Bedtime Stories

Spring
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Kwang Soo-ah, you are really good with kids!” Ji Hyo remarked, expressing her surprise over the younger man's connection with children.

 

They had spent the afternoon exploring the beach and building sand castles with the local kids, and were now having dinner. Since it was a rather chilly night, they shared a pot of seafood stew. The spicy broth and fresh seafood warmed their bodies and lifted their spirits, and conversation flowed between them.

 

Kwang Soo scratched the back of his head self-consciously. “Am I? Well I guess it's because I have a lot of young cousins. Noona, you're pretty good with children yourself! I think you would make a great mother some day.” He commented.

 

Ji Hyo smiled at the compliment, but her thoughts suddenly turned to how awkward and stiff Chang Joo was with children. “Maybe... If I decide I want to be a mother.” She murmured wistfully.

 

Kwang Soo glanced over, a curious expression on his face.

 

“I like kids and I hope to be a mother... Some day... It's just, it's just that Chang Joo oppa doesn't seem to be the warm, interactive fatherly type. I feel that he would expect me to take on all the responsibility of raising children. Ideally, if I were to decide to be a mother, I want someone who would take an active role in raising kids. I'd like for my child's father to be a hands-on dad. So I don't know... He wants children, but I'm just not sure.” She elaborated.

 

Looking over at the younger man, Ji Hyo felt bad to be imposing her thoughts on him. “I'm sorry. I shouldn't be burdening you with my problems.” She apologised.

 

Kwang Soo smiled kindly at her. “Noona, like I've said before, I may not have the answers to your problems, but I will gladly lend both my ears to listen to them. If talking about them makes you feel better, please feel free to share it with me.”

 

His honesty and sincerity touched her. She felt safe and comfortable with him. Like she could share all her problems with him and he would never judge or betray her.

 

 

Kwang Soo was reading a book before bed when he heard his phone beeped. Checking it, he saw it was a message from Ji Hyo.

 

Ji Hyo: Kwang Soo-ah, noona brought a bottle of soju. Since it is still early, would you like to come over and have a drink before turning in?

 

His heart skipped a beat. He knew it shouldn't and he willed himself to calm down before replying.

 

Kwang Soo: Sure, noona. I've got some chips, I'll bring them over.

 

Five minutes later, Ji Hyo heard a knock on her door. Knowing that it was Kwang Soo, she smiled as she got off the bed and opened the door to let him in. As he entered, he looked around the room. He noted that she had placed her overnight bag on the only available chair in the room, so he sat on the floor next to the bed, leaning his back against it. The room smelt like her and her scent filled his nose and intoxicated him.

 

Ji Hyo smiled at how polite and considerate he was being. She rummaged through her bag and pulled out a bottle of soju. She grabbed 2 cups from the table before plopping herself on the bed. She scooted over to the far corner, patting the empty spot next to her. “Kwang Soo-ah, come sit on the bed. It'd be more comfy.” She invited. “Ya! Lee Kwang Soo! Get your mind out of the gutter! I'm just asking you to take a seat on the bed where it's more comfortable! Don't turn something so innocent into something that's not!!” She scolded playfully at the sight of his raised eyebrow.

 

Kwang Soo gave a small yelp and hopped up next to her. He looked at her from under his lashes. “Ji Hyo noona, I wasn't thinking anything along those lines. I respect you too much for that. I was just thinking if it would be proper to be so close to you. After all, we are just friends, and noona belongs to someone else.” He murmured. Friends. He never knew the word could pain him so much.

 

Ji Hyo caught the pained expression on his face, but mistook it to mean that he was hurt that she had scolded him. “Kwang Soo, I'm sorry. I didn't mean it that way, I was just teasing you. You're always so polite and considerate to me. I'm so thankful for having you in my life.” She said, smiling gratefully at him.

 

Kwang Soo blushed at the compliment. Maybe he would never be anything more than a friend to her but it was ok. Seeing her smile at him, for him, knowing that she was thankful to have him in her life, and that she was happy meant more to him at the moment than anything else.


Lao Tzu once said: To love someone gives you strength. Loving Ji Hyo noona gives me the strength to accept and be at peace that she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter