Forever and Always

Forever and Always

#nowplaying Parachute Band- Forever and Always

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol looks down at the bouquet if white roses and smiles-baekhyun’s favorite flowers. With one hand on the steering wheel, he reaches for the small black box that is sitting in the passenger seat. His car pulls to a stop as the traffic light turns red, and he opens the box carefully. Two simple silver bands lay nestled in the red velvet cushion, he takes the larger ring out and slips it on his ring finger. He knows the light is going to turn green soon, but he can’t resist just peeking at the engraving on the inside of the ring. ~Forever and always~ Chanbaek ~ . And bcause of that, chanyeol fails to see the car that is speeding towards him directly, only till the last second when he looks up and the light turns green.  His eyes widen in shock, and he braces for the impact.

 

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

It’s 8pm already and Chanyeol is still not home. Baekhyun is getting a little worried as he goes about placing the finishing touches to his home cooked dinner. Placed neatly beside chanyeol’s plate is a small stack of paper and on the first page, it states Adoption clearly. He can’t wait to tell chanyeol the good news, that the orphanage had finally decided to allow them to adopt one of the children there. He knew chanyeol always loved children and he looks forward to the bright smile on chanyeol’s face when he sees the adoption papers-a fitting gift for their tenth anniversary. He still cannot believe that he and chanyeol have been together for ten years already. These ten years have been the best years of his life and he knows that it will continue to be for the rest of his life. Or so he thought.

 

When the clock ticks 10, baekhyun is dozing off by the couch, the food long gone cold. He has tried chanyeol’s phone many times but was always met with a dial tone. He had tried Chanyeol’s coworkers and friends too but no one has seen Chanyeol. Baekhyun feels a little angry, but he feels more worried. Chanyeol was not one to do such a thing, he would have definitely informed baekhyun is he was going to be late. An uneasy feeling spreads across his chest and he fiddles with his mobile phone. When it suddenly rings, he nearly drops it in shock. It’s an unknown number, baekhyun answers the call hesitantly.

 

“Hello, may I speak to Mr Byun Baekhyun?” a female voice asks on the other line.

 

“Yes, how may I help you?” Baekhyun replies nervously, he doesn’t like the sound of this.

 

“Are you a close kin of Mr Park Chanyeol?”

 

“Yes. I’m his boyfriend.” Baekhyun’s heart thuds again his chest rapidly.

 

“I’m sorry, but could you please make a trip down to the hospital. Mr Park has met with a car accident and currently in critical condition.” Baekhyun can hear his heart dropping down the bottomless pit as his mind attempts to process what the woman just said.

 

“Mr Byun?”

 

“Yes, I will be there shortly.” Baekhyun hangs up, fingers immediately dialing a set of numbers. The phone rings twice before it is picked up.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Kris?”

 

“Yes Baekhyun?”

 

“C-chanyeol m-met with a car accident.” Is all he manages to get up before the tears hit him. He barely registers Kris “I’ll be there.” As he rushes out of house, fingers trembling as he starts up the car. By the time he reaches the hospital, his sobs have subsided, but the feeling of dread has not. He informs the receptionist that he is here to see Park Chanyeol and is directed towards the intensive care unit.

 

“Mr Byun?” a nurse questions and Baekhyun nods his head shakily. The nurse gives him a sympathetic glance before she calls the doctor over. Through the lines of the window, Baekhyun can see Chanyeol’s long form stretched out across the hospital bed. His head, arms and legs are heavily bandaged and there is a monitor beside him. The lines shallow but moving. Baekhyun’s knees feel like they are going to give way any moment and he s his way to the hospital chair. He collapses onto it just as the doctor exits the room. A wave of fear washes over baekhyun as he notes the doctor’s somber stare.

 

“Hi.” Baekhyun greets weakly.

 

“I take that you’re Mr Park’s boyfriend.”

 

“Yes.” Baekhyun clasps his fingers together tightly, bracing himself for the news.

 

“We tried our best but anything might happen overnight, there might be implications. We need to keep him here for a period of time. Most likely a week to make sure he is completely out of danger.”

 

Baekhyun nods, at least Chanyeol is still alive and that’s all that matters. “Can I see him?”

 

“Yes. When he wakes up, call for us immediately.” The doctor instructs before he leaves. 

 

Baekhyun stares at the white walls of the hospital for ten minutes, blanking out. A large hand on his shoulder startles him and he jumps up in fright.

 

“It’s me baek.” Baekhyun looks up at Kris’s towering stature. Wordlessly, Kris leads Baekhyun towards the room. Baekhyun sees Yixing from the corner of his eye and the dimple male gives Baekhyun a reassuring smile. Baekhyun takes a deep breath and opens the door.

 

But when he sees Chanyeol’s bandaged form on the bed, the tears threaten to overflow again. Kris is staring in shock at his best friend, eyes not believing that this was the tall lanky cheerful friend of his. Kris’s grip on Baekhyun’s shoulders tighten as they draw near the bed,

 

“You idiot.” Baekhyun mutters softly, no hint of anger in his tone. Just disappointment. Baekhyun spots a small black box and a bouquet of white roses on the bedside table. Baekhyun can feel his heart breaking into a million pieces as he sees how squashed and torn the white roses are. He slowly pries open the black box and promptly drops to the floor, clutching the box to his heart as he sobs quietly. The silver ring lays in the red velvet unharmed, and so is the ring on Chanyeol’s ring finger, as Baekhyun traces each of Chanyeol’s long fingers. Kris silently leaves the room to call the rest of their friends as Baekhyun kneels by Chanyeol’s bed.

 

Baekhyun vaguely remembers being helped up by Sehun and Tao, the pair placing him gently on the chair as the rest of them solemnly take in Chanyeol’s appearance. Kyungsoo is the first to start crying, he was Chanyeol’s first best friend. They grew up together and he had been the one to introduce Baekhyun to Chanyeol. Kyungsoo stumbles to Baekhyun’s side and they embrace each other tightly. Tao the most emotional of them is the second of them to start crying and Minseok pats the tall teen on the back comfortingly as Tao wails about Chanyeol’s promise to bring him to Chanyeol’s childcare centre to meet the cute little children. Even Sehun with his impassive face cries as he recalls the time Chanyeol has helped him and treated him like his real brother. He was the brother Chanyeol had always wanted and had never failed to shower the poker faced child with too much love and affection. And although the rest do not cry openly, the tears shine brightly in their eyes. The eleven of them keep vigilant by Chanyeol’s bedside the whole night, too stubborn to let any of the nurses drag them out.

 

It was too heartbreaking a sight to see the distraught and devastated faces of eleven grown men.

 

When Chanyeol’s eyelids flutter open,Baekhyun is by his side in a flash, pressing the button that called for the doctor. Within seconds, the doctor enters hurriedly and Baekhyun watches as the doctor checks on Chanyeol. His heart sinks when the doctor frowns.

 

“He is awake, but still not totally stable. Try not to agitate him.”

 

Baekhyun carefully laces their fingers together as Chanyeol blinks away the sleep.

 

“hi.” He croaks out. Baekhyun immediately hands Chanyeol a cup of water, but Chanyeol’s arms are weighed down by the bandages and Baekhyun carefully tips the water into Chanyeol’s parched mouth.

 

“I’m sorry.” Chanyeol says sadly.

 

“Sorry for what?” baekhyun grins wryly.

 

“It was our 10th anniversary. It was supposed to be our special day. I was going to propose to you.” Chanyeol speaks each word slowly, and it is as if a knife is slowly pushed into baekhyun’s heart with each word.

 

“Shhh, everything is going to be alright. Just sleep.” Baekhyun presses his forehead against Chanyeol’s bandaged forehead.

 

The rest are equally overjoyed when they find out that Chanyeol had woken up, but it was still not over yet.

 

Everyone attempts to be quiet and take turns to talk to Chanyeol who can only hum in reply. They take turns to go home to wash up, eat and get fresh clothes. Except for Baekhyun who refuses to leave. He talks to Chanyeol about their future plans after marriage. He shows Chanyeol the adoption papers and he is rewarded with a small smile-not the one that he had wanted originally, but he was still satisfied. They look through the photos together, eliminating off child after child until they finally see the one that they have been waiting for. She’s a little girl, barely two and had been abandoned since birth. It is the look of loneliness in her eyes that is concealed by a defiant stare at the camera.

