Getting a job

Lonely
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1] Getting a Job [/CONTENTID1]

 

[CONTENTID2]

Yunho, on the couch, flipped through the papers. This is nonsense.

He was focused on his work when his nose detected a strange smell. Before he could detect where it was coming from, however, the door slammed open.

"Hyung!" Junhyung joined him on the couch.

"Hey," Yunho greeted. "Where's Heechul?"

"At the bar. Cooking something, Hyung?" Junhyung asked, sniffing the air as he the television.

"Is someone here?" Yuri called, as she walked out of the kitchen.

"Oh, hello," Yuri greeted awkwardly.

Junhyung left her hanging, watching her carefully instead as she shifted in discomfort.

He furrowed his eyebrows and stood up. I saw her somewhere before.

"Did I ever sleep with you?" Junhyung asked abruptly.

Yuri was taken aback. "No...?" Is this some weird Seoul custom for greeting or something?

"What the hell are you saying Junhyung?" Yunho asked, clearly annoyed.

"No, Hyung. I saw her somewhere... Wait! I remember!" Junhyung exclaimed, pointing at Yuri.

"You know Jaejoong-Hyung right?

"Jaejoong?" Yuri asked, flipping through her brain at the familiarity of the name. "Oh! Kim Jaejoong!"

"Yes! Kim Jaejoong! Isn't he your boyfriend? Why are you here?" Junhyung asked.

Yunho interrupted. "Who's this Kim Jaejoong?"

"He's my boss-slash-close hyung!"

"He's the one that I hurt accidentally that other day," Yuri said sheepishly, when she gasped.

Yuri suddenly ran into the kitchen. He heard her wail, "It's all burnt!"

Yunho smirked, but Junhyung eyed him seriously. "Hyung. Then are you dating her?"

"No. Why? So you could date her?" Yunho joked.

"No... because you seem happier these days..." And Jaejoong-Hyung... "Well I gotta go to work, Hyung! See you later!"

- - -

Now everything makes sense. That's why she was at the apartment.

"Junhyung?" Jaejoong asked.

"Oh yeah?" 

"What are you thinking about? The customer is waiting."

Junhyung looked up to see one of his regulars.

"Oh, Hyung! Sorry!" a startled Junhyung said, before getting back to work.

- - -

The doorbell rang.

Yuri ran to get the door. When she opened it, she found a gorgeous woman standing in front of her.

"Who are you?" the woman asked, looking very perplexed.

"Huh? Me? I'm---" she stopped when she felt Yunho next to her.

"Boa, come in," Yunho said.

The woman, named Boa, reluctantly stepped inside. 

"Jung Yunho, you have a girl now?" she said, trying to sound nonchalant.

Does Boa-sshi like Yunho?

"She's not my girlfriend. She's just living here for awhile," Yunho explained. 

"Oh..." Boa murmured, still sounding unconvinced. "Why?"

Yuri slunk away to her room.

"Because she doesn't have a job yet. I can't leave her out on the streets, can I?"

"Did you know her from before? If not, she's not supposed to have anything to do with you," Boa argued.

Yunho shrugged. "Does it matter? I don't know... I just want to help her?"

Boa wasn't pleased with his answer. "Since when were you such a philanthropist? A man and a woman living in the same "

Yunho snorted. "Is it me you don't trust? You saw her. Does she look like someone who'd jump me?"

Boa frowned. "I wouldn't put it past her."

He raised an eyebrow. "You're here as my client. Let's get to business." he said, taking back his seat at the couch.

- - -

Yuri jumped onto her bed. Silence, except the muffled murmurs outside.

Her mind was restless. Yuri felt all the bad memories trying to fill the silence in her mind.

There was something important I was thinking about just now... Right. What are they talking about?

She tried to seem casual as she came out of her room. Boa glanced at her menacingly before looking back at Yunho. Yuri snuck into the kitchen.

"So, did you gather anything yet?" she heard Yunho ask.

"Nope."

Yuri opened the refrigerator and pretended to be interested in its contents.

"Nothing?" Yunho asked doubtfully.

"Nada," replied Boa nonchalantly.

"Boa. Did you try? You know you can't win this case without proof. What do you expect me to do?"

"I don't really want to win this case."

"Then why did you come?"

Yuri tensed.

"Because I like---"

Yunho interrupted Boa. "Yuri, don't keep the fridge open too long."

"Oh, sorry..." Yuri, flustered, apologized, before hastily taking out some milk and closing the fridge door.

He turned back to Boa. "Yeah?"

"Huh? Nothing..." Boa said, her voice with a hint of dejection.

"Well Boa, there's nothing I can do for you right now if you don't have anything new... I'll continue working on your case in the meantime... Two weeks until the trial, Boa."

"Excusing your client again?" Boa smiled weakly.

Yunho smiled back. "Come back when you get more information, and motivation." He looked at his watch. "It's been 59 minutes since you came. 500,000 Won an hour."

"Okay, whatever you say... Bye Yunho." Boa grinned before leaving.

"See you," he waved and shut the door.

"You can come out now," Yunho called to Yuri.

Yuri came out of the kitchen. "You knew?"

"Do these things amuse you?"

"No..." Yuri grumbled.

"You charge 500,000 Won an hour?" Yuri asked incredulously, trying to change the subject.

"Yes. I think this is the peak I can charge before losing some of my clientele."

"Wow. Do you have like a 100% success rate or something?"

"Around 75%..."

He saw Yuri's confused expression. "It's not bad. It's just that a lot of my clients are unmotivated to win. It's hard to win when your client doesn't really want to win."

"If they're probably unmotivated, why are they willing to pay 500,000 Won an hour?"

Yunho shrugged. "Maybe my looks?"

So he does know...

- - -

Yuri was watching TV, as Yunho still worked on his cases.

There was an impatient knocking on the door.

Yuri opened the door. She found a very pretty man gawking at her.

"Hello... Who are you?" the man asked.

Before Yuri could even answer, he called Yunho. "Is she your new client?"

He gasped. "Or is she-"

"Yes. She's---"

"You're the smell!" Heechul exclaimed to Yuri.

"I'm the smell?" Yuri asked, dumbfounded.

"You're the woman living with him, right?"

Yuri nodded unsurely. 

"I'm getting to meet you now! The name's Heechul," he said, extending his hand.

"Kwon Yuri," she replied, taking his hand.

"Yunho, she's perfect!" Heechul exclaimed.

"For what?" Yunho asked tiredly.

"For our job; we're hiring. Are you looking for a job?"

"You are hiring? And I'm perfect for the job?" Yuri asked, her eyes sparkling with hope.

Heechul nodded. "You're hired."

"Thank you so much!" Yuri shook Heechul's hands repeatedly.

"Do you even know what kind of place you'll be working at?" asked Yunho from the couch.

"Huh? No..."

"Don't take his offer. You can find another job."

"Well, what kind of place is it?" Yuri asked Heechul.

"Oh... Junhyung and I... we work at a club lounge. But it's fine. Nothing weird or anything."

Yunho rolled his eyes at Heechul's last sentence.

"A club? Lounge?" Yuri asked, her excitement dying down. "How much is the pay?"

"50,000 Won an hour."

"50,000 Won an hour?! I'll take it."

"It's a done deal! You start tomorrow," Heechul said, handing her the business card for the bar.

"Thank you," Yuri thanked sincerely.

- - -

Her parents were being consumed in the fire, their faces in horror as they watched her sorrowfully in their last moments.

"Umma! Appa!" Yuri yelled, as she woke up from her nightmare.

Only if it was just a nightmare... It's been 3 years, Kwon Yuri. 

She looked around her and felt her fear of the dark returning. It was too late to fall back asleep. Yuri left her room and quietly made her way out of the apartment. 

- - -

She looked at her watch. It's 5:03 AM. Where should I go?

As Yuri walked down the street, she saw the same old lady from before. She felt heart lighten. "Halmeoni!!!" Yuri called, as she ran to the kind elder.

"Oh! Yuri!" she replied in delight.

"What are you doing so early in the morning, Halmeoni?" Yuri asked as she walked with the senior.

"I'm taking a walk. When you get old, sleep doesn't come as easily... What about you, honey?"

