Chapter TEN

The Only Words Left to Say Are "I Love You"

I know this appears to be Chapter Eleven, but really, that last chapter doesn't count, so this is the actual Chapter Ten. Sorry if you're confused...............


 

G.O. was lying in bed when he heard a shuffling at the other side of the room. A dark figure rose from the bed and quietly crept out the door.

Chundoong? G.O. thought. He got out of bed and peeked out the door. Chundoong was sitting cross legged, facing the floor length window. G.O. peered curiously at him, when he suddenly heard a stifled sniffling.

G.O., shocked that Chundoong appeared to be crying, only wanted to rush out and make sure he was okay. But he held himself back, and just continued looking through the crack in the door.

“Chundoongie get a hold of yourself,” he heard his dongsaeng mumble to himself. G.O. tucked his knees under his chin, and wrapped his arms around his legs, as Chundoong continued, “Don’t think about her anymore. It’s not like she likes you.”

Chundoong sniffled some more and wiped his eyes quickly.

G.O. stood up and walked across the living room to Chundoong.,

“Hey you. Why are you up so late?” G.O. whispered.

Chundoong hurridly tried to cover his red eyes and replied, “I just…can’t sleep. Sorry if I woke you up, Hyung.”

G.O. smiled and sat down next to him. “What’s on your mind?”

Chundoong sighed. “It’s silly really. I’m fine.”

G.O. patted him on the back. “Are you really okay?”

Chundoong nodded. “Sure! I mean, it was really stupid, and I’m really fine now. You can go back to sleep, hyung.” He gave a convincing smile.

“Then, is it about—” G.O. started.

“Please don’t say her name,” Chundoong whispered. “I just…”

They sat in silence, watching the cars go by on the busy street below them. It must have been 1 o’clock in the morning, but half the city was still awake.

“I’m nice to her, I do things for her, I’m always there when she calls,” Chundoong choked out. “Why…why doesn’t she like me?”

G.O. looked down at Chundoong, curled into a ball next to him. He bit his lip.

Chundoong continued, “I’m just her nice oppa. That’s it, isn’t it? She doesn’t see me as anything more. But I can't help it. I just really…wish she would like me.”

He squeezed his eye shut and a tear pushed out, leaving a glistening trail on his pale cheek.

“Hyung,” he croaked. “Help me.”

G.O. swallowed. “Chundoong-ah…I…actually I…you…”

Chundoong opened his eyes, confused. “Hyung?”

G.O. gathered up his courage, and finished, “I’ll do anything I can to help you.”

Chundong smiled a little. “Thanks…thanks for being my good hyung.” He leaned his head on G.O.’s shoulder and closed his eyes again.

After a couple of minutes, G.O. heard small snores coming from Chundoong. He brushed a stray hair from Chundoong’s face, and wrapped his arms around him.

Just this once, I’ll pretend we can actually be together.

G.O. gently caressed Chundoong’s hair, and they drifted off to sleep.

 

Minji felt her phone buzz, finding a message from Seungho.

Meet me? Third floor rehearsal room? Ten minutes…

Minji pressed her lips together to keep from breaking out in a smile.

“What is it?” her manager asked.

“Oh it’s nothing,” Minji said nonchalantly. “But I really need to meet this person. Do you think we could postpone the meeting for a little bit?”

Her manager sighed. “The last episodefor You're the One is rolling around, and the producers were really hoping you could sing a song for the OST. This is the only time they can meet.”

Minji smiled defiantly, “Then just keep them here until I come back.” She swiftly made her way out of her rehearsal room and climbed the stairs to floor three.

The lights were already on in the rehearsal room, so Minji hesitantly knocked on the door and poked her head in. Sure enough, the MBLAQ guys were all inside, dancing to a new song. When Minji arrived, they all turned their head towards the door, and she found herself being examined by the five guys.

“Hey, let’s take a quick break,” Seungho said without taking his eyes off her. She gave him a tentavite smile, which he returned enthusiastically.

He headed over to the door. “Shall we walk outside?” They left the room.

“So, how are you?” Seungho asked.

“Doing pretty good,” Minji replied. “What did you have to talk to me about?”

Seungho swallowed nervously. “Actually, I was just wondering…”

Is this it? Minji thought.

“I mean,” Seungho continued. “The press already says we’re a couple…So maybe, you’d like to…”

Oh crap oh crap oh crap. This is it!

He took a deep breath. “…date for real.” He looked at her expectantly.

Minji chewed her cheek. (This was the only method she knew to stop herself from grinning like an idiot…however, her cheek was pretty sore from her previous chewing, heh, so it hurt quite a bit to do this).

Minji smiled sheepishly. “I’d really like that.”

 

Joon sunk to the ground. She’d really like that. She’d really like that. He heard them laugh and peeked around the corner. They had linked their hands.

Joon winced.

“I have to go,” Minji suddenly said. “My manager’s gonna kill me. The producers for You’re the One are supposed to meet with us…I’m so screwed!”

Joon crawled behind a big box to avoid being seen as Minji dashed down the stairs.

She’d really like that.

 

He was holding Hyuna’s hand as they strolled down the park lane. He leaned down to give her a peck on the cheek.

“Joon!” he heard someone call him. He whipped his head around to see Minji looking up at him, gasping for air. “We’ve been looking all over for you!”

Hyuna stepped in front of him. “He was with me, if you aren’t aware yet. So be kind as to leave us alone?”

Minji stood awkwardly. “Um…but your manager—“

She stopped midsentence as she caught a glare from Hyuna. She lowered her head and slowly walked away…

 

“Joon! She’s ruining your life!” she screamed at him.

“Just let me do what I want!” he yelled back. “Why do you care?”

