Chapter 1

Subject Black Pearl
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

CHAPTER ONE 
 

Who knows how long I've been here in this lab; this dark, grey and empty asylum.

The air was always so still, no sound would travel through the packed up walls of isolation, there's only a faint buzz from the light fixtures and computers, or the hum of mashines doing their job. The people here watch and monitor my every move, cameras everywhere. I can't look out real windows and see the warm sun or the friendly birds and trees, like the ones i see in pictures hanging on my walls with the light tint of apricot. All I do is stay in my locked up apartment being told what to do. I'm told when to make meals and what to eat, the tap water is "made" just for me, told to make my bed and clean my small space. I feel like a slave, for if I do not do as i am told, there is a punishment of brutal pain both mental and physical.

They call me dangerous. A monster who should be isolated from real people.

I sat on my bed, with the thought,

'Are there others like me...?'

It was a question I have asked myself for sixteen years. Sixteen lonely, quiet years.

A quite ding of an upcoming announcement echoed for a moment. A low raspy voice slurred his words to form the instruction: "please go to bed, now".

He's was always so drunk.

I retrieved the small pile of clothes at had been set out for me; an old grey tank top with just the slightest hole at the hem on the right side, and solid purple shorts that had the waist strings cut out so I wouldn't do something "irrational". After I finished dressing, I watched myself scrub away at my teeth and tongue. My eyes are glued to my rounded nose with three small freckles on the right nostril that form a triangle.

I stepped out and crawled into bed.

"Alright, goodnight Ari." the caller outside says and turns off the lights. I laid still, trying to fall asleep but there was suddenly someone - or something in the apartment with me. I flipped on my lamp resting upon the nightstand and pulled by body up to sit straight. It was silent. Nothing moved in the darkness. I was alone but something was lingering that made me feel uneasy. There was a shadow that moved behind the couch in the living room area. Lifting the covers off I stepped out of bed.

A dark shadow covers my feet. The cloud was warm, like a heated blanket wrapping around my legs. As it touches each part of me, it transforms my body. I walked on all fours with fur and a tail. My eyes are a glowing blue and pupils are in slits. I move close to the ground in a stalking motion and move slowly to the couch. The shadow moves again and my ears perk up.

"You... You... You..." It whispers loudly and circles around the room. My eyes dart across, watching it's every move. It rested in the corner next to the coffee table. I squat down getting ready to pounce. Shifting back and forth on my feet and sprung up and grabbed the dark figure in my sharp teeth. A high pitch scream screeched in my ears and it left. I warned the being with a low growled and pranced back to bed. The shadow covers my body starting at my feet and ending at the crown of my Head. Finally I could get some rest.

The alarm rings for me to rise. I sat up and the man outside silenced the noise and I hear him speak.

"Good morning Ari. Hope you slept well. Your tutor will be here in an hour." He says and I nod silently and got dressed. After showering I changed into my everyday clothes and gathered my school supplies.

There is a ding in the kitchen area. I place my books and pencil on a nearby table and walk swiftly to the window where a warm plate of pancakes, chocolate chips, bacon, and a tall glass of orange juice. A slight smile crosses by lips as it’s sent enters my nose. I chow down once I have sat at my table and ate well.

Soon after I was finishing up cleaning my breakfast there was a knock on the door. I glance up at the camera where the man tells me it’s alright. I answer with caution as always but open up when I see who it is.

"Good morning Mr. Shim." I bowed letting him in.

"Good to see you're awake Ari." He nods walking in. We sat down at the table and start my lessons.

My whole life Shim Changmin has been my teacher. He's very smart in all subjects and has an interesting way of teaching that's not entirely boring. He doesn't know about my secret as far as I've been told and I'm told to keep it hidden from everyone anyways.

Hours passes of his lessons.

"And see diving the 65 by 3 you'd have to..." He explains and I nod writing it down.

"Okay! and to find x I'd have to keep 53 and then add- oh I see" I smiled once I understood.

"Good! See I knew you'd get it!" He cheered and cupped my shoulder. I gave him a small smile. "Alright on to the next question."

When we cover all my subjects he leaves. A few minutes pass, and later there’s another knock on the door. Peering out I see it's the caller that speaks through the mic.

"H-Hello Owen." I stutter. "Is there something wrong?"

"You're needed in test room 503" He says and I nod. Clos

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter