The Letter

Coffee Shop

You looked up from your textbooks and stared outside the window, enjoying the serene silence that accompanied the streaming rays of the afternoon light. You swivelled in your chair, until stopping in front of the bedroom door, opening it before heading down the stairs to the awaiting lunch.

“Su Yan! You’ve got a letter!” Your mum called down the hallways of the house- you couldn’t even call it a house; it was more like a tiny flat. You looked up from the measly sandwich, and stared at the crisp white envelope that filled your mother’s frail hands.  Surprised, you quickly got up from your seat and took it gently away from your mother, ripping the letter with care. You skimmed the page and stared at it with wide eyes.

 

‘Seoul Performing Arts College would be delighted to accept your application as to having your education being taught at this prestigious school. We hope to see you on the orientation day. On this orientation day, you will be given your dorm room mate and number. We have included a note in which allows you to collect your uniform up at the shop located on the school premises.

We hope you attend this orientation day as many important information will be said to help you on your advancement towards going to college.

Kamsahmnida,

Choi Sung Kyu’

 

You stared, mouth agape, gawking at the written message, and nearly dropped the letter. I got the scholarship; I won’t have to worry about having enough money for my education.

Money was an extremely difficult task to obtain for you and your mother, so difficult that some days you would sacrifice your own food just to feed your mother. Your part time job as a barista, and your mother’s grocery job, was not even enough to pay the weekly rent comfortably.

“Umma…” You handed the sheet to her to read, looking away as she picked the paper from you. She scanned her eyes, and you looked on the ground, feeling the guilt eat up on you.

“Su Yan… That’s fantastic. You won’t need to live in this terrible place anymore. You don’t need to starve yourself. Why are you looking so glum?” She answered, gesturing to the dump behind her.

“…But umma. You won’t survive without me. Are you sure you can look after yourself in this mess?” You looked into her brown eyes as tears started forming. You blinked them back and moved your eye contact to the wall.

“Of course honey…I’ll just have to work longer.” She rubbed your back in comfort as you looked back at her.

“BUT I DON’T WANT YOU TO WORK LONGER. You’re working too much for someone your age!” You fought back the urge to slash at her. She looked at you ruefully, thinking deeply about the situation.

“…At least let me give you money each week. Ok?” You whispered as you sat down on the kitchen stool, sliding the sandwich to your mother.

“Eat.” You left the kitchen and ran upstairs to your room, immediately taking out the small luggage case you owned. Opening the closets, you took out the folded clothes and neatly packed them into the suitcase, sparing some space for your other personal items. You checked the date of the letter, realising you missed out one detail, and caught you off guard.

The orientation is tomorrow.

You scrambled from the floor and changed into work clothes, hopping down the stairs as you tried to tie your hair up.

“Umma I’m leaving for work. I’ll be home late!” You hastily closed the door and tore down the pavements, heading towards the café three streets away. You jiggled with the door lock at the back of the shop, and finally managed to prise the battered door open. Greeted with the heart-warming smell of freshly grounded coffee, you placed on an apron and walked towards the manager door. You knocked, waiting patiently whilst the buzz of the café whizzed past you.

“Come in.” You silently opened the door, closing it behind you as you made your way to the desk.

“…I’ll be doing a double shift today. From now onwards, I’ll also be doing double shifts at night.” You said hesitantly, fiddling with your fingers as the manager stared down on you.

“Very well. I expect well from you.” You walked out of the room and made your way to the counter, greeting the other staff members, walking towards one particular figure.

“Chan Young!” He turned around and pulled you into a tight hug. Ruffling your hair, he slowly parted the hug and grinned at you.

“How’s my dongsaeng? Do I have to babysit you again?” He winked and you rolled your eyes. Despite the sweet talk, Chan Young was almost a brother to you, taking care of your health and needs.

“I made it into college!” You blurted with twinkling eyes. A sincere smile graced his lips and he pulled you in for another hug.

“You go girl!” You laughed at his cheesiness, poking him in the chest.

“Ok ok, let’s get back to work…” You trailed off, and you soon left him at the counter, heading towards the coffee machines. You made through two hours, making lattes and cappuccinos until the sun was no longer to be seen.

“See you Su Yan!” Chan Young waved at you and you waved back in return. Glancing at the clock, you figured that you had another two hours to go, with you being the only worker left. You breathed in deeply, before releasing the gulp, and continued with your work.

 

oOoOo

 

You were about to close the shop when the sudden ring of the door caught your attention. Who could be up so late to come drink something here?

You stared queerly at the figure. Tall, fitted in a leather jacket and black jeans, bright emerald ha-

GREEN HAIR?!

You peered at him underneath your bangs. Who on earth? Only noticing the intriguing brightly coloured hair, you didn’t pay attention to the good looks underneath.

“One latte please.” A deep voice emitted from the unexpected guest, and you started working immediately. It’s pretty late for a coffee… You served the hot drink and he paid you, leaving a dollar tip. You flipped the ‘open’ sign and started cleaning the shop up.

“Sir, I’ll be leaving now.” You called as you locked the shop, leaving the counter lights onto cast a soft glow on the tables. You sighed in content, and made your way back home.

“Umma I’m back!” You shouted across the empty rooms as you closed the door with a soft sshink. Your mother came down the stairs, guiding you to your bedroom.

“It’s late. You better get some sleep. Remember you’re moving out tomorrow.” You obliged happily, falling into a deep slumber. 

 

oOoOo

 

“Su Yan! Orientation day!” A light shake on your shoulder caused your eyes to flicker in surprise. How could I forget?

“I’ll be right down mum.” You glanced at the time, knowing you had an hour to prepare before you departed the house for the year. You dressed yourself in a simple button up shirt, wearing a pair of dark blue jeans, before jogging down the stairs, tugging the small red case behind you.

“Su Yan. Eat.” Your mother pushed you the plate of food, in which you refused to co-operate.

“You deserve to eat. Don’t worry umma, I’ll be fine.” You replied while slipping into your shoes, rolling the case wherever you went.

“Mum, I’ll be leaving now.” You wrapped her in a tight hug as tears started to pool down her cheeks. You wiped them away with your thumb.

“Don’t cry… Everything’s going to be alright.” You whispered to her, giving a soft, sincere smile. You clicked the door open, and closed it gently behind you, thinking deeply about your new start. Calling over a taxi, you climbed into the car and read the directions to the college, dropping a few bills on the passenger’s seat.

“Kamsahamnida. Good day to you sir.” You closed the door with a gentle thud, and started walking towards the entrance of the awaiting series of buildings. You took a deep breath and steeped inside the college grounds, releasing the inhaled air as you stared at the neatly laid out surroundings. Glancing at your letter occasionally, you finally made it to the assembly area, in which another hundred or so students stood excitedly.

“Good morning new students. We are very happy to see so many of you already so excited to attend this wonderful college, and we hope you have a great time learning here. In the afternoon we will have talking sessions in which you will be toured around the college, and introduce any problems so far, but for now, we’d like you to find your dorm numbers. After noting you presence, you will be given your key, and during this free time, we would like you to start settling into your dorms.” The head of the college, Choi Sung Kyu, said through the speaker systems and you automatically jolted your head up. You headed towards the noticeboard which everyone else had already checked, and scanned for your name.

Dorm 5, with Seung Hyun? Who’s that? You wondered as you made your way to the registration table.

“Lee Su Yan.” You spoke clearly to the recording ladies as they noted your presence, handing you a key which you threaded through your key stack. You walked down the corridors of the dorms, until stopping in front of a door in which your eyes rested on the golden plated ‘5’. Taking your keys out, you inserted the key into the slot, twisting it until a sudden click and the movement of the door pointed out it was unlocked. You huffed, opening the door a fraction to let space for you to squeeze in with your case, before closing it just as quickly.

You looked around the room, noticing the modern furnishes that the room held. You fixed your gaze on the surroundings, until you noticed the sitting figure in the middle, crossed legs as he faced you.

“You look strangely familiar.” A deep voice came from the figure as you stared confusedly. He pulled down his hood, and you caught a glimpse of green hair, immediately trying to figure if you had seen the face before.

He looks familiar too. You looked at the strange hair colour intensely, before stiffing up as you realised who the person was.

He was the mysterious guy drinking coffee last night.

 

 


 

AN: Hello There! c:

So I'm starting a new fanfic series with my bestieee (yay) and she really wanted to do it on Big Bang.

I was like, seriously? But meh. She had the ideas. I wrote.

SO YEAH. C; I hope you liked the first chappieeee.

We will be updating on a weekly basis, as we dont meet up that often.

And yeahh. Subscribe, comment and upvote! xD ^^

Kookiesnkreamx3~