Broken Dreams

Broken Dreams

How can you mend something that is already broken?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Seohyun-ssi, we’re closing” Kris reminded the girl sitting by the window. He was the owner of the place and every time he visited there, he always found her sitting on the same seat. Her eyes were always glued outside the window, watching the people pass by.

 

According to his employees, she would arrive there already noon and would leave late at night. The coffee she ordered would be left cold and untouched that it seemed she just wasted her money.

 

If he hadn’t had the guts to talk to her yesterday and ask for her name, he would’ve never got to talk to the silent beauty.

 

“Give me 5 more minutes” She said. He watched her, her eyes were puffy like she’d been crying. He couldn’t help himself but sit on the vacant seat in front of her.

 

He looked out the window too. What could she be looking at? That’s when his eyes landed to the couple on the opposite side. His eyes remained on the girl as his jaw fell. She looked like Seohyun! She had the same beautiful brown eyes but instead of straight long raven black hair, she had luscious curly brown hair. She was holding hands with a tall guy. The guy was about his height if he had to calculate. He had black hair and a smile that Kris envied.

 

His eyes went back on Seohyun. She was crying! Tears stained her pretty face as she muffled out a soft “I hate you”.

 

He reached out for her hand which was on the desk and grabbed it. Holding it not too tight, he showed his sympathy.

 

“If it hurts you, then don’t look” He uttered.

 

Seohyun looked at him, her eyes were lifeless. She pulled her hand from him and wiped away her tears.

 

“Kris-ssi, don’t act like you know me. Don’t act like you know my pain” Seohyun packed her stuff and then silently stood up. She then walked and all Kris could do was stare at the poor girl.

 

“Seohyun-ssi” He called.

 

Seohyun stopped on her tracks. Her back still faced him.

 

“I might not know what you feel. I might not know what happened. But I want you to know, that guy is not worth your precious tears” Kris stood up from his seat. He could feel her sadness, the pain she’s been hiding. And what moved him most was the part that she was strong enough to face something that could hurt as hell.

 

He could hear Seohyun sobbing like there was no tomorrow.

 

“She’s my twin” She started and Kris stood there to listen. “He used me to get to her. And I thought……. I thought he was sincere. I thought he loved me. I’m an idiot. I expected too much. It was like a dream.. A broken one”

 

Seohyun lost her grip on her bag and it fell down the wooden floor. She covered her face, she was angry, she was hurt.

 

She felt hands encircle around her waist, embracing her. Oddly, it felt endearing. It felt different.

 

“Let it all out” He whispered. She couldn’t help but cry more. He was right. She should let it all out.

 

“You could always make new dreams” Kris tightened his arms around her, meaning every word he says.

 

 

 

 

 

The next days, Kris didn’t get to see Seohyun. She wasn’t there like she always used to. Her seat was empty. He wondered. Maybe she felt like she needed a break from everything or maybe she felt like he was being too much. They were strangers after all.

 

“Boss” Lay called him.

 

“Yup?”

 

“You look like an empty shell” Lay handed him a piece of the red velvet cake.

 

“Do I?” He looked at the cake. It looked so delicious but he wasn’t feeling hungry.

 

“You’ve been looking at Seohyun-ssi’s seat” Lay uttered.

 

Kris’ lips formed into a forced smile.

 

“Hey Lay, have you ever felt that you miss someone you just met and knew about?”

 

Lay shrugged.

 

“Is it because of Seohyun-ssi?”

 

Kris took the fork placed beside the cake and took a huge bite.

 

“This tastes good. Tell D.O he should cook more of these” He changed the subject. Lay understood and just left the older guy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

All his other employees/friends already left since it was Friday and the boys always loved to hang out. Kris stayed behind to close his coffee shop. He made an excuse of being tired and wanting to sleep early but what he really wanted to do that evening is sulk in his apartment, drinking wine, and watch those love sick movies. His heart felt heavy and doesn’t know why.

 

He checked the windows and when he was sure they were locked, he proceeded to check the backdoor then to his office. When he was sure his task was done, he went to the tables. They were all clean and the floor was well swept. His feet then led him to the place where she usually sits at, by that window. He brought himself to sit on the chair she sat and he looked outside.

 

All he could see was the world moving.

 

The door creaked. Kris sighed, maybe it was Lay. He always the one to forget things and come back.

 

“Lay, whatever it is, you better hurry. The shop is closing!” His eyes were still focused outside.

 

He heard a soft giggle. His eyes widened and he turned around.

 

“Hi” He was greeted with a girl’s smiling face. What he once thought was a lifeless being has been turned into a lady bursting with colours.

 

“Hi” He blushed.

 

She walked towards him and stopped right in front of him.

 

“I was wondering…. Would you like to hang out and have coffee with me?” Seohyun asked, her face was all red that Kris found it cute.

 

Kris smiled as he stood up from his seat.

 

“Well, I never thought you’d ask” His heart leapt. So this is what it feels to have someone. Now he knew.

 

Seohyun smiled at him. She held out her hand.

 

“I’m Seohyun. I’m 23 years old. I’m a fan of sweet potatoes, books, and Keroro. I broke my heart because I was assuming and I don’t like that to happen again. I know this is too sudden but I want to be honest, I’d like to make new dreams with you, that is, if you want me to”

 

Kris took her hand and kissed the back of it.

 

“The name is Kris. I’m 24 years old. I love basketball , food, and books. I had a crush on you since the first time I met you and I don’t wanna lie. I like you a lot” He then touched Seohyun’s face “And I’d LOVE to make new dreams with you”