“She’s controlling you!” Minji stressed. “She’s just too clingy!”

Joon scoffed. “I like clingy girls! So just back off! It’s none of your business who I want to date.”

Minji cast him a hurt look and quickly pushed past him.

Joon grabbed onto her wrist. “Where are you going?”

Minji didn’t turn back. “Somewhere you can’t see me.”

“Who said I didn’t want to see you?” Joon asked gently. “Look, I’m sorry for freaking out like that.”

He saw her wipe her eye then shake off his hand.

“Minji-ah…” he stepped in front of her and saw that tears were running down her cheeks. “Minji-ah…” he said again.

“Don’t worry about me. Just go back to Hyuna. She’s probably waiting for you now,” Minji said.

Joon felt his anger rising again. “How can I just go off to her when you’re like this? You just cry, all the time now!”

She quickly wiped them away again. “I’m honestly fine.”

“Then what will you do when I leave? Go off crying to Chundoong??

She looked at him.

“Yeah, I know about that too,” Joon spat.

“I’m sorry,” she choked out between sniffles.

He softened a bit. “Minji-ah. Don’t cry. I don’t like it when you cry.”

Minji bit her lip and turned her gaze to the ground.

“You…like me, don’t you?” Joon asked slowly.

Minji took a deep breath. “”Don’t worry. I won’t be a burden and stop liking you now. Just pretend you don’t see me, and go off to Hyuna now.”

 

Lee Joon shook himself awake. He was sweating and panting. He could see Seungho sitting next to him with a worried expression.

“Joonie,” he said softly. “Are you okay?”

“Nightmare,” Joon winced. He’d been having the same dream since he kissed Minji in the park. The memories of that incident, nearly a year ago now, haunted him every night.

 

“Let’s pretend this never happened, okay?” he said, giving her a comforting pat on the back.

She nodded.

“Okay…then after today, let’s start over. I’ll be your nice Oppa again.” he gave her his eye smile and sent her off.

He watched her disappear into the elevator, and left through the front door.

 

Mir wrapped his arms around Joon’s neck. “Hyunggg. Let’s eat some ice cream when we get home! That always makes me feel better.”

Joon smiled weakly and nodded in agreement.

 

When their van pulled up to their dorm, Mir hopped out happily, dragging Joon along. Seungho walked behind them, laughing. G.O. waited for Chundoong to exit, and draped his arm over his shoulders.

Chundoong felt undeniably uncomfortable with G.O.’s arm dangling over him, but he shook off the feeling, chuckling along with their jokes.

As they arrived at the door, Seungho punched in the passcode, stepped in first, and made a beeline for the bathroom, followed closely by Mir and Joon.

Chundoong had got away from G.O.’s arm, and plopped on the couch, grabbing the remote. However, G.O. sat next to him, and his arm was…right where it started. Chundoong groaned inwardly and flipped through channels, trying to ignore the pressure on his shoulders.

He looked in the large mirror on the other side of the living room, catching his and G.O.’s reflections.

Suddenly, he felt a familiar feeling wash over him. This almost resembled…all the times Minji had received unwanted attention, but was too softspoken to speak up for herself and resorted to shrinking as small as possible. Chundoong would usually come over at these times, pretend he was her significant other, and drag her off safely.

Except now, he was the one needing rescuing. But where was his knight...er, rescuer…in shining armour?

Seungho had stepped out of the bathroom and made his way over to the couches.

“Help me,” Chundoong mouthed desperately.

Seungho chuckled, and sat himself right in between G.O. and Chundoong, wiggling this way and that to squeeze his in. Chundoong sighed in relief, while G.O. looked down into his lap, disappointed.

G.O. suddenly rose and shut himself in his room. Chundoong looked over in his direction guiltily and went into the kitchen. Left alone on the couch, Seungho sprawled out, lying comfortably.

“I’ll be back in a few hours,” Joon announced.

Seungho sat up. “Where?”

“You don’t need to know,” Joon replied and quickly rushed out the door before Seungho could say any more.

He drove madly to Minji’s house, while dialing her number on his phone.

“Jung Minji!”

“Um…Joonie, what is it?” Minji’s soft voice asked nervously.

“Come down into the lobby of your dorm in five minutes,” he ordered, then hung up.

She was waiting for him when he arrived.

He gave a jerk of his head and she took the signal, shuffling to his car.

She quickly climbed in and buckled up.

“Where are we going?” she asked excitedly. “Somewhere fun, I hope.”

Without a word, Joon just pulled out of the driveway and sped off.

They stopped at a playground, not far from the ramen store they ate at recently.

Minji jumped out immediately and ran to the swings. “Called it!” she sang happily and began to swing.

Joon took the one beside her and moved his feet around on the woodchips.

“Minji-ah,” he started.

“Hm?”

“I was thinking…did you really like me? That day at the agency…did you really like me then?”

“What?” Minji called as she wooshed by. “Say it again, I didn’t hear you!”

Joon repeated, louder, “That day at the agency…”

“What about it?” she asked, still swinging.

“Did you really like me back then?”

Minji let her swing come to a halt. “I thought we agreed to forget about that.”

Joon got up from his swing and walked behind hers. He pushed her gently.

“Did you really forget about it that easily?” he asked quietly.

“I still think about it,” she admitted. “But it’s not a big deal. I mean, that was nearly a year ago. I figured you wouldn’t remember.”

How could I forget? Joon thought.

“Then, like before, won’t you...like me again?” he stopped pushing.

Minji dragged her feet on the ground, stopping again. “Joonie…”

Joon swung the swing around so she faced him. He knelt down and looked her in the eyes.

“If you liked me once,” he said. “Can’t you like me again?"

She bit her bottom lip.

He took a deep breath and finished, "I...I like you."