STAR O N E ★ the rise

stars are falling just for us ★ THE.ONE

      Jongin's POV ;

 

As the days passed, I realised how my life was really uneventful. It had never bugged me before. But when she came, almost running into me, she changed my world. My walls that stood tall and strong collapsed like a sand castle as we bumped into each other. All of the sudden, the oh so plain sky was full of stars, these pieces of jewelry. The so weird and awkward english became a melody and familiar to me. I had never really taken interest in music either. Well, just liked to listen to some songs but I never did mind the title or the artist except for some ones. Especially the ones my mother used to listen. So they were old tracks of course... But after the concert, I actually had some songs stuck in my head. Sehun didn't miss it and got me tuned to them, adding other titles too. Slowly, I was getting into it. I even started to take interest in dancing, which I turned out to be surprisingly good at.

It didn't take long before our friends noticed the change. I was even more opened to them, as long as they would discuss music and english. That's not a lot, but still it was a clear improvement.

 

  "Let me guess, a girl's behind all of this, right?" asked our friend Ji Hwan.

 

At this, I'd always only give a smile. Nothing else. They'd tease me a lot about it of course, knowing the meaning of it. However, I never told them about it. I just mentionned a girl looking at the stars to Sehun. Soon, she was then going by the name of "Starry Girl" - well, these idiots couldn't find something better at the moment and stuck to this name. Her identity was a secret only I and she knew about. It's stupid I know but for some reasons I couldn't bring myself to say who she was.

 

  "I still can't believe you didn't ask for her name..." I heard Sehun grunt.

 

He'd never get over this... would he ever? Ha.

Well, in order to keep her identity a secret, I said I've never asked what her name is. Which wasn't exactly a lie. I didn't have to ask, she said it before I could. I know, that's what we call a white lie. But well, my nosy bestfriend wouldn't die from one little white lie. We all had our little secrets after all.

 

  "It doesn't matter..." I mumbled, holding my scarf closer to me.

  "What do you mean 'it doesn't matter'? It does! If you don't know her name, you are just going to stay a mere stranger to her"

 

I probably was... it's not like I would meet her again...

I sighed and decided to ignore Sehun's rants. My eyes wandered around me as we were still walking on the snowy streets. They finally landed on one of the shops which the windows were exposing multiple ideas of gifts for Christmas. I didn't bother to think about that event and prefered to just stare absent-mindedly at the different objects displayed. Slowly, as I kept walking in silence, my eyes were lured by the TV and... I stopped.

My heart started beating crazily and I felt short of breath.

What did I just see? I approached the window slowly as my body felt really heavy.

 

  "...how do you expect, therefore, to go anywhere like th- Yah, Kim Jongin, would you mind to at least pretend you're listening to me?"

 

Sehun's voice seemed so faint, as if he was at the other end of the street - and he might have actually been, I couldn't be so sure considering the attention I gave him. I was way too focused on that TV. I didn't even notice he got closer until I felt all his weight stumble on my back.

 

  "Hey! Isn't that the girls band that came two months ago to our school?" I didn't respond, still dazed a little bit. "Yeah... It actually is them. Wow, daebak, they made it! We got to meet them first, right? So if they become famous, we can be considered lucky..."

 

If they get famous, uh? I really didn't know how to feel about all of this...

I looked at his face a bit and stared back at the screen.

 

After that, we stayed there for at least fifteen more minutes and eventually left after. All the way back home, I just kept silent. It had been a while since I did that but Sehun didn't notice it until we had to part ways. Once again, his questions didn't find any answers and I kind of have to shoo him home. Then, the way up to my house was filled with thoughts of YoonA. I looked up at the dark sky slowly, snowflakes gently falling on my face. That was disturbing, snowflakes I mean. I frowned a bit since I could barely see the stars behind them.

Another sigh escaped my cold lips.

 

  "YoonA-ssi. You're going higher and higher, further and further in that dark sky. What if one day, just like for today's sky, I don't see you anymore? Will my heart froze to death like my hands? Am I really okay with this?" I mumbled.

 

When I reached home, I hesitated for a few ridiculous minutes before I couldn't take it anymore: I needed to make a research on this new girls band. I jumped on my computer, leaving my homeworks undone. My fingers quickly typed the name I saw on that screen. It wasn't even hard to find even though they were rookies.

Girls Generation quickly showed up in the suggestions... and following it, that name, Im YoonA, face of the band. Obviously...

 

I stared at my computer, not sure whether I should be happy or not. I decided I should watch at least their video again so I'd get to hear the song this time.

A crucial mistake.

I was caught in it again and I couldn't help but admit that the YoonA I met belonged to that world. Not to mine. I pulled my hair in frustration. Why was I so ridiculous and miserable? Why out of all the girls on Earth, I had to fall for that girl? The one I met only once. The one I'd hardly meet again. Was that even possible? Was that making sense to fall for this kind of girl? Let alone this, was that making sense to fall for her that quickly? That 'Who knows' rang in my head again... dang it. Why did she have to say that too? I was hanging on that little sentence a bit too much for my liking and I knew it.

I sighed, staring back at the screen for a few more minutes.

 

I had to finish my homework, I reminded myself like a robot, but then I noticed a message stating that they had opened registration to their fanclub. My hand unconsciously moved to the link but I stopped. I was taking all of this too far. Nodding firmly at this, I stood up and finished my homework, glad I could try and focus on something else. It wasn't an easy thing but I managed to do it anyway.

That night, I didn't eat anything else than the snacks Sehun and I bought earlier, avoiding any contact with my father. And fortunately, he never dropped by my room. Before going to sleep, turning my head towards my window, I shot a glance at the blue twinkling star in the sky.

 

* ~★ ★ ★~ *

 

I threw my bag in the corner of the room before joining the guys in the middle of it. But they didn't pay much attention. I tapped Sehun's shoulder, asking what they were all looking at. That's when I saw a screen just in front of them and recognised the song. Girls Generation. I groaned and distanced myself from the band. I had managed to push them out of my brain these two past days (a hard thing considering all the promotion, the talks, the posters hanging here and there...) but here it was going again.

It took them ten more minutes to stop and come back to reality. Meanwhile, I had grumpily stretched myself.

 

  "Wow, what's with the angry face?" Sehun finally noticed.

 

I just shrugged and tried right away some steps as they still needed to stretch. It didn't stop them from talking about the girls. What stops boys of that age from talking about girls anyway? I tried to ignore.

 

  "Jessica is quite the singer, right?" One of them said.

  "Indeed, so seems Tiffany. I'm quite fond of YoonA too..." another one stated, drawing my attention even if I wished it doesn't.

  "Everyone is fond of YoonA!" The first boy said, chuckling at his own words.

  "Isn't it normal? She plays her role pretty well as a member and she's cute" Sehun retorded with a shrug.

  "Yeah... but can she actually sing? Or dance? It's easy to be there and look pret-"

  "How would you know if you only pay attention to Jessica?" I butted in, taking everyone by surprise.

 

The room was silent for a while. Even I was surprised by my own intervention. What has gotten into me? I was about to just go back to dancing but the boy I snapped to had finished to stretch. He made his way to me and tapped my shoulder, smiling like an idiot.

 

  "You're right, Jongin... Hope to hear more of her... and Jessica" he teasingly added. I rolled my eyes.

  "Well, if they leave her the chance. Since YoonA's the face, they might want her to just be there..." Sehun was quite right at this. Now I realised what was bothering me so much with that band.

  "She was so good during the concert though..." I mumbled.

  "Yeah... a waste..." Sehun nodded. I don't even know how he managed to hear me.

  "Naaah, it's fine. Look, she's got a passionnate fan. And it's Kim Jongin. Like, wow, if she did that to him, she probably can do anything!"

 

At this, they all laughed and I grumpily slapped his hand off my shoulder.

 

  "Will Starry Girl be okay with this?"

 

My mind blocked. That's right, they didn't know YoonA and 'Starry Girl' was the same person. I smirked and shook my head. Though, this question stayed in my head a bit. Was she okay with all of this? With her situation? With boys drooling over her looks? She was a singer, a star, maybe she wanted something else out of it...

I didn't get to think more about it. The music had filled the basement and we started to dance all in synch. I had to focus a bit more as I have a big part on this choreography. But, even if the steps were all well done, my expression wasn't so good.

No one seemed to realise or bother although. Only I could complain about my lack of attention...

 

* ~★ ★ ★~ 

 

Christmas was approaching fast. Everyone on the campus was looking forward the winter break. Everyone except for Kim Jongin. I grimaced as my new friends described what they'd do for these few days. One was going to the ski resort with his family, another one would visit his sister over Japan, this friend would be with his new-found girlfriend (lucky fool) and Jihwan said he would just enjoy some time with his brother and old friends. Only I was left silent.

 

  "What about you, Jongin-ah?"

 

I looked up from my sketch, my eyes scanning them all. They were staring at me, obviously waiting for an answer. But I had no answer. No pleasant-to-tell answer. I got back to drawing, shrugging as a response. I felt a sudden weight falling on me. I was lucky my pen wasn't on the paper at that moment now, my sketch would have been ruined. I sighed in relief - with a hint of annoyance.

 

  "Yah, what was that shrug?" I recognised Sehun's voice scratching the walls of my ears' shells. I sighed once more, who else could be so reckless with me? "You have an important event to intend during this break."

 

I turned my head so I could face that silly ... well, face... He looked amused, as if he was pulling his best prank and I was playing a major part in it. I frowned at him. Sehun, better than anyone here, should have known how much I was reluctant to spend time alone at home with my father. What kind of event would I intend? None. Except if my sisters were coming back home, but I'd know...

Sehun's dramatic sigh brought me back to reality.

 

  "Seriously, you wouldn't be anywhere without me Kim Jongin."

  "What nonsense are you talking about?" I finally asked him.

  "Seo Nyu Shi Dae, they're holding a fan event. For their new and first official fans! And you're coming with me" he proudly said.

  "Sehun, I didn't apply to their fanclub" I stated, my heart beating already.

 

But it didn't only beat, it felt like someone was squeezing it in their hands. I thought about that night I wanted to apply and didn't because of my stupid pride and my so-called common sense. Suddenly, I wished I had applied. I would have at least seen her... I would have made sure my heart was still beating for someone like this. I meant, was she still the same 'Starry Girl' behind that goddess concept?

 

  "Yeah, I figured out Kim Jongin would be having a hard time doing this, so shameless and great Oh Sehun did the job. You'll thank me later, in front of YoonA-ssi for instance"

  "You... uh... what..?"

 

I stared at him for a moment, not knowing what to do or say. Around us, all the boys started to complain on how selfish we were for not applying for them too. The only way to shut their mouths was having the teacher entering the room with his black shoes clacking on the floor. That got everyone silent. Only my stupid beating heart was defying Mr. Cha's authority and his eagle gaze. But when he turned his back and started the lesson, I gave Sehun a little smile.

 

YoonA... we will meet again...