Realisations

Spring
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Ji Hyo re-emerged from her room with a fresh shirt, she found Kwang Soo cleaning up the table. Earlier, while force feeding him, the older lady had dripped ddeokbokki sauce all over her table and floor, some of it even managing to end up on her shirt. She smiled at his thoughtfulness before glancing at her watch. “Kwang Soo-ah. It's already 9am, by the time we get there it'd be close to lunch already. We won't have much time to hike.” She said.

 

Kwang Soo was sure she was going to cancel their planned hiking trip and tried to mask the disappointment he felt by concentrating on a stain on the floor. Which was why he was caught unprepared by her next question. “Are you doing anything tomorrow? I thought we could drive out of Seoul, stay a night near Mount Seorak, head out hiking early in the morning, and be back in Seoul by evening.” She suggested.

 

“Ermm, no I'm free tomorrow. Yeah, noona. That sounds like a great idea! We could have a seafood dinner since the town is near the sea! I have extra clothes in my car, so I'm set!” He replied, smiling at the actress.

 

“Ok! I'll go pack an overnight bag!” Ji Hyo chirped as she hopped off to pack. Kwang Soo whipped out his mobile and sent a quick text to his mother, informing her about his change of plans.

 

Together, they walked to Kwang Soo's car, chatting happily all the way. Although they had known each other for almost three years, Ji Hyo had never taken a ride in his car. He usually arrived on set in his manager's car, or by hitching a ride with Jong Kook. Which was why Ji Hyo was surprised to see his car – a 2003 Kia Cerato. She had expected the young model turned actor to drive a newer, flashier car. She never thought he would drive such a humble car. Getting into the passenger seat, she buckled up before turning to him, “Kwang Soo-ah. I'm quite surprised that you aren't driving a flashier car. I'm sure you can afford it.” She commented.

 

Kwang Soo appeared pensive for a moment. “Yeah, I guess I could... but I don't see the point. It's such a hassle to drive in Seoul anyway. Plus a flashy car was never really my style.” He explained.

 

Ji Hyo nodded, agreeing with him. “What about impressing the ladies? Girls are attracted to flashy expensive cars! See? This is why you are still single!” She teased, grinning cheekily.

 

Kwang Soo, who had been keying in the co-ordinates into the GPS, had not realised that Ji Hyo was only joking. “But noona, if a girl likes me for my car and dates me because of it. Then that really isn't love. I don't want that. Wealth is not something that is a given. You may lose it one day. I want a girl who loves me for me. Who laughs with me and at me. One whom I can talk about anything and everything under the sun, so that when we grow old and the physical aspects of a relationship fade, we will be each other's best friend, confidant. Not one who loves by how many zeroes there are in my bank book. You didn't date Mr Baek for his car. He was just starting out at the time and you were with him every step of the way. That's what I want, a woman like you.” He declared, frowning slightly.

 

Ji Hyo blushed at his indirect compliment, and when Kwang Soo finally caught on to what he had said, he felt his cheeks redden with embarrassment. “I mean not that I like you. Wait, I mean I do like you. You're one of the best women I've met. I mean not in a romantic way, because that would be so wrong and freaky. I mean not that you are freaky or anything! But it would be totally wrong because you have a boyfriend who would crucify me if I tried anything. Not that I want to try anything.” He stammered.

 

By now, Ji Hyo's eyes had filled with tears from laughing so hard as he tried to explain himself. “STOP! STOP! STOP! You are just making it worse the more you try to explain! I understand what you mean. I'm not so sensitive, so don't worry!” She cried, clutching her stomach.

 

Relieved, Kwang Soo grinned sheepishly.

 

“Come on Romeo, let's set off!” She commanded as she wiped the tears from her eyes. With that, Kwang Soo started the car and set off in the direction that the GPS pointed.

 

Seeing as they were in no rush to get to their destination, Kwang Soo took a leisurely drive, sticking to the smaller country roads rather than the bigger highway so that they could enjoy the emerging spring colours. He turned to look at Ji Hyo and found her hugging herself. He reached over to the consol and turned up the heating in the car. Ji Hyo smiled, “Thanks! I don't like the cold. I wished summer would come soon. I had enough of thick heavy coats.”

 

Kwang Soo laughed, “Is that why even your couch is heated?” He asked.

 

“My couch heated? Whoever heats their couches? I thought only beds had heaters built in.” Ji Hyo said, frowning and looking perplexed.

 

“Well, that's what I thought as well. But this mornin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter