Sister Act I: The Prologue

In Her Place
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Reductio ad absurdum is a mode of argumentation that seeks to establish a contention by deriving an absurdity from its denial, thus arguing that a thesis must be accepted because its rejection would be untenable. It is a style of reasoning..."

Jaerin was walking alone in the school's hallway, back to her class before lunch ended, while holding on to her philosophy textbook. Gradually, she realized a group of girls walking towards her. She tried to walk even nearer to the wall than she already was doing, but one of them still managed to bang into her.

"Ouch!" the one who knocked into her cried out.

"YAH! How dare you injure Hajin?" the one who looked like the leader came up to her.

Jaerin was shocked, "I-I'm sorry..."

"Gyura unnie, it's really painful..." Hajin pouted.

Gyura turned back to face Jaerin, "is your spectacles so thick that you are blind? How can you hurt our maknae?"

"Yeah! You're so evil!" one of the other girls added.

"I... I..." Jaerin stuttered.

The leader interrupted her, "no use for more words. Give us money to treat her injury!"

"Are you girls new in school?" a voice called out from a distance.

The whole group of girls turned to the source and it turned out to be Chae Taeyeon, the queenka.

The girls immediately went silent.

Seeing no one answering her, Taeyeon continued, "if not, why did none of you girls know that you should never ever bully her? Unless you actually want to feel my wrath?"

"W-we... we're really sorry, Taeyeon-nim!" Gyura quickly bowed, with the rest of her clique following suit.

They then tried to quickly run away from the scene. However, Taeyeon stopped them, "don't apologize to me, apologize to Jaerin!"

"We're sorry, Jaerin-ssi!" they all told Jaerin in unison, then ran off, hoping Taeyeon would not remember their faces.

"Jaejae..." Taeyeon spoke softly once the girls were out of range.

"I know I know... I shouldn't just let myself be bullied like that, but Taetae... every time this kind of things happen, my mind just switches off automatically and I can't think of what to do... I'm sorry, having you to protect me every single time..." Jaerin sighed.

Taeyeon came towards her and wrapped her arms around Jaerin, "don't apologize to me, you're my sister... my twin, I'll always protect you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"JAEJAE WAKE UP! JAEJAE WAKE UP! THEN COME WAKE ME UP!"

Jaerin turned off her alarm, and walked to the bed right next to hers.

"Taetae... it's morning..." Jaerin shook her sister gently.

Taeyeon turned over and mumbled, "five more minutes..."

Knowing it would take her more than that amount of time, but not being able to do anything, Jaerin set another alarm for Taeyeon and went to do her morning routine. Within ten minutes, she was done, and went to the kitchen to cook their breakfast and prepare her own lunchbox. Only after she was done and had sat down to eat slowly, did Taeyeon wake up by the second alarm (and many snoozes), jump out of bed to do her makeup and hair, and hurry down to the dining room to gobble down the food. When Taeyeon was done with her breakfast, Jaerin had already washed all the utensils she had used. They then proceeded to head to the busstop, where Taeyeon meet her best friend, Kim Kibum, the only person who knew the two were related, and walk to their school, since it was within ten minutes' walk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Has everyone read the chapter I told you to?" Mr. Jung Jihoon, the philosophy teacher, asked.

The whole class mumbled incoherently.

He looked a little amused, knowing the actual answer, "okay, I might've heard a yes somewhere. What is reductio ad absurdium? Can anyone tell me?"

No one spoke up.

"I thought so. What about Jaerin?" Mr. Jung turned to her.

"errrm... The translation is reduce to absurdity. It is a type of logical fallacy that reduces an argument to absurdity, by pushing the premises to their logical limits and showing how contradictory the conclusions would be, thus disproving the argument," Jaerin spoke up.

Mr. Jung smiled at her, "yes, that's right... you explained it well, I get that you understood the chapter?"

Jaerin nodded, causing him to be even happier, "okay, now that I know most of you did not read the chapter, let's go through it today,

Please log in to read the full chapter