Stepping Up the Game

More Than Just a Friend.

 

 

“Chae, a big bird told me somebody confessed to you yesterday. Want to tell dad about it?” Mr. Park adjusted his eyeglasses while gluing his sight on the recent newspaper and took a sip of his coffee.

 

 

Mr. Park is known to be overprotective of his only girl because Chaeyeon is an only child and it was intended that way even before she was out of her mother’s womb. Mr. and Mrs. Park decided to only have a child because they love Chaeyeon so much that they can’t even imagine how it would be if they had another kid and attention will be divided. They simply wanted to focus on her. She is their world.

“And by ‘big bird’ you mean Chanyeol? I just helped Yoseob with his confession letter because it was a Bloody Hell.” Chaeyeon continued to fork her scrambled eggs.

“Bloody Hell?” Mr. Park stifled a giggle

“Wrong grammar. Dangling modifiers. Verb confusion. Misspellings. That kind of Bloody Hell. I’d give him and Big Fat F if I were his teacher.”

Of course the couple was happy with their daughter’s incomparable wit but deep down inside they feel sorry towards Chaeyeon. It was because of them that she fancies ugly fashion. They didn’t want people to notice their daughter. They don’t want boys near her because they are afraid that she will be taken away from them. It sounds selfish but now that she’s 19, they realized how much she almost everything in her teenage life because of them.

Chaeyeon never had girly clothes. And her parents wonder if she ever wanted to dress up. Chaeyeon had some friends in school. But her parents wonder why she rarely goes out with them. Chaeyeon focuses on her academics and play tennis from time to time. But her parents wanted to know if she wants to take a break first and slack off. Chaeyeon never really asked them for anything, not a branded things or even a cheap bag. And her parents wonder if when she would ask them for something because they’d give it undoubtedly.

Amidst the stable family that she came from, she was never a spoiled brat.

Amidst the hideous outfit she wears, she was still able to gain friends because of her humor. And her parents will always be happy and proud because of that.

But for the mean time, they wonder if she doesn’t feel lonely. Chanyeol had Yura as a sister. Chaeyeon had none. The siblings would visit them but because of the demands of school, they seldom spend dinner and time with them.

Looking at their daughter, they truly wonder if she feels lonely. Because if ever she is, then they have to let go Chaeyeon and let her wear the proper clothes a female Senior Student would wear and let somebody find their happiness in their daughter.

“Yoseob? How does he look like honey?” Mrs. Park asked as she poured another coffee in her husband’s cup. She’s interested now that it’s the first time that they’ll be talking about boys over the table. She couldn’t help to think how much of a late bloomer her daughter is.

“He looks like a monkey. Dad is more handsome than him.”

Mr. Park hollered in laughter, feeling his self-esteem boosted up since he is still his daughter’s number 1.

“Honey, how’s Luhan by the way?” Mrs. Park asked.

Chaeyeon stiffened at his name.

“He’s f—“

DINGDONG

“I’ll get it.” Mr. Park was still chuckling lightly as he went up to open the door.

“Good Morning Sir.”

“Good Morning to you too young lad, but…who are you?”

“Luhaaan!” Mrs. Park came to the door as soon as he heard Luhan’s honey-sweet voice.

Mr. Park never met Luhan. He was always at work when Luhan visited their house so you couldn’t really blame the old man if he had his right eyebrow arched and scrutinized the boy from his head to toe.

“Hello Mrs. Park.” He smiled, he then turned to the father  “I’m Luhan, sir. Chaeyeon’s…friend” God knows how difficult it is for him to even swallow his own spit. Man, Chaeyeon’s old man had this menacing aura that even climbing the Great Wall of China in barefoot won’t impress him.

The couple saw a bouquet of flowers hidden at Luhan’s back and Mr. Park eyes stabbed him and asked him for an answer.

“Uh..uhh, it’s for you Sir!” Luhan held out the flowers in front of Mr. Park and realized how wrong the context was,“I-I mean, for you Mrs. Park!” Damn I stuttered obviously.

Mrs. Park smiled knowingly, “Are you sure it’s for me? I can call Chae—“

“NO! Uh… I mean, Yes, it’s actually for her.. Uh.. No, it’s actually for you Mrs. Park. It’s been a long time since I paid you a visit.” Luhan said with a crooked forced smile.

Visit…?” Mr. Park hissed under his breath as he eyed suspiciously the flowers that Mrs. Park was on the process of receiving from Luhan. He turned his attention to the young lad and Luhan was never so sure in his life that Thanatos really does exist.

“Will that be all?” Mr. Park asked and Luhan nodded. Feeling the chills running down on his spine.

