Chapter 2

The Answer

Baekhyun stares long and hard at the notebook in his hands. He stares at the teacher who's opening his mouth like no tomorrow about Chemical Bonds and other..

"...... pieces of .", a voice says in a barely audible whisper.

Baekhyun turns his head and stares at the man in front of him. He had a beautiful pair of eyes that captured Baekhyun's attention. He stares long and hard then finally speaks.

"Mr. Beautiful Eyes, bad word.", Baekhyun says.

"Wha.. What?", the guy says, turning to him with wide eyes.

"You should slap your mouth. You just said a bad word.", Baekhyun explains in a serious tone.

"....Oh.", and the guy slaps his mouth for Baekhyun to see.

"Good!", Baekhyun says and offers the stranger a smile.

"Now, what did you just call me?", the guy asks amazed.

"What?"

"What did you just call me... Umm?"

"Oh! Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun. And I called you 'Mr. Beautiful Eyes'. Why?", Baekhyun asks in a tone which just exudes innocence.

Then the guy stares at Baekhyun and laughs at the man's nickname for him. He turns to see the teacher glaring at him and he quickly covers his mouth and mutters an apology before trying hard to stifle his laughter. He then pretends to write something and listen to the teacher while subtly moving closer to Baekhyun than necessary before saying,

"Hello Baekhyun. I'm La.. Zhang Yixing."

***********

Baekhyun bites his tongue as he tries to keep up with what the teacher was saying. He feels someone staring holes at his back and he turns, just to be pierced by Jongin's dark unfathomable eyes. He shivers and he quickly turns his head back to his notebook.

"Are you okay?", Yixing asks and places his hand on his shoulder.

"I.. I'm fine.", Baekhyun stammers. 'No. I'm not. Jongin hates me.', Baekhyun truly thinks.

He then remembers his first time meeting Jongin in the student council.

'Nope. I'm not fine at all.', Baekhyun thinks with finality in his 'mind'-voice.

********

"Well, this is it Baekhyun. My third home.", Changmin says as he gestures to the student council's office.

"I know. You sent me pictures of it this morning in case I get lost, you say.", Baekhyun replies as he rolls his eyes. His brother could be a dork sometimes.

"In case you forgot Baek, you DID get lost.", Changmin says with raised eyebrows.

"I did not get lost. I FOLLOWED a butterfly!"

"You.." but Changmin didn't get to finish his retort since a wonderful voice reaches Changmin's ears.

"Um.. Cha.. Changmin-ssi. I mean, Changmin-hyung.", a meek voice says.

Baekhyun turns to stare at a brunette who looked familiar. That's when Baekhyun's slow brain clicked.

"Ah! You're the guy Op.. I mean, Hyung was with in the clinic earlier.", Baekhyun exclaims as he points towards the direction going to the clinic.

The guy fidgets and Baekhyun quickly covers his mouth and asks, "Sorry. Did I shout too loudly? I didn't mean to.."

Changmin stares at the situation in front of him and something tells him if he doesn't step in soon, two college men are gonna cry in front of the student council's office right now or one would be crying and the other would either be fidgeting nonstop or running away. So, Changmin quickly clears his throat and tries to do damage control.

"Baekhyun-ah, you're Kyuhyun-hyung here is just a bit shy, okay? No need to worry. Why don't you go in first and meet Jongin. Kyuhyun-hyung and Oppa have something to talk about first."

Changmin ignores Baekhyun's hands which were trying to tell him to stop with the 'Oppa' thing because an outsider was present. He knows Kyuhyun won't judge him. But then Baekhyun stops his gestures when another light bulb clicks.

"Kyu.. Kyuhyun? You mean Cho Kyuhyun? THE Cho Kyuhyun?", Baekhyun exclaims loudly. Again.

Changmin stares at Kyuhyun who looks like he wants to hide in a corner even more. He looks at Baekhyun and then makes a decision.

"Look, wait for me okay? I have to talk with Kyuhyun. If I don't come back soon, just start heading to your first class. I love you.", Changmin says. Then he pushes Baekhyun into the student council's office and shuts the door with a short message to the person inside.

"Jongin, my brother."

***********

Jongin stares at the cute head staring into space.

'Cute? Did I just say he was cute? I mean think because I never said anything because ,obviously, I was thinking to myself. Oh! Shut up Kim Jongin!', Jongin argues in his head.

He continues staring at Baekhyun which then turns into a glare when he sees some Chinese guy chatting to Baekhyun. He thinks his name is Zhang Yixing but he tells everyone to call him Lay.

'Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun. Why do I get this weird feeling looking at you? I do not like this one bit. I think I do not like you at all.'

And Jongin remembers his first time meeting Byun Baekhyun.

**********

"Jongin, my brother."

Jongin stares at the "specimen" Changmin left for him which the latter introduced as his brother.

'Is Changmin sure this is his brother? Isn't he a puppy?'

"Hello! I'm Byun Baekhyun." and Jongin stares at the hand being offered up to him, wondering if it would suddenly turn into a paw.

"Hello Baekhyun. I'm Jongin. Kim Jongin.", and as Jongin takes Baekhyun's hands, he feels them going sweaty so he quickly lets go. He proceeds to his desk and starts reading through the files on his table.

"So.. What are you doing?", Baekhyun says when the silence gets to him.

"Making a report on our finances."

"Why? Where's the treasurer?"

"We don't have any."

"How about an auditor?"

"None."

"A secretary?"

"None."

"Really?!"

"Baekhyun, do you know nothing about the school? Haven't you read the handbook? Didn't you listen to the orientation?", Jongin says, slowly getting irked.

Baekhyun bows down his head, just like how he does when his mother scolds him.

"I'm sorry. I don't know much. I haven't read the handbook because Changmin-oppa told me not to cause he will teach me about the school all by himself. Today, to be exact. To be specific, right now. And I couldn't come to the orientation because I had colds and Changmin-oppa didn't let me go though I insisted I was fine because he was scared I would die, faint, have blurry eyesight and get hit by a truck."

Jongin lifts his head and stares at Baekhyun. "Oppa?"

And yes, that was the only thing he found important at the moment.

"Yes. Oppa. Omo! I mean hyung! Changmin-hyung! I said hyung! Your ears weren't sewn right!"

Baekhyun panics and he quickly leans on Jongin's desk and covers his ears while shouting at the same time, "Hyung! Hyung! I said Changmin-hyung!"

Jongin freezes in his spot. He doesn't really hate skinship. It's just that for someone he just met, Baekhyun sure is sticking close to him. Too close. So close. He coughs away the awkward air and basically signals Baekhyun to move away. But Baekhyun was either too dense or just stupid because he doesn't move away and instead leans his face closer to Jongin's and mouths, "I said hyung okay?"

Jongin stiffly smiles and pries Baekhyun's hands off him. Then gently but swiftly pushes his face and his body off his desk.

"Look. It's okay. So Oppa huh? I bet that was Changmin's idea."

"Haha. Yeah. All my life he taught me that I should call him 'Oppa'. But when I got to kindergarten, I learned that Changmin-oppa taught me the wrong thing, the hard way. I got teased and when Changmin-oppa knew what they were doing to me, he made them stop and told me to stop calling him 'Oppa' so I wouldn't get bullied. He cried for the very first time in front of me and said that it was all his fault. When I saw how sad he looked when he said that, I felt my heart clench. So I made a deal that I'll call him 'Oppa' in private. That dumb smile on his face was worth it.", Baekhyun fondly reminisces.

Jongin stares at Baekhyun. 'Huh! A er for his brother as well, I see.' He smiles to himself and decides to change the topic.

"In the student council, we only have two members: the President and the Vice-President. We take all the roles. The school tortures, I mean trains us, the voted ones, for the tough competitive world this way."

"Well, are you okay?"

Jongin raises his head and just stares. "What?"

"I asked if you were okay. You know, with all the jobs you have to handle?"

Jongin stares more at Baekhyun who was standing right in front of him, offering him the brightest smile he has ever seen. 'Are you okay?'. It was such a simple question but to Jongin it was never asked enough. Jongin turns back to his papers and answers.

"Yeah.. I am."

"You know what Jongin? We're alike in a way."

"And how would that be?"

"I'm a terrible liar..."

"Are you saying?!"

"Yup. You're a terrible liar too."

And Jongin hears Baekhyun laugh. But then the laugh subsides and Jongin hears Baekhyun dragging the chair to sit beside him.

"You want me to help you? I'm pretty good at working too."

Jongin highly doubts that. Just like Baekhyun said, he was a terrible liar. But before Jongin could protest, Baekhyun starts taking the papers and reading them.

"So..... You're the vice president. It must be hard working with my brother.", Baekhyun says casually.

Jongin doesn't answer. He just had a tug-of-war with Baekhyun over the papers. And he lost to Baekhyun's puppy eyes. Baekhyun says he doesn't want to return the papers because he wanted to help. Jongin almost lost his temper at someone who was so stubborn other than Changmin. So he decided to keep quiet in order to not let his emotions get the best of him. But Baekhyun was anything but persistent.

