable walked around the house using her pink summer dress with no sandals. She reasoned that she felt comfortable as she touched the parquetted floor.

“I think it’s since you threw up badly the day we knew about your pregnancy?” Kris answered.

“Funny. I found that tangerine scent annoying and now, lavender is the new item I want to smell…” she said as she put more lavender stem on the vase.

“Do you need my help to remove all the tangerine scent?” he offered to help her.

“I already done it this morning”

“Are you feeling okay?” he asked her, sipping his coffee while watching her figure. From the back she seemed like she always looked in front of his eyes, tall and slim, but on the front, her bump started to appear and for Kris, it’s such a beautiful moment to see her having her baby bump. It’s pretty, and she looked heavenly gorgeous with her pregnancy glow.

Nana smiled and nodded as she listened to her husband’s words. She tried her best to not having a bad mood. She’s been working on the flower vase since yesterday; it helped her lot to forget about the mood swing. Doing flower arrangement, she forgot about whatever annoys her and she enjoyed the calm feeling she got from the activity.

“Honey, what is that song that went hmmmmmm hmmmm hmmmm?” Nana asked Kris, humming a part of a song.

“What song?”

“The one we danced earlier on the wedding, Vic’s wedding… I love that song a lot” Nana looked away from the vase, trying to remember. “We danced it when Vic’s having her first dance with her husband…”

“Is it this one?” Kris said as he placed his phone next to the vase and stood behind Nana.

Quando, Quando, Quando by Michael Buble played around the room and Nana immediately smiled to herself. It’s the song. When she first heard it on Victoria’s wedding, she fell for the nice tune; but when she discovered the song’s meaning, she feel deeper with this song. It made her remembered the moment Kris asked her to be married to him.

Kris placed his hand around her stomach, hugging his wife from behind. He felt the baby bump as well as Nana’s scent, right when he placed his chin to her shoulder. He kissed her shoulder that’s covered with the dress materials, tightening his hug.

Nana let out a chuckle as she placed her palms above his and slowly, Kris made her moved.

“Are we dancing here?” she asked him, looking at their intertwined fingers. His large palms and long fingers always gave her a firm feeling whenever she touched it. It was like he’s reassuring her that with him, everything will be okay. And she does believe it. Never had she felt this way towards a man. And this guy behind her, her lovely husband, proven to be the right one for her and she felt lucky to have him.

“You can say so” Kris said as he moved swiftly around her.

Nana attempted to look to her side, finding Kris enjoying his stay on her shoulder.

“What is it?” she asked him, placed her right hand around his right cheeks and caressed it slowly.

“I love you” he said as he smiled at her, making Nana raised an eyebrow.

“Why so sudden?”

Kris shrugged his shoulder. “I don’t know, Baby. I felt like… I’m so thankful to have you in my life. Whatever we’ve passed and whatever going to happen in our life, I promise you, I’ll always by your side…” he added, rubbing her stomach carefully.

Nana suddenly felt her eyes teary and she looked at him with the most pleading expression ever, making Kris stopped caressing her stomach and took a step back to see her.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” he asked in worry.

“Nothing” she shook her head. “I felt touched, by your words… Kris… Have you ever thought that I have the same opinion about you?”

“Really?”

“I’ve just thought that… I’m so lucky to have you as my husband. You’re the best” she said, kissed his cheek while caressing it.

“So guess that we’re lucky to stay with each other?”

Both of them chuckled and turned her around, Kris placed his left hand on her waist and with his free hand, took her back so they’re facing each other.

“You’re feeling okay today?”

“This is your second time asking me this, Kris…”

“I’m worried about you, about our baby… Be well, Darling. I can’t live without you” he hugged her, making Nana bumped into his chest.

“Kris, the baby…” she reminded him to not hugging her too tight.

“Should I just hug you like earlier?” he suggested. Before Nana could answer, he turned her around and hugged her from behind again.

This time, when Nana turned her face to the side, her lips quickly met with him and before she could process anything, she let out a sigh when Kris softly kissed her. She always loves every time Kris kissed her. It’s always sweet, not too passionate but meaningful for her. Nana smiled when he kissed her, and knowing her enjoying his kiss, Kris strived for more. He started to bit her lower lip before released it slowly, only to kiss her deeper. He could do something more, but not until Nana placed her hand on his shoulder.

“Anything wrong?” he worriedly looking at her.

“Morning call” Nana just said that and she left him hanging there, with her hand covering , signing that she’s going to throw up anytime soon.

Kris just sighed but then smiled as he wiped his lips. He still could taste her pretty well.

“Kris….” She called him from the toilet.

“Yes, Baby. I’m coming…”

Guess the baby wouldn’t let her mommy be available for daddy for a while…

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

 

Hi... Just a short update.

Ok, I want this scene to be put for my other story, Perfect Timing, but I know, this part won't relate well with the story line there.. So I put it here. This is during the time when Nana's pregnant with Cathy inside. I miss this family a lot though... 

See you again! :)