Mrs. Park wanted to invite Luhan in for breakfast but knowing how her husband turned into a stern man and how much of a scared puppy Luhan was she decided to let it off and let Mr. Park cool off for the mean time. It’s not like everyday that some boy will rang the door bell and bring flowers to one of the women that Mr. Park loves.

Mr. Park was about to close the door in front of Luhan. “Sir, actually I…” Luhan started, still visibly trembling under the strong gaze of the father of the girl he wanted to pursue. “Please excuse my rudeness, but if I may…C-can I court your daughter?” Luhan was now looking straight to the eyes of the man of the house.

Mrs. Park gasped behind her husband.

“M-may I walk her to school? Everyday? May I walk her home too? Everyday? C-can I see her everyday? Even on weekends too?..”

“Mom! Have you seen my—..Luhan…? What are you doing here?”

The usually confident Luhan wasn’t able to answer as he was still recovering from the mini heart-attack induced by the existence of Mr. Park alone. All he did was to open his mouth with a couple of incoherent words that can’t even form a legit sentence. Mrs. Park chuckled inwardly.

“He’s going to take you to school Chae. Hurry up or you’ll be late.” Mr. Park answered her daughter.

Luhan couldn’t forget how Mr. Park told him, “We’ll talk about this next time.” But he also couldn’t forget the natural blush that Chaeyeon had when she walked out of their house and she  saw him waiting at the gate. He couldn’t forget how his heart would race a bit when they were walking side by side to school.

No words were spoken, no sounds were made. It’s just Luhan and Chaeyeon.

At school, guys started to back off the moment they saw Luhan entering the school grounds with Chaeyeon. Though there were no physical contact between them, Luhan’s aura definitely screams “Come try hitting on her and let’s see what you’ll get from me.” Thus, Yoseob, Minhyuk and Minho never did try to come lingering around the parameters of Chaeyeon.

Lunch time came and Luhan blatantly entered Chaeyeon’s classroom. He didn’t even let her utter a single word when he occupied the set beside her, brought out his own lunchbox and homemade cookies and let himself be comfortable at the chair.

What the is wrong with you” was written all over Chaeyeon’s face but she never did let out a word. Luhan on the other hand ignored her and busily munched on his lunch. He had been coveting this spot for days and weeks and he’s gonna make himself at home. Home is where Chayeon is.

“How was your class?” Luhan smiled, “I brought cookies for dessert by the way.”

Suddenly, Baro came approaching and Chaeyeon’s face lit up like fireworks. She stood up but Luhan caught her wrist and pulled her down.

“You’re eating lunch with me.” Luhan muttered under his breath.

“Chae—Hey, Luhan!” Baro came in the scene. Luhan gave off a y nod. “Chae, the rest are waiting at the cultural hall, would you like to go with me? I’ll wait for you until you finish your lunch. I’ll finish the Math homework anyways.”

Underneath the table, Luhan’s hand was tightly gripping on Chaeyeon’s. Stay, don’t go

“I’m— I’ll proceed there later. You go first, I’ll be here in a while. I’m lunching with L-Luhan” She breathed out and forcefully pulled her hand away from Luhan’s to grip her chopsticks and resume eating.

Luhan smiled in triumph. He smirked deviously as he eyed Baro’s back walking away from them.

“Luhan..” Chaeyeon reprimanded him.

“Yes?!” he answered attentively.

“Stop it. Seriously.”

“What? I’m not doing anything” he said defensively. “Here,” he put a Ciabatta Sandwich on her bento, “you like this right?”

“You don’t have to do this.”

“But I want to.”

Chaeyeon knew there was no winning against him, so she just offered him a forced small smile out of courtesy and let out a small thank you.

Luhan was on his face mode allll daaay looong. Minho, Minhyuk and Yoseob’s shadows can’t be seen in the campus and all the boys didn’t dare to look at him at the eyes, whoever did will turn into a stone. Luhan will look at them from head to toe as if challenging them to glance another second longer at his Chaeyeon.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“KRRRIIIIING”

The students literally jumped from their seat at the sound of the bell. Not caring if their homeroom teacher hasn’t finished the class assignments. And that includes Chaeyeon, she has to be on time for the friendly match set by the Eastern High. She dumped in her notebooks in her bag, not caring if they get creased in the process. What is important right now is for her to get to the Lawn Tennis Court which is 3 buildings away in 5 minutes.

“Chae, snacks later at—“

“Can’t. Have a match with Eastern High”, then she dashed outside the room.

“Chae! You left your books!”

With a groan, she went back to her desk. “Thanks Minji.”

She didn’t expect she’d be struggling with her things. She was traumatized when she was locked in the locker room (courtesy of Chen) and told herself that she will never ever go back inside the room again. So with her racket and duffel bag and backpack, she took every step with a grunt because of the heaviness she carry on her shoulders. She was about to head to the stairs when somebody stopped her and grabbed her bags.

“HEEEY—“ she protested

“Sorry, I’m late. Got held back by Mr. Kim.” Luhan was panting slightly. He ran out from his classroom just to chase Chaeyeon. He slung Chaeyeon’s bag over his shoulders. “You’re practicing right?”

Chaeyeon just cocked her eyebrows and nodded cautiously.

“Come on, you’re going to be late.” Luhan grabbed her hands and led her downstairs to sprint for the Tennis Court.

“Luhan, can you let go of my hand?” Chaeyeon said with a hint of annoyance. Luhan has been invading her privacy all day long. Maybe if things were the same as before then she wouldn’t have to react this way.

“No” he answered immediately.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

25-25. Advantage in favor of SM High.

The usually empty Tennis Court was now filled with decent amount of audience; 90% are boys. Eyes glued to a certain female player who had her hair tied into a high ponytail. Her bangs secured with 3 colorful hairpins. The best thing? The SM High’s Women Tennis Players Uniform. Miniskirt.

Chaeyeon’s shoes squeaked like a mouse with every step as she countered with a backhand. Another squeak when she gave another forehand. Her breath ragged and her face drenched in sweat. And there are only 2 clear things at that moment that made sense to her. Firstly, she need only need another point. Just another single point. Secondly, the duration of the game maxed her out and her breath had a hard time catching up with the pace of the game. She’s starting to wear out.

“C’mon Chae, just one more. Hang in there baby.” At the bleachers, Luhan was whispering to himself; focused on the game; focused on her. He was swallowing his spit for the nth time and his fingers were fidgeting since the score tied.

The Fencing Team started to snicker in delight.

“Man, I didn’t know Park Chaeyeon is a tigress in court.” Hwang Jackson said amused.

“Whoa, chinja..This is a 180 degrees change of plot. From nerdy to ultimate babyy~” Another one said.

“That is Park Chaeyeon, right? How could that pretty face stay in our school without being noticed?”  Mark muttered, still at awe.

“Who would like to have a 2nd look on a girl who seems to only have sweaters in her closet?” Yugyeom answered Mark

“Were our female tennis players always this good and pretty or is it just Park Chaeyeon?” JB asked the team

“It’s definitely Park Chaeyeon!” They all agreed.

“AISH THESE BA—“ Luhan stood from his seat when he heard the Fencing Team but only to be stopped by Chanyeol and Chen.

“Whoa hyung, calm down yo .” Chanyeol grabbed Luhan by his arm and literally tapped Luhan’s pecs.

“Go LUHAN-HYUNG! FCKING BEAT THE OUT OF THEM!” Sehun and Kai cheered.

The hyungs throw the maknaes a dirty glare and the maknaes shut up.

“Hands off my s, Chanyeol.”

 

 

 

 

There were series of Ad In and Ad Out in the place of SM High. Chaeyeon was sweating profusely and her breath hitched every now and then.

Nobody seemed to leave the Tennis Court. Everybody fell in love with Chaeyeon. Her determination and game play are attractive. She grew in the hearts of the audience with every counter and serve she made.

“I don’t think Park Chaeyeon will last long.” Bambam said all of a sudden. He gained dirty looks from all the people sitting beside him.

Luhan’s ears twitched and Chanyeol failed to stop him from grabbing Bambam’s collar this time. “Listen here you fetus-face, Chaeyeon is playing with everything she can. Do you see her stance and her services? They are all ing stable and flawless. Do you see East –“

A loud cheer from the crowd boomed the whole court. Luhan immediately throw Bambam on the side and whipped his head to the center. There he saw Chaeyeon kneeling while leaning to her racket. His heart stopped and barely leapt out of his chest. What happened?

“THAT’S MY COUSIN!” Chanyeol hollered. “SHE’S PARK CHAEYEON! SHE’S MY FRIGGIN’ PRETTY COUSIN!!” Chanyeol shouted with all his might.

Chaeyeon heard her cousin’s deep ogre voice and smiled at their spot. Luhan’s heart throbbed. She won.

“THAT’S MY GIRL! OH YEAH! YO YO YO WHADDUP! SHE’S MY GIIIIRL!” Luhan roared. “SHE’S MY GUUURL YO YO YO MAN!” he thundered towards the Fencing Team, Basketball Team, Baseball Team…practically to every man in the court.

“They’re together?!! Did Chaeyeon answer him already?” Tao asked with his eyes wide. He just woke up from the whole drama

“Duh…manifestations of love; delusion.” Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and went back on reading his book.

 

 

 

 


 

i'm baaack. talk to me...please? :3

...because Valentine's Day is such a drag. FFF.