Last Days

The Final Days in a Dream

 

The grotesque sound of a strangled scream filled the ears of the young running boy. Eli seemed to pay no attention to the sound, his sneakers slapping against the wet and sandy ground of the open beach. He had heard that scream earlier.

 

Before that, Amy's eardrums burst at Alice's high pitched last echo, and she soon felt a hand drag her backwards and into the oblivion of the red dust.

 

Before that, the trio of thirteen year olds began sprinting, abandoning their supplies and camp site with no thought. Amy smacked her black trench coat into the rough gravel, knowing it would slow her down.

 

Before that, Alice violently shook Amy's shoulder, her voice already drowning in screams.

 

Before that, Amy rolled her eyes at the voices singing in her head.

 

At that time, she hurled the broken radio into the ocean, the fit of rage that surged through her surprised and frightened even Eli.

 

Before that, the trio slipped from their feet from exhaustion. Eli tiredly began setting up their moss colored tent, and Alice curled her feet under her body as she coaxed a fire to life. Amy toyed with the now dead radio.

 

Before that, the group walked for two days in the blazing heat.

 

Before that, Amy stumbled through the broken glass doors of a gas station convenience store, her eyes meeting the similarly aged and alive humans.

 

Before that, Amy was seconds away from fainting, loneliness and despair clouding her brain.

 

Before that, burning tears ran down her puffy cheeks as she bolted from the blue fog infected city.

 

Before that, she cried herself to sleep as she curled up under the dashboard of the locked honda.

 

At that moment, she saw the frantic family friend slip and fall, never to rise.

 

Before that, Amy's hoarse voice screeched as she watched her mother's arm stretch from the broken front window of their home, Amy's tiny fists pounded against the car windows, the blue mist swallowing her home and parents in one gulp.

 

Before that, Amy was grabbed by her waist and flung into the backseat of her neighbor's honda.

 

At this second, the young woman yelped "Get in the car! I'll drive us away from this place!"

 

Before that, Amy noticed the panic and fear that was driving through her neighborhood as she looked up from her ipod, taking out her ear plugs with her jaw dropped.

 

Before that, Amy was trotting home from school, music blasting through her ear plugs, eyes down cast as she whistled to the tune of the song.

 

Before that, Amy had settled into bed, eyes drooping shut. Later that night, she dreamed that she was in the place of the tomboy from her little brother's favorite zombie television show.