Part 5: Epilogue (Beijing, Two Years Later)

Cinders and Ashes

 

“Wow, this is beautiful.”  Kris comments, looking at a painting of what looks like the Las Vegas desert.  The focus of the painting, however, is a white sports car that is making its way across the desert.

“All of the paintings are, really.”  Chanyeol replies, looking around them.  They are currently on vacation in Beijing because Henry, a friend of Kris, phoned them a few days ago to tell them about this really awesome artist who is hosting a viewing of his works in a gallery not far from their hotel.  Kim Jonghyun, the name of the artist, is apparently a good friend of Henry whom he met in art school.

“Do you like it?”  Kris asks.

“Yeah, I really like it.”  Chanyeol replies, staring at the car.  How come it looks so familiar?

“I was thinking that it will look great in our room, don’t you think?”  Kris asks, and Chanyeol smiles at him in return.

“Yes, it will.”  Chanyeol replies, and then looks back to the painting.  “I just wonder what car that is, though.  It looks very familiar.”

“It’s a 1979 Trans Am Bandit.”  A voice behind them says, and they both turn around to see who it is.  Chanyeol gasps, suddenly realizing who it is.  Despite the short haircut, dirt-free face, tux, and black leather shoes, Chanyeol just knows who this man is.  Minho.

“My friend, Jinki, owns one.  It’s actually the car featured in that painting.”  The man continues.  “I’m Choi Minho, by the way, a friend of the Kims.”  He says, taking out a hand.  Chanyeol immediately takes it, a smile on his face to which Minho answers with a knowing smile of his own.

Kris then shakes Minho’s hand.  “Hello, Mr. Choi.  Actually, we were thinking of buying the painting.”

“That’s great!”  Minho says, clapping his hands.  “Come on, let me take you to the man himself.”  He says and beckons the two.

They walk quietly for some time until they reach a group of four men in front of a painting.  The painting is set in the same desert, this time focusing on four men and a tall girl wearing brightly colored leather jackets.  Their backs are facing the viewer, keeping their identities a secret.  They are seemingly walking off into the distance, while the sky showcases a rising sun.

“That one’s beautiful too.”  Kris says.

“It’s called SHINee World.  It’s actually the hardest one to paint, with the intricate details and all, and the most expensive of all the paintings.”  Minho replies before calling out to the men looking at the painting.

“Gentlemen, someone wants to buy Destination.”  He says and the four men turn around to look at them.  Once again, Chanyeol gasps once he realizes who they are.  Albeit the formal clothes, clean faces, and normal hair, Chanyeol ends up smiling because he just knows that this is it—this is the meeting he’s been waiting for a long time now.

The man, who when Chanyeol last saw him gave him a precious gift, steps forward and smiles at them.  Behind him, Chanyeol can see the others smiling at them too.  The man stops in front of them, his smile seemingly brighter.

“You look better than last time.”  He comments.

“Thanks.  You guys too, you all look better.”  Chanyeol replies, looking at all of them.

“You know them?”  Kris asks Chanyeol.

“Yeah, from something that happened a few years back.”  Chanyeol replies.  “I just didn’t realize that it was you.  When Henry said your name, I thought it was someone else.”  Chanyeol then says, now addressing the man.

“It’s alright.”  The man says.  “It’s been a long time, Park Chanyeol.  It’s nice to see you again.”

“Yeah, same here.”  Chanyeol replies.  “Kris, this is Kim Jonghyun.  Those are Kibum, Jinki, and Kyuhyun.  Choi Minho already introduced himself.”  He then says to Kris.

“Wow.  You know him too?”  Kris says, surprised.

“Yeah, I was just too surprised that I didn’t know what to do.  I mean, how long has it been?”  Chanyeol asks.

“Two years.”  Minho replies, nodding.

“Wow.  That’s quite long.”  Kris replies.  “Well, it’s nice meeting all of you.”  He then says with a sincere smile.

“Same here.”  Jonghyun says, smiling at Kris.  “Now come on, let’s talk about that painting you wanted over coffee, shall we?”  He asks and the others agree.

And later, when they’ve already bought the painting and everyone’s laughing and sharing the funniest stories over coffee, Jonghyun, who is sitting between Chanyeol and Kibum, puts a hand on Chanyeol’s shoulder and says, “See?  I told you everything’s going to be okay.”

“Yeah,” Chanyeol replies while looking at the letters of his name from a bracelet from the future, “everything’s okay.”