a something-to-believe-in

Mindtricks (And When They're Not Needed)

 

Mindtricks (And When They’re Not Needed)

Dongwoo realised he was different somewhere between first grade, when his father’s words glowed blue and Dongwoo knew his parents weren’t coming to his play no matter what they said, and third grade when the pale yellow of good intentions of his best friend’s promise faded into nothingness merely three weeks later, leaving him alone.

If everyone could see lies and lacklustre half-truths they wouldn’t use them, he reasoned at barely ten, recognising that other people obviously didn’t feel the difficulty he did when it came to colouring their words with anything other than the gentle white of sincere truth.

‘Such an active imagination,’ his mother laughed and ruffled his hair when he tried to tell her, and his dad just patted him on the shoulder and told him it was time for him to grow up, and Dongwoo decided he wasn’t going to tell anyone else. They wouldn’t believe him anyway.

But people lied too much, even if they didn’t realise they were doing it, even if it was something small, and their words were flimsy with insincerity and Dongwoo didn’t like it, couldn’t fight the suffocating uncomfortableness when he knew someone was lying, but couldn’t tell anyone how he knew this. So Dongwoo withdrew. Friendly enough, but no real connections, preferring to stay by himself, where words meant exactly what they sounded like.

----------

Dongwoo shifted, blinking his eyes blearily open as the sun streamed into his bedroom.

Oh hey, I’m sixteen today drifted through his mind as he stretched and yawned, rolling around in his bed, the morning hubbub drifting into his room.

‘Good afternoon, birthday boy,’ his father said over his paper as Dongwoo padded into the kitchen, and his mother whirled around with a squawk, a flash of silver-rose surprise around her.

‘No, no, no, out, I’m busy with you cake, out!’ she fussed, hustling him out the room.

‘But I’m hungry!’ he protested.

‘I’ll get your sister to make you a sandwich, you’re not to come into the kitchen until I say so,’ his mother told him firmly.

Dongwoo blinked at her retreating back and sat down on the couch, seeing no point in arguing with the white sincerity of her words.

He was up and dancing to a melody in his head when his sister walked out the kitchen, tapping him on the shoulder and making him jump.

‘Happy birthday!’ she told him brightly, handing him a plate with a sandwich on, which he grabbed eagerly, pausing to thank her before taking a bite.

‘The new neighbours moved in across the road,’ she told him, settling on the couch. ‘Unnie’s gone to go check them out.’

Dongwoo made a sound of mild interest, already half-way through his sandwich, and the door burst open, his oldest sister falling in with a bright grin on her face.

‘They’re great,’ she declared without preamble, ‘Oh, happy birthday, early bird.’ Dongwoo returned her grin sheepishly, and she was off again. ‘Okay, so there are two sons, and they are quite cute, but the youngest one is Dongwoo’s age,’ she told her sister, whose eyes lit up at this information.

‘Really?’

‘Well, a year younger, but close enough. He wants to meet you!’

Dongwoo blinked up at his sister who was grinning widely at him, his chewing slowing before he swallowed.

‘Uh… cool?’ he tried and she rolled her eyes, grabbing his arm.

‘Oh come on, you need to get out more, this is perfect, come, let’s go,’ she said briskly, dragging him towards the door, aided by his other sister pushing him along.

‘But I’m still in my pyjamas!’ he protested uselessly, squinting as the sunshine hit his eyes. He’d just managed to get his eyes adjusted so he could see more than a white blur when he felt himself being shoved forward with a loud declaration of ‘Woohyun, this is my brother, Dongwoo. He’ll be in the grade above you at school!’

Dongwoo found himself face to face with a pretty boy who looked slightly surprised, eyes slipping down to Dongwoo’s cartoon-print pyjama pants before reaching Dongwoo’s eyes again, and Dongwoo felt a slight flush in his cheeks.

‘It’s my birthday, I only got out of bed now,’ he said by way of explanation, forgetting all social etiquette, before adding in a hasty ‘I’m Dongwoo.’

Woohyun grinned, eyes crinkling. ‘Happy birthday, Dongwoo,’ he said brightly, ‘I’m Woohyun.’

 Dongwoo almost reeled backwards from the sudden pearlescent blue wave that washed over him, and he shook his head in confusion- he’d never encountered this colour before, this blue shimmering to look like white, the boy looking as though he was as confident as anything but tinged with the pale grey of shyness and Dongwoo had to close his eyes and press his fingers to his head as he tried to make sense of it, trying to make sense to the strange pearly blue waves trying to infiltrate his mind.

‘Stop,’ he said, mind whirling as he tried to identify it. ‘Stop… pretending,’ he settled for, and suddenly the pearly blue was gone and he opened his eyes to see Woohyun gaping at him with wide eyes.

‘How did you know?’ Woohyun breathed, his words golden with awe.

‘How did I know what?’ Dongwoo replied, slightly panicked, ‘I just saw!’

‘You saw my suggestion?’ Woohyun glanced around to see if anyone was in earshot.

‘What?’ Dongwoo replied, confused.

Woohyun grabbed Dongwoo’s wrist and dragged him off to a fairly secluded area of the garden, Dongwoo’s sister glancing over from where she was chatting to Woohyun’s brother and grinning proudly, while Dongwoo just felt incredibly confused.

‘What can you do?’ Woohyun demanded, his eyes glowing in excitement.

‘What do you mean…’ Dongwoo said slowly, apprehensive.

Woohyun rolled his eyes. ‘You told me to stop pretending, you can obviously tell my suggestions- okay, what do you see?’

The pearly blue wave washed over Dongwoo again, attacking his mind, and now Dongwoo could see the hints of illusion, the idea that Woohyun was larger than life trying to insert itself into his mind.

‘Pearly blue idea that you’re… I don’t know, super confident or something?’ Dongwoo tried helplessly and the pressure disappeared.

‘Pearly blue?’ Woohyun asked, his head tilted to the side in curiosity.

‘Blue’s the colour of lies,’ Dongwoo shared hesitantly, ‘but this one shines white. I’ve never seen it before.’

‘You can… see lies?’

Dongwoo felt his knees wobble, because there was no doubt colouring Woohyun’s words, only interest.

‘I can see feelings, I guess, feelings colouring words. What was that idea?’ Dongwoo asked.

‘Suggestion. I can kind of suggest things to people? I push out a suggestion and unless their mind has empirical evidence to disprove it it’s generally accepted. Most people think I’m super confident and stuff, because they see me how I want to appear. My own family thinks that. You’re the only person who’s ever told me to stop pretending. Which, by the way, I wasn’t, not really,’ Woohyun added, slightly defensive grin pulling at his lips.

Dongwoo felt a dizzy laugh begin to bubble up from his throat. 'You- you believe me?'

Woohyun grinned widely. 'With what I can do, it's not that much of a stretch. I knew there had to be more people who could do things, I just didn't know if I'd ever meet any, and now I have, and-' Woohyun let out an excited whoop and gave Dongwoo a quick hug, and Dongwoo let his laughter float delightedly around them. 'We have to be best friends, we have to,' Woohyun told him and Dongwoo nodded.

'Just please don't try to do the suggestion thing on me, it won't work and it makes me dizzy, it feels like something is attacking my brain,' Dongwoo told him and Woohyun laughed.

'I'll do my best, it's kind of become habit. Does anyone know what you can do?'

Dongwoo gave him a look. 'Did the 'you believe me' not give it away? I tried to tell my parents when I was little, but they didn't believe me, so I stopped trying to convince people.'

'Fair enough. Same here, actually. Kind of. I mean, I never really tried to tell my parents, because as it is I can generally get away with most things, and why would I give away that advantage, but. Oh, moving was a good idea, this is-' Woohyun seemed to be struggling to find the words, the air around him sparking with rose-gold excitement.

'Amazing?' Dongwoo supplied. 'I thought I'd have to go my whole life just.... avoiding people.'

Woohyun looked at him, vaguely concerned. 'You avoid people?'

Dongwoo ducked his head. 'Look, it's not like yours, I can't make people see me as amazing, I just see when they lie, and I don't like lying, it hurts, and it... makes me feel a bit sick, seeing how much people lie.'

'Wow. I can see how that would .' Woohyun's words were sympathetic, and Dongwoo looked up when his hand landed solidly on his shoulder. 'I promise I will never lie to you. If I do, you are free to call me on it, no matter when or where we are, or how many weird looks you get. I can always just say it's because you know me really well,' he said solemnly and Dongwoo burst into a fit of giggles.

'We've known each other for about five minutes,' he choked out, and Woohyun gave a half grin.

'Yeah, but you saw through my suggestion, so I'd say you're already right up there in the list of people who know me best. Not bad going for five minutes.'

The two spent the rest of the afternoon actually getting to know each other, and Dongwoo felt the wave of pearly blue that was quickly becoming familiar brushing past him when his sisters suggest Woohyun come over for cake and his parents eyed the multiple unpacked boxes dubiously and Dongwoo shot Woohyun a look as they crossed the road.

'What,' Woohyun defended, 'It's kind of their idea. I mean, they obviously weren't too against it, or they would have said no no matter how strong the suggestion was, I can't make a person do something their conscience won't allow.'

'What about all your stuff?'

Woohyun gave a half sly, half sheepish grin. 'I might have suggested it would be a great idea for them to ask Boohyun to unpack my stuff. I doubt he will, but he'll probably at least make my bed.'

Dongwoo had to laugh, leaning against the doorframe with helpless giggles, before his mother shooed him upstairs to 'at least put on some proper pants'.

----------

‘Have you seen the new guy?’

‘Nam Woohyun, in the grade below? Oh my god, yes.’

‘He’s so hot! And so awesome.’ A dreamy sigh.

‘Have you spoken to him?’

‘No, but he smiled at me. You can just tell, you know.’

Dongwoo ducked his head into his book to hide his snort of laughter. He’d passed Woohyun a couple times in the hallways, the younger boy always surrounded by people and Dongwoo would get a grin, eyes twinkling with laughter as he saw the now-familiar pearlescent blue, and he could only shake his head with a laugh. It’s not like Woohyun was doing anything wrong- he wasn’t really lying, just exaggerating the truth.

‘So, what, your dream is to be surrounded by adoring fans?’ Dongwoo needled amusedly as they walked home together after Woohyun had extricated himself from his gaggle of newfound friends, and Woohyun chuckled.

‘No harm in being popular,’ he replied, ‘Also, I got a date for this weekend.’

‘Already?’ Dongwoo laughed, ‘You certainly don’t waste any time.’

‘Probably won’t last much longer than this weekend,’ Woohyun admitted, ‘But she’s cute.’

‘How do you get away with that?’

‘I just suggest that they didn’t really want a relationship with me, I’m too… something to get serious with. I don’t go around breaking hearts or anything, but a guy has needs, you know,’ Woohyun said defensively.

‘I’m not sure whether to be impressed or disgusted,’ Dongwoo giggled.

‘Go with impressed,’ Woohyun told him, ‘My methods might not be particularly noble, but my intentions are.’

‘You don’t really believe that,’ Dongwoo shot back with a grin,

‘I try,’ Woohyun sighed and Dongwoo patted him reassuringly on the shoulder.

‘It’s okay, I see your intentions are good.’

‘Thank you for that, at least,’ Woohyun said before his serious expression dissolved into a bright grin.

It went on like that, Dongwoo slipping away from pearly blue at school but walking home with Woohyun, Woohyun telling him about his various dates and evening escapades until Dongwoo dropped to his knees and begged for him to withhold details because ‘I can’t look at him anymore, especially since I know you’re telling nothing but the truth, he’s in my class, I’m traumatised.’

It was just after midyear exams, after the pressure of studying had lifted, when Woohyun grabbed Dongwoo’s wrist in the corridor and dragged him to his lunch table.

‘I thought we weren’t going to socialise at school,’ Dongwoo commented as he trailed behind Woohyun.

‘That’s just because you don’t like my suggestions,’ Woohyun replied dismissively, scanning the cafeteria before waving and pulling Dongwoo along with him. ‘I think you’re getting used to them anyway, but I have some people you have to meet.’ He flashed a grin at Dongwoo before coming to a stop in front of a table with three people.

‘Guys, this is Dongwoo,’ Woohyun announced, ‘Dongwoo, this is Sunggyu-‘ Dongwoo vaguely recognised the other boy as the student council president. ‘-Sungyeol-‘ Dongwoo was fairly certain the lanky boy was the one known as the school prankster. ‘-and Sungjong.’ The last boy was a very pretty boy Dongwoo didn’t recognise.

‘Hi,’ he said, giving an awkward smile and a half-bow, and Sungyeol snorted after pleasantries were exchanged.

‘You didn’t even tell him why you dragged him here to meet us?’ he said to Woohyun, and then laughed. ‘Oh, mystery, keeping up the suspense, great idea. You should probably explain to him, he’s really confused.’

