Lee Sojung

BLIND
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

          My name is Lee Sojung. 24 years old, young, and blind. I lost my vision in a fatal car accident, that also took two lives of my best buddies. I still remembered how our car turned 360 degree, the shrilling screams of us by the strong impact, and the silence that enveloped the chilly night after the car crashing into a protective wall in the vicinity of the Singal Junction on Yeongdong Expressway. It was saddening, I grieved for almost a year, and the lives lost of my best friend added up on the sadness and depression that I already felt at my eyes incapability. 

 

          Why though, out of all five senses, I would loss my sight? Why not my limbs, instead? Out of all body parts why must it had been my eyes that injured the most? I'd so many questions that were left unanswered. 

 

          I was only twenty when the tragic incident happened. I hadn't had the opportunity to see the entire world yet. But my vision had been taken away in total without any warning. It affected my feelings a lot, but I just didn't voice it out. I always kept to myself because no one would understand the pain. They never would. So I refrain myself from talking at all. No word came out of my mouth for months. I started creating my own world that only inhabited by me. 

 

          How would you react when one day, you were to wake up on a hospital bed, to see nothing but the color black around you, with the news that you lost your best friends? I almost lost my sanity. 

 

          In just one, fateful night, I lost everything; my roommates, my sisters, my best friends, and my eyesight. I lost my career as a graphic designer too. Of course I would. I felt ty for not being able to design again. 

 

          And then, I started questioning why God hadn't took my life along. It would be great and I would've been happier. 

 

          The people around me weren't much of help either. Whenever they met me, that topic about them always came out, and the sympathetic tone they used when they talked was really irritating. I missed my friends too, more than they thought. So if only they could shut their mouth from talking about them when I was trying very hard to live with the ugly reality would be really nice. And they could save their sympathy for anyone else because honestly they were useless because it won't change anything. That same, cliché phrase of “I understand how it feels…” always floating on their lips was clearly just empty words because no matter what they actually didn't, unless they lost the love of their lives, and experiencing vision loss like I did. 

 

          And I found the right answer of my own question. Someone up there must really wanted to see my life crumpled badly that he let me live so I could suffer. 

 

          It took me 2 years – 2 years of stressful psychology sessions when I decided to just end it with antidepressant that I took more than needed. You don’t know how it feels to wake up in the morning with eyes widely opened but what you see is the same, boring color, black. And that you wer

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter