Try Harder

Try Harder

When Kris walked into his house he could immediately feel the tension thick in the air, heavy with sadness and exasperation, and it was all his fault. He gently toed off his work shoes and set his briefcase down on a side table in the living room as he made his way into the kitchen, where he could hear Suho cooking. He peered around the entryway to the kitchen and watched as Suho chopped up some vegetables on the kitchen island and continued to stare at him as he deposited the vegetables into a pot on the stove. When he turned around after doing that he spotted Kris watching him and scowled.

“Babe...”

“No.” Suho turned back to the stove and ignored Kris when he started walking closer to him.

“Babe I’m sorry.” Kris walked up to Suho’s left side and leaned on the counter near him trying to get Suho to look at him.

“I’m not the one you should be saying sorry to. It’s Sehun. You did him wrong, not me.” Suho flicked an irritated look up at Kris.

“I was gonna go. I swear I was. But then I got caught up in the middle of a project and by the time I remembered it was already too late.” Suho rolled his eyes and scoffed.

“So apparently our son isn’t important enough for you to remember?” Suho vigorously stirred the pot in anger.

“That’s not it.”

“Then what is it?” This time Suho stopped everything and whirled around to face Kris straight on with his hands on his hips. “Why can’t you care enough to attend JUST ONE of your son’s basketball games? THIS WAS HIS LAST ONE. YOU PROMISED HIM YOU WOULD GO, BUT YOU DIDN’T. HE ONLY STARTED PLAYING BASBETBALL BECAUSE YOU USED TO PLAY AND HE WANTED TO IMPRESS YOU. NOW LOOK WHAT YOU’VE DONE. HE’S BEEN SITTING IN HIS ROOM CRYING FOR THE PAST THREE HOURS AND I CAN’T GET HIM TO CHEER UP. SO YOU BETTER DO SOMETHING ABOUT THAT MISTER.” As Suho spoke he continuously poked Kris’ chest and his voice rose higher in pitch.

Kris hung his head in shame. He screwed up big time.  “I’ll make it up to you and him. I promise. I will make things right. And I know how much you have had to cover for me and I’m sorry. I’ll try harder.”

“Alright, just go talk to him okay? He’s really not doing well right now.” Suho huffed and then let Kris wrap his arms around him in a hug.

“I love you.” Suho smiled and kissed Kris’ cheek in response before exiting his embrace and shoving him towards their son’s room.

“Dinner will be ready in about 15 minutes. Try to fix everything by then.” Kris nodded and then went to go talk to Sehun.

 

In the past, before they had adopted Sehun, Kris was the one most hesitant in wanting to raise a child. It had taken years and a lot of reassuring from Suho for Kris to finally warm up to the idea of parenthood.  But once Sehun came into his life, his previous reserve vanished and he was even ashamed of himself for thinking that raising a child would be a bad idea.

Sehun was small for his age when they got him at a mere 2 years old. He still couldn’t walk and he definitely couldn’t talk, but his eyes shined so brightly at him that Kris couldn’t help but fall deeply in love with his new son.

When they took him home and started to raise him Kris was surprised to find that Sehun was way different than the horror stories that his colleagues’ had told him about their own kids. They had nothing but wonderful experiences with their son and they couldn’t have been happier. Before, Kris had thought that their new baby would put a strain on their relationship, but bringing Sehun into their life only strengthened it.

Sehun was a smart and kind kid. He was popular with the other children at school and he was always interested in dancing. He enjoyed it so much that they paid for him to take special dance lessons. That’s why Kris and Suho were completely shocked when Sehun started middle school and chose to join the basketball team over the dance team. They had asked Sehun about his decision and with an adoring expression he expressed that he had seen Kris’ old pictures of him playing basketball and wanted to try something that his dad used to enjoy. Kris was stunned and touched by his son’s interest in his past enjoyments and promised to attend all of Sehun’s games. Sehun was positively radiant at his promise, but unfortunately Kris got a promotion at his job at the same time and thus forced him into his current predicament of having missed all of son’s basketball games. He felt awful that he had not only broken his promise, but he had disappointed Sehun too.

When he reached Sehun’s room he held his ear up to the closed door and listened for any sounds coming from within. To his dismay, Kris could hear the sniffles that his son was making and his heart sank deep into his stomach for he knew he was the cause of his son’s current bout of sadness. With a heavy sigh he lightly rapped his knuckles onto the door and then turned the doorknob to let himself in.

Sehun was sitting on the edge of his bed hugging his knees to his chest and resting his head on them. His back was facing the door and Kris shuddered to think about the tears he might see once he saw his son’s face.  He lightly sat down on the bed next to Sehun and put his hand on his shoulder.

“Sehun. I’m so sorry.”

“Sorry for what?” Sehun sniffed and harshly yanked his arm out of Kris’ grasp.

“For a lot of things. For breaking my promise to you. For not being there for you at your games cheering you on. For making you disappointed in me. For making you unhappy. I am sorry for it all.”

Sehun then looked up at his dad with a tear stained face and frowned at Kris.

“You’re wrong.” Kris was confused and waited for Sehun to further explain.

“You didn’t disappoint me. You could never disappoint me.” Kris smiled and brought his hands up to Sehun’s face and wiped his tears away.

“But I didn’t go to any of your games like I said I would. I’m a bad dad.”

“You’re wrong again. You are not a bad dad. You’re a great dad. You just make bad decisions sometimes.” Kris laughed at that and hugged his son to his chest.

“Thanks son. Could you ever forgive this great dad who makes stupid decisions?”

Sehun wrapped his small arms tightly around Kris’ waist and nodded into his chest.

“Of course I can.”

“I love you Sehun.”

“I love you too dad.”

The two separated and Sehun grabbed Kris’ hand.

“Actually it’s probably a good thing that you never came to my games.”

Kris’ eyebrows furrowed in confusion. “Why?”

“Because I at basketball and I would have been embarrassed if you had seen me play.”

Kris couldn’t help the loud bark of laughter that left his mouth.

“Would you be upset if I quit and join the dance team instead?”

Kris kissed his son on the forehead and gently rubbed his back. “I would definitely not be upset. If you don’t like basketball and would rather do dance instead, then go ahead.”

A bright smile graced Sehun’s face and Kris’s heart soared at the sight of it.

“And this time I guarantee I’ll be there to see you perform. Now lets go to the kitchen and eat. I think daddy made your favorite.”

“Alright.” Sehun stood up and grabbed onto Kris’ hand and he followed his son out to the kitchen. Suho had already set up the table and was patiently sitting down at the head of the table already waiting for them. Sehun sat to the right of him and Kris to the left. When Suho saw Sehun’s state of content he turned to Kris and whispered into his ear.

“So everything’s all good now?”

“Yeah, it’s all good now.” Kris took Suho’s hand under the table and gently squeezed it. Suho smiled in response.

“So Sehun why don’t you tell daddy about your plans on joining the dance team.”

Suho gasped and turned to Sehun who smiled sheepishly.

“Are you sure Sehun?”

“Yeah. I don’t think I like basketball all that much and I like my dance lessons so I thought it would be better for me to join the dance team instead.”

“That sounds wonderful sweetheart.”

When they started to eat Kris made sure to stop and observe his husband and son. Their smiles and laughter during dinner made him happy and he was so grateful to have his family. He vowed to try and not disappoint them again as he had that day. He would try to be a better husband and father and this time he would do everything in his power to make sure he attended Sehun's future dance performances. He would try harder from now on.

A/N:

Decided to stick with the stage names on this one cause I was too lazy to change it. I literally started this over 2 months ago and it was just sitting in my folder incomplete and I just wanted to get it out so I force finished it. As always this fic is unbeta'd so please forgive my bad writing.