it's not really something you tell people

Mindtricks (And When They're Not Needed)

of flying paint and silent conversations

Woohyun didn't realise there were people in the art room he was passing until he heard someone speak.

'That's not the answer to the sum,' the lanky boy lazing against the window said, and the slight boy rolled his eyes.

Woohyun's forehead furrowed when he noted the distance between the two- there was no way the lanky boy could have seen the other's work.

'Whatever, you're so not better at maths than me,' the lanky boy sulked and Woohyun's curiosity overcame him. Pushing out the simple suggestion that he wasn't there, he stepped into the classroom and leaned against the wall.

'Wow, no need to be rude. Just because I'm right,' the lanky boy said after a brief silence, in which Woohyun was certain the other one had made no effort to communicate.

Another brief silence, and then a squawk of indignant laughter. 'Well now, that was just uncalled for.

The other boy seemed to glare exasperatedly ahead of him, and the lanky boy held his hands up.

'Okay, okay, I'll stop.'

The boy stared up at the ceiling for a little bit before peeking at the other boy, a sly grin creeping onto his face, and then his eyebrows raised and he let out a low whistle.

'That is certainly not maths, Lee Sungjong.'

The other boy- Sungjong- whipped his head around to glare at the lanky boy. 'Could you not,' he snapped.

'I'm bored, why are you doing homework!' the lanky boy complained.

'I don't care if you're bored, Sungyeol, keep out of my mind.'

'You just wanna think dirty thoughts in peace.'

Sungjong narrowed his eyes at Sungyeol, and Woohyun's attention was caught by a tube of paint floating above the lanky boy. The cap slowly unscrewed and an unseen hand squeezed and Sungyeol let out a high-pitched shriek as yellow paint landed on his head, his hand flying up.

'Not cool!' he yelled, seeing the yellow paint spreading over his hand as Sungjong chuckled.

Woohyun relaxed his suggestion and clapped, causing the two others in the room to jump and stare at him, before they both began speaking at once.

'Who are you-'

'When did you-'

'Nam Woohyun, I've been standing here for about ten minutes,' Woohyun said with a grin and a look of horror passed over their faces.

Sungjong swore under his breath as Sungyeol's forehead furrowed.

'What do you mean you found more?' Sungyeol said slowly and Sungjong's eyes widened as Woohyun laughed delightedly.

'You can read minds,' Woohyun said with a grin.

'What can you do?' Sungjong asked cautiously and Woohyun grinned.

'Aren't you wondering why you couldn't see me for so long?'

'You can turn invisible?' Sungyeol exclaimed, and Woohyun shook his head, grinning, and pushed the suggestion out again.

'I can see through you, this is weird,' Sungyeol said, and Woohyun relaxed the suggestion.

'Power of suggestion. You already know I'm here, so it's harder for your mind to accept that I'm not, which is what I was suggesting before,' Woohyun explained.

'Do you know how much trouble you could cause with that?' Sungyeol demanded, eyes alight.

'Do you know how much trouble you can cause with mind reading?' Woohyun shot back.

Sungyeol snorted. 'Duh.'

Woohyun's gaze slipped to Sungjong. 'And telekinesis?'

Sungyeol rolled his eyes. 'I've tried, Jongie's no fun.'

'I refuse to use my telekinesis for your juvenile pranks, hyung,' Sungjong said primly, his books slipping neatly back into his bag.

'They're not juvenile if they're amazing,' Sungyeol insisted.

Sungjong said nothing, just arched an eyebrow and Woohyun sidled over to Sungyeol.

'He's-' he started and Sungyeol nodded.

'I know. I've known him for most of my life and he still intimidates me.'

Woohyun blinked. 'I forgot you could read minds momentarily.'

Sungyeol snorted. 'I know that too.'

'This could take some getting used to,' Woohyun chuckled resignedly and Sungjong flashed him a grin.

'I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has to suffer now.'

'So,' Sungyeol started, turning to Woohyun with a grin. 'When are we gonna meet this Dongwoo?'

of falling stars and floating guitars

The school was dark when Woohyun woke up- he'd fallen asleep at the desk where he'd been studying, and while the school hadn't quite closed completely, it was deserted.

Woohyun blinked and rubbed his eyes for the umpteenth time, yawning and shifting his bag higher on his shoulder.

He stopped when he saw stars skitting out from under the a door, images of guitars and violins and elegant dancing couples rising up from the stars and fading away after a few seconds, the school corridors suddenly transformed into a wonderland as little birds flitted about. Woohyun shook his head- how tired was he?

But there was something niggling at him and he stepped lighter as he approached, a voice filtering through the door and becoming audible as a soft melody was sung, tinkling piano notes providing the backing, and Woohyun pressed his ear to the door, the blanket of stars at his feet swirling like mist. Too entranced by the apparitions around him (too entranced by the voice), Woohyun didn't even think of pushing out a suggestion as he cracked the door open to see  a guy sitting at the piano, his eyes closed as he sang softly.

The door creaked as he opened it a bit wider and the guy whirled around in fright, the idyllic garden shimmering in the room disappeared abruptly, and the guy swore.

'Who are you, what are you doing here so late?' the guy demanded, standing up and gathering his stuff, looking terrified.

'Nam Woohyun, I fell asleep at my desk, what about you?' Woohyun returned.

'None of your business. Why did you come into this room?'

'Because I heard a beautiful voice,' Woohyun answered back immediately, and I wanted to see if the owner was just as beautiful. He paused, and raised an eyebrow. 'Because there were stars and guitars filling the corridor.'

The guy's eyes widened and he looked as if he were about to jump out the window in a panic, and Woohyun pushed out a hasty suggestion, and the guy visibly relaxed a bit, a single star floating down from the ceiling like a feather and Woohyun watched it before looking back at the guy and continuing in a quieter voice. 'Because I know what it's like to be able to do something impossible.'

The guy’s forehead creased in confusion and Woohyun had a moment of wishing he had Sungyeol's ability to read minds.

'Why do you think you're so relaxed all of a sudden?' Woohyun prompted and the guy's eyes shot up to meet his.

'What did you do?'

'I didn't want you to run away, so I just... suggested that you relax a bit.'

'How would I run away, you're blocking the door,' the guy pointed out and Woohyun raised an eyebrow.

'The others seemed to be more surprised by what I could do, and you pick up on that?'

'The others?'

Woohyun shrugged. 'I know a telepath, a telekinetic and an empath. Kind of.'

The guy gaped at him and Woohyun resisted the urge to give him a hug.

'So, now that you know I'm not going to blurt your secret to the world, what's your name? Seeing as you already know mine,' Woohyun flashed him a grin, the tiniest suggestion leaking out because he just wanted this stranger to like him.

The guy's lips quirked up the slightest bit. 'Kim Sunggyu. Sorry for being so rude, I just-'

Woohyun waved a hand, cutting him off. 'Don't worry about it, I get it. The only reason the last lot I found didn't freak out was because one of them was the telepath.'

 

Woohyun paused and tapped his chin thoughtfully. 'Kim Sunggyu... isn't that the name of the student body president?'

Sunggyu laughed, pinprick stars falling like snow, almost invisible. 'Yes. That would be me.'

'I wondered what you looked like,' Woohyun said with a grin, feeling the urge to make Sunggyu laugh forever. 'I'm pleasantly surprised.'

Sunggyu's eyes widened briefly before curving into crescents. 'Thanks?'

'I would've thought the student body president having the voice you do would be something the school would know.'

Sunggyu bit his lip, his smile falling. 'Well, you saw what happens when I sing. It's not something I can really do for an audience.'

'I feel sorry for them,' Woohyun declared and Sunggyu laughed lightly, pulling his phone out and looking at the screen.

'It's late. Are you writing tomorrow?' Sunggyu asked and Woohyun nodded.

'I always end up writing on the last day of exams,' he sighed. 'Where do you live?'

Sunggyu raised an eyebrow. 'Why?'

Woohyun shrugged. 'Wanted to see if we're heading in the same direction. I'm adopting you as a friend, just so you know.'

Sunggyu laughed in surprise. 'Okay, I guess. If you insist.'

'I do,' Woohyun assured him.

‘So what do you do exactly?’ Sunggyu asked curiously, moving towards the door.

If Woohyun used a suggestion so Sunggyu would allow him to accompany him home, it wasn't anything important, really.