Every performance leads to another

Looking Back at First Love [ONESHOT]

I stood in front of Carnegie Hall. Take a deep breath, girl. You're gonna rock this performance. I clutched my flute case tightly, as I tried to calm down. Man, it was always like this when I performed, hyperventilating right before I got on stage. If I could only get reassurance from the only person who could calm me down during these moments...

*   *flashback*   *

We were eating lunch in the hallway so we could quickly go to music practice when we're done. Henry nudged me. "Look."

"What?"

"Over there." That's when I saw the plaque. Our faces and names were on it, as this year's most outstanding 6th grade musicians. He was holding his violin, his face serious as he bowed. My face was broken out in a grin as my flute rested on my shoulder.

"Wow."

"It's pretty beautiful," Henry agreed. "Music geeks forever!"

"Yeah!" We highfived.

*    *end flashback*   *

It's been years since I last saw him. The days where we hung around the practice room either composing, practicing, or just hanging around seemed so far away. As I hung around the warmup room, I tried to envision him settling into one of the seats, waiting for me.

We used to be close as brother and sister, attending each other's concerts. Those days are gone though, I remembered as I opened my case. Now Henry is a celebrity in Asia. When he performs, hundreds of people come to life as I sit quietly in front of a screen that separates us. While I feel like spouting hatred to the Only 13 chants, I am not too enthusiastic about the Strings.

Don't get me wrong, I all up for them supporting Henry. Sometimes though I feel like going up to one of them and asking them if they really know who Henry is and was, and how it was like loving him. I loved him as a friend, as a brother. He was my first crush. Every day I am reminded of him, especially at performances, like today.

Now and then he emails, but he never calls. His family often offers to me to go with them when they visit him, but I know seeing him would be no use. The past was the past, only a thing to look on and learn from. We're on separate paths now, different lives. It was inevitable from the start. I have to move on, but when I pick up my silver flute, I will think of my first love. And then I will play.