"Hey Jongin, what's your parents' names?"

Jongin holds the pen tighter in his hands.

"Jongin, is this okay?"

Jongin bites his lips.

"Jongin, the pen stopped working."

Jongin takes a deep breath.

"Hey Jongin.."

Then Jongin hears a crash.

Jongin stares at Baekhyun and then at his favorite mug, well pieces of what it used to be, on the floor. He then looks at Baekhyun once again who was gaping like a fish, who then quickly kneeled on the floor.

"Jo.. Jongin, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to. I..."

 "Look! I'm really pissed off right now! So get out! Out! Now! Go to your class or whatsoever! I don't need you lurking around here and messing up my day!"

"But Changmin-oppa told me to wait for him here. And it isn't that late yet. It's still too early for my first class."

"I. DON'T. ING. CARE. JUST. LEAVE.I. DON'T. WANT. YOU. HERE.", Jongin says as he picks up the pieces on the floor.

"Jongin, bad word.", Baekhyun absentmindedly says in the middle of the chaos.

Jongin glares at Baekhyun. Baekhyun who calmly invaded his personal space. Baekhyun who annoyed him with consistent chatter. Baekhyun who broke his favorite mug. Baekhyun who asked about his welfare. Baekhyun who made him feel unusual. Baekhyun who scares him. Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun!

"Jongin. I'm sorry." Baekhun fearfully says.

"I don't need your sorry Baekhyun. I don't need your presence. What I need from you right now.. No! Scratch that! Not only right now but for the rest of my life is your absence. ABSENCE."

Jongin looks up, ready to stab more knives into Baekhyun when he sees tears gathering in Baekhyun's eyes.

'!' he thinks to himself. He was about to stand up and try to talk to Baekhyun more calmly and offer an apology for his outburst when his sudden movement causes Baekhyun to move and say,

"I'm sorry. I really didn't mean to. I'll leave now." and Baekhyun quickly tries to pick up his things but then he grimaces. Then he quickly goes back to Jongin and places the pieces of broken shards in his hand inside the trashcan near Jongin's desk. Jongin then sees a trail of blood in Baekhyun's hands and knows he's been injured. He stands up and calls Baekhyun.

"Look. Baek.." but he couldn't finish his sentence. Baekhyun turns to bow to him, then he quickly leaves the room and out the door.

Jongin stares at the closed door in front of him. He then remembers how Baekhyun walked. Was he limping? And his hand was injured too. '. Stupid Jongin.', he berates himself.

Jongin goes back to his desk and buries his head in his hands.

'What am I gonna do? This is the first time this ever happened to me. I acted so irrationally. I can't believe this. I hurt him as a result.', Jongin thinks in despair.

***********

Jongin stares at the pair of heads right in front of him a couple of tables and two columns away from him again. They were chatting up a storm.

"Aren't they listening to the teacher? What did they come here to school for? To meet each other? Do they believe they're soulmates? Are they kidding me? They should stop talking and start listening! Screw that Lay-person. I'd like to eat him to pieces till he's just a tiny unicorn I'm gonna have fun munching him right in front of Baekhyun's face. And why the hell is Baekhyun smiling and laughing at him? I thought he was injured. He should be in pain and he should be crying right now for music sake! I mean I don't want that but logically that is what should be happening given the past incident! ARGH! Damn it!", Jongin mutters to himself.

He stares at the way Baekhyun stares innocently at the ugly unicorn Lay which was such a fine contrast to the way Lay stared at him (or so Jongin thinks. This man argues he was staring googly-eyed at Baekhyun).

And right there and then, Jongin finally concludes that Baekhyun was a dangerous person. A very dangerous person.

 

*******************************************************************************************************************************

 

So.. how was it? Is it bitter? I'm scared it's bitter. Huhu. My creative juices are not flowing very well I know they weren't from the very start but now they're worse than before huhu. Do you think I should like bury myself? Please forgive me.

I have this whole lot of ideas but the problem is how to express them. I don't know what to do anymore. I think a book should just crush me. Oh wait! That would be too much of an honor. :'(((

I love all subcribers. And readers (I'll love you lots and lots more if you subscribe. hehe. jst kidding. no seriously, try. It's like two clicks from here. press the foreword then subscribe.)  Hahaha. :))

Do comment and subscribe. Make suggestions. They are alwayss appreciated. I'm grateful to every one of them. I swear. i read them over and over again whenever I open aff. And then I scroll through my subscribers and feel elated. Every single time. :D

Thank you everyone! :) (This sounds like a goodbye message. HAHAHA. Screw my random mind. :/)