Dongwoo stared at Sungyeol, who was stuffing some chips into his mouth. ‘How do you know that?’ he asked, looking between Sungyeol and Woohyun suspiciously, and Sungyeol grinned.

‘You catch on quick. You’re right, by the way. I can read minds.’

Dongwoo sat down- hard- and Woohyun slid in on the other side.

‘Show him what you can do,’ Woohyun prompted the other two eagerly and Dongwoo had to laugh at the identical looks Sunggyu and Sungjong sent him.

‘We’re in the middle of a crowded cafeteria,’ Sunggyu told him.

‘At least no one was listening to Sungyeol,’ Sungjong added and Woohyun rolled his eyes.

‘Okay, fine, just tell him then.’

‘I still wanna see what you can do,’ Sungyeol said to Sunggyu, who looked surprised.

‘How do you know what I- never mind,’ Sunggyu sighed with a wry smile. ‘He’s not going to believe it.’

Woohyun raised an eyebrow and smirked before looking at Dongwoo expectantly.

‘I can tell if you’re lying. And how you’re feeling, I guess,’ Dongwoo told them with a small smile and Sungyeol held out a hand for a highfive as Sunggyu nodded.

‘I’m telekinetic,’ Sungjong shared, and Dongwoo couldn’t help a bubble of elation at the white glow of the words.

‘I-‘ Sunggyu stopped and looked at Woohyun helplessly. ‘I don’t know what I do- create hallucinations? Illusions?’

‘Sounds about right,’ Woohyun agreed and his eyes were alight when he looked at Dongwoo again. ‘Do you see why I dragged you along?’

Dongwoo laughed delightedly. ‘Yeah.’

It was the beginning of the holidays not long after and Dongwoo collapsed with laughter at the sight of a pillow beating Sungyeol around the head while he squawked and tried to shield himself.

‘Why do you always resort to violence!’ he yelped at Sungjong, who was idly examining his nails on the bed, glancing up at Sungyeol fighting off the pillow.

‘It appears to be the only thing that gets through to you. And besides, I’m not even hitting you that hard. And it’s a pillow, not a book.’

Woohyun peered in and Dongwoo saw pearly blue and the pillow returned itself to the bed as Sungjong let out a sigh.

‘Hi!’ Dongwoo greeted brightly as Sunggyu followed Woohyun in and he raised a hand in greeting.

‘Are you gonna show us what you can do?’ Sungyeol asked after the formalities were out of the way.

‘We’re the only ones here, so…’ Dongwoo trailed off.

Woohyun nudged Sunggyu. ‘Just relax.’

Dongwoo could see his customary tension give way to relaxation as he exhaled, and stared in wonder at the vortex of stars falling from his bedroom ceiling, bathed in a pale blue that Dongwoo was sure only he saw. He could hear Sungyeol and Sungjong let out quiet exclamations of awe, and Sunggyu let out a soft chuckle.

‘The stars are unavoidable, I’m afraid, apparently they’re my subconscious’ image of what relaxing feels like,’ Sunggyu told them.

‘Wouldn’t that get hard to hide?’ Sungjong asked curiously.

‘That’s why I take on so much responsibility, so I can’t relax. My control’s shaky if I’m not completely focussed on something else I don’t find relaxing,’ Sunggyu shared and Sungjong made a sympathetic face.

'Aren't you glad Woohyun found you singing, then?' Sungyeol inquired innocently. 'You don't have to worry about that around us, for one.'

Sunggyu narrowed his eyes at Sungyeol, who raised his hands. 'I'm just saying. I know you're glad to have met him. And us, of course.' Sungyeol's grin was smarmy and knowing, and Dongwoo glanced between the two in interest.

'Out,' Sunggyu told Sungyeol firmly, eliciting a chuckle from the younger, up until a small paperback fell on his head.

'That was not necessary!' Sungyeol yelped, glaring at Sungjong who blinked at him innocently.

'Thank you, Sungjong. That was satisfying,' Sunggyu grinned, and Woohyun looked at Dongwoo helplessly.

'Do you know what's going on?' he asked and Dongwoo shook his head with a laugh- he'd seen some of the feelings that flashed over Sunggyu but he wasn't going to attempt to untangle them.

'Oh, I don't know either,' Sungjong informed him, 'But I know what it's like to have him read your mind for s and giggles. I thought I should help out.'

'You would be on my side,' Sungyeol told him confidently and then stopped, Dongwoo laughing before the next words left his mouth. 'Okay, maybe not, but. That still wasn't necessary.'

This strange mixture of half conversations and flying objects became the setting for most of Dongwoo's time, glowing blue stars idly floating at his ceiling, sparking from between the glow in the dark ones already fixed up there.

'But hyung!' Woohyun whined as he and Sunggyu approached the lunch table one day, and Sunggyu just shook his head in exasperation.

'Sit down,' he told Woohyun affectionately, 'I'm going to get something to eat.'

Dongwoo hid a chuckle at the pink hue that surrounded his best friend as he watched Sunggyu walk off and Sungyeol glanced at him with sharp eyes.

'What? What did you see?' There was the briefest pause as a grin formed on Sungyeol's face before he looked at Woohyun and his face twisted into an unimpressed expression. 'Or not. Wow, you're pathetic, seriously, that's what you're thinking?'

Woohyun's cheeks were pink as he glared at Sungyeol and Sungyeol raised an eyebrow before recoiling. 'Oh could you not, I'm eating!'

'Don't read my thoughts if you're not prepared for all of them,' Woohyun told him and Sungyeol shook his head as if trying to clear water from his ears.

'I really didn't need to know what you think of Sunggyu-hyung's in such detail, like is that even appropriate thought matter in a school building,' Sungyeol returned and Woohyun flushed even more at the resultant howl of laughter.

'What's so funny?' Sunggyu asked, his return only heralding more giggles from Dongwoo.

There was a sudden frantic wave of pearly blue and Sungyeol just shook his head, grinning widely. 'Nothing,' he said cheerfully and Dongwoo had to stop eating for fear of choking at the relief rolling from Woohyun.

Woohyun seemed to spend most of his days after that glaring at Sungyeol and Dongwoo as they leered and giggled at him respectively whenever Sunggyu turned his back, and Dongwoo couldn’t help but ask Woohyun why he didn’t do anything.

‘I don’t know how!’ Woohyun complained and Dongwoo raised incredulous eyebrows.

‘Are you serious? I can’t count how many dates you’ve been on.’

‘It’s different! I used my suggestion for those, like, it wasn’t really me, and I can’t do that to Sunggyu, he’s too- he’s different, okay, I like him too much. As it is, I think I’ve used too much suggestion on him, like what if… I just want him to like me so much, you know, not… the me of my suggestions.’

Dongwoo reached out and drew Woohyun into a short hug and looking him in the eye as he spoke. ‘You don’t use your suggestions on him. Like, at the beginning, a little, but you haven’t for a while now. What he sees, it’s all you.’

Woohyun’s reluctance to believe him made Dongwoo roll his eyes and decide to leave it up to the two of them.

Mostly, was the amendment when Sunggyu pulled him aside one day.

‘I have a bit of a dilemma,’ Sunggyu told him, scratching at his neck. ‘You’re Woohyun’s best friend, right?’

‘Yeah,’ Dongwoo said slowly, getting a feeling of where this conversation was leading.

‘I- do I really need to tell you how I feel about him?’ Sunggyu asked, eyes hopeful as he looked at Dongwoo, and Dongwoo chuckled.

‘Not really, no. You glow as pink as a Barbie nightlight around him,’ Dongwoo said as kindly as he could and Sunggyu groaned.

‘Well, that’s just mortifying,’ he muttered, and Dongwoo patted his shoulder.

‘Don’t worry about it, I barely notice. He glows just as bright around you, if not brighter,’ Dongwoo shared and Sunggyu’s eyes shot up to his, almost gaping.

‘Just ask him out. He’s too scared to ask you out, thinks his suggestions have affected how you view him. They haven’t,’ Dongwoo hastened to add, ‘He hasn’t used a suggestion on you for ages- well, unless you count getting you to accept the last spoon of ice cream the other day, but I. Don’t, so.’

‘You think it’ll be that easy?’ Sunggyu was still hesitant and Dongwoo had to roll his eyes.

‘Yes, I do, please, ask him out, Sungjong’s the only one who hasn’t had first-hand knowledge of how much you two want each other. He’s had plenty of second-hand knowledge, thanks to Sungyeol, but… come on. You’re friends with a mind reader and whatever the technical term for what I am is. Just ask him out, okay, trust me on this one,’ Dongwoo assured him.

Sunggyu narrowed his eyes. ‘Has Sungyeol been reading my mind?’

Dongwoo eyed him. ‘Judging by your reaction to the idea that he has, I’m going to go with no, because he’s only been reduced to a twitching mess a few times and those were all definitely because of Woohyun.’

Sunggyu flushed red, his eyes squeezing shut and Dongwoo laughed.

‘I gave myself away there, didn’t I,’ Sunggyu muttered ruefully and Dongwoo nodded enthusiastically and Sunggyu buried his face in his hands for a few minutes before taking a deep breath and composing himself, giving Dongwoo a grateful smile before they headed off to rejoin their friends.

----------

When the new boy was introduced to the class, Dongwoo glanced up in interest, if only because he'd heard the boy- Kim Myungsoo- had skipped a few grades, and he was almost bowled over by the darkness that floated around the boy, the sadness that seemed to permeate his very being to the point where it was barely recognised as sadness anymore, just as being.

Dongwoo had to take deep breaths to compose himself as Myungsoo introduced himself to the class and bowed, and he'd recovered himself by the time Myungsoo had taken his seat, carefully avoiding everyone's eyes.

Myungsoo didn't speak, he never volunteered answers but no matter how of a daze he seemed to be in, when asked to solve a nasty equation that had the rest of the class stumped he had the solution in a matter of seconds and Dongwoo watched from a distance, his heart aching for the boy.

'Myungsoo,' Dongwoo called one day, and Myungsoo flinched before looking at him. 'Hi, I'm Dongwoo,' he said with a gentle smile that Myungsoo hesitantly returned. 'I wanted to know if you wanted to come sit with me for lunch.'

Myungsoo didn't seem to have the capacity to say no, and Dongwoo dragged him along without much protest, although Myungsoo clung his arms to his chest protectively when they approached the table and Dongwoo reluctantly thought that it was a reasonable reaction, what with the racket Woohyun and Sungyeol were making, with Sunggyu slowly knocking his head on the table and Sungjong looking on unamusedly.

'Guys, this is Myungsoo,' Dongwoo said loudly, bringing a halt to the raucous and they all looked up in surprise. 'He's new.'

Introductions were made and Myungsoo settled nervously next to Dongwoo and Sungyeol eyed him before his eyes widened and he shook his head.

'Wow,' he muttered, rubbing his temples. 'Hyper-intelligence?'

Dongwoo looked at Sungyeol in surprise and then back to the round eyed Myungsoo who was gaping at Sungyeol.

'How-' Myungsoo whispered and Sungyeol blinked.

'Oh. You didn't- Oh. Yeah, welcome, you've landed up with the people who won't even blink an eyelid because their is way weirder,' Sungyeol told him.

'That explains the odd purple when you solve equations,' Dongwoo said slowly and Myungsoo's eyes widened to the point Dongwoo thought they were going to pop out.

Once that was all cleared it was a matter of days before Myungsoo was laughing at one of Sungyeol's pranks as if there'd never been anything funnier, helpless on the table, and Dongwoo felt something ease as the sadness lightened a bit.

Dongwoo wasn't hugely surprised when Myungsoo knocked on his door one night, cheek blue and eyes rimmed with red, nothing compared to the dark cloud that followed him.

'I'm not Sungyeol, Myungsoo, I can only tell what you're feeling,' Dongwoo told him softly as he rubbed Arnica on the bruises. 'You have to tell me what's going on.'

Myungsoo worried at his bottom lip, and Dongwoo felt a tug on his heartstrings as he gathered the boy into his arms- intellectually far ahead of him, but sometimes Myungsoo just seemed so, so very young. 'You don't have to tell me if you don't want to, I just mean that I won't know if you don't.'

'Can I stay here tonight?' Myungsoo asked quietly and Dongwoo rubbed comforting circles into his back.

'As if I'd let you go home in the state you're in,' he told him, and Dongwoo had to bite back tears at the wave of exhausted relief that came off Myungsoo at his words.

----------

‘So, where do we wanna live?’ Sungyeol asked without preamble as the end of high school drew near, and the others looked at him in surprise, making him roll his eyes. ‘Oh come on, we were all thinking it. So where’s the X-Mansion gonna be?’

‘X-Mansion?’ Sungjong repeated, eyebrows disappearing behind his fringe.

‘Yeah, like Professor Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters. That’s basically what it’ll be like,’ Sungyeol explained and Sunggyu gave an incredulous snort.

‘Not really. Or at all, Sungyeol,’ Sunggyu told him with a laugh.

‘Okay, so you have a problem with the name, fair enough, the name’s not important. What’s important is, we’re all getting a house together after school, right? Everyone’s down with the idea?’ Dongwoo had to smile at the hesitant hopefulness highlighting Sungyeol’s brave-faced words, and he glanced around the room, his smile growing wider as everyone exchanged glances.

Once that was settled it was just a matter of finding a house, and Dongwoo almost couldn’t believe how neatly everything fell into place, and before he knew it, he and Myungsoo were carrying their stuff into the house, and on their first night they luxuriated in the idea that this was their space, completely their space.

Dongwoo grinned at Myungsoo and he swore he could see the last large threads of the sadness disappearing- there would always be remnants, but it had cleared so much, steadily lightening since Myungsoo had shown up on his step with a packed bag and told him the police were at his house, and his parents were gone.

‘They didn’t like my intelligence,’ Myungsoo told him quietly that night as they lay in the lounge staring up at the ceiling of their new house. ‘I couldn’t help it, I couldn’t help telling them when they were wrong, but I wasn’t doing it to show them up or anything- but they thought I was. I think it scared them.’

‘They’re gone, Myungsoo, you don’t have to worry about them anymore. You don’t have to worry about any of that with us.’ Dongwoo rolled onto his stomach to grin widely at Myungsoo. ‘Look at this. Look at how far both of us- all of us have come. We found each other, and in this house, there are no secrets. We don’t need to hide anything. Have any of us ever had that?’

Myungsoo grinned back. ‘Thank you for asking me to lunch with you that day.’

Dongwoo rolled over with the force of the sincerity and smiled. ‘Thank you for saying yes.’

Myungsoo’s brow furrowed. ‘Did I actually say yes, come to think of it…’

‘Details,’ Dongwoo said, waving his hand and reaching for more snacks.

Sunggyu moved in mere weeks later, waving the acceptance letter to his dream school down the road excitedly, images flashing around him in vivid clarity (always blue-tinged for Dongwoo) and Myungsoo chased the rabbits gambolling around the living room with delighted laughter, yelling ‘your illusions run away from me, hyung!’ and Dongwoo laughed.

‘Where’d the rabbits come from?’

‘I don’t know,’ Sunggyu admitted, ‘I think I saw a rabbit on the school grounds, I really don’t have an explanation otherwise.’

It was just the three of them officially until the others finished school, although Woohyun spent most of his time there and before Dongwoo knew it (surely years didn't go this quickly while he was still in school, did they?) Sungyeol was throwing the door open and demanding help with his things.

Sunggyu just looked at him dryly and Dongwoo shook his head, his body aching from the gruelling dancing practice he'd been putting it through. Myungsoo kindly offered to help, but Dongwoo was clutching at his stomach in pain from his laughter when they appeared again and all Myungsoo was carrying was a teddy bear.

'I can't make him do anything, he just looks at me with those eyes, goddammit!' Sungyeol complained from under the huge box he was carrying while Dongwoo wailed about his muscles protested his laughter.

Woohyun arrived the next day and Sungyeol called unfair as his brother appeared to help him with his stuff and Sunggyu shook his head despairingly at Woohyun's not-particularly-apologetic grin as he shifted his stuff over in the cupboard. Boohyun took one step into the bedroom and swept his gaze over the room, taking in all of Sunggyu's stuff and the double bed with raised eyebrows, and Dongwoo peered in in time to see another bed flicker into being before Woohyun nudged a panicked looking Sunggyu and there was a light push of pearly blue when Boohyun shook his head and eyed the room strangely before blinking and evidently deciding he didn't want to know (Dongwoo figured that was his reaction before Woohyun's suggestion anyway but decided not to voice this opinion when he saw the red tint on the couples' cheeks as they followed Boohyun out the room).

Sunggyu and Woohyun disappeared that night to a few cat calls from Sungyeol before the other three settled down to watch some tv, Sungyeol turning up the volume with a yell of 'We've got you covered!'.

They were all rather distracted by the small sparks that gradually built into a rather magnificent fireworks display a little later on and when Woohyun and Sunggyu eventually joined them a little later, the almost awkward laughter came with them, and Sungyeol grinned widely as he remarked, 'Nice fireworks, hyung. Must have been quite something in the room.'

'Oh god,' Sunggyu whined, his cheeks redder than Dongwoo had ever seen them as he buried his face in Woohyun's back. 'They spilled down here too?'

'Oh yeah,' Sungyeol confirmed.

'He has the most eventful orga-' Woohyun finished with a yelp and leaped away from Sunggyu, rubbing his back where Sunggyu had punched him. 'Ow.'

'I'm sorry, I don't have anything as subtle as suggestions,' Sunggyu said with a warning smile, embarrassment seeping through his pores.

'I guess we'll just have to get used to it,' Sungyeol sighed.

'The fireworks are very pretty,' Dongwoo conceded and Myungsoo nodded in agreement, curled up on the couch. 'We'll just not think further than that.'

'Thanks,' Sunggyu muttered sheepishly.

Sungjong was telling his parents not to bother moving his stuff further than just inside the front door two hours after he officially finished school and shooing them out the door with hugs and promises to call before Sungyeol was ducking and calling attempted murder by floating box and Woohyun just commented it was his fault he was so tall, and stepped out of the way of the next box that followed Sungjong up the stairs.

‘Since you don’t need any help unpacking could you be downstairs and changed in like ten minutes, we’re going out,’ Sungyeol yelled.

‘Aren’t you eager,’ Sunggyu commented and Sungyeol shrugged.

‘We haven’t properly celebrated the end of everything because we were waiting for him, so yeah,’ Sungyeol replied.

Dongwoo raised an eyebrow at the sparks in Sungyeol and Woohyun’s eyes but deemed it harmless enough.

He reconsidered this a little later when they sprayed Sungjong and whoever happened to be close to him at the time (Dongwoo and Myungsoo) with copious amounts of whipped cream, but considered it still fairly harmless as he the cream off his lips, even as Sungjong flashed orange-red and sent cake flying towards the other three, because seeing Sungyeol and Woohyun yell and scramble away from flying cake was a sight that would have anyone on the floor in stitches, Dongwoo decided helplessly.

‘I didn’t even do anything!’ Sunggyu complained, sponge cake and vanilla icing adhering to his cheeks and clothes while Sungyeol gave up trying to bat away the piece of cake mushing itself mercilessly in his hair.

‘Your boyfriend, guilt by association,’ Sungjong told him, wiping the cream off his face.

Sunggyu’s jaw dropped in indignation. ‘That is so not-‘ Sungjong didn’t see the handful of cake Sunggyu threw at his head coming, and the whole matter dissolved into a full-fledged food fight after that, Sungjong shrieking as Woohyun rallied everyone to pile up on him, whipped cream bottles at the ready.

‘How many showers do we have?’ Sungjong asked weakly as they made their way home, covered in confectionary.

‘Two,’ Dongwoo said resignedly.

‘We don’t mind sharing,’ Woohyun volunteered, his arm slung over Sunggyu’s shoulder and Sungyeol rolled his eyes.

‘Of course you don’t. I don’t wanna see any fireworks, okay, we’ve only got so much hot water,’ Sungyeol warned them with a wagging finger, and Sunggyu stuck his tongue out at him.

Sungyeol snorted with laughter a few seconds later and Dongwoo considered blocking his ears when Woohyun’s immediate reaction was to scowl and bleed pink-red embarrassment before Sungyeol opened his mouth.

‘ him clean wouldn’t be particularly effective, hate to break it to you,’ Sungyeol grinned and skipped out of reach of Sunggyu and Woohyun’s arms.

Dongwoo sighed happily at the warm colours that filled the house as everyone got clean and into their pyjamas, before settling onto the couch, arms knocking and the popcorn threatening to be overturned until Sungjong lifted it far above the chaos until they got all the blankets settled, with a brief moment where they realised they’d misplaced the remote somewhere in the mound of bedding, and then they were settled in, and Dongwoo could hardly believe how much things had changed since he was sixteen, mere years that felt like a lifetime.

----------

Dongwoo loved living with his friends, he really did, but they were also the reason he was now half speed-walking, half-jogging down the road, about to be late for work.

He appreciated the 21st birthday celebration breakfast, he did, but rather wished he’s thought to keep an eye on the time as well.

His next thought was that he should probably have looked where he was going as he collided rather painfully with someone, teetering with a squawk, arms windmilling wildly, before the other person grabbed onto him, keeping him upright.

‘I’m okay,’ Dongwoo said instinctively at the haze of light concern. ‘Thanks. Sorry, I should have paid attention to where I was going.’ He grinned up at the stranger and wow hi was all that ran through his mind.

‘No, it was my fault,’ the man assured him, still seeming to be checking if Dongwoo really was alright.

‘I promise I’m fine,’ Dongwoo chuckled. ‘Look, I’m really sorry again, but I have to go-‘

‘Wait, sorry, but I’m a little lost. Do you by any chance know where the Dragon Dance Academy is?’

Dongwoo blinked at the dialect-accented question. ‘That’s actually where I’m going, if you wanna walk with me. I’m a teacher there. Jang Dongwoo,’ he introduced, holding out his hand for the other to shake as they walked.

‘Lee Howon, I’m being considered for a teaching post there. I was beginning to think I’d never find it.’ Dongwoo found himself grinning along with the man’s relieved laugh.

‘Well, Howon, good thing I ran into you then,’ Dongwoo said with a grin.

‘Please, call me Hoya. I haven’t gone by Howon in casual situations for so long it almost sounds weird,’ Hoya told him with a grin.

‘I’m beginning to hope you get the job for some reason.’

‘Me too. What do you teach?’ Hoya asked.

‘Hip hop.’

Hoya made a small noise of almost surprise. ‘Same.’

‘You know you’ll have to do a demonstration, right? Show us what you got,’ Dongwoo teased and Hoya rolled his neck.

‘I’m ready,’ he declared and Dongwoo laughed, pointing out the academy as they approached.

Ready he was, Dongwoo thought as he watched the demonstration later, the other man hitting every beat with a structure Dongwoo knew he himself lacked, having always danced with a languid fluidity that was probably closer to contemporary than hip hop.

It was Hoya’s impeccable form that caused him to gape, if anyone asked later, but at the time Dongwoo wasn’t really focussing on his technique, his eyes following every tightly fluid body roll, every shard extension, every suspended moment where Dongwoo thought someone had slowed down time until the bass hit and Hoya was moving again, putting moves to beats Dongwoo could barely hear.

He had to shake himself out of it when the song ended and Hoya allowed his body to relax, grinning at the applause from the rest of the staff and Dongwoo grinned back widely when he caught his eye.

‘So what’d you think?’ Hoya asked, earnest curiosity colouring what Dongwoo would otherwise have pegged as a casual question.

Dongwoo shrugged. ‘Oh, you were okay,’ he replied nonchalantly and Hoya raised an eyebrow.

‘Only okay?’

Dongwoo laughed. ‘Okay, way more than okay. You’re really good. If Daeryong and Soryong don’t hire you, they’re idiots.’

‘It’s probably not wise to call your employers idiots,’ Daeryong said good-naturedly as he approached and Dongwoo looked at him with wide eyes.

‘It was a conditional statement,’ he insisted, ‘I’m pretty sure you’re going to hire him.’

‘Don’t you have a class of eight year olds to teach?’

Dongwoo glanced at the wall clock. ‘Yes, I do. I am almost a hundred percent sure I will see you around, Hoya.’

‘I certainly hope so,’ Hoya laughed as Dongwoo gave Daeryong an unbearably bright grin before skipping from the room.

Hoya was waiting for him once he finished his class, leaning just inside the door as Dongwoo rallied the kids into showing him the new move they'd been working on that lesson and Dongwoo only noticed him as the last of the kids gave him a hug before skipping out the class, chattering loudly in a way only young children seem to be able to manage effortlessly.

'Cute,' Hoya commented, as the last one trailed out, looking at him in unabashed curiosity.

'They are,' Dongwoo agreed, reaching for a water bottle. 'Didn't expect you to drop in. You're not taking my class, are you?' Dongwoo asked with faux suspicion, and Hoya laughed.

'No, I'm teaching the older kids. I just thought I should drop by and thank my unwitting guide for showing me the way to my new job.'

Dongwoo held out a hand for a highfive. 'I knew they'd hire you.'

'Hey, you wanna maybe catch something to eat? Or do you have more classes.' Dongwoo found the sudden unsurety that flickered through Hoya's words endearing.

'I would love to get something to eat. But, I kind of promised my friends I'd spend tonight with them. It's my birthday, you see,' Dongwoo explained regretfully.

'Oh! Happy birthday! I completely understand, no worries,' Hoya hurried to assure him.

'Thanks,' Dongwoo laughed. 'How does tomorrow sound?'

'I- yeah, tomorrow works. I have a couple introductory classes, so I guess I'll be here,' Hoya chuckled and Dongwoo laid a hand on his shoulder.

'Hoya,' he said seriously, 'I think this could be the start of a beautiful friendship.'

'Hey, Dongwoo,' Hoya called when Dongwoo was heading out the door, and Dongwoo turned around, blinking at him expectantly. 'You still gotta show me what you got.'

Dongwoo couldn't help the surprised laughter that burst out of him- and it was only when he was walking home when he realised that he had yet to see any blue colouring any of Hoya's words.

A few months later, and Dongwoo and Hoya were fast friends, Woohyun complaining that 'This strange man we still haven't met is stealing my best friend,' after Dongwoo got home late yet again after lesson planning with Hoya descended into a dance battle and then just messing around, Dongwoo lying on the floor, breathless, and admitting he hadn't had cause to let loose this much in dancing since he was still in dance classes at school and Hoya asking him to show him that new move he'd come up with.

Dongwoo walked into the house one evening only to be greeted by a highpitched shriek from the kitchen and an immediately following yell of 'Sunggyu, why are you thinking about giant spiders!', Sungyeol storming out the kitchen with a miffed expression on his face.

'Sorry!' came the call from upstairs, 'They're in the book I'm reading!'

'Stop reading it then!' Sungyeol yelled and gave Dongwoo a nod before leaping up the stairs three at a time- presumably to confiscate Sunggyu's book.

Dongwoo collapsed face first on the couch and let out a long-suffering sigh.

‘Kids give you a tough time or something?’ Woohyun asked, glancing away from the tv screen.

Dongwoo raised his head, not really listening to what Woohyun was saying. ‘You know, I’m trying to remember if I’ve ever seen him lie, and I don’t think I have? The closest has been sarcasm, and I don’t even need to see the colour to know that that’s not serious, and I just- he like never lies, and it’s weird, because I’ve never met anyone as blue-less as him!’

Woohyun blinked a few times before giving a nod. ‘Oh, Hoya, I’m guessing.’

‘Yes,’ Dongwoo whined, rolling and then flailing when he almost fell off the couch. ‘You should see him dance, he came up with routine today and it’s so amazing, the way he moves is incredible, the control, Woohyun, it’s like he becomes the music, but the sharper version of it, and-‘

‘Hyung, I don’t need to be able to read feelings to know you’re head over heels for him,’ Myungsoo commented from the other chair, peering over the armrest and Dongwoo made a half-hearted kick in his direction as his cheeks burnt red.

‘Is it that obvious?’ He looked at Woohyun imploringly.

Woohyun gave him a sympathetic smile. ‘Yes.’

‘You’re worse than Woohyun was about Sunggyu, hyung, no offence, I’m just saying,’ Sungyeol remarked as he clattered down the stairs, heading back to the kitchen.

Dongwoo narrowed his eyes at Sungyeol, noting his empty hands. ‘Didn’t manage to get his book, I see.’

‘That old man is wily!’ Sungyeol’s voice drifted into the room and Woohyun snorted.

‘I’m telling him you called him old.’

‘He calls him old to his face,’ Dongwoo pointed out.

‘Shush. Hey, when are we gonna meet this Hoya guy? Invite him over for dinner! I’ll cook. This weekend,’ Woohyun decided and Dongwoo looked at him.

‘To this madhouse? If you use suggestions, I will actually kill or at least injure you,’ Dongwoo warned, relenting after less than a couple seconds.

Dongwoo still had to kick Woohyun a few times under the table when Hoya did come over for dinner, observing the set up with almost-apprehensive eyes at first but withholding comment, and Dongwoo couldn’t help but smile when all apprehension melted away half way through the meal, leaving only relaxed enjoyment.

This was enough, Dongwoo decided, Hoya getting along with the other most important people in his life, being a part of their camaraderie was enough, even if he felt a slight pang of guilt at the confusion that filled Hoya as he left the house.

‘Sorry,’ he’d said, shaking his head, ‘I could have sworn I saw stars on the floor.’ A laugh. ‘It’s late, never mind.’

‘Well done,’ Sungyeol commented once the door had closed behind Hoya. ‘You manage not to give yourself away around him. I think you should.’

‘No offence, Sungyeol, but I don’t think I’m going to be taking your advice,’ Dongwoo laughed, even if the words glowed white. Dongwoo didn’t want to think about what that might mean.

Just as well, he thought when Hoya introduced him to Choi Sunye, who attached herself to his arm and Dongwoo suddenly had the vicious thought that pink didn’t suit her, tampering it down immediately in favour of a bright smile.

Sungyeol took one look at him and gave him an awkward hug, pulling Woohyun aside to tell him and Dongwoo had to laugh at Sungyeol’s awkward concern.

‘I’m okay,’ he told them, ‘It’s not the end of the world. You act as if I’ve never had a crush before.’

Sungyeol opened his mouth, and for once, Dongwoo was glad for the pearly blue that washed from Woohyun.

And he was okay, he was okay because Hoya was still happy, and that was the most important thing. He’d survive, but he didn’t want the air around Hoya to turn uncomfortable at any time, and if maybe he laughed louder than necessary sometimes, well, no one really noticed.

‘I can- I can tell if you’re lying,’ he blurted on night, already regretting accepting Hoya’s invitation to go out drinking.

‘What?’ Hoya asked the top of his bottle of beer.

‘I can see what you’re feeling. Right now- right now you’re confused, but you never lie, and the colour you go when you dance is amazing,’ Dongwoo spilled, and gave a hiccup. ‘I’m not crazy,’ he added as an afterthought.

Hoya blinked, took a swig of his beer, and nodded. ‘Okay,’ he said, ‘I believe you.’

Dongwoo almost choked at the white. ‘Really? That easily?’

‘I thought you could tell when I was lying.’

‘Just because I know that you believe me- why?’ Dongwoo couldn’t grasp the idea that Hoya believed him, just like that.

‘I trust you? I don’t know, maybe it’s the alcohol talking right now, but I think if you told me sober I’d believe you too. If Sungyeol told me that, I’d probably have a harder time believing him- if anyone else told me that, actually, but… with you? I’d believe anything you said,’ Hoya told him, undeniable truth shining through.

Dongwoo felt tears well up in his eyes and he threw himself forward to give Hoya a hug. ‘I feel so much better now you know!’ he wailed and Hoya laughed, giving him a tight hug in return.

‘Sungyeol can actually read minds,’ Dongwoo shared the next day, when Hoya checked he hadn’t been imagining the conversation the night before.

‘For real?’ Hoya laughed, and Dongwoo nodded.

‘Yeah. It’s annoying, but we deal. Myungsoo has hyper-intelligence, Sungjong is telekinetic, Woohyun has the power of suggestion and Sunggyu can create hallucinations.’

‘I didn’t imagine those stars the first time I met them, did I?’ Hoya laughed quietly, awe seeping off him.

Dongwoo shook his head. ‘No, they’re pretty par for the course.’

‘Wow,’ Hoya murmured, resting his head against the mirror in the dance studio they’d commandeered.

‘Thank you,’ was the quiet whisper much later and Dongwoo turned around in surprise, just making out Hoya’s silhouette in the dark room.

‘For what, turning out the lights? We’re the last ones in here, we kind of have to,’ Dongwoo chuckled, and Hoya shook his head.

‘No, for trusting me enough to tell me. It’s kind of huge, Dongwoo, I mean, I don’t know if I really know how to process it, to be honest, but. Just. I’m sure it’s not something you just tell anyone.’ Dongwoo could hear Hoya’s exhalations in the quiet building.

‘Aside from a few abortive attempts to tell my parents when I was little, and of course the other guys, you’re the first person I’ve told,’ Dongwoo admitted quietly, and his breath caught in his throat when Hoya pulled him into a hug, warm skin brushing his bare arms.

‘Thanks,’ Hoya said again when he pulled back. ‘For being you, I guess.’

Dongwoo curled around himself in bed that night, unable to forget the heat of Hoya’s skin touching his, and he felt guilty when Sunye flashed to the front of his mind.

‘How are you and Sunye?’ Dongwoo asked idly one day a few months later.

‘We’re okay,’ Hoya replied automatically, and Dongwoo’s heart sank even as it flipped at the blue tinge the words had. Hoya glanced at him and laughed wryly.

‘Okay, no. I’m okay. Sunye and I, as a unit? Not really okay. But I’m okay. Don’t worry about it.’ The words had no blue in them this time and Dongwoo hesitantly returned Hoya’s smile.

‘It’s been almost two years since we met.’ Dongwoo looked up, startled by the voice, distracted as he’d been by the river in front of him.

‘Two years to the day tomorrow,’ Dongwoo said, smiling as Hoya settled himself next to him.

‘I thought I’d find you here.’

‘I like it here,’ Dongwoo replied and Hoya made a small noise of agreement, staring at the water. Dongwoo took a selfish moment to admire the lights of the sunset play over his features before he reluctantly dragged his eyes away, watching the oranges dance on the gentle ripples instead.

‘I broke up with Sunye,’ Hoya said after a while and Dongwoo looked at him in surprise. ‘Remember when I said we weren’t okay a couple days ago? She was cheating on me.’

‘Hoya, I’m-‘ Dongwoo stopped, uncertain what to say, because Hoya wasn’t sad in the slightest. Relaxed contentment was the only thing surrounding him.

Dongwoo glanced down when Hoya’s pinky brushed his, and cursed at the jitter the light touch sent through him.

The sun was gone, streetlights flickering into existence around them when Dongwoo felt a light touch on his cheek, Hoya’s hand guiding him to face him.

‘Hey,’ Hoya said, soft smile in place.

‘Hey,’ Dongwoo replied, uncertain as to what was going on.

Hoya’s hand dropped slowly from Dongwoo’s jaw, Dongwoo’s skin tingling from the light trail it traced before landing on the grass again, his eyes still fixed on Dongwoo’s and Dongwoo found he couldn’t look away.

Dongwoo had lost track of how long they sat there before Hoya took a deep breath, as if preparing himself for something.

‘You know,’ he started conversationally, ‘for someone who can read feelings, you’re pretty damn blind.’

Dongwoo blinked, startled. ‘Wha-‘

He found he couldn’t continue with Hoya’s lips on his, and he sat frozen for a second before melting into Hoya’s touch, hardly daring to believe this was happening.

‘How- but-‘ Dongwoo tried when they broke apart, his chest heaving harder than after any dance session.

‘Maybe you just couldn’t see what’s right in front of you,’ Hoya suggested, brushing his lips against Dongwoo’s again, and Dongwoo choked out a breathless chuckle before reaching for Hoya again.

‘Where the hell have you been!’ Woohyun exploded when Dongwoo sheepishly peeked into the front door the next afternoon.

‘My phone died?’ he tried.

‘Actually, you left your phone in your room, hyung,’ Sungjong remarked, and Dongwoo’s mouth formed an ‘o’.

‘I wondered why it wasn’t blowing up last night,’ Hoya laughed from behind Dongwoo and the room’s inhabitants peered up in mild surprise, Dongwoo opening the door fully so he and Hoya could enter.

Sungyeol was the first to react, lifting his arms up from where he lay on the floor and clapping. ‘About time,’ he declared, ‘Bringing a muggle into the fold, are we?’

Sunggyu groaned. ‘Please stop using that term, Sungyeol, you sound ridiculous. We’re not wizards.’

‘How else do you explain what we can do?’ Sungyeol demanded.

‘Actually,’ Myungsoo started and Sungyeol groaned.

‘No, please don’t, please. Okay, I read your mind, you don’t have to say it out loud, I know now, okay?’

Myungsoo blinked at him. ‘But you don’t like reading my mind, you said it hurts your brain.’

Sungyeol waved his hand, not concerned in the slightest to be caught lying. ‘Yes, so please don’t say it out loud, because all my efforts to not read your mind in order to save my brain will have been wasted, have mercy will you?’ he pleaded, latching on to Myungsoo’s foot.

Woohyun gave a resigned smile, which grew brighter as he looked at Hoya. ‘We come as a package deal,’ he informed him, gesturing to the room at large. ‘You prepared for that?’

Hoya laughed, his hand at the small of Dongwoo’s back like it belonged there.

‘You haven’t scared me away yet.’

Dongwoo didn’t even try to fight the grin on his face as he pulled Hoya into the next room so he could kiss him properly, still elated that he could do that.

‘At least there won’t be any fireworks.’ He heard Sungyeol comment from the next room.

‘Fireworks?’ Hoya mumbled against his lips as Sungyeol let out a yelp in the next room.

‘You’ll find out soon enough,’ Dongwoo told him with a giggle.

Privately, Dongwoo thought he could sympathise with Sunggyu- although he was relieved that his fireworks were confined to his own mind.