 

“She looks feisty, just like you. Remember when we first met, I was so scared of you.”

 

“Even though you were so much taller than me, I felt like I was taller than you with the way you were cowering.” Baekhyun teases.

 

Chanyeol pouts. “We can buy the house we have always wanted. The one by the hillside, so pretty. We can be alone, just the three of us.” Chanyeol muses.

 

Baekhyun heart pieces back together, but the happiness does not last. Chanyeol does not wake up the next day. Baekhyun frantically presses the button for the doctor and wrings his fingers as the doctors try to find out what is wrong with Chanyeol.

 

“I think he was too exhausted. He just needs a little more rest.” The doctor assures but it does not stop the guilt from gnawing at his conscience.

 

“It’s not your fault Baek. He is going to be alright.” Chen rubs Baekhyun’s back soothingly as the rest watches worriedly. Baekhyun looks really terrible and they are worried for him too. Afraid that Chanyeol’s accident has taken too hard a toll on Baekhyun both physically and mentally.

On the fourth day, Luhan manages to persuade Baekhyun to go home and shower so that Chanyeol will not complain about him smelling. Baekhyun grudgingly allows Suho and Kyungsoo to bring him home. Just as he steps out of the shower, they get a phone call from Jongin, informing them that Chanyeol is awake and looking for Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun sprints down the seemingly endless hallway until he reaches Chanyeol’s room. He pauses and Kyungsoo and Suho wait behind him. They nudge him gently and he enters the room.

 

“Baek.” Chanyeol grins, but his smile falters when Baekhyun stays unmoving from his spot at the door.

 

“Baek?”

 

“I’m sorry.” Baekhyun gasps out before he turns and flees out of the room.

 

He drops to his knees outside, panting. Baekhyun curls up on the floor, and whimpers pitifully.

 

“Hyung, hyung, it’s not your fault. Please go back. Chanyeol needs you.” Sehun cries as he pulls Baekhyun into his embrace, trying to comfort Baekhyun as his own tears pour down.

 

Baekhyun enters the room for the second time timidly. Chanyeol looks worried but his smile returns when Baekhyun runs towards him.

 

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry.” Baekhyun chants repeatedly.

 

“I love you too.” Chanyeol pecks Baekhyun on his lips and Baekhyun reciprocates happily.

 

“Hello, we are still here.” Luhan teases but truthfully, they were glad that Baekhyun came back.

 

 

Chanyeol seemed to be on the journey of recovery and everyone were getting their hopes up. But on the eighth day as Chanyeol listens to the rest of them chatter, eyes blinking close sleepily, Baekhyun gets a little worried. His eyes flicker to Chanyeol every few seconds as he watch Chanyeol’s eyes remain close for a longer period each time.

 

“Yeol, are you okay?”

 

“I’m fine, just a little sleepy.”

 

“No, don’t sleep yet baby.” Baekhyun whispers frantically. He had a very bad feeling about this.

 

“I’m so tired. I just want to rest.” Chanyeol’s eyes close again and it is with great difficulty that he opens them again.

 

“Chanyeol, no.” Baekhyun cries as the rest huddle around, brows furrowed anxiously.

 

Chanyeol closes his eyes once again, but they do not reopen this time round.

 

 

Everyone freezes, not daring to make a single noise as they take in the continuous dull tone. And then time unfreezes and the panic sets in, chaos ensues. Shouts and screams permeate the air as the doctors fly in, defibrillators in hand. Everyone waits with bated breath as the doctors start the counting. For a few minutes, the line stays dead and Baekhyun can feel himself getting lightheaded. All hope is almost lost but- there is a small, tiny, almost imperceptible jump in the straight line. It is followed by another small jump, a definite one. The doctors continue and they count together, praying fervently. The jumps become steady, small but steady and finally, everyone breathes a sigh of relief. Chanyeol was still alive. Baekhyun rocks back and forth on his heels as tears run down his cheeks.