"Oh, I can't sleep for some reason either..." Yuri said, her memory flashing back to earlier. "Halmeoni, would it be okay if I have that tea now?"

Halmeoni broke into a sweet smile. "Of course! I've been waiting for you! Come in!"

She rushed into the house, as Yuri followed her.

"What kind of tea would you like?" she asked.

"Anything is fine, Halmeoni."

"Sit on the couch, Yuri," Halmeoni said.

Yuri took a seat and looked at the pictures on the coffee table. What a cute little kid. That must be her grandson when he was younger... Somehow seems familiar...

"That's my grandson. Wasn't he adorable?" Halmeoni commented as she set the tea on the table.

"He's really cute, Halmeoni," Yuri noted, smiling pleasantly.

"He's around your age now..." she said.

Yuri nodded. "How come you don't live with him?"

"He prefers to live alone... My grandchildren like to be independent," she commented fondly.

"Ah..." Yuri said. Is independence really an excuse to leave someone alone? 

"But my granddaughter visits often, and my grandson, he visits occasionally..."

"Oh, that's good," Yuri said kindly. At least they're better than my brother...

Time flied as Yuri and Halmeoni formally introduced themselves to one another and exchanged conversation.

Yuri looked at the clock. Oh! I've got to prepare for work.

"I'm sorry, Halmeoni! I think I have to go right now for work. First day today!"

The two got up and the elder hugged Yuri goodbye.

- - -

Yuri made pancakes for herself and Yunho, who she believed was still asleep. I'm jealous of his job...

"Not bad, Kwon Yuri," Yuri said, complimenting herself. 

"Yeah?" Yunho asked, as he took a seat across from her.

"You woke up?"

He nodded. "Just now," before taking a bite. "You're right."

Yuri smiled. "Really?"

"Heechul says you have to get to work by 9 normally but to get there a bit earlier today," he said, looking at his watch.

It was 8:30.

Yuri nodded, getting up. "I should get going now."

"How are you going to get there?" Yunho asked, taking another bite of the pancake.

"I'll ask around. It's close by, right?"

"I'll take you today. You'll be late by then," Yunho said, standing up.

"No! It's fine... I'll make it somehow."

Yunho shook his head and took his coat, heading for the door. "It's a favor from Heechul."

Yuri followed. "Okay... Thank you, Yunho."

- - -

"Remember the way I'm going. I can take you for a few days if you don't remember."

Yuri was concentrating on remembering the directions, and let out an "I have good memory."

Yunho glanced at her and smiled.

- - -

"Thanks, Yunho!" Yuri said, waving.

He nodded and smiled, before driving off.

- - -

"Hey, Jaejoong," Heechul greeted, as he put on his uniform. 

"I've got a new recruit. She'll be coming soon."

"Yeah? Is she hot?" Jaejoong asked.

"Very," Heechul said, grinning. "But she's off limits. My friend's girl."

Jaejoong nodded knowingly.

- - -

Yuri took a big breath. First day at work. Kwon Yuri, hwaiting!

- - -

Yuri made her way into the club lounge. Where's Heechul?

"Yuri!" she heard someone call.

She turned around, and let out a breath of relief. Heechul came to her with his arms outstretched..

"Welcome, Yuri!" he greeted, as he put an arm around her shoulder. "Come on, I'll show you around."

Heechul led her around the lounge, which was more classy than she imagined. When he brought her to the bar, she saw Junhyung.

"Junhyung-sshi?"

He turned around and his eyebrows reached the top of his head.

"You guys know each other?" Heechul asked.

"Yeah, from Yunho."

"Oh, yeah huh?" Heechul said, laughing. "I'm so stupid."

"What is she doing here?" Junhyung asked.

"She's the new recruit," Heechul casually said.

Junhyung's mouth formed an O. God, that's awkward.

"I'm going to introduce her to Jaejoong, okay? See you later," Heechul said, taking Yuri and leaving Junhyung dumbfounded.

- - -

He went up an elevator with Yuri. This place is huge.

"He's a nice guy. Just watch out. He's a player," Heechul warned lightly, as the elevator doors opened, to a modern studio.

"Wow," Yuri mused as she looked around.

"Oy! Boss!" He

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter