Chapter 2 - Night in Spain

Simply Undiscovered
"You should hang out with us! We could all go round together" Chansung pointed out. 
 
"How do we know you're any different from those other guys?"
 
"Come on we are in Spain! There are Spanish chicas everywhere, why go for Koreans? We have them back home!" 
 
"Fair enough.."
 
"You guys go on ahead, I am going to go look for some inspiration. You know? The whole project?"
 
"Always work first isn't it Khun? It's the first night!"
 
"Well if I get the work out of the way I will have more time to spend with you lot" 
 
"True enough"
 
"I'm going to head back to the apartment"
 
"You too Tiffany?"
 
Sighing in defeat, the group split up leaving Nichkhun and Tiffany alone. It was a little strange being alone with a stranger however, somehow, at the same time, it was comforting. Just having another Korean, someone from the same country. It felt more like home. 
 
"I guess I will walk you back"
 
"It's okay"
 
"No, you don't want more guys coming along right?"
 
"Fair point"
 
Making their way back in the opposite direction their friends had gone, they began to talk, in turn, learning about one another. During their conversation, Nichkhun felt as if he didn't have her full attention. Looking at her eyes, he followed the direction she was looking. 
 
"Do you want one?"
 
"No it's-"
 
Glancing down at the Spanish pocket dictionary he held in his hand, he nodded as if he had found his answer. 
 
"Excuse me sir? Uno por favor"
 
Tiffany gazed in amazement at the man who had just sold the peculiar object to Nichkhun. Taking one in his hands, the vendor twisted it in his palms and pushed upwards as the object began to light up twirling. By the time it began falling again, the speed reduced and the vendor simply put his palm out to catch it as if he had done it a million times in fact, he probably had.
 
"Here"
 
Handing her one for herself, Nichkhun grinned. 
 
"Thank you"
 
"They remind me of maple seeds.." He murmured. 
 
"Maple seeds?" 
 
Tiffany pondered trying to think about what maple seeds look like. 
 
"I always thought maple seeds looked like helicopters.. When they fall from the trees, they twirl like helicopter propellors."
 
"Oh those helicopter thingys!!"
 
"Yeah those! This is quite similar to that isn't it? Like an extra large, luminous maple seed"
 
Amusement filled his eyes as he gazed at the girl trying desperately but failing to propel the gizmo into the sky. 
 
"Can I try?"
 
With ease, he pushed his right palm forward and his hands upwards, loosening his grip as the object began to light up and climb higher and higher. 
 
"Show off.." she murmured. 
 
Chuckling as he caught it, he placed it in her hands for her to try again. As she failed once again, he decided to give her some pointers. Taking her hands in his, he placed one of her hands onto the other with the propellor in between. Pulling one of her palms towards him, he used the same motion and they watched as the object flew up into the sky, lighting up in a sapphire blue. 
 
Finally realising, he released her hands. 
 
"Sorry.."
 
After an awkward moment, they both laughed. Her smile had unknowingly brought a smile to his own face. 
 
"Let's get some ice cream"
 
Slowing his pace to match hers, he lead her towards a crowded store with "ITALIANO GELATO" in big bold font on a sign. His strides had become much smaller to fit with hers. When they entered, he had tried to find English cognates so he could order the right flavour. Tiffany had ordered the strawberry flavoured ice cream. Or at least, that's what he thought it was. Her reason had been simple. Because it was pink. Nichkhun had ordered the green tea flavoured ice cream. It came as no surprise to him that it tasted delicious. 
 
When he felt a cold trickle on his fingers, he began to panic. Resulting from the hot, Spanish climate, their ice creams wasted no time in melting. He tried his best to eat as fast as he could. It was simply refreshing to eat something cold on the boiling temperatures of Barcelona. As they ate, they continued to make their way down the long path back to the city centre, dodging people all the way. Despite the time being nearly 11pm, the roads were still hustling and bustling. In Spain, it was normal to sleep at about 2am because of the hot weather during the day. It was part of their culture. 
 
When he had finished his ice cream, he was met with a chuckle. Tiffany began to wipe away at the mess he had made around his mouth. When he felt her skin touch his face, a small but noticeable tingle went up his spine. It wasn't a surprise that she'd had to clean him up. He had been so focused on eating quickly he completely forgot how messy ice cream could be. He was a child on the inside. 
 
When he found Tiffany no longer by his side, he began to panic. His eyes flickered around the crowds of people walking to and fro but there was no sign of Tiffany. That was until a familiar bag peered out from a souvenirs stall. As his heart began to ease, he made his way back towards the stall to find Tiffany staring at some Barcelona key rings. It was only proper for Nichkhun to buy her one and he bought one for himself also. Although his work was following him to Spain, he still wanted to create some happy, gleeful memories and a key ring would be a good reminder. 
 
When they finally reached the end of the path, they reached a large intersection. Tiffany wasn't so careful crossing the road and in the end, Nichkhun had needed to hold her hand and pull her through. He couldn't tell her friends or even his own that he had let her get ran over. Besides the hospital fees would be skyrocketing here, abroad. Not that that was why he was so worried..... When they reached pavement again, they saw three maybe four, elegant water fountains dotted around. The roads circled the area. Walking through, they stopped to sit down at a fountain.
 
"Let's take a picture, for memories sake" 
 
Holding out his phone, he took a selfie with Tiffany. He was quite skilled with those "selcas" after all, when he had last seen his sister, she had given him pointers and lessons. When he looked back at the multiple pictures they took, he smiled, showing her too. 
 
"Can you send them to me?"
 
As they sat, exchanging numbers and social media accounts, they had come to realise how much times they had wasted. 
 
"Where is your apartment? We should head back"
 
"That way"
 
He made sure they made it across the road carefully before letting her take the lead. She lead him down a large, busy road before coming to a stop. Nichkhun noticed something familiar about this road and when he looked up, he realised it was the exact same place where he and his friends were staying in. 
 
"What a coincidink.." He murmured
 
"Here's fine" she smiled but he persisted. He insisted that he should take her up to the apartment first. His stomach was rolling around as they made their way up. 
 
Same floor.....
 
When she came to a sudden stop in front of him, he bumped into her. Looking up, he no longer seemed surprised. 
 
Right next door...
 
"Thanks for sending me back and showing me a good time on the way. You should probably get back now, it's late"
 
"Actually.."
 
Lifting a finger, he pointed at the door to the left. 
 
"That's our apartment.."
 
He gazed with amusement as her eyebrows began to raise. 
 
"Really!?"
 
He nodded.