 

When the doctors leave, they announce that Chanyeol’s condition is finally stable, he just needed a close brush with death to regain life-the irony. But Chanyeol was alright now and everything was going to be okay.

 

“For a moment I thought I was really going to die. But then I thought of you my little Baekhyunnie. How could I leave you alone? It was really pretty on the other side, flowers everywhere and the blue sky never ends. But you weren’t there with me, so I came back for you.” Chanyeol smiles weakly.

 

You must never leave me again you hear me.” Baekhyun orders sternly, but his tears undermines his harsh tone.

 

“I love you too.” Chanyeol grins as he reaches out for Baekhyun. The shorter male buries his face in Chanyeol’s collarbones and Chanyeol Baekhyun’s hair gently. Tao cries again at the touching side and it is then, everybody lets their façade crumble, tears streaming down their faces. Everyone had been so tightly strung this whole week, praying that Chanyeol’s condition would stabilize. Now that they could confirm that he was out of danger, the relief that came along was too overwhelming.

 

“Why are all of you crying?” Chanyeol teases, beckoning them all towards him. The twelve of them huddle together on the tiny bed and declare that they would love each other forever. The worst is finally over.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Two months later, they finally get married. A simple affair attended only by their immediate families and friends-the ones who had been there through the terrible ordeal and Baekhyun and Chanyeol were eternally grateful to the other ten.

 

“Come on, you’re going to be late. Your eyeliner is perfect already.” Kyungsoo whines.

 

“Hush, it’s his big day, he must look his prettiest.” Minseok grins and Baekhyun ignores them in favour of making sure both eyes were lined perfectly. With a satisfied smile, he puts down the eyeliner to admire himself. Baekhyun was dressed all in white, white dress shirt, white jacket suit, white slacks and white bow tie. Chanyeol was dressed similar, except he had a white tie instead of a bowtie.

 

Baekhyun’s heart is pounding again, but in a good way this time as he walks down the aisle together with sehun and jongin. When he sees Chanyeol, Baekhyun can’t help the smile that blooms across his face. Chanyeol sends back an equally binding smile and kyungsoo who is beside him giggles. The floor is littered with white roses and everything is so blindingly light. It’s like they’re in heaven.

 

“Anywhere with you is heaven.” Chanyeol whispers into Baekhyun’s ear and the latter cringe at his husband to be cheesiness.

 

Everything goes smoothly and soon Chanyeol is sliding the silver band onto baekhyun’s ring finger and wastes no time in pressing his eager lips to Baekhyun’s pliant ones. There are hoots and catcalls but they choose to ignore their friends. They finally break apart and their friends take that as a cue to shower them in white petals. The band starts up and everyone starts singing and dancing. Chanyeol wraps his arms around Baekhyun’s slim waist and Baekhyun settles his arms on Chanyeol’s neck, they sway along with the melody. The song ends and it’s yixing’s cue, his fingers poised above the piano keys.

 

Chanyeol sinks down onto his knees,

 

I want you forever, forever and always
Through the good and the bad and the ugly
We'll grow old together, and always remember
Whether happy or sad or whatever
We'll still love each other, forever and always
Forever and always, forever and always

 

Baekhyun recognizes the song-their song and as soon as chanyeol finishes the verse, baekhyun tackles him to the ground. “I love you. Forever and always.”

 

“forever and always.” Chanyeol promises.

 

 

Right after their honeymoon, Chanyeol and Baekhyun take a trip to the orphanage. They inform the orphanage of their choice and confirm their decision. They have to wait a week before they can bring their little girl home. They stay a little while to introduce themselves to the little girl who takes to Baekhyun immediately.

 

So Baekhyun and Chanyeol got their happily ever after, atop a quiet hill in a small cottage surrounded by large expanses of grass and flowers where they spend hours frolicking together. And Baekhyun knows that the best years of his life will continue with each year he is with Chanyeol and their little girl.

 

The end.


 

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

i was really tempted to kill chanyeol.... but he's my bias and i'm a er for happy endings. though i do think it would have been better if it had a sad ending LOLOL but i caved in to my poor baekyeol heart and let them stay together forever and always hehe :D

p.s the last part probably , but i ran out of steam... sigh >.<